1200 calories = more likely to have problems?

Options

Replies

• 2rnip
    2rnip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I wonder if you guys will feel the same about 1200 calorie dieting next time you do this.....

Good question.

I wonder why anyone would choose to eat the least amount of food possible instead of the highest amount.

to lose more, faster
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    BTW- in order for me to lose 1lb/week, I have to eat 1200. When I work out I get some back.

to lose .5lb/week I get around 1400. I try to eat between 1200-1400 depending on the day..

Weight loss isn't easy when you don't have much to lose... =/

When you have less than 50 pounds to lose, a half pound per week is ideal.

No, 1lb a week is fine. You are thinking about the recommendation for when you have less than 10lb to lose.

I don't recall seeing a breakdown that had ten pounds as a category. But either way, losing a half pound instead of a full pound makes more sense to me.
  • beefoutz
    beefoutz Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    To JustaNumber85: Reading through these posts I noticed alot of people were not being very supportive. Dont give up. I am on 1200 calories too. When I joined MFP in August that was the number they suggested. I have just re-started again after about 4 weeks of personal issues. Most people I have come across here are kind and supportive. Ignore the rest. One thing that helps me is drinking the water. The rule I try to follow is to drink half my weight in ounces. I add lemon juice to the water too. I stay on track better with protein and veggies. Also I journal my food the day before so I have a plan. I tweak it at the end of the day. I am 50 and want/need to lose another 70 pounds. This site really is helpful. Good luck with your journey!:happy:
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I wonder if you guys will feel the same about 1200 calorie dieting next time you do this.....

Good question.

I wonder why anyone would choose to eat the least amount of food possible instead of the highest amount.

to lose more, faster

That's what makes no sense. It's just my opinion, to be sure, but I am trying to lose weight slowly. In fact, I just increased my calories because I am still losing over two pounds a week.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    BTW- in order for me to lose 1lb/week, I have to eat 1200. When I work out I get some back.

to lose .5lb/week I get around 1400. I try to eat between 1200-1400 depending on the day..

No, 1lb a week is fine. You are thinking about the recommendation for when you have less than 10lb to lose.

I don't recall seeing a breakdown that had ten pounds as a category. But either way, losing a half pound instead of a full pound makes more sense to me.

I am not sure why. Losing 1lb a week is fine. When you have say 40 lb to lose, 1/2 lb is awfully slow going and would be demotivating to me.
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I am not sure why. Losing 1lb a week is fine. When you have say 40 lb to lose, 1/2 lb is awfully slow going and would be demotivating to me.

I guess. Maybe it's just me. It took me 20 years to gain this weight, and I am not trying to take it all off in 6 months. I want to maintain my LBM as well as allow ample time for my skin to adjust.

ETA: And I like to eat.
  • lrob100
    lrob100 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    I've eaten 1200 calories a day for 5 1/2 months and lost 77 lbs. Also intense exercise 6 days a week. It is working for me.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

I guess. Maybe it's just me. It took me 20 years to gain this weight, and I am not trying to take it all off in 6 months. I want to maintain my LBM as well as allow ample time for my skin to adjust.

You liking to eat and eat more is fine - that is personal preference. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with losing 1lb a week. Also, with strength training, at a 1lb a week deficit you should maintain as much LBM as with a 1/2 lb deficit. I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/HQ01625

I lost a pound a week for the first 25lb - I have no skin issues - it's all relative.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options

Good question.

Another question might be- What would I want to spend 2 years getting to goal weight when I can get there in one year and still not feel like I am starving?

To each their own.
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Seriously. Why is this issue still being argued? Eat at the calorie level that is right for you and quit trying to force your opinions on everyone else.

You never see threads that say "2500 calories = more likely to get fat?"
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options

You liking to eat and eat more is fine - that is personal preference. But there is absolutely nothing wrong with losing 1lb a week. Also, with strength training, at a 1lb a week deficit you should maintain as much LBM as with a 1/2 lb deficit. I have not seen anything to indicate otherwise.

http://www.cdc.gov/healthyweight/losing_weight/index.html
    http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/weight-loss/HQ01625

I lost a pound a week for the first 25lb - I have no skin issues - it's all relative.

A voice of reason. Thank you!
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

Good question.

to lose more, faster

That's what makes no sense. It's just my opinion, to be sure, but I am trying to lose weight slowly. In fact, I just increased my calories because I am still losing over two pounds a week.
    Nah, you're just doing it correctly.

Weight loss is not a race. You want to make it enjoyable as possible. That means consume as much as food as possible, while still losing at a healthy rate.

More food equals more fuel, which means better mood, and most importantly better performance in the gym.
  • jessicathomas15
    Options

So true! It's frustrating but if I up my calorie limit I PUT ON weight. I think I just have a ****e metabolism or something. I do find 1200 cals so restricting though, I have to eat so little for lunch to be able to have a decent meal for dinner!
  • DebbieLyn63
    Options
    Those on 1200 - do you think your muscle mass is maintained on this amount?

Anyone?

Sure it is. Once again, I wonder why there's this idea that everyone on 1200 is doing radical dieting. It depends on the size of your frame and on your current weight. I'm mini-sized. Not twiggy skinny. I'm short, narrow shouldered, and I'm only carying 20lbs extra weight, and that's what the thing recommended to me and it hasn't been remotely challenging so I seriously doubt I'm starving myself.

Oh this doesn't sound like a big deficit AT ALL. In fact, at 1200 calories, you're probably going over your TDEE so muscle would definitely be retained here, I'm actually surprised your not gaining muscle as some of the other magical 1200 calorie eaters are.

Wizardry FTW!

I guess I must be magical then, as I am stronger now than I was 3 months ago! And down 26 pounds.
  • REDI4CHANGE60
    Options
    Has anyone else noticed that most of the "I have a problem..." threads are started by those with a 1200 calorie daily limit? Especially the "I can't stop snacking" and "I'm so hungry!" threads.

Coincidence? Something to consider if you're currently struggling at 1200 calories?

Or am I just imagining this?

Pssst! Yes, you are imagining it ... take your meds. (JK, of course.) I am getting in quality PROTEIN (upped my percentage over the recommended MFP), Veggies and eating clean at 1200 or so calories a day ... feeling GREAT and losing weight. I am working out, not feeding my body easily accessible carbs so it's going after the fat stores and burning fat ... not muscle. At least that's what my trainer and my doctor's dietitian says happens.
  • KellyAthleticsLLC
    KellyAthleticsLLC Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    exercise and you earn more calories ;-) Inbox me and i'll calculate your required daily calorie needs for you (Personal Trainer). maybe MFP is wrong? Everyone's needs are different...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

So true! It's frustrating but if I up my calorie limit I PUT ON weight. I think I just have a ****e metabolism or something. I do find 1200 cals so restricting though, I have to eat so little for lunch to be able to have a decent meal for dinner!
    This is quite simple to fix.

Don't jump from 1200 to your new calorie intake at once.

If you have been eating at 1200 calories for an extend period of time your metabolism is screwed. You need to slowly add calories back in. I don't know what your macros are but you can start with adding carbs at 15-25 grams per week. You're going to add some weight back on but that is natural.

Trust me your body and your mind will appreciate it.

The goal is to establish the highest threshold possible. You need to start taking notes and slowly make changes.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    I tried eating 1200 when i first started, and yeah no go. I am now eating anywhere between 1500-1700 (ok I net that most days) and sometimes with more exercise up to 2000 (my tdee is up over 2000 i know this and bmr is over 1500) and ironically, volia!!!!! I lose weight, maybe not as much as i like, but i can work with it, and i am okay with it :bigsmile:
  • ancurtis
    ancurtis Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I stay, for the most part between 1200 and 1500 a day and eat soooooo much food. It's amazing how much I eat and all this week I'm at a deficit of 200 or so calories after exercise. I think alot has to do with what you eat and what works for you. I am small and don't need alot of food. I make the best choices I can, while keeping my budget (single mom, school teacher, teenage boy to feed) in mind. I don't by into starvation mode at the 1200 calorie limit, I am in no way starving and eat so much....everyday!
  • jul2526
    jul2526 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

Gosh, I wish more people understood EXACTLY what you said.

The less you have to lose the HARDER it is!!!!!!!

NICELY PUT...