Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

skipping breakfast

12346»

Replies

• _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member
    I find that eating breakfast makes me more hungry through the day. This causes me to eat snacks before and after lunch, thus under cutting all of what I am working for.

Same here. If I eat a banana or an egg, I'll be starving hours before my first solid meals on non-breakfast days.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    So first I want to know why everyone seems to be attacking my post....i clearly stated I'm not here to debate pros or cons of eating breakfast, I just shared what works for me so the orignal creator of this post could read it and make their own decision on what they want to believe. For all of you that are poo-pooing everyone who believes in eating breakfast, why? they're just sharing opinions. Even Dr's, which i believe most of you are not....don't agree on this topic. Stop crapping on others opinions that they are just sharing. Share what works for you without criticizing others and move on.....
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    So first I want to know why everyone seems to be attacking my post....i clearly stated I'm not here to debate pros or cons of eating breakfast, I just shared what works for me so the orignal creator of this post could read it and make their own decision on what they want to believe. For all of you that are poo-pooing everyone who believes in eating breakfast, why? they're just sharing opinions. Even Dr's, which i believe most of you are not....don't agree on this topic. Stop crapping on others opinions that they are just sharing. Share what works for you without criticizing others and move on.....

We are not attacking your post. We are trying to stop the spread of misinformation that abounds. Losing weight is hard enough without people thinking they have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it.

No one is poo poo'ing eating breakfast. What they are doing is trying to clear up the idea that is is beneficial from a weight loss perspective outside personal preference.

If eating breakfast makes adherence or performance better (or is necessary for medical reasons), great, go for it. But if not, don't unless you like to eat breakfast.

Basically, you lost weight because you ate less, not because you ate breakfast or not.
  • _JR_
    _JR_ Posts: 830 Member

You made a claim that eating breakfast led to your weight loss. Your choice of wording was the problem. There were likely MANY other factors that led to your weight loss other than the addition of breakfast. This website is FULL of people who got fat while eating breakfast. That alone should prove your notion to be inaccurate.

When it comes to nutrition and fitness, there is a difference between personal preferences and FACTS. Breakfast DOES NOT rev up your metabolism and aid in weight loss = FACT.
  • jesswait
    jesswait Posts: 218 Member
    For me, skipping a meal is setting myself up to make bad choices at the next meal.

This for me too.
  • ChadB74

You made a claim that eating breakfast led to your weight loss. Your choice of wording was the problem. There were likely MANY other factors that led to your weight loss other than the addition of breakfast. This website is FULL of people who got fat while eating breakfast. That alone should prove your notion to be inaccurate.

When it comes to nutrition and fitness, there is a difference between personal preferences and FACTS. Breakfast DOES NOT rev up your metabolism and aid in weight loss = FACT.

Yes I probably could have choose my words more wisely.
  • ChadB74

We are not attacking your post. We are trying to stop the spread of misinformation that abounds. Losing weight is hard enough without people thinking they have to jump through a lot of hoops to do it.

No one is poo poo'ing eating breakfast. What they are doing is trying to clear up the idea that is is beneficial from a weight loss perspective outside personal preference.

If eating breakfast makes adherence or performance better (or is necessary for medical reasons), great, go for it. But if not, don't unless you like to eat breakfast.

Basically, you lost weight because you ate less, not because you ate breakfast or not.

"Basically, you lost weight because you ate less, not because you ate breakfast or not." I agree... and surrender :-)
  • I will eat anything that is quick. I have been known to grab a quick Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich or apple or a banana.
    I am not the type of personwho can go without food for along time. I have issues with hypoglycemia so I eat small frequent meals.
    If I don't eat I am constantly thinking of food
  • kym117
    kym117 Posts: 315 Member
    I never used to eat breakfast but what I have learned is that if I do have breakfast I first of all have more energy but more importantly if I don't eat to say 11am/12pm by that time I am starving and will eat anything without thinking about it and I will keep on eating as I won't give myself the chance to feel full. I think eating often helps you make more rational choices you don't have to go overboard somedays if I am not that hungry or want to keep extra cals for later I will just have a 200 cal breakfast.
  • ChadB74
    I will eat anything that is quick. I have been known to grab a quick Peanut Butter and Jelly sandwich or apple or a banana.
    I am not the type of personwho can go without food for along time. I have issues with hypoglycemia so I eat small frequent meals.
    If I don't eat I am constantly thinking of food

One breakfast that I like that is filling and seems to keep me from feeling hungry for a few hours is a 50 calorie wrap, spread on a tablespoon of peanut butter and stick a banana in it...good luck with your goals
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    I usually don't get hungry until 10 or 11 in the morning, so I usually just have a small snack then, followed by a full lunch a couple hours later
  • T me breakfast is essential. If I am going to skip a meal or go light on a meal, it will be dinner, the last meal of the day. Breakfast is important.

please explain to me why breakfast is more important then dinner?

Because I do not need as much energy to sleep as I do to function during the day.
  • SouthernDad
    SouthernDad Posts: 16 Member
    I tend not to eat breakfast. For me, I like a nice cup of coffee and my morning newspaper. Then another tall cup on my commute. I know, I know... skipping breakfast is bad for me, etc, etc. I'm really not hungry in the mornings.
  • I personally cannot go without breakfast but that is just me. I like a protein based breakfast and tend to eat eggbeaters or eggs mostly. Also with a small scoop of cottage cheese and coffee. If i eat cereal, I am starving within an hour.
  • kluvit
    kluvit Posts: 435 Member
    I delay my first meal until I am physically hungry, which is usually between 11:30 am and 1 pm (sometimes later if I sleep in on the weekend). This hunger time typically equates to lunch rather than breakfast. Although, I love breakfast foods and like to eat breakfast, when I do, my calorie intake adds up fast because I seem to be just as hungry for lunch and often eat even more than I do when lunch is my first meal of the day.
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    I don't eat breakfast until 11am which is when I am hungry
  • I don't skip breakfast to save calories. I skip breakfast because solid food before lunch makes me gag. I don't think anyone should go out of their way to have or not have breakfast. Do what's comfortable.
  • Maybaby100
    Maybaby100 Posts: 84 Member
    I often will only have coffee for breakfast with creamer a light 300-400 calorie lunch and then I can have what I want for snacks and dinner. I do it because I am always hungrier in the late evening and if I don't do this the I end up over on my calories with no time to work it off. If I go over at lunch then I can hit the gym or take a walk before dinner.

Lately I have been doing a 3 egg white omelet with spinach, white American cheese and 2T of salsa. This is pretty low cal and fills me up for a while.
  • wmagoo27
    wmagoo27 Posts: 201 Member
    Does anyone here skip breakfast to save more calories for later in the day? Was it hard for you to adjust at first? I really want to do this because I hate when I use up calories so early in the day but I'm pretty hungry in the morning. Or maybe my body just expects food because its used to eating within like 5 seconds of waking up. Any tips on adjusting? Thanks

I stopped eating breakfast some time ago. I control the hunger in the mornings with a cup of coffee with some vanilla protein powder and coconut oil in it. The quick dose of protein and fat satisfies my hunger and the caffeine gets me going. I also time my carb intake around my workouts, which is where the bulk of my daily calories come into play.
  • Elphaba91
    Elphaba91 Posts: 66 Member
    I don't skip breakfast, exactly...but I only have a glass of Metamucil. It's only 20 calories, so it leaves lots of calories free for the rest of the day, but it really fills me up! It's also a nice way to get an extra glass of water in, as I really seem to struggle with drinking 8 glasses a day. I drink the orange one (the berry one is NASTY) and mix it with sparkling mineral water...it tastes like Fanta :)