why do guys wear those workout gloves?

Options

Replies

• Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    OHP 185 for reps wearing gloves

I thought I was doing crapppy by OHP 145 for reps but looking at you, I think that I must be on track!
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna say who or by whom, but somebody round here got served a big bowl of shut the fck up

:bigsmile:
    Yep..I wear gloves too.
  • n0ob
    n0ob Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options

I thought I was doing crapppy by OHP 145 for reps but looking at you, I think that I must be on track!
    yeah, a good form 145 for reps is pretty solid. Most guys push press or half rep though...
  • Jacwhite22
    Jacwhite22 Posts: 7,012 Member
    Options
    <--- This guy wears gloves. Has benched 415 wearing gloves. Has deadlifted 550+ wearing gloves. OHP 185 for reps wearing gloves. Squats 450+ wearing gloves. Strangely, has never dropped a bar. Even more strangely, does not have calluses.

When new people come to train with me, the first thing I tell them to get is gloves. And you know what we do after that? We start yanking big weight. We don't spend time telling each other that "it'll stop hurting when the calluses get harder". We don't spend time filing our calluses when we get home. We just keep putting weight on the bar without being limited by hands that hurt.

But I have a question for the OP. When did it become a thing for one man to question what another man is wearing? That sounds like some Mean Girls type shish to me. I have no worldly idea what the other guys in the gym are wearing. I don't even see the other people in the gym. I'm there to move big weight, not check out the current men's fashions

But to each their own, I guess. Hang around, enjoy the view.

This. I don't wear gloves myself.....but wouldn't care if others do. Frankly I think I could DL a bit more if I did. Pain in my hands tends to give out before grip strength itself.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I'm not gonna say who or by whom, but somebody round here got served a big bowl of shut the fck up

On an unrelated note, what gloves do you use Dav?

I'm not even sure. I'm not loyal to any particular brand, and go thru gloves about 2x per year. I pop into Sport Chalet or whereever, find a pair that fit right and purchase. I will say the simpler the glove the better. I've seen some made from neoprene or that have extra padding or gel or some such. Doesn't end well.

The gloves I choose for lifting are almost identical to the gloves I use for bike riding.
  • anil8er
    Options
    For safety...a solid grip is essential for proper form. A sweaty palm on heavy bench will distract your concentration if your hands start slipping. There are different hand placement positions to pinpoint the muscle you want to develop and the last thing you want to be concerned with is your hands slipping. As they say, the key to success is a solid foundation.
    On that point I will switch out to Lifting Straps for deadlifts, barbell shrugs, dumbell shrugs, bent over rows and even for back machines so I can go heavy and keep proper form.
    It don't matter what people think, it's about your safety first...

I wear gloves but still develop calluses...
    also....Chalk is not allowed in most gyms
  • FullOfWin
    FullOfWin Posts: 1,414 Member
    Options

yeah, a good form 145 for reps is pretty solid. Most guys push press or half rep though...

I caught myself instinctively cheating by leaning back a bit when I got up to ~135-140, so now I pay attention to that and have bucked up and taken failed reps instead.
  • Cranktastic
    Cranktastic Posts: 1,517 Member
    Options
    Gloves have feelings too.

1334595259_gloves_preview.gif
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Gloves have feelings too.

1334595259_gloves_preview.gif

that is so creepy LOL
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    The only time it affects me really, is when they leave all of that black leather or whatever clogging up all the knurling.
  • fcp1234
    fcp1234 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    I wear mine cause they are cute
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    I wear them because I have intense callouses from rock climbing, and when I dead lift, the bar pinches my callouses and sometimes rips them open.
  • almonds1
    almonds1 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Calluses can interfere with rubbing one out.

Or enhance the experience

Double stranger!
    Ribbed - for her pleasure
  • xxthoroughbred
    xxthoroughbred Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I can understand if a female did not want to get calluses, but i think even that thought is somewhat dated. as a matter of fact, I don't think any of the girls in my gym wear those gloves and are rather proud of calluses from lifting.

Lady here, but ugh. I've seen some seriously nasty calluses and I do NOT want them. I don't care if I can lift heavier than some guys at the gym. I don't care if I'm proud of lifting and proud of my body. I'm not going to act like I'm too cool for gloves.

And yes, calluses on guys are gross. Rough hands are to be expected, but nasty calluses? No thanks.
  • stubbseyt
    stubbseyt Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    They match my purse

i like that!!!
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    What a strange thread. Even with calluses, you can still lift and feel pain from your hands... guy OR girl (hi heteronormativity), wearing gloves makes sense for better grip. I have calluses that I am neither proud or embarrassed of, but my calluses are not a perfect substitute for gloves--pull ups still suck without gloves.
  • Captain_Tightpants
    Captain_Tightpants Posts: 2,215 Member
    Options
    They prevent hand pregancy.
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I wouldn't want my guy to touch me with calloused hands. My skin is very sensitive

This. It is not about me it is all about my wife. I want touching my wife to be a turn on NOT a turn off.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options
    I don't really feel strongly for or against gloves, but I do think that a lot of the time when people want gloves, what they need is form correction on their grip. If you KNOW that your grip is solid and you still want gloves, so be it. If you THINK your grip is correct and you want gloves, it's probably not.

I have them but I don't wear them often- I have small hands and it's hard enough without them.
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    Using gloves is no different thank using straps. If you hands are that strong and tuff don't use them. Must be using lite weights.

Truth.

tumblr_m1rnakFQte1qejf6ho1_400.gif