respones to friend requests

Options
123457»

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    I agree with the majority of what has been said but wonder about people that have 200-500+ friends...really...you interact with them all. i want people that I can interact with and who share them same goals, humour, etc. If you have 500 friends and you know all that is going on in their lives then you need a life other than MFP and you won`t be helpful to me.

Which is why I don't accept FR's anymore.

I have almost 800 friends. There are about 100 that I am active with - the other 700 think I am a twitter feed they subscribe to. They dont interact with me and I dont interact with them.

Not everyone uses the connect feature so they can keep up with each other - lots and lots of us use it as - people who talk about things that are awesome and fun and I want them in my news feed -

But that's your personal choice, Yoovie. I felt like I was missing important stuff on the newsfeed when I had too many friends. People that I interacted with most often had stuff going on in their lives and I wanted to offer them my support, but I was missing it.

Also, I'm not especially fond of getting deleted which many seem to do after adding you and not feeling supported enough so I prefer to keep my list to those I'm closest to.

thats 100000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000% acceptable, i was just stating my own personal situation not guidelines for any other humans.

there are often jabs sent at people like me who have ridiculous amounts of people on our friends list. I thought it would be nice to take the chance to clarify that most people on my friends list dont know Im a real person and just think im a twitter feed.
  • breyn2004
    breyn2004 Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I have a request at the top of my page that is very clear - please include a message. If someone does not, I decline. If they do not spend the time to read it why would I spend the time to PM them and tell them why I am declining? I am also not about to PM the peeps I think are creepers - that would be an awkward message.

^^ Agreed
  • skankamaggot
    skankamaggot Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I only ignore a friend request if they are trying to push products on me or are trying to sell something, but I weed out my friends list once in a while. I don't consider myself a "friend collector" as in, I want to have a close support system with those I am friends with, and if someone has 700+ friends, well, we probably aren't going to be that close.
  • mabelbabel1
    mabelbabel1 Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    I accept friend requests but (and I do say this on my profile), if the person who sent the request never interacts with me and seems to just "collect" friends for the sake of it, then in due course I will hide them from my feed and in time will probably delete them.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    I add anybody who requests me even though I kind of prefer an introduction at least. The only three glaring exceptions to that rule are people who are Pro-Ana (Sorry, I can't sit idly by and watch you damage yourself) and those who are trying to sell me stuff. (I see one mention of Body by Vi and not going to happen.) and those who just have hot guys in their profile. I'm not some piece of meat for you man collectors. I request people who fall in one of following categories.

a) People who are the same age and size as I am so I can learn from them.
    b) People who can debate me on who would win in a fight, the death star or the Enterprise.
    c) People who are players of the thing where I was internet famous on before I was internet almost-famous on here.
    d) People who are way way cooler then me and I want their mojo.
    e) Guys who I'm way hotter then, so I can steal their wimmenz as my own (I'm looking at you Brett).

I don't interact with people as much as I want to, mostly because I'm involved in a startup and I have no time whatsoever, so most people quit me fairly quickly.
  • HowieTwoPointZero
    HowieTwoPointZero Posts: 494 Member
    Options
    MFP Rules Regarding Friend Requests:

If you don't accept someone, regardless of if they include a message or not, you are a jerk.

If you accept everyone you'll have a large friends list you can't keep up with, making you a jerk.

Once you accept that someone here is always going to hate you no matter what you do you can relax and just start doing whatever the hell you want.

Since you both declined, then accepted mine, that makes you a double jerk.

Also I learned from Brett that the site filters profanity in friend requests. WTF.

YOU'RE the jerk, jerkface!!

(dear mods, he's a friend, we're joking, please don't send me to the bad place)

Nooooooooooooo, not the bad place. I'll be good, promise.
  • Shannon2714
    Shannon2714 Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    I ignore most FR. I couldn't really care less about sending a message as to why, my reasons don't matter. You have to be pretty damn special for me to accept.
  • _skittybang
    _skittybang Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    I accept almost every FR and really only decline if there's no message. Now, some people know my brand of humor and have had their FR's deleted because they use my kind of language.... only to find out we were both getting our requests deleted until we finally clean up our act. I don't delete really, people have deleted me countless times, though.

If I decline, I don't send a message. If I delete (which I've done about twice since I've been here) I also don't send a message. Hell, they probably didn't even notice.
  • greenpointmoni
    Options
    Exactly how I feel. I don't care if people send me a message. Just add me. I've added people on threads without sending them a message. Usually because I like what they say. But if they don't add me, I don't care, I probably forgot I added them. I'm just here for support, to read others stories, and to lose weight. I see this strictly as an internet support site, I have no intention of making real life friends here.
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    why would I send a note when I don't receive the same curtosy. I appreciate chatty friends and usually a blank friend request means that they will be deadbeat friends. I am a very giving friend and like friends that are supportive too. I usually delete people after a little bit of time if they do not communicate with me.