About 600lbs, Time to Lose a Few

Options

Replies

• Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    It's posts like all of the responses to Dani's post that remind why MyFitnessPal is such an awesome place. Support, suggestions, empathy, kindness, a little challenge (as far as working on a defeatist attitude). To all of the lovely people who have written such kind and thoughtful responses, cheers :flowerforyou:

Dani, I wish you health, happiness, and success. You CAN do this. We are all here for you, even if we're not in the same place or have the same goals as far as our weight/fitness.
  • felice03
    felice03 Posts: 2,732 Member
    Options
    you can absolutely do this! Start small. Start by logging, and log EVERYTHING. Then you will be able to see patterns of where it would be easiest to cut or reduce. Give yourself a little bit of time with that, get comfortable with new habits. Then add in exercise...it can be as simple as a couple extra trips walking down the hall. Get some light hand weights, or even cans of vegetable, do simple arm exercises. Every extra movement counts as something!

I wish you the BEST of luck and hope to see your progress around here!
  • WalkingGirl1985
    WalkingGirl1985 Posts: 2,047 Member
    Options
    Dani--I am also glad that you found this website. It takes such great courage to come on here and and want that change. I didn't start off that size either, I was about 240+ when I started. Like everyone has said, this will be a very long road, but take it with baby steps. Make small changes. I would say get up, move around as much as you can. Also you can sit down and do upper body to get the heart going..simply as just throwing punches when watching TV. Walk to your driveway like a couple may have suggested, and come back, do a little bit more each day, your body will get stronger. Drink plenty of water to stay hyderated. I believe you are a strong person, and you can do this. I'll add you as a friend, whether you accept it is your choice. I will be there if you need some support and encouragement. :happy:
  • betoarango
    betoarango Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi good job on starting your journey.
    4000 calories is what i eat in almost 3 days and I am seldom hungry... Look through your diary and throw out all your super-manufactured-unnatural stuff.. if the foods you choose are correct you will bring your calories down substantially, and feel better. Your food choices will decide if this endeavor works or fails.

Support, friends, logging all essential but we cannot control your food choices, Only you can, and until your weight allows you higher mobility your calorie count will be your most important change...

You must make up your own mind to save your life, you must decide that you are worth it, you must decide to stick with it.

Good luck.
  • hdjjones
    hdjjones Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good for you. Log your food every day and if you keep within the calculated calories and you will be amazed at how fast the weight will come off. Stay with it. It's a long road. It took you a long time to get the weight on and plan on it taking a while to take it off. My stats are similar to yours. Part of my problem was the meds I was taking but I owe most of my progress to this site and a commitment I made after a trip to the ER. Don't get dissapointed. Lots of support here for you.:smile:
  • Melaniec78
    Melaniec78 Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Honey you are taking the first step. It gets easier as you go and I would love to support you and see your progress along the way. Changing your life is difficult no matter what your size but it gets easier after a while. Sending a friend request.
    GOOD LUCK ON THIS JOURNEY!!! YOU CAN DO IT!

:flowerforyou: mel
  • jnoring
    Options
    Hi Dani,
    Good luck with your weight loss. I will add you as well!
  • luliboo13
    Options
    Dani,

I would really love to be friends on My Fitness Pal. like many others who responded, I am not your size, but would like to lose about 120lbs. I have struggled with weight off and on my whole life. Please friend me,

Luliboo13
  • JenniTheVeggie
    JenniTheVeggie Posts: 2,474 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on taking the first step. You can do this.
  • BondBomb
    BondBomb Posts: 1,781 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you my dear :flowerforyou:
  • CandyDiehardBAMF
    CandyDiehardBAMF Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Way to go for taking that first step!

In terms of keeping your calories under 4000, your best bet is to start filling your pantry and refrigerator with healthy foods that give you good fiber, minerals, and vitamins. If possible, throw out any of the processed stuff that is not good for you (chips, frozen snacks like taquitos, etc, cookies, ice cream). I like to keep 1 or 2 unhealthy options in my kitchen, but not more because otherwise I get too tempted!

If you are eating healthy foods like chicken, fish, vegetables, whole grains, and fruit 75% of the time, you can give yourself a little leeway and have some calories for the not-so-healthy stuff. I find that when trying to change how you eat, it's better to make small steps that you can sustain. I know that for my mom, who started doing this a few months ago, she made changes in week increments, adding on like this:

1. Week one: cut out all sugary drinks (soda, juice, etc)
    2. Week two: get at least 3 servings of vegetables.
    3. Week three: Try to get at least 100 grams of good protein.

Maybe this would be a good step-wise way for you to start making changes? I suggest cutting out soda and sugary drinks first if you drink them normally, because they are the biggest source of empty calories. If you need a substitute, try buying the 0-calorie drink powder options.

Good luck!

I absolutely second the cutting sugary drinks and looking for the fiber and protein! Sugary drinks was my first step and it was amazing to see how many calories I was drinking!! Log honestly, let the bad days just be. For the first part you will go over what your goal is, most likely, but having it all logged really helps you to have a visual of what you are taking in and you can look it over to see what you can tweak.

Also if you make it public, friends will be able to check your diary out as well and they will sometimes make suggestions or give you a thumbs up. =) Everyone here is so supportive and helpful of eachother. And we won't think you are obsessive like your friends and family if you spend every day going off about calories or willpower lol...

Congrats on your choice to join MFP and good luck with your goals!
  • cvillneauve
    Options
    The benefits will far outweigh the challenges ahead. You CAN do this.

The one thing I always have to remind myself is that you do not have to do everything at once. Start by making one healthy change a week and stick to it. All the changes will add up and you will begin to see results. It all depends upon what works for you, mentally and physically. It is a learning experience and not every day will be perfect but keep moving forward and do things that will eventually get you to your goal.

Staying under a certain amount of calories can be difficult at first as our bodies and minds are not accustomed to it. Lots of Fruits and Veggies can help as they offer a lot of food for not as many calories as most other foods. Planning meals helps too. Then you're not caught in a spot where you're super hungry and don't want to take the time to fix something up.

Please know that you are not alone in this!!
  • honeybee1036
    honeybee1036 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Dani,
    Congratulations on the first step to your new lifestyle. You can do this. Just take one day at a time. Log Log Log daily. It is very helpful. As far as exercise goes, start slow, pushing yourself may cause injury. Standing up then sitting down is a good start, everyday add a couple more ups and downs.

Remember this is a lifestyle change. It will take time, determination, and dedication.

Feel free to friend me.

Best of luck.

:flowerforyou:
  • Cori_Mac
    Cori_Mac Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Welcome, my dear. We're all in this together, no matter how much we have to gain or lose. Happy to send a friend request. :)
  • mhorn2142
    mhorn2142 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani,

I am not your size, but I started out at 304lbs. I now weigh 208lbs. as of today. that is since I started this journey in May of this year. I must confess, i am not your typical weight loss person. Yes it has been hard work, I have to pay attention to every bite I put in my mouth. I have to exercise 4 days a week minimum. It is not been easy. But I have a secret tool... I had weight Loss surgery in May of this year. It was the right choice for me and I thank God everyday at the opportunity it has given me. I just rode a roller coast with my four year old the other day. 6 months ago I would not have been able to that. I am truly blessed. Start off slow. Moving of any kind will burn calories. Do the things that you have forgotten you don't do, like bend over and pick up something you have dropped instead of asking someone else. I know that I stopped picking things up because it was uncomfortable.

You can do this !

Add me I would love to be your friend.

thanks,
    Miriah
  • Kejlina
    Kejlina Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Friend requet sent! I'm littler than you but I really want to cheer you on.

I'm only a few days into my weight loss journey but my strategy so far for feeling fuller is to include 2 cups of lettuce (with salt and pepper, no dressing) and drink a full glass of water with my meals. I'm also taking a fibre supplement twice a day to help feel fuller.
  • libbymcbain
    libbymcbain Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    Welcome! Glad to have you my dear :flowerforyou:

^^^This^^^

Well done for being so brave.
  • vawahoofan
    Options
    Not your size but would definately support you. Add me if you would like too. You've took the first step and You can do the rest.
  • ThereseIShere
    ThereseIShere Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I have a very encouraging and committed friend on here that was where you are and has lost quite a few hundred pounds. You could add her. Her name is Mollie1037. I would be glad to have you, as well.
  • BronTonyRollyBeau
    BronTonyRollyBeau Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi Dani,I'm Bronwyn.

Just wanted to wish you the best .
    We all need support ,no matter how much or little we want to lose but I'd like to say that I'm happy to chat if you need an ear or new friend as you start on your journey .

I've just gone back to the gym after years of saying I'll do it. I had to do it for me ,even though others say your fine!

I guess one step at a time and hopefully bigger steps will follow.,it all adds up .But ,the biggest step is the one you have already made to get started : )