Do you think milk is safe?

Options

Replies

• freindsofmine
    freindsofmine Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    No milk here ,its about money ,meat and milk big money wouldn't want to lose a dime ,no matter what the cost
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    No milk here ,its about money ,meat and milk big money wouldn't want to lose a dime ,no matter what the cost

Isn't anything you buy about that?
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    Options

Isn't anything you buy about that?

Exactly! If we didn't pay competitive wages for goods and services, they'd be called "charity".
  • Mads1997
    Mads1997 Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    OP Those woman at the table were going to get cancer whether drank milk or not, period. woman in the US alone have a 38% chance they will get cancer in their lifetime from one thing or another , males 44% and that's not from drinking bloody cows milk.

So drink up!!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    OP Those woman at the table were going to get cancer whether drank milk or not, period. woman in the US alone have a 38% chance they will get cancer in their lifetime from one thing or another , males 44% and that's not from drinking bloody cows milk.

So drink up!!

Hmmm, I wouldn't drink milk if it were bloody. But maybe that's just me. :smokin:
  • rachelbethany
    rachelbethany Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    I don't know, but for me, it's not. It gives me TERRIBLE stomach problems. I eat dairy a lot anyway, because I love it, but it makes me QUITE ill. And I'm definitely not the only one. So why not avoid it when possible? There are so many healthy alternatives.
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
    I've always been a milk drinker, I absolutely love it just like I love most other dairies. It's a good source of certain positive nutrients for me and so far at 26 years old, it hasn't done anything harmful to me.

ANYTHING can cause cancer these days. Not that long ago we were all being told that our cell phones caused brain tumors. That didn't stop all of you from constantly being on them every day.
  • SofaKingRad_
    Options
    9ba0992f.jpg
  • SHHitsKaty
    Options
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.....blood.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Mmmm.....blood.

Love boudin.
    And I eat French unpasturized cheese. Should I write my will now?
  • stacy_1971
    stacy_1971 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Honestly, they say everything causes cancer these days so I myself am not gonna worry about it. Love my milk and will continue to drink it.

Amen.

(Although I personally avoid milk because I think it tastes gross, but I'm all for consuming other dairy products)
  • jorge654
    Options
    Milk is safe. everything in excess is bad. Cancer is and irritation. The irritation is the action of what the cows eat. If the cows eat feed contamitated with funge we have problems. Funge is a plant in the border line. Or is an animal in the borderline. Animals can walk but fungi can not. Animals defecate but fungi does. Every time the fungi defecates they poison the matirial they are eating in order to defend them self. When you analisis the manuer of the fungi it is hi on toxins. called aflatoxins, there are many tapes as many fungi.
    If the concentration of the aflatoxins is to hi on the feed animals can die. If they have more than 20 parts per million. If the feed is lower than 20 pmm the cows do not die. They may loss some of there production. The problem is that this milk is going to have aflatoxins since the cow transfer the toxins to the milk.

If you have a cow farm is not a good business to feed the cows with toxins. Not more than 5pmm

Our milk industry at USA is safe because we do not give animals feed with aflatoxins. It is not good for the pocket and not good for the clients of the milk.
  • sjhaar
    sjhaar Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I think if you look hard enough on the internet you will find whatever you want to support your position. I've never been a milk fan, my kids don't get it, we don't buy it. It's a personal choice with me. I was raised on natural beef and cow's milk from a cow in the back yard. When a product to me tastes entirely different from the store than it does from the source, I've cautious of it and formed my own opinion. I certainly wouldn't let anyone at church or an internet forum board form your opinion for you.
    Very well said!
  • 1Whitchick
    Options
    I personally like milk, and cheese, and pretty much anything dairy. My preference is my own fresh goat's milk (it digests easier and faster than cow's), but since I can't have that right now, I'm grateful to have a source for local, fresh, raw cow's milk. My 3 & 4 year old girls love it, and I occasionally have it with cereal. I try not to buy dead milk from the grocery store, and if I have to buy it there, I go for organic, raw. It's expensive, but worth it to me to avoid the hormones, etc. That said, I believe that all things should be in moderation. That's my 2 cent's worth. :)
  • AnnaMaus
    AnnaMaus Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it.

The work of Ganmaa Davaasambuu's team at Harvard is worth a look. It compares the levels of estrogen and progesterone in industrially produced cow milk with that of cow milk in herding societies in Mongolia.

Even without rBGH, when the animals are kept pregnant and milked almost every day of the year, the risks change. The estrogen and progesterone in the milk of a pregnant cow is hundreds of times higher than the milk of a non-pregnant cow.

Interesting work. However, from what I can tell there is some correlation but this is admitted to be circumstantial. The actual risks noted from studies were on rats. Also, the studies on the correlation show a possible correlation with full fat milk and none with skim.

The 2007 study was done with school chiIdren in Boston and Ulaanbaatur, looking at the effects of drinking milk on somatotropic hormone levels in their blood plasma. Drinking milk was found to increase growth hormone and insulin-like growth hormone, with higher increases of hormones in the blood plasma of children who drank full fat milk (over lowfat).

The 2002 study on dairy consumption and testis cancer covered people in 42 countries and the findings were significant enough to be published in the International Journal of Cancer. The final sentence of the abstract reads, "The results of our study suggest an important role of milk and dairy products in the development and growth of testis and prostate cancers. The close correlation between cheese and testis cancer and between milk and prostate cancer suggests that further mechanistic studies should be undertaken concerning the development of male genital organ cancers."

These studies are a contribution to a large body of work not on milk drinking per se, but the absorption of orally delivered animal hormones, many of which are consumed in dairy. Strong correlation between incidences of hormone-receptive cancers and dairy consumption comes out of it.

We know dairy naturally contains hormones, which are readily absorbed into the bloodstream, which are significantly increased under contemporary conditions of dairy production. We also know there is a sufficient quantity of hormone that will play a important role in receptive cell reproduction, including abnormal cells. What ceteris paribus is the threshold for breast, testis, prostate cancer? It will be good to learn. I hope the studies continue.

Consuming dairy with the levels of hormones that currently exist certainly doesn't do nothing.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    I don't drink it.

The work of Ganmaa Davaasambuu's team at Harvard is worth a look. It compares the levels of estrogen and progesterone in industrially produced cow milk with that of cow milk in herding societies in Mongolia.

Even without rBGH, when the animals are kept pregnant and milked almost every day of the year, the risks change. The estrogen and progesterone in the milk of a pregnant cow is hundreds of times higher than the milk of a non-pregnant cow.

Interesting work. However, from what I can tell there is some correlation but this is admitted to be circumstantial. The actual risks noted from studies were on rats. Also, the studies on the correlation show a possible correlation with full fat milk and none with skim.

The 2007 study was done with school chiIdren in Boston and Ulaanbaatur, looking at the effects of drinking milk on somatotropic hormone levels in their blood plasma. Drinking milk was found to increase growth hormone and insulin-like growth hormone, with higher increases of hormones in the blood plasma of children who drank full fat milk (over lowfat).

The 2002 study on dairy consumption and testis cancer covered people in 42 countries and the findings were significant enough to be published in the International Journal of Cancer. The final sentence of the abstract reads, "The results of our study suggest an important role of milk and dairy products in the development and growth of testis and prostate cancers. The close correlation between cheese and testis cancer and between milk and prostate cancer suggests that further mechanistic studies should be undertaken concerning the development of male genital organ cancers."

These studies are a contribution to a large body of work not on milk drinking per se, but the absorption of orally delivered animal hormones, many of which are consumed in dairy. Strong correlation between incidences of hormone-receptive cancers and dairy consumption comes out of it.

We know dairy naturally contains hormones, which are readily absorbed into the bloodstream, which are significantly increased under contemporary conditions of dairy production. We also know there is a sufficient quantity of hormone that will play a important role in receptive cell reproduction, including abnormal cells. What ceteris paribus is the threshold for breast, testis, prostate cancer? It will be good to learn. I hope the studies continue.

Consuming dairy with the levels of hormones that currently exist certainly doesn't do nothing.

From what I read, which admittedly was from an article as I have not seen the actual studies:

The 2007 study showed a possible correlation between full fat milk and HGH (skim milk being similar in HGH to the 'control' of non mass produced milk from Mongolia). It did not necessarily conclude that this was bad and highlighted a number of positive factors such as calcium and Vitamin D levels. However, it was only for a month and was too short to come to anything conclusive.

The 2002 study is the one I was referring to regarding correlation. It is not a controlled study. I could however be missing something that shows causation as I have not seen the details of the study as I mention.

I am not saying that I do not believe that the correlation does not warrant further review or that the mass production of milk, specifically related to keeping the cows pregnant for a majority of time which appeared to be the focus of the concern of these series of studies, does nothing. (run on sentence there, sorry) But there was nothing conclusive found related to negative impacts of mass produced milk and there were even some benefits found.

I agree that it is interesting and definitely warrants further investigation. In the article I saw, which was from 2007, she was trying to get funding for two more years. Are you aware whether further studies were done?
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Yes, if it's organic.

*EDIT* all this talk of milk and cheese, I just had to add a cheese stick to my breakfast...
  • AnexRavensong
    AnexRavensong Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Never even heard of this. To be honest there is so much talk of EVERYTHING being bad for you, I don't even care anymore.

I agree with the person who said that people use scare tactics to push their food choices on you.

I've been drinking milk all my life, Im american, that is how we were raised. When I moved to France I had a hard time. The milk here was UHT box shelf milk (the "normal" kind exists too, but goes bad quickly). French people rarely drink milk (though they eat a TON of yogurts), and kick and scream about all the horrible hormones in US meat and milk.

Honestly, when I compare the two countries the people are the same, French people are on average thinner (though that may be due to the extremely high number of smokers as well).. but they are also shorter and have smaller bone frame than Americans... my guess is it goes back to the milk. French people seem to find the idea of a glass of cold milk disgusting, though they will drink it hot in a bowl (weird lol).

Anyway, my point being that people will tell you this is bad and that is bad and 'OMG I don't touch food exposed to the sun because the sun has radiation!' with a 10 foot pole or whatever nonsense, but I haven't seen it make a big deal in society.
  • redraidergirl2009
    redraidergirl2009 Posts: 2,560 Member
    Options
    Take a moment to think about this.

We are humans.

Milk comes from cows.

Why would we need it? As adults especially unless you know some animals that require milk as adults? Because I can't think of any, and why would we need milk from another species? Doesn't make sense right?

Somewhere around 60% of adults have some form of lactose intolerence, others like myself have an ear,nose and throat reaction to milk. Would that many people have reactions if it was good for us?

Even if you get "free range" milk, you are still consuming hormones. Cows have them. Crazy right? Even if they aren't injected, cows, as living creatures, have hormones. They get passed through in the milk.

Milk is made for baby cows to help them grow huge. Milk is also high in fat.

The United States is one of largest dietary consumers of milk and dairy yet we have among the highest rates of osteoporosis? Does that sound like it's good for your bones?