Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @Skinny :laugh: on the bf comment :laugh: It is such a foreign idea for me.... I have a boyfriend? As mature adults, do we really even call people that? :laugh: As far as the evil hip... it seems to be when I go faster that it gets worse. I pace myself and I can walk over 3 miles, but I try to speed up on a one mile walk, and the hip feels like it exploded? :noway: Not okay... but I guess I will just deal with it and hope that it works its way out.

@Christine - thanks. It just isn't fair that our minds are so ready to overcome our limits, but our bodies will not comply. But I guess all we can do is take the baby steps and feel good about them. 4 months ago, I couldn't walk a half a block without getting winded... and today, as long as I take it slow, I can do so much more. So I guess we take it slow. We can do this :smile:

Saturday success - I only ate out twice since I said I would give up fast food. Once was due to scheduling (I still hadn't made it to the grocery, and was starving on my way home from class). The other was dinner with the guy last night. Even with that, I had a taco salad, which wasn't too terrible. (the chips are another story, but I will forgive myself). I met his daughter, so eating out was the least awkward way to do things... then we ran around at the park, so I may have redeemed myself there.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    This is a MUST READ for all of us!! Whether you are a runner who feels inadequate running the track at your local park, or a non-runner who is "gym-shy," PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this!!!

http://flintland.blogspot.com/2012/05/hey-fat-girl.html
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @nicole--ok, but do you speed up by walking faster or by running? The reason I ask is that it takes a different motion to run than walk. Before I started running I used to do the elliptical, but I developed hip problems from it. I found that I would get hip pain when walking really fast, but the motion of running didn't aggravate it as much. Just something to test with your own hip. Oh, and good job limiting the eating out!

@sally--great job with the running!! And I totally agree with you about the support here--I've been a part of this thread for over a year and would have quit long ago without these people--they are so awesome!! :heart:

@susan--wonderful loss!! :drinker:

@jt--congrats on your new addition--I'm a "big dog" person, but Poms are super cute!

I will check back with Saturday success later. :flowerforyou:

Mon--walk dog + core DONE!!!
    Tues--walk dog + gym (weight machines + stationary bike) DONE!!!
    Wed--long run outside SKIPPED THIS DUE TO RAIN + core DONE!!!
    Thurs--walk dog DONE!!!
    Friday--walk dog DONE!!! + core
    Sat--walk dog + gym (weight machines + stairmaster and/or stationary bike)
    Sun--long run outside +core

Grading goals:
    1. AP test corrections
    2. quiz extra-credit
    3. x/22 two paragraph responses
    4. finish re-reading The Awakening
    5. x/22 Punctuation quizzes
    6. re-read Montana 1948
  • kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    This is a MUST READ for all of us!! Whether you are a runner who feels inadequate running the track at your local park, or a non-runner who is "gym-shy," PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE read this!!!

Awesome read!
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    I thought of a Saturday success that really isn't about me, but it made me so happy I wanted to share.

It was Homecoming Week at our HS, so Friday was our pep assembly where they announce the HC King and Queen. At our HS this isn't a popularity contest. Only teachers and staff can nominate students and it's based on service, leadership, and involvement in the school community. However, once the teachers make nominations, it's still up to Student Council to determine who makes it onto the ballot, and of course the student body votes for the winner for each grade level Prince & Princess and the seniors vote for King & Queen.

Anyway, this year our seniors voted a wheel-chair bound student who has cerebral palsy as the HC King. I supervise the senior stands and as the announcements were being made, I could hear kids all around me saying "I hope it's Casey" "It better be Casey" "Oh, let it be Casey." When Casey won the roar was deafening, and all of the kids jumped to their feet in a standing ovation for him. This is a boy who, despite his differences, has been an integral member of many activities at the HS--he belongs to numerous clubs and serves as the Stats Manager for the Boys Basketball Team. I was so proud of our students for recognizing him and understanding the barriers he struggles to overcome on a daily basis.

To make the moment even sweeter, Casey's dad was there to witness it. When Casey's condition progressed to the point where he needed an aide throughout the school-day, Casey's dad quit his job and went back to school to get certification so he could serve as Casey's one-on-one aide. It was a huge sacrifice--he gave up a lucrative business career for a job that probably pays less than $15/hour--but he wanted to be there for his son. He's also the one who brings Casey to every club meeting, basketball game, and school activity so his son can be an involved member of the student body. It was so nice that he got to see first-hand how his own sacrifice paid off for his son.

Anyway, even though I often complain about "those darned teenagers" I teach, this was their moment to teach me what great kids they are.
  • kah68
    Options
    Good Morning.

Well, the promised cold front made it through and its a cool, crisp morning. So nice not to have the a/c on and the windows open! Problem is my coffee is cooling off to quickly! :laugh:

I really need to figure out my day - Pebbles actually let me sleep a bit later this morning (maybe it was the cold air?) and its 10 already, I'm used to her getting me up at 6am. I have clothes shopping to do, grocery shopping to do, and need to go to the gym. I guess I could put on some warmer clothes and go for a run/walk outside instead of the gym - I haven't run/walked on pavement since I tore my meniscus in April, makes me kind of nervous. I'm doing a 5k with my trainer on New Year's Day so need to get used to the pavement again.

Saturday Success~I did lose 2.6# this week and I'm just 4# away from hitting that century mark. Hope to cross that threshold in the next couple of weeks - I panicked last time I got this close (sounds strange, I know).
  • kah68
    Options
    I thought of a Saturday success that really isn't about me, but it made me so happy I wanted to share.

It was Homecoming Week at our HS, so Friday was our pep assembly where they announce the HC King and Queen. At our HS this isn't a popularity contest. Only teachers and staff can nominate students and it's based on service, leadership, and involvement in the school community. However, once the teachers make nominations, it's still up to Student Council to determine who makes it onto the ballot, and of course the student body votes for the winner for each grade level Prince & Princess and the seniors vote for King & Queen.

Anyway, this year our seniors voted a wheel-chair bound student who has cerebral palsy as the HC King. I supervise the senior stands and as the announcements were being made, I could hear kids all around me saying "I hope it's Casey" "It better be Casey" "Oh, let it be Casey." When Casey won the roar was deafening, and all of the kids jumped to their feet in a standing ovation for him. This is a boy who, despite his differences, has been an integral member of many activities at the HS--he belongs to numerous clubs and serves as the Stats Manager for the Boys Basketball Team. I was so proud of our students for recognizing him and understanding the barriers he struggles to overcome on a daily basis.

To make the moment even sweeter, Casey's dad was there to witness it. When Casey's condition progressed to the point where he needed an aide throughout the school-day, Casey's dad quit his job and went back to school to get certification so he could serve as Casey's one-on-one aide. It was a huge sacrifice--he gave up a lucrative business career for a job that probably pays less than $15/hour--but he wanted to be there for his son. He's also the one who brings Casey to every club meeting, basketball game, and school activity so his son can be an involved member of the student body. It was so nice that he got to see first-hand how his own sacrifice paid off for his son.

Anyway, even though I often complain about "those darned teenagers" I teach, this was their moment to teach me what great kids they are.

Karen, that is the sweetest story ever - are you trying to make me cry today?! :wink: You teach at an amazing school and sounds like you are surrounded by greatness (even some of those pesky teenagers).
  • naceto
    naceto Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    @nicole--ok, but do you speed up by walking faster or by running? The reason I ask is that it takes a different motion to run than walk. Before I started running I used to do the elliptical, but I developed hip problems from it. I found that I would get hip pain when walking really fast, but the motion of running didn't aggravate it as much. Just something to test with your own hip. Oh, and good job limiting the eating out!

OH! I walk faster... I have been too scared to try to run. Should I just try to run, you think.... what can it hurt? It isn't like I don't know what to do if it hurts. LOVE the "hey fat girl"... made me cry. Sweet story about Casey... Anthony has homecoming tonight, but isn't sure if he wants to go.
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    "tomatoes? Noooooooooo! picture me with my hand in the air like charlton heston at the end of Soilent Green."

@Toots - :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

it's an easy visual picture though, isn't it lol
  • 2S_1R
    2S_1R Posts: 171
    Options
    Saturday success: Did my 10K :) It was really really tough and very hilly, but i finished, and with a 12:10 pace. I call that good.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    GrandmaKaye - Glad you got there safely.

Susan - Sounds like you're on track! That's great, keep up the good work!

Skinny- What a wonderful uplifting post. Thank you, it certainly puts things in perspective.

@Toots & Naceto - Anyone who tells me I can't eat tomatoes (or cheese) better run.....fast.

Saturday success - My TOM really effects my weight loss. Meaning the majority of my lbs are lost from two days before until it ends. Then the scale hardly moves for the next three weeks. This means I have to have a LOT of faith in the process of weight loss most of the time. Unfortunately it also means I don't know if my diet/exercise needs tweaking until a lot of time has passed. So, this week the scale dropped about 4 lbs for me which puts me @ a 30 day average of 7lbs (I aim for 8-9lbs). Which means I've been a little bit loose with the portions/calories.

:) Time to firm up on exercise and buckle down a bit on the eating!
  • Garetie
    Garetie Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    @skinny- read the article~ total inspirational~ and the story Casey made me cry, but that won't suprise you.
    :heart:
  • kah68
    Options
    I opted to do cardio outside this morning, put on my Cuddlduds under my workout clothes and did W1D1 of C25K with much success - knee didn't bother me AT ALL which = me happy!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: Now time to stretch, shower and get my day started.

OH! I walk faster... I have been too scared to try to run. Should I just try to run, you think.... what can it hurt? It isn't like I don't know what to do if it hurts. LOVE the "hey fat girl"... made me cry. Sweet story about Casey... Anthony has homecoming tonight, but isn't sure if he wants to go.

All you can do is try and see how it feels. When you run you use a shorter stride, my IT bands tend to bother me after running on pavement but I stretch with a foam roller really well afterwards to help keep things loose.
  • Morgori
    Morgori Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    Good morning everyone!

@grandmakaye44- Best wishes for your surgery!
    @aug—Best wishes for your upcoming carpal tunnel surgery!
    @robin- Good article on page 5 of this thread about carbs!
    @ MyM0wM0w - "You're not a dog, you don't need to be rewarded with FOOD." I needed that.
    @ lmackbethl- I used I live in Cheshire and still have family in CT.
    @ trhjrh06- Great SV!
    @Sunshine Freckles – Way to go on your 10K!
    @ Monarchris – Glad the scale is moving the right way for you!
    @Toots- “tomatoes? Noooooooooo! picture me with my hand in the air like charlton heston at the end of Soilent Green.” Love that movie, I own the DVD. “no white bread, no sugar, no white flour or wheat flower, no soy, no white rice, no dairy no estrongenized food, no food with more than five ingredients, no high-fructose corn syrup, no MSG, no hydrogenated oils and then on and on from there” that sounds like the NO diet! Best wishes with that.
    @kah68 – “I kind of eat anti-inflammatory, I'm not following any specific diet for it but just trying to avoid foods that cause inflammation. Its one of the reasons I've cut out dairy, foods that contain flour, and started buying organic free-range chicken and poultry. I can say that I feel A LOT better since I started watching these foods.” I am considering that approach, but giving up anything completely is a problem for me. I will probably try cutting down on the foods that cause inflammation but I doubt I can completely cut them out.
    @Susan2396 – “Today was my second month check-in with the dietician and I'm down 8 lbs this month. I'll take it!!!!” Good for you, nice loss! Hope you are glad that the heat should be leaving the valley soon. I live in the next town over. I am curious about Dieticians and probably should go to one for my diabetes type 2 and over all health. Anyone have tips on Dieticians?

I hate smoke detectors! The one at the highest point in my house needs a new battery. Me on ladders is not a good thing. Why doesn’t someone make a sensor that mounts high and a battery for it that mounts where this fat guy can reach it without a ladder?:explode: :mad: :devil:

Thanks to those that posted these links recently:

http://theconsciouslife.com/anti-inflammation-resources

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-18770328

http://www.startwalkingnow.org/res_walkmore_walking101.jsp

http://pcosdiva.com/

www.livestrong.com

Have a healthy weekend everyone!

Tom
  • LAMypie
    LAMypie Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Hey all! I know I've been MIA for like a month. Sorry about that. Been a rough couple weeks. More on that later, maybe.

@Skinny - Your story made me cry. I love to hear about kids who over come and kids who don't beat down the one trying to do the over coming! Sounds like a great group of kids in that school! Awesome dad too.

So, Saturday success is it? Why yes! Yes it is! :love: I have been more than a little down at my lack of progress over the summer. An average of .5/wk, when my goal is 2/wk...yeah. And the fact that my measurements weren't going down either. Well, Fridays are my weigh in days and also when I take measurements once a month or so. I noticed it had been over 2 months since I measured last, so I bit my tongue and grabbed my tape. Neck, no change, figures. Calves...went up an inch last time (started weights), so I had no hope, but actually was down an inch! Thighs, no chance since I started...BUT lost 1.5"!!!!!!!! An inch from my upper arms, rib cage, and hips (such as they are. more like lower belly fat). And a whopping 4" from my waist! Add to that a full 2 lb loss, I was so happy! Not to mention that my blood pressure is now in the normal range. Barely, but I'll take it! I had hoped to be closer to a 70 lb loss by the 7 month mark, but I am so happy. I haven't put any of it back on, and my overall health is so much better! An NSV too boot Friday. I had to go do some business, but they were working on the road on the square, so I had to park about a block away, and since I was in a hurry, power walk there, do my stuff and back to the car. I got in, started her up, and realized...I'm not out of breath!!!!!! How long has it been since I could walk more than 10 feet without getting out of breath? I don't know. That was so HUGE! I may not be able to see the results I'm getting, but they're there. And they're going to keep coming!

Well, I have taken up enough space for now.
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Praying everyone's Saturday is going well. I am having a great day even though Belle woke me up at 5:30 this morning wanting me to let her out:grumble: . I lost another 1.5 today for a total of 3.5 lbs for the week. It is funny how my body loses weight now. I will go 2 to 3 weeks the same and then I'll have a big drop. I am greatful for MFP friends for all the support and motivation to keep on this journey. I was thinking of changing my settings to lose faster but decided I had tried that kind of dieting so many times and failed because I would get so hungry I would binge and then give up. So I will continue at this pace no matter how long it takes because I can live with this the rest of my life. I guess that is my Saturday success.

Skinny, loved the story about Casey. We had a hs here in KC that elected a young woman with Down Syndrome as Homecoming Queen a week ago. As a grandmother of a 5 year-old granddaughter with DS it is comforting to know that she will have opportunities just as her "normal" peers do. Brought tears to my eyes. Going to the website you listed when done here.

Love you all, have a great weekend!

Christine
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @Toots- “tomatoes? Noooooooooo! picture me with my hand in the air like charlton heston at the end of Soilent Green.” Love that movie, I own the DVD. “no white bread, no sugar, no white flour or wheat flower, no soy, no white rice, no dairy no estrongenized food, no food with more than five ingredients, no high-fructose corn syrup, no MSG, no hydrogenated oils and then on and on from there” that sounds like the NO diet! Best wishes with that.

it's a good movie. holds up even with the cravat lol. yeah, it sounds like no diet to me too. better be worth it hahah
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,133 Member
    Options
    Hey, anyone who's interested. Soylent Green is not apparently available on streaming Netflix BUT it is available on Amazon instant video. Not a Prime Video---$2.99 rental.

You're making me want to watch it again! :-}
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Skinnyjeans Thank you for sharing. It brings tears to my eyes.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    Options
    @christine--From posts on here, I think that pattern is pretty common. I know I used to have the same experience--3 weeks of nothing then a few lbs all at once. As kris said, it means we have to have faith in the process and LOTS of patience. Even with no loss over the past couple of months, I know I just need to keep at it. Oh, and I love that it's not just at my HS that kids are so great!

@lamypie--congrats on the lbs. & inches lost and the awesome NSV. I remember the 1st time I realized I wasn't out of breath from climbing the stairs to my classroom--great feeling! :flowerforyou:

@nicole--I agree with kelley--try running and see how it feels. A slow jog is a lot easier for me than walking super-fast.

@sunshine--congrats on the 10k--that's incredible! And your pace was awesome--my last 5k pace was only 12:05 so you are a rockstar in my book! :drinker:

@everyone who cried when reading the Casey story--try being there!! I'm NOT a crier (garetie can vouch for me) and I was crying when it happened, again when typing the story for you guys, and yet again when I told my husband about it.

Saturday Success:
    I went to the gym and had a pretty good workout. Did my weight machines then the stair-master. I really wasn't feeling it on that machine today, but I finished my 15 minutes. Only climbed 52 flights vs. my usual 56-58, so yeah, I was dragging butt. Then I did the stationary bike and decided to try to push myself for more that my usual 5 miles in 20 minutes. I increased the resistance but still kept my rotations near 100 rpm and managed to squeak out an extra third of a mile, then I did a cool down until I got to 6 miles.

Mon--walk dog + core DONE!!!
    Tues--walk dog + gym (weight machines + stationary bike) DONE!!!
    Wed--long run outside SKIPPED THIS DUE TO RAIN + core DONE!!!
    Thurs--walk dog DONE!!!
    Friday--walk dog DONE!!! + core (never did this)
    Sat--walk dog DONE!!! + gym (weight machines + stairmaster and/or stationary bike) DONE!!!
    Sun--long run outside +core

Now I'm at starbucks getting ready to power through some of this grading.

Grading goals:
    1. AP test corrections
    2. quiz extra-credit
    3. x/22 two paragraph responses
    4. finish re-reading The Awakening
    5. x/22 Punctuation quizzes
    6. re-read Montana 1948