40+ Club: Hop Into Spring With A Fit Bod

Options

Replies

• megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I am 15 years over 40 but would love to join. I need all the motivation I can get. So far I am -12 and I have many many many more to go.
  • zebras
    zebras Posts: 600
    Options
    Welcome Megamom, please join in the fun. This is the best group for motivation!
  • StiringWendel
    StiringWendel Posts: 3,809 Member
    Options
    Hi all. I've been having problems getting MFP to load on my computer the past couple of days but finally seem to have it fixed. Yay!!

singfree, thanks for letting us know your upcoming schedule. I always worry when people don't post for awhile, so, no doubt, I would have been worried about you. :flowerforyou: Thanks for thinking of us. And thanks for your input about the protein issue. I'm still considering what to do. I know I should cut down on the carbs right now but after having finally got a good calorie balance, I'm wondering if I shouldn't just sit where I'm at for awhile before tweaking with my diet some more. Any thoughts?

duffy, thanks for the update on Dr. Fuhrmann's plan. I saw his book recommended on the Cathe Friedrich site, and I still think, based on what you've said and how you've implemented some of his ideas, that I probably will pick up the book sometime. It seems to have some pretty solid recommendations even if not fully implemented.

Welcome to our newcomers!! :flowerforyou: Please keep posting!!

I'm having a good week so far. I've started the heaviest cycle of STS and am really pushing the weights. Even though I had a few days off, I'm still feeling it in my forearms. But it isn't so bad that I can't lift the weight that I feel I need to be lifting. Hopefully I'll be able to do that throughout the rest of the cycle. My eating is good. I can honestly say for the first time in MONTHS that my thinking has shifted a bit this week from the old 'I can't have sweets' to 'I don't want sweets', so that's a really good sign right now. I don't know if it is that the season is turning, if it is that I want my workouts to be effective, if it is the upcoming trip to the beach in Hawaii.....and I don't really care what is causing it. I just know it feels good to be thinking that way right now. I have really been struggling with my cravings and a sense of deprivation since we got here to Korea four months ago. It was like a weight off my shoulders to realize earlier this week that something had changed. Again, I just hope it continues.

It is snowing....again. :grumble: Hopefully this will be the last major snowstorm of the year.

Hope this finds you all doing well.
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Good morning!

Night shift does not agree with me...especially after having worked day shift yesterday also and no sleep in between.

The weather around here is turning glorious with highs in the mid-60s, sorry Stiring! We've had our fill of winter and especially snow.

Stiring, you are in a good place right now, it seems, with your balance of nutrients. As long as you feel that your food is keeping you charged and energized for your workouts, I'd say that you might want to stay put and see what happens. You can always use a bit more protein as part of your post-workout nutrition, if you feel that your muscles need it for growth or recovery.

I did a lower body workout and some cardio at the gym yesterday, followed by a bike ride. Today is upper body and I'm sure a nice long ride (after a good sleep).

I will probably be able to post tonight, but I cannot predict if I will be able to get to a computer in California. I will have my ipod Touch with me and there is FREE wifi on the plane, so I might just be able to catch up and quickly post then.

I feel like I am on track to be in great shape by the end of May. It never fails. When I begin to notice changes in the mirror and my clothing, the fat usually quickly vanishes. It seems that my body needs a wake-up call for a few weeks and then kicks into gear. I'm not complaining!!!

Have a great day!

PS- Megamom: I'm 15 years over 40 also!!!
  • tamarads
    tamarads Posts: 55
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestion Tamarads - unfortunately I'm already on Glocusamine for my creaky old knees :laugh: I actually think it is a shoe problem - I've never really been all that happy with these Brooks but thought it was something I could break in - but these shoes now have about 75 miles on them and I put in expensive insoles and they just aren't getting better.

I know we've talked about shoes before, but I will say again... I love my Mizuno's!! Good luck finding a pair you like, it's not an inexpensive hobby looking for running shoes!!:tongue:
  • zebras
    Options
    Good Morning Friends!

Stiring, sorry to hear you were having trouble getting to us. You were missed! I too have turned the corner with sweet cravings. I no longer have to walk by things and "deny" myself, I am just not interested anymore. I've obviously been kidnapped by aliens, and been replaced by someone who isn't addicted to chocolate! LOL
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    GREETINGS FROM BEAUTIFUL PUERTO RICO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

I still have another week here. I have eaten almost everything that I was craving and that I cannot have in the US. :laugh: :laugh: Right now I am waiting for my husband to finish his coffee so we can head out to the beach. :drinker: :drinker: The day is so beautiful right now. It has been unusually hot for March. The other day the temperature reached 102!!!! That is very unusual even in the summer! :noway: But we are having a great time and I am always happy to spend time with my parents. I know I will be crying next Wed when we leave. I always do... :cry: :cry: :brokenheart:

Take care everyone!!! Oh, and welcome to all the new members!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :drinker:

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • mkwood10
    mkwood10 Posts: 428
    Options
    Headed to Wichita later today to see BonJovi tonight......I can't wait!!!!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I've wanted to see them for over 20 years, so am taking my oldest daughter and her boyfriend and we'll be dancing all night:laugh: :laugh:

Have a good day all, I'll try to get back in here tomorrow to let you know how exhausted I am from all that dancing!:bigsmile:

Happy St Patrick's Day to everyone...........it's a good day to be Irish :happy: :drinker: :happy:

Obviously I haven't made it back into the site for awhile; it's been another crazy week at work. I was hoping it'd be slower because it's spring break, but no such luck!!!

Bon Jovi in concert was AWESOME!!!!! :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile: I sang along all night and danced most of it; my voice was totally hoarse until Saturday, and my knees are still reminding me that I was dancing on concrete, but the aches are well worth the fun I had!!!

Scale said 124.4 on Saturday morning..........YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I won't log the loss until I've been consistently below 125 for at least a week, I'm just afraid that if I log it I won't see that weight again:laugh: Eating the extra protein in the mornings seems to have done the trick for me; not only has the scale FINALLY moved in the right direction, my jeans are baggy enough that I had to wear a belt today!:laugh:

Welcome all newcomers.......
    ALF, I'm so jealous that you're on the beach in Puerto Rico........enjoy!!!
    Sing....have a wonderful time in California!
    Stiring - you say that I inspire you; well, the same goes for me!! You're doing so good, especially considering all you've been thru in the past 6 months with the move to Korea, holidays, being temporarily displaced, etc. etc. You have so much more dedication than I do, especially considering where you are!!! I HAVE to go to Curves to get in a workout; I just can't seem to make myself work out or even go for a walk once I get home! :ohwell: Good thing I go directly to Curves from work; otherwise I'd never get in a workout!

Everyone else; I haven't had time to read a lot of the posts on this thread, so I'll just say that I hope things are getting better for those of you who've been operating in crisis mode.........I know how stressful that is! As for those of you who are fortunate enough to have "boring, uneventful" lives right now.........good for you!!!!!
  • singfree
    Options
    Good evening!

Alf, it was great to hear from you! I'm very glad that you're having a wonderful time with your family. Enjoy!!!!

I guess this is my reporting day since I'm not sure what I'll be doing on Friday with the last minute wedding prep. I've been eating fairly well of late, and my exercise is much more consistent and butt-kicking. My clothes are fitting better each day. I know that I have a few lbs of fat to shed, but I'm well on my way.

Today I took a 16 mile bike ride and a 5 mile walk. I didn't weight train today, but I will before we leave for CA.

Magnificent weather here, should be in the 70s by Saturday. March in Pennsylvania???? Who's complaining???

Have a great day!
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Sounds like you've had a great week, singfree! Bet it feels good to be able to take those long bike rides again. I know I crave being outdoors this time of the year. We had quite a few inches of snow last night, but it has been melting all day. I'm hoping it warms up a bit (it's in the 30s) so I can get out for a walk tomorrow.

mk, thanks for your kind words. :flowerforyou: I think I could argue that I've had an easier issue to deal with this year than you have. But thank you nonetheless. And congrats on the continued weight loss!! It seems once you broke through that barrier at 130lbs, you've been losing pretty consistently since. I think you and I are the same height (5'2") and I know 130 was always a barrier for me too. My body likes being that weight for some reason. And I'm glad you enjoyed the concert! :drinker:

alf, great to hear from you. Hope you continue having a good time in Puerto Rico!

zebras, doesn't it feel good not to crave things so much!! I don't know that I'll ever lose all of my cravings, but I usually can keep them under control. There have only been a couple of times where I haven't been able to....my first winter in Alaska being the worst case of that. But this winter has been a tough one for me too. But I'm thinking that's all behind me now....or at least I'm hoping. :tongue:

Had a great workout this morning as I was feeling incredibly energetic. I'm eating good too! I'll do a more thorough check-in tomorrow (Friday). I'm even toying with weighing myself (haven't done that in a few weeks), more to make sure I'm staying stable than anything. I'm coming up on my one year anniversary of meeting my initial goal weight (which was 120), and I'm about seven weeks away from my one year anniversary of meeting my final goal weight (which I had revised down to 110). It is hard to believe I've been in maintenance mode for this long.....especially since I'm still trying so hard to figure out how to do it! :laugh: Oh, well. :ohwell:

Hope everybody is well. :flowerforyou:
  • Carrie181
    Carrie181 Posts: 18
    Options
    Hi
    Am new on here this morning. Am def in the +40 category and feel it is time to lose the excess baggage! want to be able to wear clothes with the "muffin tops" . I have guessed my weight but am off to buy scales this morning to give 100% accurate reading.

1 quick question, how much in gr/uk oz is 1 cup?

Carrie
  • singfree
    Options
    Carrie, a cup can be either a unit of weight or volume. For example, a cup of water or most other liquids would weigh 8 oz (ounces) or 244 grams. Other times the measurement is by volume and not weight (like a cup of flour, a cup of oatmeal, etc...). For the times it is 236 mililiters. Confused? Don't be. I saw Nigella Lawson on a cooking show using a real tea cup for measuring her flour, water, whatever. Good luck!
  • PecanTan
    PecanTan Posts: 47
    Options
    Just read this message I am new to the site and trying to find friends and support. I am 43 and have lost 32 pound so far my goal is to loose 65 more. Thanks for inviting anyone who wants to make a lifestyle change and who wants to keep active. I am doing good on the nutrition part the active part is slowly but surely thanks for encouraging me to keep on moving. I hope to hear from all of you on friday with your progress.
  • zebras
    Options
    Good Thursday Morning Everyone:

Welcome newcomers, we are happy to have you.

I'm continuing to have a stellar week in terms of eating and working out, hope to be able to report a good number from my scale tomorrow morning. If I don't, I'll just throw it out the window! LOL
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Zebras:laugh: too funny - I know exactly what you mean - my scale as been stuck and I was telling my husband it is driving me nuts I am on week 3 of the Lean phase of CX which means I've been good with exercise and fairly good with food for the last 2 and half months but the scale does not move! I keep trying to focus on the inches lost and how much firmer I'm looking but sometimes you just want validation from that stupid scale.:grumble:
  • Texssippian
    Texssippian Posts: 235
    Options
    Hi all! Hope to make it to the gym tonight. hubs and I gotten into the habit of saying we are going to do free weights at home and then don't. All administrative assistants on "mahagony row" (where the executives office) have candy out. I have to go up there multiple times a day. I am having a hard time staying away from the candy. (I can't stay away from the executives...)

Happy late St. Paddy's Day! We had crock pot cooked corned beef and steamed cabbage. (I love corned beef even though it is on the salty side for me.) Did you see that Kraft is cutting their sodium in their food? Yea!

Weather here is a little on the cool side but pretty. Flowering quince, bradford pears and wild olive trees are in bloom. The red buds are about to bloom. No wildflowers yet but supposed to be a great show this spring.

Welcome to all the newbies! I have been stuck at the same weight for a while too. Need to do something different. River aerobics does not start for another 2 1/2 months, so I need to get in gear now. I want to try a "non-processsed" day where I eat no processed food. I think I will try it tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes...

Sing: enjoy the wedding. Alf: have a wonderful time in PR! Hello to everyone else. Take care! TxMs
  • lalalady
    lalalady Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My first post. I am losing weight for this first time in 5 years. It feels good to have baggy clothes again. I hope to stay motivated and reach my goal

.726536.png
  • StiringWendel
    Options
    Welcome to our newcomers! :flowerforyou: Please stick with us, ask any questions, share your stories, etc. We love having you here.

zebras, congratulations on having such a good week. I hope you see your efforts reflected on the scale. If not, I really think you should probably just chuck the thing out the window as you said. :tongue:

TxMs, I didn't see that report on Kraft and cutting sodium in their food. Do you know what foods in particular? I think one of the situations I'm dealing with right now is not being able to buy healthier alternatives for food because my selections are so limited over here. As a result, I'm getting more sodium than I was in California. Some days (like today) I can really tell the difference....and I don't like it. So I'm all for anything that comes in with lower sodium right now. Let us know how the 'no processed' day goes. I'd be really curious to see what you ate if you care to share.

duffy, I'm kind of with you right now in working hard but being perfectly stuck when it come to the scale. In my case, my measurements are the same too. I looked in the mirror this morning, though, and thought I looked more firm and fit than I have been lately. But that certainly isn't being reflected on anything I can measure. Kind of frustrating.

Which leads me to my Friday check-in. Like I said, my weight is the same (I hadn't weighed myself in a couple of weeks, but it remains unchanged), my measurements are the same, etc. I've eaten clean all week (no treats, cheats, sweets, etc) I finished my first week of the third mesocycle of STS today and am lifting heavier weights than I have ever lifted. That makes me feel good. I woke up yesterday feeling more energetic than I have in a long time, and I hope that continues throughout the rest of this phase of STS. I remember experiencing the same thing last year when I did the program (lethargy for the last two weeks of the second cycle and the first week of the third....and then I started bouncing off the walls with energy!)

I'm trying to shake up my cardio fitness a bit, and I wonder if that isn't part of the improvement in my physique (at least as I see it) and my energy levels. I think I might have been doing too many interval workouts throughout the week so I've cut back on those. Interval workouts like Insanity and HiiT are so taxing on the body that those, combined with the heavy weight lifting, may have been more than I should have been doing. I've introduced a couple of steady state cardio sessions into my week this week, and I've really enjoyed those for a change.

I'm hoping to get another run in this weekend if the weather cooperates. We'll see. It looks pretty gloomy right now, and it is supposed to rain all day tomorrow. Maybe on Sunday.....

I hope everybody has a great Friday! :drinker:
  • Rudie
    Rudie Posts: 27
    Options
    Hi everyone! Can I join you? I'm 44, I live in a village in England and over the last year I've lost 60lb. I've been training seriously at the gym since about December and really enjoy it. I've got about another 10-14lb to lose to get to my goal, and would like to lose about 4-5lb before my wedding in 5 weeks time.

I've had a rotten bug this week so haven't been to the gym at all, and I reckon this group will be a fun way to help me get back on track. Hopefully I'll be back tonight, even if it's just for a gentle warm-up.

Great to meet you!

Oops - forgot that I'm supposed to do a Friday progress... I've lost a pound this week.
  • duffyzmom
    duffyzmom Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Welcome Rudie and all the other newbies!

Friday Check-in - Well the scale didn't move yet again but I'm trying to stay positive my waist measurement is down 1/2inch and I have made it the entire week with no alcohol:drinker: I'm going to try to make it straight through till spring break without my evening red wine (I know it is only 2 weeks but I really like the glass of red in the evening). For me I know that if I went really low carb I could drop 3 or 4 lbs easily but then it would just come right back with the first bowl of oatmeal I ate and this time I really want to just focus on making good food choices and try not to zone in on the scale.

Stiring: I can't imagine how are it is to find the foods you want - when the weather gets better will you have access to local produce? and what exactly would that be? I'm loving CX and may seriously look into Cathe but I guess I better start a savings fund for it - it's pretty pricey isn't it. Oh well, I probably wouldn't start any new weight program until after running season so Oct/Nov and that would give me a nice nest egg.

We've had great weather all week so I've been able to get all my training runs and I bought a new pair of running shoes that same to be helping with my foot tendinitis (I'm actually thinking it may have result from all that walking in snow boots this winter) Rain and snow are in the forecast for the weekend but then back to the 50s - Let Spring Begin oh yeah it does on Saturday. Enjoy the first weekend of Spring.