Inter-racial or multicultural couples out there :)

Options

Replies

• cheerforsteelers
    cheerforsteelers Posts: 686 Member
    Options
    I'm not with anyone now, but I'm Russian and date black men. I love people from different backgrounds!
  • freddykid
    freddykid Posts: 265 Member
    Options
    I am a white mutt and my wife is Chinese. However is you ask her where she is from, she will tell you "America" with an aggravated tone. She was born and raised just in Boston. So she is not a really cultural cooker, but her father is. I love the curry beef soup, traditional noodle meals, seasoning of the meat and veggies, and hot pot.
  • 1sneakykiki
    1sneakykiki Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm Nigerian and my boyfriend is Jewish of Russian and Polish descent. He and his family love African food! And I love everything his mom cooks.
  • rompers16
    rompers16 Posts: 5,404 Member
    Options
    Well my husband and I are both white, but his first wife was Korean. He has custody of his 2 kids from that marriage. We've been asked more than a few times if they were adopted.
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am a hodge- podge of races! My French/Irish relatives came over on the boat and their babies had babies with Native Americans. Everyone was labeled as "white" and generally married people who were also of mixed race. My cooking reflects that and I can cook many things from many cultures.
    My Husbands mother is French and African American and His father is African American,Native American and White. His Mother is in Charge of most of the "Soul Food" and I learn what I can!
    We both lived most of our lives in Texas so we mostly cook Mexican food!
  • VirtuousVal
    VirtuousVal Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This is awesome discussion, that so many people see past color, ethnicity, heritage, & cultural barriers. When it is said in the Holy Bible, about being "Unequally yoked" with unbelievers. To be "Equally yoked"...It is NOT about marrying within your own ethnicity/race!! There is ONLY one "Race", that is the "Human race".

I am what they say, a Mestiza (half-Caucasian & half Filipino), born in the Angeles City, Philippines. My husband is African American (Black). My daughter is ½ African American ~ 1/4 Filipino ~ 1/4 Caucasian.

We are both believers in Christ...so there is no issues with religion. We married one another for who we are in Christ Jesus. We are Blessed to be "Equally Yoked" and in a Christ-Centered Marriage.

When we first met online, he thought I was from South America! LOL! Because I have my physical characteristics carried down on my father's side of the family of my facial features & BIG BOOBS! I just have the typical Filipino FLAT BUTT!

We love to cook & eat a variety of many different Multi-Cultural Cuisine/Foods! i.e. Chinese, Korean, Japanese, Thai, Vietnamse, Mexican, Greek, Italian, etc.

My husband LOVES to cook! I leave the cooking of Fried Chicken & Fish to him! He is a BBQ Master! He has to have his BBQ ribs & Chicken at least 2X a month! But, I did surprise him that I could throw down just like his Momma's Cooking! That was one way he knew I would make him a "Good Wifey"

My mother only taught us how to cook the Filipino dishes & the Filipino foods. I call my Cuisine style of cooking "Filipino Soul Food" Style. It is a combination of my love to cook both Filipino Soul food and Southern Traditional "Soul Food", thanks to my love for Southern Traditional African American cuisine. It is made with the most important ingredient of ALL called "LOVE".

My favorite Filipino dishes are Lumpia, Sinigang, Chicken or Pork Feet Adobo (my Husband's Favorite), Pancit. I also love Pork Soi Pao, although I don't know how to make that. I buy it already pre-made from the Asian Market.

My mother is 100% Filipino. My American Father, was in the US Navy. He is White from a Scottish-Irish ethnicity.
    I was raised in the United States. My father brought us over to the United States when I was about 15 months old.

Most of all of my mother's family still lives there. Some of her family are living in Australia, and married to Aussies. and a few other family members live here in the United States. My mother has a nephew that lives in California. I have an Auntie that lives in Chicago Suburbs.

My mother did not teach us to speak “Tagalog”. That is the one thing that I wish she did teach us! We were always the only children at a Filipino gathering that did not speak "Tagalog". I think that she had the mindset of what older Filipinos have that she wanted us to be "Americanized". I could understand sometimes what she is talking about when she is speaking Tagalog. Of course, we mostly learned the bad words and some most commonly known words or phrases.

My lil' Sister, is Married to 2nd generation Greek decent American.

My half sister, 100% Filipino. She married an Irish decent American (White).

When I was a single woman, when ppl would ask me what my personal preference was in men, I use to have this saying, "I play with ALL of the 'Crayons' in the box, but I prefer the Black Crayon"!! ROFL!
    Although, I have mostly had attention and had the attraction from African American Men (Black Men) over White, Hispanic men. My own personal past experiences, I have been attracted to African American Men (Black Men) for they, in most part, are more accepting, willing and sensitive to woman of another ethnicities, than other men. In my opinion, this may not be everyone experience.

There are challenges in all marriages, I personally believe that interracial relationships are a Blessing…very few of us ever take the opportunity to learn and participate in other cultures and we are missing out on a lot of great things and with being in a interracial relationship that is a bonus that you receive. I think growing up in the military, traveling to many parts of the country & world, you meet other people from different ethnicities and become exposed to other Foods, Culturals, Customs, etc.

Side Note: For those who are still experiencing racial discrimination from family, friends, etc. about who you will marry in the future or that are in inter-racial marriages/ relationships. Interracial marriages used to be illegal in the U.S. Thanks to the efforts of Richard and Mildred Loving, the U.S. Supreme Court legalized interracial marriage in 1967.
    There have been, in the past (Thank God), many Black Men killed because they were attracted to, flirted with, in love with, dated, and/or were married to a "White Woman" or another woman of a different ethnicity.

We are all spirit beings in a Physical Body, while we are here on this Earth! When you choose your spouse, it should be about the "Matters of Heart & Soul" NOT the skin color! The relationship/ union is an eternal spiritual bond even after the flesh is gone, whether in divorce or death!

It is totally fine to have interracial marriages! I think of Ruth the Moabitess and Boaz, in the Book of Ruth, in the Holy Bible; the thing that drew Boaz to Ruth was not her race but her "Virtue". I think of Moses who married a black woman. His sister Miriam, said something negative and she was struck with leprosy. So Moses had "Jungle fever" and God protected Him from the naysayers and made Miriam’s skin a little "Whiter" with leprosy since she loved "White" so much!! ROFL!

As far as I am concerned DO NOT marry someone for the color of there skin look at their personal relationship with Jesus and their Human Character. God does tell his people in scripture to not marry an unbeliever. 2 Cor. 6:14 ”Do not be unequally yoked with unbelievers. For what partnership has righteousness with lawlessness? Or what fellowship has light with darkness?” We are shown in the old testament that when people were told not to marry another race it was because they would begin to worship their gods. It had nothing to do with the color of their skin.

So whatever race you are attracted to or eventually marry have fun and feel NO condemnation. Be in covenant and be a great example of a Godly relationship. I will tell you this; you may have issues merging lives and cultures together, and you may have some racist persecution but besides the hardships that may accompany a interracial marriage that should not stop you because marriage no matter what has hardships. Our society, in large part, is becoming more and more diversed & there are more Inter-racial relationships than ever before!

At my church, we have this saying, "It is NOT a 'White' thing, It is NOT a 'Black' thang, It is NOT a 'Brown', 'Yellow' or 'Green' thing.... It is a 'God' thing!" What Racism is to me are real reflection of a LACK of relationship with Christ. I love that our church is filled with so much diversity, ethnicity, and color and I pray that we continue to have a multi-race.

If god did not want interracial merriage we would be all one color but you see in his eyes we are all one. Marriage is based on faith not skin color. Skin Color is not love, Faith is Love.

Inter-racial marriage or relationships is just like cooking food! It is a "BLEND" of many Flavors, But it tastes Best when cooked wiith "LOVE":heart:
  • superhippiechik
    superhippiechik Posts: 1,044 Member
    Options
    I am a white mutt and my wife is Chinese. However is you ask her where she is from, she will tell you "America" with an aggravated tone. She was born and raised just in Boston. So she is not a really cultural cooker, but her father is. I love the curry beef soup, traditional noodle meals, seasoning of the meat and veggies, and hot pot.

I understand her irritation and get annoyed with generalizations and labels. The question "what are you?" makes me angry and I have often thought about tattooing the words "Not White" onto my body.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    I am a white, Canadian born and raised with a mix if European countries in my background (English, Scottish, Norweigan, French, German and Russian). I am not currently in a relationship but have dated a Malaysian (my first serious boyfriend), and briefly a Mexican and an Isreali. Getting to try all the different foods and hearing the languages is fun. None of us were religious so that wasn't an issue.
  • Italian_Buju
    Italian_Buju Posts: 8,030 Member
    Options
    I am Italian

My partner is Jamaican
  • tinarallhan
    Options
    Wow everyone's story is so amazing! Especially the opinions on international relationships. It is never easy but so amazing :) I spent 6 months in India and it was only then that I really understood the complexity of my mixed relationship with my husband. When it is just him the baby, and my inlaws all we see is family and love and not culture or color.
  • KechiaG
    Options
    I am African American (but with a creole family tree - African, French and Native American) and my husband is Mexican. We have been together almost 20 years. I never would have thought I would marry outside of my race, but I quickly learned that love doesn't care about skin color. :blushing: We have 2 children who love everything about both cultures. Our holidays are anything but traditional and full of love. :smooched:

Reading everyone else's posts made me smile! Very cool stuff indeed!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    Epic thread.
  • Matt_Wild
    Matt_Wild Posts: 2,673 Member
    Options
    I'm English Caucasian and my other half is Hungarian and Caucasian. She's got a beautiful accent and a beautiful way of being. Absolutely perfect x
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    While on the topic.....does anyone's family have a problem with their interracial relationships?

My mother and one sister that I am closet too never had a major problem.....little confused at first, but overall very good. But I have two other sisters that I have not spoken to in almost 20 years because of it. It divided the entire family, I have no idea where they even are, and I don't even know if they know our mother died 9 years ago or anything.....

My best girlfriend, who is white, married an African (Ghana), and her father has come along now, but told her when we were teenagers and we both started dating foreign men that he would rather have her with a white man that beats her than with a black man......he did not even met her husband til the night before the wedding....and her husband is AMAZING, we have been best friends for 30 years and I love them both dearly.

Everyone on this thread so far seems to have great experiences, but I know I am not the only one that had a rough one.....
  • farfoorah
    Options
    I'm the product of a Venezuelan mama, and Lebanese baba....they made lovely beautiful babies!

My ex was half Lebanese, and Russian...he was ugly, though.
  • Italian_Buju
    Options
    Did I kill this thread with my questions :ohwell:
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    While on the topic.....does anyone's family have a problem with their interracial relationships?

My mother and one sister that I am closet too never had a major problem.....little confused at first, but overall very good. But I have two other sisters that I have not spoken to in almost 20 years because of it. It divided the entire family, I have no idea where they even are, and I don't even know if they know our mother died 9 years ago or anything.....

My best girlfriend, who is white, married an African (Ghana), and her father has come along now, but told her when we were teenagers and we both started dating foreign men that he would rather have her with a white man that beats her than with a black man......he did not even met her husband til the night before the wedding....and her husband is AMAZING, we have been best friends for 30 years and I love them both dearly.

Everyone on this thread so far seems to have great experiences, but I know I am not the only one that had a rough one.....
    It depends on the culture. Fortunately both me & my ex are Christians (though Im not religious) & our families are more open though mine is having this male chuvinism but his is more egalitarian that I like the most.

However keep in mind that while you cannot change your parents or culture, you have total control over yourself & your destiny.
  • Redbird99ky
    Redbird99ky Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the topic, it's an awesome one.

My wife and I have been married coming up on 10 yrs now, and we've been together for about 14. She's African-American, and I'm a Causasian mutt (french-english-irish-scotch-welsh-german-cherokee).

Both of our immediate families have no issues whatsoever with our marriage. My in-laws love me, and her in-laws love her! We are also fortunate, like a previous poster, to have a Christ-centered marriage.

As for culture, we both have brought much to the table, what with she being from New York and me being from Pittsburgh, and we both love to cook and entertain (why we're on here in the first place!). I was previously married to a Cuban woman, and it was through her that I picked up some wonderful Cuban recipes.
  • meganrpelican
    meganrpelican Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    im white, boyfriend is biracial.... check us out in my pic!
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I'm Mexican and I was married to a White man of English descent (traced him back to Yorkshire!), and I'm currently in a relationship with an Englishman. I likey white guys teehee. I cook American mostly.