About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Replies

• Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    My name is Dani, and I recently discovered that I weigh a little over 600lbs. I recently found this out during a doctors visit, which I must say took a lot of courage to attend. After some difficult consideration, I'd like to try losing weight again.

I knew that I weighed more than 550, since that's as far as my scale goes at home. I'd really like to get back below that, a possibly get some extra wiggle room in there too? I think it could help enormously with my mobility, which for someone of my age isn't really that good right now. :/

I'm looking for support from other women that are my size. I really think that once you're over 500 or so, everything changes and it becomes really really hard. Advise on how to exercise when its hard to walk? Any advice on how to keep my calories under 4000 a day? I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Thanks everybody.

-Dani

Dani the first thing that jumped out at me while reading your post was your defeatist attitude.

<<< I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all>>>

Let me suggest a new mode of speech for you. From this point on you will always start a sentence with, "I will"....example: I will get a new life. I will get healthy. I will enjoy finding new & healthy foods. I will take a step towards my goal daily. I will break down my goal into manageable parts. There will will be days when I trip and fall, but I WILL not cry; I will get up with a vengeance and keep striding towards what I want. I will revel in my victories and deny my failures. I will be a bad *kitten*.

Forbidden language that you cannot ever again use: I will try. I cant. I am a failure. I am weak.

Get your mind right gal. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
  • Shaybug
    Shaybug Posts: 80 Member
    Congratulations on the first difficult step.

I would suggest opening your food diary so that you are able to share and allow friends to help you make changes and suggestions. Be sure to log everything so you can hold yourself accountable. Try to reach at least 1OOg of protein and 3Og of fiber. More of each is perfectly fine. Veggies are your best friends as they are full of fiber, filling and nutrient dense. Lean proteins, pork, chicken, fish, and lean dairy are great. Beans and whole grains for fiber and filling carbs. Real fruit instead of sodas and juices.

Make little changes and substitutes and gradually they will become your new "normal".

Working out may be difficult at first but the suggestions to join a pool is great.

You've taken the fist big step in a positive and healthy direction to lead you to a long and fulfilling life. Now just keep taking those steps and in time you'll be running to each goal you set for yourself.
  • Jenny426
    Jenny426 Posts: 11 Member
    Awesome!! Good for you!! :)
  • sylvuz323
    sylvuz323 Posts: 468 Member
    Welcome Dani, if you are determined to make a change it will happen for you. Take baby steps, right now with your starting weight just the small changes you do...will make a difference on the scale. Don't try to change everything all at once, small changes are the way to go. I started at 236 lbs and when I saw that small changes made my weight drop it was motivation for me to keep making positive changes. Start slow, track your food (even the unhealthy stuff), and don't beat yourself up over eating the unhealthy foods. The place to start is with tracking your food.

Feel free to add me and good luck!
  • ginandchocolate
    ginandchocolate Posts: 72 Member
    Way to make the first step. I'm not your size but I've been successful at losing 55 lbs thus far. Feel free to add me for support :)
  • IsMollyReallyHungry
    IsMollyReallyHungry Posts: 15,350 Member
    My name is Dani, and I recently discovered that I weigh a little over 600lbs. I recently found this out during a doctors visit, which I must say took a lot of courage to attend. After some difficult consideration, I'd like to try losing weight again.

I knew that I weighed more than 550, since that's as far as my scale goes at home. I'd really like to get back below that, a possibly get some extra wiggle room in there too? I think it could help enormously with my mobility, which for someone of my age isn't really that good right now. :/

I'm looking for support from other women that are my size. I really think that once you're over 500 or so, everything changes and it becomes really really hard. Advise on how to exercise when its hard to walk? Any advice on how to keep my calories under 4000 a day? I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all...

Thanks everybody.

-Dani

Dani the first thing that jumped out at me while reading your post was your defeatist attitude.

<<< I have to say that I'm not looking forward to this at all>>>

Let me suggest a new mode of speech for you. From this point on you will always start a sentence with, "I will"....example: I will get a new life. I will get healthy. I will enjoy finding new & healthy foods. I will take a step towards my goal daily. I will break down my goal into manageable parts. There will will be days when I trip and fall, but I WILL not cry; I will get up with a vengeance and keep striding towards what I want. I will revel in my victories and deny my failures. I will be a bad *kitten*.

Forbidden language that you cannot ever again use: I will try. I cant. I am a failure. I am weak.

Get your mind right gal. "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Good advice indeed!!
  • I'd start tracking your calories and stop when you reach your goal. It's a mental game. We become what we think about most. If you believe in yourself and want to get in shape keeping that thinner image of you in your mind you'll achieve it. But you've got to truly believe in it's possibility.

From there the desire and willpower will ensure that your calories stay in line. Just enter your info into the myfitnesspal app, keep track of calories, and watch your weight decrease.
  • B2theE2theVerly
    B2theE2theVerly Posts: 5 Member
    Well i am close to your size so good luck here my friend
  • I applaud your efforts to change your life but I have few questions. Where did the 4,000 calorie goal come from? Did your doctor recommend that or is something you chose for yourself? What is your normal daily caloric intake? and What type of physical activity are you able to do?
  • BlackStarlight
    BlackStarlight Posts: 554 Member
    Hey Dani
    Wlecome to the madhouse. The mad, crazy loveable house.
    Welcome to MFP!!
    Good luck on your journey, if you want to add me feel free we will motivate each other. :smile:
    You can do this. You've made the first step by logging in. I am always willing to help if you need it.
    If not good luck on your journey
    :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: xxx
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Dani, you have some serious balls posting that out there. If you have attitude like that, your going to make it.
  • Jay_Jay_
    Jay_Jay_ Posts: 194 Member
    I'd start tracking your calories and stop when you reach your goal. It's a mental game. We become what we think about most.

That's the truth. I tend to notice the more active I am on MFP, the more consistent my loss is. When I become uninterested or I slack off with tracking, that's when it slows down or creeps back up! When I am 24/7 thinking about my diet, my fitness, tracking my food, etc etc, I can't help but do it!

OP, I wasn't quite where you were, but I was up there (470lbs) when I started. It can be done, but you have to be ready to do it. No one can tell you to do it, no one can push you to do it. You need to be on board with this and serious about changing! Start with your diet, and work from there. It took me losing over 150lbs before I wanted to do any kind of physical activity, and even then it was light walking at the most. Changing your diet is going to account for 90% or more of your loss. Start eating healthy, start cooking your own food, find a diet that works for you. It's incredibly difficult to eat 4000 calories a day unless you are eating the wrong foods. You're going to be amazed when you start struggling to eat -more- in a day, instead of less.
  • holly1283
    holly1283 Posts: 741 Member
    Oh, honey, I'm so glad you are here. Welcome. Try exercising sitting down. Listen to your favorite music and dance while sittiing. Move arms, legs, neck. Set a goal to walk a certain amount of steps. When that becomes easier double that. Keep logging. We are here for support and encouragement. One day at a time one step at a time.
  • sdavis448
    sdavis448 Posts: 195 Member
    Way to go for taking that first step!

In terms of keeping your calories under 4000, your best bet is to start filling your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods that give you good fiber, minerals, and vitamins. If possible, throw out any of the processed stuff that is not good for you (chips, frozen snacks like taquitos, etc, cookies, ice cream). I like to keep 1 or 2 unhealthy options in my kitchen, but not more because otherwise I get too tempted!

If you are eating healthy foods like chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit 75% of the time, you can give yourself a little leeway and have some calories for the not-so-healthy stuff. I find that when trying to change how you eat, it's better to make small steps that you can sustain. I know that for my mom, who started doing this a few months ago, she made changes in week increments, adding on like this:

1. Week one: cut out all sugary drinks (soda, juice, etc)
    2. Week two: get at least 3 servings of vegetables.
    3. Week three: Try to get at least 100 grams of good protein.

Maybe this would be a good step-wise way for you to start making changes? I suggest cutting out soda and sugary drinks first if you drink them normally, because they are the biggest source of empty calories. If you need a substitute, try buying the 0-calorie drink powder options.

Good luck!

This is excellent.. you have no idea how far you can get just by cutting out sugary drinks. As far as excersice goes, just start small. If walking is difficult for you, then start there. It's going to be a workout for you. Good luck on your journey. Add me if you wish, I look forward to seeing updates from you.
  • Division12
    Division12 Posts: 10 Member
    GOOD FOR YOU! I'm not your size (~35 lbs overweight here), but I would love to support you! I don't do anything drastic, and certainly have my tough days, but feel free to follow me :-)
  • reree6898
    reree6898 Posts: 42 Member
    Hi Dani;

I just wanted to give you a word of encouragement and say that going to the Dr. and joining MFP are great steps toward losing weight and gaining health. It is not easy but every ounce of a difference is so worth it. Recently I hit below the 300 mark for the first time in 11 years. Before I started this I was truly addicted to every bad, greasy, fast food there is as well as soda's. I no longer drink sodas or eat any of that stuff and this change has occurred day at a time. I know you said there may be exercise issues due to mobility problems and so I don't know if you have heard of it or not but if you google, "Sit Areobics" there are some at home video workouts that are created to help people get exercising when mobility is a challenge. I truly hope all the best for you in your journey.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    You can do it! There are a lot of people here who have lost a lot of weight.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    Way to go for taking that first step!

In terms of keeping your calories under 4000, your best bet is to start filling your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods that give you good fiber, minerals, and vitamins. If possible, throw out any of the processed stuff that is not good for you (chips, frozen snacks like taquitos, etc, cookies, ice cream). I like to keep 1 or 2 unhealthy options in my kitchen, but not more because otherwise I get too tempted!

If you are eating healthy foods like chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit 75% of the time, you can give yourself a little leeway and have some calories for the not-so-healthy stuff. I find that when trying to change how you eat, it's better to make small steps that you can sustain. I know that for my mom, who started doing this a few months ago, she made changes in week increments, adding on like this:

1. Week one: cut out all sugary drinks (soda, juice, etc)
    2. Week two: get at least 3 servings of vegetables.
    3. Week three: Try to get at least 100 grams of good protein.

Maybe this would be a good step-wise way for you to start making changes? I suggest cutting out soda and sugary drinks first if you drink them normally, because they are the biggest source of empty calories. If you need a substitute, try buying the 0-calorie drink powder options.

Good luck!

This is excellent.. you have no idea how far you can get just by cutting out sugary drinks. As far as excersice goes, just start small. If walking is difficult for you, then start there. It's going to be a workout for you. Good luck on your journey. Add me if you wish, I look forward to seeing updates from you.

I have a friend who lost 100 pounds doing nothing but replacing sugary drinks with water. She started walking after that, but you'd be surprised what a big difference it can make to change something small.
  • You got this dude! One step at a time!
  • Moxie42
    Moxie42 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Congrats on making the decision to work on your health! As others have mentioned, talking to a doctor or, better yet, a nutritionist, about a healthy plan for you, would probably be best. There are probably groups for those with a lot to lose as well (try searching under the Community tab) where you can find support from people with similar situations and goals.

I only have one piece of advice for you- remember that every step in the right direction counts! If walking is difficult, then a short slow walk is a great accomplishment! Losing "only" 1 lb in a week is still a loss! If you never ever drink water, than drinking just one cup a day is an improvement. And a step in the wrong direction can be reversed...if you slip up, just forgive yourself and move on. Two steps forward and one step back is STILL one step forward.

You CAN do this!