Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• AngelikaLumiere
    AngelikaLumiere Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Saturday success: I'm wearing the clothes that I have had in the closet for years, refusing to admit that they didn't really fit. :blushing: Anyone else done that? DH asked if I needed to get clothes since I have lost so much. I had to admit that I have plenty. I slept better last night. That has been a huge issue since the surgery.
    Enjoy your weekend. We'll be spending lots of family time. I'm so glad that so many of my children live close by. Kaye
    I recently went to a "western night" at church and wore an outfit that i have had in the closet (I love it and kept trying it on, hoping it would fit) it was nice to see that it not only fit it was comfortable.

SkinnyJeansBound - I have several t shirts that I hate to say g'bye to but the time has come.:cry: I have found that I can wear one of them over a sweater for a layer look and it doesn't look bad.

I got a report on the blood work from my doctor and even though I take vitamin D every day I was way deficient in D. One of the common complaints of living in Oregon. :ohwell: I am hoping that if I take more D I will be able to sleep though the night and if I can get the sleep I need maybe I will get well and start loosing weight again. Here's hoping.:drinker:
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Sunday share: Its been a good weekend. I am a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons). Last night they had a youth cultural celebration in Boise, ID with over 9,000 young people between the ages of 12 and 18 participating. It was delightful to watch. This morning I attended the re-dedication of the Boise Idaho Temple. It was very special and spiritually uplifting. So glad to have such occasions to help me be regenerated and face another day.
    Now I'm going for a walk in the sunshine. Kaye
  • mnwalkingqueen
    mnwalkingqueen Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Happy Day-

My name is Holly until 6 months ago I was a single mom of 16 yr old boy. My bf and I have decided to live together so now there are 5 of us. My bf has a 9 and 12 yr old that he has full custody of. I bought my first house 2 months ago which is a dream I thought I would never see come true so I am very blessed.
    Health wise I have been very over weight for the last 10 yrs. to the point the doctor said I am morribly obese (maybe spelled wrong). I have always liked to walk so I decided to get on track with weight by eating right and walking. This has been a huge challenge because I use food to cope with stress in my life but eventhough I have fallen down many times I have not given up. I stopped tracking food focusing more on working out but I realized that I need to track so I have started up again.
    I also work full time and go to college part time. I am 39 yrs old and live in Mpls MN.
  • susan2396
    susan2396 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    @susan--That's so awesome!! I've heard those color runs are really fun--may do one here in Chicago next summer.

Sunday Share:
    One of my good friends is moving to Switzerland this month. He and his partner will be there for about 2 years and I really want to go visit him this summer. My big plan is to go in July so I can attend the 100th Tour de France. It's my dream to cheer on the riders on a mountainside in the French Alps, and it looks like that dream may come true! I was checking out the route and the closest it will come to Zurich (where they will be living) is Annecy, France. Now I just need to figure out if we should try to go there, or if it will be easier (and cheaper) to travel to Nice or Gap. I tried looking on the Eurorail website, but it was late and my patience ran out quickly. Going to do some more research over Thanksgiving break.

The run was a lot of fun. If you do get a chance to do one, I would recommend it with a bunch of friends. We had about 50 co-workers and everyone started together then found their own pace. It was a blast!! I'll definitely wear a bandana next time to cover my mouth. Air quality is not too good and you'll be blowing blue boogers for awhile. LOL!!!

I love Switzerland!! I had a chance to visit years ago and that is one place I would love to return too. With a place to stay, you can spend your money on the flights, Euro passes, etc. . . Go, go, go!!!!! What an experience!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    @Susan - That is so exciting! You are an inspiration!

Right back at ya!!!!!
  • susan2396
    Options
    Sunday Share: For the past month, I've been in a bit of a funk. I've still been logging in and just got my 105 days of logging notice. Woo Hoo!!!! Well, yesterday I participated in my first 5K, Color Me Rad Las Vegas. It was so much fun, but gave me the little kick in the butt that I needed and what perfect timing - the week of Thanksgiving!!!! I've already gotten in my 60 minute walk today. Great food choices so far and I'm planning the week ahead. We're not doing Thanksgiving until dinnertime so I plan to have a solid workout in the AM. I'm going to exercise every day and stay under calories every day too. Bring it on!!!!!!
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    @susan - congrats on the run!
    @Holly/walkingqueen - bless you! Going from single mom to multi-kidlet family is a huge undertaking - I wish you the best.
    @skinnyjeans - all I can think of about Switzerland is chocolate... :ohwell: and coughdrops. Sounds like it would be a dangerous place for me to visit. :noway: I understand about the 'shirt too big' problem. I got out some things for winter, and they look like potato sacks... can't afford to replace them right now, so I will have to find a way to make do (or just wear them even if they're too big).

sunday share (also probably some venting, so appologies in advance) -
    I'm 55, and have struggled with weight for a long time. I am an emotional eater, for lots of reasons, and this is an extremely difficult thing to change. Particularly when I find myself in one of the crashes my mother used to refer to as "black Irish depression".... which is where I've been residing for what seems like months (in reality, probably just a few weeks). Finances are a big part of the problem this time, so replacing clothes that get too big is... touchy. And that just makes me more upset & wanting to eat... which then just makes me hate myself more... and the spirals just continue.
    I mentioned before that I had found a book called "Shrink Yourself" (about overcoming emotional eating)... I'm still reading it, and yes - I see myself there at every turn. I'm having trouble seeing myself with the strength to overcome right now.... it all seems too huge.
    Again, finances are one of the hurdles that is the hardest... supplements (which have helped me) get so pricy... and let's face it, pasta is cheaper than vegetables. I'm the only steady income in our home - husband tries to make a go of our home-based business - but he has his own issues that limit what he can do. We're struggling to get out from under a mountain of debt that was incurred over many years trying to keep our retail store afloat. I work for the state government, so although most folks seem to think we all get paid exhorbitant amounts of money to do nothing at all... well, we're pretty overworked, definately paid less than the private sector, and there's no such thing as overtime for the hours you put in over 40 a week.

Sorry for the venting... I just don't have a lot of folks I can talk to....

Hope you all have a wonderful weekend, and a stress-free Turkey Day this week.

Vicki
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    Hi Guys! I went for another run today--finished the same route as yesterday in 36 minutes. It's not quite 3 miles--about 2.8--but I also have gunner with me for half of it and he needs to stop here and there to sniff and mark, so I'm happy with the pace. I don't usually run 2 days in a row, but with the Turkey Trot on Thursday, I figured I'd better. Tomorrow will be a rest day (or maybe core work) and a friend is in from out of town, so I will be meeting her after school. Tuesday I will try one more quick run and then rest on Wed.

@susan--yeah, I'm traveling with a fiend from work. Her mother works for United, so she's a veteran traveler which makes me happy since I am NOT. We are fortunate to have lodging in Zurich since it's such an expensive city. Not sure whether we will travel by train or rent a car while there. We are going to sit down and try to map out an itinerary in the next week or two, so we can at least book our flights.

@angelika--thanks for the tip about layering; I hadn't though of that idea. Also, is vitamin D deficiency supposed to interfere with sleep? I know my doc said my levles were low and recommended a daily supplement, but I'm really bad about taking it. If I take vitamins on an empty stomach they make me really nauseous, but I'm terrible about remembering to take them after dinner. However, if they will help me sleep better, that would be added motivation for me to buckle down and take them--I'm a terrible insomniac!

Updated Grading Goals:
    1. x/49 AP Tone tests
    2. x/11 AP analysis activities
    3. x/22 2-paragraph responses
    4. re-read Grendel DONE!
    5. 2222 pronoun/antecedent agreement tests DONE!
    6. x/49 AP essays

Going to get started on grading goal #3.
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Hello to all my friends here, I feel like I have been gone for years. Still fighting the Sinus infection but picking up antibiotic which should help. One of my sons told me to use this sinus rinse which I tried and it is the most disgusting thing I think I have ever done but I have to say my ear isn't hurting as bad although the left side of my face is still swollen. The best thing that happened to me today was I had an epithany in one of my devotionals I read. It talked about self-control being a fruit of the Spirit (Gal. 5:22) and I realized I hadn't been praying for self-control in a while. Today I did and I have received the gift of self-control over my food, now I just have to get it in relationship to my computer time.:laugh:

Susan, congrats on the 5K!
    Sorry to everyone else, but my head is too full of gunk to remember any thing else. Praying every one has a great evening. Love you all!

Christine
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Here's a great link to a just-posted topic by a lady who had just completed her loss of 100 lbs. It took her 4 years but she did it:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/799479-100lbs-and-74-75-inches-gone

mackbeth - good luck on your job interview on Monday - I'll be praying for you. Also, what a cool project you're doing with your mom. I think the quilt idea is splendid. You'll be able to reminisce over each patch as the years go on - that will be nice!

Skinny - your trip and your wish to see the Tour de France sounds so exciting. What a bucket list fulfillment opportunity this is - it is going to be so picturesque up there in the Alps with the bikes whistling by - and surely a year with no doping controversy to spoil the outcome either!

Angelika - I hope your increasing the Vit. D helps you sleep. Life is just awful and everything is thrown out of whack when you don't get enough rest. I feel bad for you.

GrandmaKaye - so glad you had a blissful day. Temples, churches and other houses of prayer and strike me with a reverential spirit and sense of calm when I enter them I can't help but feel connected to a higher power.

Vicki - thanks for sharing where you're at right now. It's tough to struggle alone and its hard to find someone to listen when we need to vent. You really do have a huge boatload of problems on your shoulders - financial problems are the worst, worst, worst problems to have. They are so awfully cut and dried with no wiggle room anywhere from anyone!. I understand what you mean when people hear you're a state employee and they think you're on the gravy train; because, I have a friend in the same position, and she's underpaid and way overworked, and her husband depends on her job for the insurance coverage and the like. So she's the responsible one, in a way, because health insurance is so important to our survival anymore!
    If you want to talk more, you can PM me. I've had my share of depressions too.

Monarchris - glad you've gotten on antibiotics!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    Speaking of clothes getting too big and not having money to buy new clothes, or wanting to salvage something favorite that's too big, here's a great article on altering clothes on the fly:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/alannaokun/20-easy-tricks-for-improving-vintage-clothes
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    @robin--Yes, it really is a bucket list item for me! I'm trying not to get my hopes too high on the Tour de France part of the trip as it may turn out to be impossible logistically or financially. A lot of hotels are already booked during Tour dates, and we still need to figure out travel from Zurich to France, but my fingers are crossed that we can work it out. Oh, and thanks for the links--love the clothing ideas!

@christine--glad you are feeling a bit better. Antibiotics are a must for a sinus infection--I just finished my last dose and feel much better!

@vickie--sorry for your financial troubles. As a public school teacher, I can sympathize. Yes, we do make 7-9% less than people in the private sector, but we are often treated like leeches who suck away tax dollars--it can be disheartening to say the least. I have also been dealing with some debt, though I feel I am finally making a livable wage and see some light at the end of the debt tunnel. After 13 years and thousands of dollars on higher degrees, I am not scrambling so much to make the bills every month. Still have a lot of debt, but zero car payments for the time being. In fact, when discussing the Switzerland trip with my hubby, I agreed to wait another year to replace my 9+ year old car in order to take advantage of this once-in-a-lifetime opportunity. I hope you can get things under control and that the book you are reading helps. :flowerforyou:

Thanks for all of the advice regarding the clothes that are too big. One tip I will share (though it won't work with t-shirts) is belting dress shirts and even sweaters to keep them from looking too sloppy--I know it's not rocket-science, but I honestly hadn't thought of doing it until one of my colleagues made the suggestion.

@lmack--I forgot to say good luck on your interview!! Also, for any of the clothes you can't use in the quilt, or for leftover materials in general, some charities accept what they term "fiber donations." Basically it means any clothes that aren't fit for wearing can still be recycled in other ways, so you can still donate them. I usually just label the bag "fibers" so they know I'm not some crazy person who thinks the clothes are still wearable. Just check with the charity1st--I'm pretty sure the National Cancer Federation takes them.

Grading Goals:
    1. x/49 AP Tone tests
    2. x/11 AP analysis activities
    3. 22/22 2-paragraph responses DONE!!
    4. re-read Grendel DONE!
    5. 2222 pronoun/antecedent agreement tests DONE!
    6. x/49 AP essays

Yay! I finished my 3 priorities for the weekend. :bigsmile: Hope to get #1 and #2 finished during my prep periods tomorrow and Tuesday, so I will only have the AP essays left for Thanksgiving Break.
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    Well, the grandkids got here before I got out for walk, but we had a delightful family afternoon and evening. I hope the sun will shine again tomorrow.
    I have a hard time zeroing on personal comments, but I find inspiration in all of them and fell for those of you that are struggling.
    Kaye
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    Well, I enjoyed the day at the movies and saw Lincoln. It was very well done and managed to keep my attention throughout the whole movie. I am not a history buff but I thought it was very well done and it was interesting to see the debate Lincoln had with himself over the freeing of the slaves.

Karen, I hope that you get to the Tour De France and to visit your friends. What a wonderful opportunity you have in front of you!!

I will be doing the 3 mile race on Thanksgiving with my SIL. It should be interesting. We might go for 5, but not sure yet. I am excited about this opportunity and looking forward to the fun of doing something new.

I hope everyone has a great week.
  • jtconst
    jtconst Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. Well I fell off the wagon hard today. I ate an entire medium pizza hut pepperoni pizza. I had ordered it and ate 2 slices for my dinner and then my husband called. As you know he works on a fishing boat in alaska and they are in the process of steaming the boat home to Seattle for the winter retro fit. Apparentley he started feeling sick yesterday and started getting stabbing pains in his belly. The boat perssur has been in contact with the company dr and they are giving him some meds for the pain but if it is something serious there is nothing that can be done till they get to port which wont be until friday or saturday. Needless to say I am extremley worried and turned to old habits of food for solace and ate the rest of the pizza. Not a great choice since now I am worried and sick at the same time. It is so hard when there is nothing I can do and just enough medical training to be able to think of all the worst case scenarios. Well I hope everyone else is feeling good and has a good night.
  • nicholsvj
    nicholsvj Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hey everyone,

I've missed you all! It's been a crazy couple of months. The good news is I think I have finally started loosing again. I've settled in at a new pants size and have stuff that is 2 sizes smaller then when I started - even went to a ball a few weeks ago and bought a dress 2 sizes smaller than last dress I bought. So I am hoping I can drop another 20-30 lbs over the next 3-4 months before plateauing again! Quite frankly, as much as plateaus suck, I really don't mind as long as my body is still changing in other ways.

I'm hoping to work out daily again starting tomorrow. And starting today, I'm hoping to check in here daily again!

Nicholsvj!
  • vickimieth
    vickimieth Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Hello friends. Well I fell off the wagon hard today. I ate an entire medium pizza hut pepperoni pizza. I had ordered it and ate 2 slices for my dinner and then my husband called. As you know he works on a fishing boat in alaska and they are in the process of steaming the boat home to Seattle for the winter retro fit. Apparentley he started feeling sick yesterday and started getting stabbing pains in his belly. The boat perssur has been in contact with the company dr and they are giving him some meds for the pain but if it is something serious there is nothing that can be done till they get to port which wont be until friday or saturday. Needless to say I am extremley worried and turned to old habits of food for solace and ate the rest of the pizza. Not a great choice since now I am worried and sick at the same time. It is so hard when there is nothing I can do and just enough medical training to be able to think of all the worst case scenarios. Well I hope everyone else is feeling good and has a good night.

Oh, Jt -- I hope everything turns out ok. I can completely relate to the pizza binge, believe me (I've been there too recently).
    And thank you and your husband for the work he does - as a person who craves seafood, I appreciate those who work for that harvest (and I was always a huge fan of Discovery channel's "Deadliest Catch" show - so I have a real soft spot for the Alaska fishing crews).

big hugs your way..
  • grandmakaye44
    Options
    So sorry for your concern. It must be very hard. Try to take care of yourself so you can help him when he gets home.
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    @Jt So sorry to hear about your husband. Praying for him that all will be ok. Take care of yourself too . Sending you a big hug!

Liz
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Happy Day up early meet with my firends been a part of a wives group for years we meet weekly pray together share our lives, our weeks with, read normally a book like now a tape series by Beth Moore, and pray for each other, than onward to church after wards we had our thanksgiving potluck. I didn't do too bad lots of carbs though. able to get out the Richard simmons video sweatin to the oldies 2. Did the best i can makes my daughter laugh but ohwell.

The house is clean, food bought so ready to go i think.

Clothes I like them but still in the very fat sizes :embarassed: Was getting so fat i almost couln't buy a just my size clothes at walmart because some 5x's too tight. thought i be shopping Roman's catologs only. But now i am comfortable in a 4x but so far too go. so look forward to the day when I will be able to wear regular size clothes.

Congrats to all of the successes scale or nsv's ! Hugs to all who is hurting, struggling.

Love, Liz