Couch to 5k

Options
124»

Replies

• ChrDG
    ChrDG Posts: 10
    Options
    I have finished week 5 - day 3, that is a 20 minutes run! I did not think it would be possible when I started off - even the one minute intervals were feeling quite hard. It is possible! Part of the reason it felt so hard in the beginning was probably because I was running to fast (not objectively fast, of course, but compared to my shape). I thinkk I have slowed down a bit now. The 20 minutes run did not feel too much harder than the 5 minutes runs the previous week. Your body adjusts - so far I think the C25K program builds up in a reasonable way.
  • htmlgirl
    htmlgirl Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I cannot recommend this program enough. I couldn't run more than a minute. I did the c25k program back in November. A couple days ago I ran for 50 minutes straight (4.5 miles), my highest ever. If you can't run and want to start, this is an excellent program to do so. Just the sense of accomplishment when I beat my previous mileage is rewarding enough, not to mention the calorie burn and increase in fitness.
  • masanz1
    masanz1 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    coming in June will mark the 1st anniversary of when i started c25k...since that time i have ran multiple 5k's and 10k's...this year I am doing a half marathon and a mini tri and just finish a 9.5 mile endurance trail run. this program works and i highly recommend it
  • somedude69
    Options
    i just started week 3 day 1 yesterday and it went very well, felt good, at the end of week 2 (a friday), day 3 my legs were hurting so bad i was almost sure i was going to repeat week 2 again, however come monday i felt energized and was able to do day 1 of week 3, week 4 though looks very scary not sure if i could run for 5 min!

im an ex alcoholic, about 7 years of daily drinking under my belt(literally), when i first started getting "active" i could barely do 10 jumping jacks without almost passing out of exhaustion, so thanks to all for posting their experiences as they are motivation for some here (like me)

Initially when i decided i wanted to run i had never heard of this program and would ranomly jog until i got tired, then walked till i felt ready to zombie jog again. Now with this program sometimes i feel i can do more or sometimes less, but so far even though im barely on week 3 i feel greeeeeeaaat!!
  • somedude69
    Options
    that last bit was pretty funny actually didnt expect that
  • Qatsi
    Qatsi Posts: 2,191 Member
    Options
    I've never been a runner, but just walked my first 5K over the weekend. Having done that, I'm starting to think about bigger goals - walk a 10K, walk a half-marathon, RUN a 5K (not necessarily in that order). And after that, who knows?

My biggest concern is the stress on my almost-50-year-old knees, given that I've never run in my life and I'm still carrying around about 70 pounds of excess baggage. But I've looked at the C25K program and this might be the proper way to ease into it for me.

To follow up: I decided to try C25K in June - and after the first day realized I was still not ready for running. But I stuck with the program, substituting in fast walking (146 steps/minute) for the running segments, and doing TWO sets per program day as part of my daily walking routine. About halfway through I gradually started increasing the pace of the fast walking. By the time I was done with the program in August, I was able to walk two 35 minute segments at 160 steps/minute (a little over 4 mph). That training helped prepare me to walk a full marathon in October (in 6hr 50min - a sustained pace of over 3.8 mph).

At some point I plan to revisit the program and actually try jogging. Still concerned about the impact on my knees, though, so it'll probably be sometime after the first of the year before I decide I'm ready.

Bottom line - if your goal is to get moving, and moving faster than you ever could before, this program really works!
  • CountryGal83
    CountryGal83 Posts: 640 Member
    Options
    I plan to start this program next week! I'm excited to start. Glad I read this thread!
  • mrtrik
    mrtrik Posts: 31
    Options
    Haven't read through the thread... but if you have an iphone download the official C25K app. My wife used it - it's awesome. Basically hit start and it reminds you when to start walking/jogging. No need to manually track it super easy.

Not sure if it's available for android or others (assume it is...)

Good luck!
  • xtrout
    xtrout Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Just finished this program today. Although I really hate running, I was able to accomplish the program. Was it hard? yes. But if I can do it, anyone can. I was the kid in high school who walked at the back of the pack when the PE teacher made us run laps. Now at 44, I was able to run 3.1 miles straight with no walking/stopping. Will be running an actual 5K event on 12/9.
  • stetienne
    stetienne Posts: 560 Member
    Options
    I used to hate, Hate, HATE running. But I have been doing this program, and although it's taking a while to get through because I still can't/won't always find time for it, I actually have begun to start looking forward to running. And the way the program works, before you know it, you're doing 20 minutes non-stop without even realizing it.
  • alliet12
    alliet12 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Want read later --- Bump!
  • tiffanypettyjohn
    Options
    I love this program! Have completed it and now going through it again with a good friend.