Obese flier turned away from airlines; dies overseas

Options

Replies

• Sox90716
    Sox90716 Posts: 976 Member
    Options
    The only people who will benefit from this are the scumbag attorneys. The airlines will settle with the family and pass their losses onto the consumer.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    When did obesity become a disability?

She had those diseases because of her obesity

Why should we have to accomodate this?

Airlines consider obesity a disability, I have experienced it firsthand, they give you are card that says because of your disability you get to pre board

Wow...I don't know how I feel about that heh
  • Danny_Boy13
    Danny_Boy13 Posts: 2,094 Member
    Options
    I don't mean to sound insensitive but it sounds to me like she was having medical issues before trying to take the flight. The airlines tried to get her on another plane and that didn't work. Why did she not seek medical care where she was and forget the flight? They didn't refuse her a flight, they tried to accomidate...businesses can not be held responsible for not being prepared for every possible senerio that walks through. I think this is another case of someone trying to exploit and profit from something they could have prevented themselves.

More importantly if these health issue were there before she left, then why even make the trip at all. I mean sure everyone would love to be in their homeland with family and all but if your health is at risk or an issue then why go in the first place.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    As a business, they have the right to refuse service.
  • Ivian_
    Ivian_ Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    How did she get over there in the first place? Assuming there were no problems flying over there, why such a mix up flying back?
  • KANGOOJUMPS
    KANGOOJUMPS Posts: 6,473 Member
    Options
    sad she died, but that is it,, she needed to get her **** together.
  • half_moon
    half_moon Posts: 807 Member
    Options
    How did she get over there in the first place? Assuming there were no problems flying over there, why such a mix up flying back?

Since she was there for a month, I'm guessing she gained more weight while on her vacation.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    She was a very sick woman....she died. nobody else faults. They have great doctors and care where she was......she was not in the darkest part of africa savana!!!
  • Thomasm198
    Thomasm198 Posts: 3,189 Member
    Options
    “They were sent from airline to airline, they were sent driving around, they were just treated completely inhumanely,” Ronai told NBC News.

Soltesz, 56, and her husband came on board their scheduled KLM flight to New York on Oct. 15 with the help of a Skylift elevator, but the captain told them to disembark because of an issue with the seatback and because the airline didn’t have a seatbelt extender, Ronai said.

KLM countered that it was not physically possible for Soltesz to board the aircraft, despite every effort made by the airline.

“A seat or belt extender did not offer a solution either,” said KLM spokeswoman Ellen van Ginkel, in a statement to NBC News.

“Subsequently, KLM and its partners Delta and Air France did it utmost to find an alternative in the two days that followed. The passenger also took the initiative herself to approach her ticket agent to look for alternatives with other airlines.”
    It sounds like the lawyer is just an "ambulance chaser" and is encouraging the husband to take the case because he sees big dollar signs in his eyes.

If she needed medical attention then why didn't her husband take her to a hospital instead of wasting time trying to get her a plane back to the US?
  • Lauren8239
    Lauren8239 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I read the article when it came out. She was so sick that common sense would dictate that you do not fly or travel. She refused to see a doctor in Hungary because she said they wouldn't understand her illness. A group of firemen couldn't even lift her. If you haven't seen a picture of her, check it out. She was in very sad shape, and her family claim her obesity was because of high blood pressure and diabetes. Um...other way 'round. The airlines and local services bent over backwards to help her. She shouldn't have been travelling in the first place!
  • LaurySch
    LaurySch Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Not the airline's fault, but some of you guys are complete d*cks considering you probably were fat *kitten* too at one point.

Because calling people who disagree with you insensitive appendages is a valid comeback.

Unfortunately bad things happen, she was sick before she went over there and having flown many times before I'm sure she knew how difficult the process could be - after all she had bought 2 seats for the flight over there.

I would rather hear stories of people who experience 'injustice' and work to correct the problem instead of whiners who complain and sue when things don't go their way.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    She should not have been traveling. She was very ill before she left the country. The airlines made best effort to accommodate her. Not all airports have the same accommodations and are able to find a way to get someone that large into a plane.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    insensitive appendages

I think that just turned into an oxymoron. :laugh:
  • farfoorah
    Options

Since she was there for a month, I'm guessing she gained more weight while on her vacation.

That can definitely be it...I've gained ten pounds on a month vacation before....it was pretty awful...
  • fiveferrels
    fiveferrels Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I guess I should just delete my account and die since I am over 400 lbs, thanks for all the encouragement
  • Poorgirls_Diet
    Poorgirls_Diet Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Blimey people the woman is dead, have a bit of compassion! No-one knows the true extent of her health problems so stop being judgemental. The question I would like to ask is why did the airline allow her to fly in the first place?

I travelled to Auz about three years ago on an airline. My ticket was business class. While I was over there I broke two bones in my ankle but they wouldn't put a cast on it. The doctor give me a note to give to the airline that I needed to have my leg stretched out and in support but while I got on there they put me in a seat with no leg room, was squashed to say the least. About two seats up from me there was an empty pair of seats, I asked the stewardess if it was ok to move there so I could stretch my legs out she said I had to stay in the seat that I was as I hadn't paid for two seats. I then offered too and they said it was too late. By the time we landed my leg was swollen like a balloon, got up, collapsed rushed to hospital and was found with a dvt. Two months later I sued the airline on their incompetance and 18 months later won the case, got my flight refunded and compensated! So depending on the individual some airlines really suck and do not help whatsoever.
  • laurenellenmarie
    laurenellenmarie Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    What in the hell is wrong with you people? I know I would never say anything like that about another person let alone in a community that is supposed to help people with that very same problem. Were you all gorgeous and skinny when you started on here? I doubt it.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    I guess I should just delete my account and die since I am over 400 lbs, thanks for all the encouragement

Don't you dare! :grumble:
  • lallaloolly
    lallaloolly Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    being unable to accommodate her and being unwilling to accommodate her are two very different things. they tried. they tried to accommodate her. in every instance, they exhausted their options. people cannot expect the world to guarantee them what they need in exactly the way they need it at all times and in all places. it would be nice if the world worked that way, but it just isn't possible.

all airlines (and all businesses) can do is try to anticipate what their customers will need. this doesn't mean that they will be able to succeed at all times, especially when confronted with a one-in-100-million customer who falls so far out of the bell curve that she required highly specialized equipment just to get her on a plane.

the airline didn't kill this woman. her poor health did.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    Wow, I can't wait until I lose enough weight that I don't feel horrible for the 'fat piece of ****'.
This discussion has been closed.