Harry Potter: DH Part 1 CHALLENGE

Options

Replies

• Mande_G
    Mande_G Posts: 599 Member
    Options
    I'm kinda in between exercises right now. I can't seem to find anything to keep my interested. I really love to bike, but it has been too cold. Now that it is warming back up, DH's schedule changed and I don't think we'll be able to ride during the week like we did last year. I'm starting the Flat Belly Diet Sunday and I think I'm going to follow the exercise plan that goes with it. It involves interval walking, strength training, and stretching. All of it is meant to be done pretty much without any machines or extra equipment. I think you might need some hand weights for the upper body strength exercises. Once I'm done with that, I'm hoping to be ready to start C25K. I tried it once before and it was really tough with the extra weight. I think I need to at least move from "obese" to "overweight" before I try again.

The Power 90 workouts only incorporate some hand weights or resistance bands -- other than that, it's just you and your own muscle. Challenging, but feels great (after you get used to it!) Sounds like the Flat Belly diet exercises are pretty similar.

Edited for bad grammar/typos.
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Okay, I just sent out friend requests to everyone on this thread so far -- I THINK. If you DID NOT receive a friend request from me and would like to, feel free to add me!

Also, I keep my food diary public for anyone who's curious but doesn't want to add me to their friends list. :smile:
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    Mande, I got mine. I'm headed home for now. We have a house guest this weekend, so I may not be real active. I'll try to stop by if I can. Everyone have a wonderful weekend!!!
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    oooh oooh me! me! I'm in, I'm in!

I'm a big HP fan, and also a lot of other sci fi/fantasy books too. I started the Wheel of Time series years ago - back when there were only 3 books out. I managed to get thru book 6, but just got too bored with it....

Has anyone read anything by David Eddings? Either his Belgariad series or his Diamond Throne series? Loved 'em both....

I re-read the HP books once a year, usually during a camping trip over Memorial Day Weekend. I'm a fast reader - I read Order of the Phoenix in 12 hours and the Hallows in 10 - and of course opened each one as soon as I was finished to start it again, LOL.....

My goal is to lose 35 pounds by the time DH part 1 comes out....
    I'm also reading Robert Jordan's "Crossroads of Twilight" the 10th book in his Wheel of Time series. It's... long
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Mande, I got mine. I'm headed home for now. We have a house guest this weekend, so I may not be real active. I'll try to stop by if I can. Everyone have a wonderful weekend!!!

Have a great weekend, Crystal! See you on the flip side!
  • Mande_G
    Options
    oooh oooh me! me! I'm in, I'm in!

I'm a big HP fan, and also a lot of other sci fi/fantasy books too. I started the Wheel of Time series years ago - back when there were only 3 books out. I managed to get thru book 6, but just got too bored with it....

Has anyone read anything by David Eddings? Either his Belgariad series or his Diamond Throne series? Loved 'em both....

I re-read the HP books once a year, usually during a camping trip over Memorial Day Weekend. I'm a fast reader - I read Order of the Phoenix in 12 hours and the Hallows in 10 - and of course opened each one as soon as I was finished to start it again, LOL.....

My goal is to lose 35 pounds by the time DH part 1 comes out....
    I'm also reading Robert Jordan's "Crossroads of Twilight" the 10th book in his Wheel of Time series. It's... long

Welcome, Resalyn!

I have read some David Eddings -- the first one or two books of Diamond Throne -- it's been a few years, though. My hubby LOVES his work and we have both series sitting on our shelves. Definitely an author I need to give more attention to.

Edited: fixed quote tag.
  • Burtonrah
    Burtonrah Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm definitely in!! I didn't know about the release date until I caught this thread!!!

I'm actually hoping to lose my weight by my 30th birthday in June, so I will join saying I will be maintaining 140lbs by HP release!!!
  • Mande_G
    Options
    I'm definitely in!! I didn't know about the release date until I caught this thread!!!

I'm actually hoping to lose my weight by my 30th birthday in June, so I will join saying I will be maintaining 140lbs by HP release!!!

Welcome!

My 30th birthday is in May, so I feel ya! :laugh: There's no way I'll be to my goal weight by then (hopefully by 31 though!) but I'll be healthier than I was at 29!

Glad to have you here! :flowerforyou:
  • Mishy
    Mishy Posts: 1,551 Member
    Options
    What do you ladies currently do as part of your exercise routine?

Me: I started the Power 90 workout DVDs in mid January. I am on day... 60-something (I am work, but my tracking sheet it at home.) For those not familiar, Power 90 consists of 2 different workouts -- one cardio, and one strength training -- and you alternate each day, taking one day a week as a rest day (no formal exercise).

After I'm done with the Power90, I think I may start the Couch to 5k program. I'm ready for something different than a DVD. :wink:

Currently my exercise routine is 6 days a week of either walking/bike riding outside, Leslie Sansone's walk at home DVDs (I vary the miles and using hand weights depending on how I feel), Bollywood Dancing DVD , Goddess work out DVD or playing Wii (my current favorite game is Walk it Out).
  • madgoth
    madgoth Posts: 60
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansome's walk away the pounds 1 mile right now. I have had a hard time finding an activity that I could and would do and that has worked the best for me. I just need to do it every day and even twice a day sometimes. But at least I am doing something.
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Fit_in_2010 -
    Yes I am like that too. I have a 2 year old so I can't ever just sit and read for hours and hours like I used to. So sometimes my mood changes and I want to read something differant. I am reading at the moment, The third HP book, Time Travellers Wife and just finished The Secret.
    I totally want to read the Wheel of time. I have heard so many great things about that series. My husband has 3 of the books. He really likes them. One day I will give it a try.
  • robin52077
    robin52077 Posts: 4,383 Member
    Options
    My exercise routine is pretty boring...

I work on my feet from 5 am till about noon. I aim for 10000 steps a day on my pedo, so depending on how busy work was, I either go for a little walk outside if it's nice, or power walk on the treadmill till I hit my 10000.

I need some strength training mixed in but don't know what to do or where to start. I know I already get plenty of light cardio, and occasionally some heavy cardio, but nothing to tone up...
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    Oh and for my fitness I usually do some cardio 3 - 4 times a week. Either Jillian Micheals Burn Fat. Or I do 40 min Turbo Jam (that one is good) and then I do 2 days of Crunch - Pick Your Spot Pilates (also Great)
  • CrystalT
    CrystalT Posts: 862 Member
    Options
    I do Leslie Sansome's walk away the pounds 1 mile right now. I have had a hard time finding an activity that I could and would do and that has worked the best for me. I just need to do it every day and even twice a day sometimes. But at least I am doing something.

I just got one of her DVDs a few weeks ago. I really liked her!!

My day is going pretty good. We went and had some really good BBQ for lunch. Yum!!! Hope everyone is doing well!!
  • Emilydmo
    Emilydmo Posts: 101
    Options
    I'd like to jump in here as well! I'd like to be 175 by the time the HP:DH comes out next fall! I've been off the wagon for about two solid weeks now and the scale today said I was up to 219 (8lbs up :sad: ) I'm hoping it's just water/sodium/bloat weight, so my goal for the next two weeks is to get back to were I left off - 211!!

For exercise I hike when the weather is good, just started running again and am starting a 10k training program and then for strength I toss in a P90X video, the 30day shred or Barrys Boot Camp at least 3x a week (or at least I did before I fell off the wagon.. yikes). I'd really like to concentrate on running but I realize my dog isn't very good for anything over 3 miles and I don't like to run alone or on the treadmill.. it's weird, but I don't know if I'd go on a longer run just because I couldn't take him! So it might be back to the elliptical for straight cardio with a three-mile run thrown in every once in a while just to mix it up!
  • robin52077
    Options
    perhaps you could do the 3 miles with the pooch, drop him at home real quick and continue for a little more. Work up to doing the route twice?

If you want to get up to 10K you're going to have to do that eventually anyways...
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Morning, all!

Welcome to the newcomers! :flowerforyou:

I hope everyone is having a beautiful weekend. Saturday was my rest day, and I spent a good deal of it out and about with the hubby, which was very nice. I usually spend Saturday taking care of all of the housework that has piled up during the week (vacuuming, laundry, etc.) but since I was out most of the day, TODAY I'll be busting my butt to get everything accomplished before the work week begins.

Today is day 63 of Power 90. 4 more weeks and I'm -technically- done with the program; though I will be adding 2 extra weeks at the end to make up for some missed days. The weight loss hasn't been spectacular with this program, but I've never had so much strength or muscle tone in my life! (It's just too bad there's too much padding on top for it to be visible to the rest of the world :laugh: ).

I'd like everyone to think about whether or not you would like to have weekly challenges -- personal, or group-wise -- that we would try to meet by weigh in day. Examples would be, exercising for at least 30 minutes for 5 days, drinking at least 8 cups of water (or whatever your personal water goal is), avoiding trigger foods (mine is pizza), etc. Let me know if you're interested! We wouldn't start until after next weigh-in at the earliest -- since we're already 2 days into this week, and still getting to know one another. :smile:

I hope everyone's weekend is pleasant, and I will see you all tomorrow!
  • StephanieJ82
    Options
    That sounds great!
    My personal goals are always to drink 8 glasses of water a day, eat 1200 cals a day and to work out 3x a week but I am upping it to 5 days next week. This is fine for me but of course It would be great to have to check in and MAKE SURE I meet these goals. I have the hardest times with the weekends. I do great all week and then the weekend comes and I undo EVERYTHING. This weekend I have had wine, Chocolate and LOTS of pasta. UGH!
  • robin52077
    Options
    My personal goals are to drink my 8 waters, eat 1200 plus half my exercise calories, and exercise every day, even if it is just 15 minutes of yoga or stretching, which I consider my "day off".

My main goals have nothing to do with the scale. I want to be able to walk up a hill without almost passing out. I can't breathe if I jog for 30 seconds.

I tried the Week 1 part of C25K and almost died in the first 5 minutes, so the 9 week process will probably take me a year.

My HRM went nuts and said I was at 100% when I tried to race my son to the door after our walk.

SO basically, even if the scale never moves another pound, if I can jog for 5 minutes I will consider myself a success.

(Day 11 smoke free, by the way!)
  • Mande_G
    Options
    Taking a quick break from housework to check in...

I guess I should post my goals too! :laugh: I aim for 1360 base calories per day, and try to eat back most if not all of my exercise cals. I was set at 1200 previously, and only eating back 1/2 if ANY of my exercise calories and it stalled my weight loss. I seem to be doing much better now that I've upped my intake. Water, I aim for 12-16 cups per day (I live in Vegas, and it's really dry MOST of the year, and HOT a LOT of the year, so... yeah). Exercise, I aim for 5-6 days per week. I find I sometimes need an extra day off, but I've not had an issue with getting in at least 5 solid days per week. Weekends are weird for me -- I tend to either overindulge (if we go out to eat) or not eat ENOUGH (because I tend to sleep in, and I don't like to eat too early... ) but I'm working on that.

I want to maintain what I'm doing as far as food and water intake, and exercise. I need to avoid takeout pizza (it's a bad trigger food for me -- frozen Amy's pizza I can do about once per week and be good, eat only one serving -- takeout is another matter entirely.) I also need to completely avoid chocolate and alcohol. I got rid of all of the alcohol in the house (minus a couple small bottles of cooking wine, and a teeny bit of vodka that we keep in the freezer and use to medicate sore wisdom teeth) which has helped TREMENDOUSLY. It's not that I was a big drinker -- I have issues with heart palpitations, and caffeine and alcohol seem to trigger them. Plus, eliminating those foods from my diet can only help me get healthier, so that's a plus!

I switched to eating vegetarian a couple weeks ago. I go through periods where I just can't stand to eat meat -- I think it has to do with how I eat. The healthier my diet, the less I want meat -- to the point where it's just unpalatable. I don't know that I would ever want to go vegan -- I eat quite a bit of lean dairy and occasionally eggs -- but I'm pretty happy with how I'm eating these days. I eat lots of raw fruits and veggies, some frozen veggies, lean dairy (as I said before - skim milk, greek yogurt, fat free cottage cheese, laughing cow cheese), some processed grains (wheat bread, multigrain crackers, some wheat pasta, couscous) and unprocessed grains (quinoa, steel-cut oats, brown rice), some beans (I need to incorporate more, but I haven't quite learned how to cook beans from scratch yet), tofu, nuts and nut butters (natural), whey protein powder and protein bars, as well as some processed sauces (tomato-based pasta sauce and various curries). I avoid MSG, hydrogenated oils, high fructose corn syrup, and artificial sweeteners whenever I can.

And... now I need to go clean my kitchen. :wink: