Need to Lose 100 LBS -Robins Thread !

Options

Replies

• kah68
    kah68 Posts: 1,515 Member
    Options
    Good Morning & Happy Friday.

@Alison~Such good information about visualization. I only eat when I’m hungry & I also eat 5-6 small meals a day to keep my metabolism from having dips. I hope to get a long run in on Saturday as well – my Commitment Day 5k is just a month away!

@Hyzaarc~I am truly sorry for your loss. It’s just as important to take care of you as it is to take care of others during this period of grief. I hope that you find solace soon.

@Robin~Since I’m single and its next to impossible to cook for one, I find myself cooking it batches and freezing. It’s nice because I find that there are 1-2 weekends a month I won’t need to cook. I try to find recipes that serve 4-6 and make a couple of different recipes at once – that gives me some variation during the week and a good amount of dinners ready in the freezer when I need them. One thing I do regularly is look for chicken breast on sale – I then buy around 5 pounds or so and poach it, cut & divide into 3oz packages and freeze. Having that around makes it so easy to throw a salad together for lunch – pretty much a staple for me.

@Toots~Sorry about your loss, safe travels to you.

@ktaqt3399~Looks like a great workout schedule ahead for next week, enjoy the bachelorette party this weekend!

@Angelika~Thanks for the info on vitamin D levels, I never knew that could affect sleep. I’ve been sleeping horribly all week – averaged 5 hours each night this week and last night had only 4, exhausted! :yawn:

@Doug~Excellent job with the running last night. I love it when I workout leaves me wiped out like that, you worked hard! Awesome!!!

Friday Fitness~Except for the miss on Monday due to having to work late and leave work to meet the plumber I had great workouts all week – and it showed on the scale this morning, as you can see by my ticker I FINALLY crossed over that century threshold I’ve been trying to hit for weeks! Session with trainer was good last night, too. We did some different things, more or less conditioning drills – burned a lot more calories at that than I thought I would. Great workout! I love it when he changes things up that way – it’s nice because we usually go into the spinning room where it’s really cool and just the two of us. No distractions! I think my new Fitbit One is also helping to keep me more active, I find myself striving to walk at least 10,000 steps and 5 miles per day – even taking stairs more often to help the stairs climbed feature log more. Fitness this week:

Monday~None – worked late
    Tuesday~Run/Elliptical DONE!
    Wednesday~Cross Trainer DONE!
    Thursday~Training DONE
    Friday~Maybe none, was going to run but may go to happy hour with friends from work
    Saturday~Outside Run, at least a 5k
    Sunday~Training

:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: WATER TAG :drinker: :drinker: :drinker:

Kelley
  • kah68
    Options
    Ive never been able to run.....I was always the kid walking the mile in gym. After four monthes on this site my stamina in working out cardio wise is amazingly better.....Except....I still cant run for ****. I want to change this. With us moving to a neighborhood where I feel I can actually Run for a change I would like to take advantage of this come next summer. My cousin runs in 5 k's all the time and I would love to share this experience. I definatly need to build up to that. I want to start Couch to 5k and actually finish it. My mother is getting me some good running shoes for christmas and I would like to wait for those because when I try to do it in the past I have developed bad knee pain due to inaddequate footwear. I want to be successful in this venture....im going to build up on the treadmill. From what I have been told I should work on my stamina first and speed later. My goal is by summer to be able to go for a run around my neighborhood. Im hoping that by doing it in the gym thru the winter I will develop stamina so that I dont feel like an idiot running through my neighborhood in the spring. Runnng is something that definatly is a part of fitness that has always scared me because it has always been such a failure in the past. I want to overcome this hurdle and become a successful runner. I know this will not be easy bieng a out of shape 295 lb woman. I welcome all tips as I am eager to absorb any bits of advice from people who run and I definatly need advice as i am very un knowledgable on it.

Running is definitely something you can't just go out and "do" without prepping. I was an athlete and runner in high school, and as my trainer says that athlete is in there somewhere we just need to find her. He got me running again. It can be frustrating, at first I felt like I was going to die after 30 seconds - after time you build up the stamina to run longer. I can now run around 15 minutes without stopping to walk, something that has taken me 3 months to build up to. For me, I don't run for speed I run for distance - as long as I finish a 5k in under an hour I'm happy, because I know I'll do better on the next one. Finishing is the important part for me. Doing the C25K is an excellent training program for building stamina, distance, and speed. Running is my favorite form of exercise, its gets my endorphins going like nothing else can!
  • ktaqt3399
    ktaqt3399 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    [/quote]

Running is definitely something you can't just go out and "do" without prepping. I was an athlete and runner in high school, and as my trainer says that athlete is in there somewhere we just need to find her. He got me running again. It can be frustrating, at first I felt like I was going to die after 30 seconds - after time you build up the stamina to run longer. I can now run around 15 minutes without stopping to walk, something that has taken me 3 months to build up to. For me, I don't run for speed I run for distance - as long as I finish a 5k in under an hour I'm happy, because I know I'll do better on the next one. Finishing is the important part for me. Doing the C25K is an excellent training program for building stamina, distance, and speed. Running is my favorite form of exercise, its gets my endorphins going like nothing else can!
    [/quote]

Yeah I looked up running apps and this seems like the best one....I definatly want to build stamina before speed. even though i feel stupid with how slow i run I know it will improve with time. I just hope I dont give up I get discouraged easily. But I plan on starting this After christmas with my new running shoes so hopefully I am successful.
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Ive never been able to run.....I was always the kid walking the mile in gym. After four monthes on this site my stamina in working out cardio wise is amazingly better.....Except....I still cant run for ****. I want to change this. With us moving to a neighborhood where I feel I can actually Run for a change I would like to take advantage of this come next summer. My cousin runs in 5 k's all the time and I would love to share this experience. I definatly need to build up to that. I want to start Couch to 5k and actually finish it. My mother is getting me some good running shoes for christmas and I would like to wait for those because when I try to do it in the past I have developed bad knee pain due to inaddequate footwear. I want to be successful in this venture....im going to build up on the treadmill. From what I have been told I should work on my stamina first and speed later. My goal is by summer to be able to go for a run around my neighborhood. Im hoping that by doing it in the gym thru the winter I will develop stamina so that I dont feel like an idiot running through my neighborhood in the spring. Runnng is something that definatly is a part of fitness that has always scared me because it has always been such a failure in the past. I want to overcome this hurdle and become a successful runner. I know this will not be easy bieng a out of shape 295 lb woman. I welcome all tips as I am eager to absorb any bits of advice from people who run and I definatly need advice as i am very un knowledgable on it.

@kt: I would definitely work on stamina first. I actually did 6 months of walking before even attempting to run. I started c25k in January of this year and have run a 5k. As far as waiting for the shoes, DEFINITELY DO THIS. I tried to run before I got my running shoes and my ankles and back killed me. After I got them, I still have a little pain but it was like night and day. Btw, its awesome that you can run 15 minutes. When I started I couldn't run for 30 seconds. KEEP IT UP!

OH! Almost forgot. Don't expect to like running at first. Your body will HATE you for try to do it initially and you'll feel like quitting. The important thing to remember is to keep at it and go for distance instead of speed. My normal pace is a little less than 3mph but I'm able to run that consistently for about 4 miles. Right now I'm doing intervals on my treadmill to build up my speed and get my 5k time down. I'd like to run a 5k this spring in under 40 minutes instead of an hour and 3 minutes like I did the first time. Running is like this journey we're all on, persistence and mindset are big factors. Stay at it and you WILL DO IT.
    TTYL
    Doug
  • spookytune
    spookytune Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Just a quick hello this morning. Lots to do today. Hope all is well with everyone. For those who are struggling hang in there. It will get better. Everyone has a a bad day just remember you CAN do it. Don't ever give up.

Friday Fitness:
    Tuesday: walk & cardio - DONE
    Wednesday: walk & cardio - DONE
    Thursday: walk & cardio - DONE
    Friday: walk & cardio - Will Be DONE
    Saturday: rest day (though ill probably squeeze in a walk since I'll only have a week until the race) - This has obviously changed now that I'm doing the M4MM 5K. Will do my best and just have fun with it like several of you suggested. They encourage people to come in costume, so I'm thinking of digging out my elf outfit. That will definitely add some fun :laugh:

Have a great day everyone!
  • dobarber
    dobarber Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Here's something for KT and everyone else having trouble. I read this everyday;

"It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.- Richard M DeVos "

Applies on so many levels.
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    Keeping busy. I feel more motivated everyday to get things done. Yesterday I starched and stretched the 39 snowflakes that I have been making for the Christmas tree. I've been accumulating them for awhile. Today I'm going to assemble some covered hangars that I'm making for friends for Christmas. I also have my last dr. appt. this afternoon.
    I'm going to have to get creative about exercise as it is raining today. I have a couple of DVDs and the school track is an option. I just need to commit to one of them.
    Have a good day. I love all of the motivation that I read here. We can do this. Kaye
  • kah68
    Options
    Here's something for KT and everyone else having trouble. I read this everyday;

"It is impossible to win the race unless you venture to run, impossible to win the victory unless you dare to battle.- Richard M DeVos "

Applies on so many levels.

Yes, it does. Thanks for sharing...
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    @Kah, Dobarber, and Ktaq - Running is my goal as well. My Tuesday/Thursday/Saturday walks are what I want to eventually turn into running. Still feel like I'd just be lumbering along though so I haven't tried ...yet. I'm thinking of the end of January I'll start C25K. As one of you said (which one escapes me at the moment) it looks like a great way to build stamina slowly. I was thinking I'd double each week and take it super slow. I'm in no hurry to get where I'm going, I just want to get there without hurting myself. I want to run the 5K(maybe even the 10K) at next year's Turkey Trot. I have ONE year to get there.

Thursday truth (since I'm late) - The Thanksgiving weight is gone. I SHOULD be able to hit 210 for Christmas but my 200 goal(by Christmas) is pretty much out the window.

Friday Fitness - I'm right on target with what I'm doing each day but my exercise calories are a bit lower than I'd like. I got rained out during my walk. I can handle the rain but it makes it get dark faster and I freak out if I'm out walking in the dark.

Sunday - Rest Day
    Monday: Walk/Strength/Yoga - DONE!
    Tuesday: Walk - DONE!
    Wednesday :Walk/Strength/Yoga - DONE!
    Thursday: Walk - DONE!
    Friday:Walk/Strength/Yoga
    Saturday: Walk
  • junerbooner
    junerbooner Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Good Friday Morning Everyone,
    I can't believe that Nov. is almost gone and Christmas is on us!!! Got to get moving in so many ways. Shopping for gifts, wrapping, decorating tree and house, preparing for the big Christmas dinner/s and lose weight, too!!!. Since Christmas falls during the week, I will probably have to have 2 dinners, one on the 25th and the other one during the weekend. And then there is New Years!! Oh, my poor "life style change" eating plans.:cry::sad: Enough to make a person :sad: :cry: : !! Oh well, one thing at a time.

I have just caught up on reading everyone's posts.

Dobarber: Love the quote. So fitting on so many levels!!

From the posts, I believe I see several teachers amongst us. I can really empthasis with the late night grading papers as I am a retire teacher. I don't miss that part of my job, only I do miss the teaching.:heart: I loved watching the "light bulb" switch on at times when you think you can't come up with one more way to teach that concept!!: Like mixed numbers with unlike demoninators!! :smokin:

To all who are struggling with "the blues", I know that too. I think holidays are bad for us :cry: :laugh: , the time change, :grumble: and especially the colder weather with less daylight:!! explode: I am like a chicken, I want to be home by dark, and I tend to eat heavier foods during the winter months. I am not that hungry, but it is a long time before bed. To keep my mind off of food, I get on my treadmill to workout. Otherwise, I will eat!!

I ordered Zumba off the Internet today and hope that will help me work on my core abs and do some strength training, too. I also ordered the 2.5 pound weights. Any Zumba people out there???? Would love to become a friend and share stories/successes/complaints, etc.

I wasn't able to check in yesterday, so here are my Thursday's truth and Friday's Fitness.

Thursday's truth:
    I am not getting to exercise as I want to. I need to strength train more than I do!! I think I'm making excuses: Not home, busy cleaning and doing laundry,Knees hurt, back aches, etc.. I must stop making excuses and get my butt moving again on a DAILY routine and do more strength training. Maybe Zumba will help me with that. My thinking right now is to do cardio on Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. Do strength training on Tuesday, Thursday, and Saturday. Rest on Sunday. Does this seem like a good plan to you guys? I would like some good feedback on this, if you have time. But until Zumba comes in the mail, I will stick with my incline treadmill and walking at the farm for exercise.

P.S.
    FYI: In case you are wondering why I put and/or in my plan below: My husband and I own a small farm 8 miles away from our town house. But I don't go out there everyday as my husband does. Some times I sub at school during the week or stay home to do housework, like today. So the farm is an option for me. I can get out there as a rule 3 to 5 times per week or more. I walk a lot and enjoy myself out there. However. my treadmill is always available to me at any time. There is no gym to go to in my small rural community.

Friday's Fitness:
    Monday: Treadmill and/or walking at the farm (hills, ditches, etc.).
    Tuesday:Treadmill and /or walking at the farm.
    Wednesday: Walking at the farm and/or treadmill.
    Thursday:Treadmill and/or walking at the farm.
    Friday: Treadmill and/or walking at the farm.
    Saturday: Walking( can't run yet-bad knees) at the farm and/or treadmill.
    Sunday: rest day

Enjoy your first day of Dec.everybody, and I will be back tomorrow hopefully with Saturday's goals. June
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    @Doug, nice to see you.
    @Toots~Sorry about your loss, safe travels to you.
    @Toots -- It's so hard to have a long drive to a funeral, isn't it? Hope the day goes alright and I'm sorry for your loss.

thanks to both of you. i do have some concerns since we're driving through colorado and utah and up into wyoming. i'm a little worried about snow.
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness: I ran last night for 40 minutes doing an interval program on the treadmill(1.5 mins @ 2.5mph then 30 secs @ 5mph). Didn't think I was going to make it the last 4 5mph sessions but I did it!. I was wiped out after the work out but felt awesome after realizing that I never lost my breath during the workout. I felt my energy going down 3/4 of the way through but I could still breath. Before starting I was remembering how horrible it was when I first started running. I would go for about 1 minute and feel like I was going to collapse. My chest hurt SO bad and I was gasping for air. Last night though it was like my body knew what to do and all I needed to do was concentrate on getting my arms and legs moving. I'm so glad I didn't need to start at day one with my running.
    TTYL
    Doug

wahoo!!! that is fabulous!!
  • karenleona
    karenleona Posts: 3,959 Member
    Options
    friday fitness- i think that was the workout i got a physio today!!
  • RobinsEgg
    RobinsEgg Posts: 3,702 Member
    Options
    toots - sorry for your loss. :heart: And so sorry you have to trek through 3 states to get to the funeral. I will be traveliing through Wyoming and Utah and Colorado over New Years and am worried about snow and blizzards too. I will keep you in my thoughts.

ktat (sorry I'm dropping the "q"- and giving you a shorter nickname) - if you drink water between cocktails at the bachelorette party you'll probably do alright - its being out of town itself that's hard, so try and go for the protein treats whenever possible and also, just have fun!

Angelika - always glad to "see" you, and glad you're working off the turkey pounds. Also good to hear the Vit. D is helping with your sleep! So essential!

DoBarber - thanks for describing your body's "runner's memory" - it is so encouraging to have you back in the thread again. So glad you are going to lose more weight although you have already done a terrific job!

Karen - well it sounds like physio kicked you hiney today!

All this talk of running just impresses the heck out of me, considering I am not a runner at all,but am only a casual stroller. I doubt I will ever be a runner, nor do I want to be. All things considered, not all of us have to be runners to be winners, right? We just have to have exercise of some form in our lives, and if walking is it, then so be it. Just keep trying to exercise in some form everyone!
  • janak2004
    janak2004 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Friday Fitness:

Today was a good day. My kids tested so that meant that I could catch up on grading and paperwork (journals for my SPED students on their daily activities regarding their IEP's) that I have been neglecting to complete. I managed to get most of it done and what I didn't is now sitting on the kitchen table waiting on me to start on it. I've got around 300 papers to grade this weekend. Oy... I think I'm going to get some house cleaning done, then cook some dinner, then run before I even THINK about tackling all that grading yet again.

My goal this weekend is to get my house cleaned up (major calorie burnage!), get my meals cooked for next week, which @Robin, is REALLY easy to do. My cooking day is typically Sunday and I set up my menu for the week and go ahead and get dinners set up so that I don't have to do any prep when I get home after work, and get all the laundry and grading finished, and bills paid. I better get started.

Tomorrow I am taking a Hunter's Safety Course with my friend Charla. She is NUTS for thinking that I'm EVER going hunting, but she didn't want to take the class alone and she pretty much peer-pressured me into going to it. I don't really mind, but the idea of being up before the sun on a Saturday morning does not thrill me in the least.

My exercise goals for the week are:

Monday- C25K Week 2 Run
    Tuesday- 3 mile walk outside/treadmill
    Wednesday- C25K Week 2 Run
    Thursday- C25K Week 2 Run
    Friday- 3 mile walk/treadmill
    Saturday- Off
    Sunday- Off

My Saturday date may change to some walking, but since it is typically the ONLY day my BF has off with this job of his, I'd enjoy spending it with him. This Saturday night we are going ice skating at the new ice rink in town! I can't wait! This should be so fun!

I hope everyone had a GREAT day! Keep drinking that water and setting those goals. If I don't pop in this weekend, know that I wish you all the best.

~ Jana
  • grandmakaye44
    grandmakaye44 Posts: 1,205 Member
    Options
    I saw my surgeon today. He says that I am 6 weeks ahead on my recovery. He was very impressed. Also commented on the weight that I have lost. :happy:
    I stopped at the grocery store and came out to dead battery. I walked over the middle school, got there just as school got out, and my daughter helped me jump it. A few months ago, I wouldn't have been able to walk over there, even though it was only a few blocks. Kaye
  • tootsanderson
    tootsanderson Posts: 1,636 Member
    Options
    toots - sorry for your loss. :heart: And so sorry you have to trek through 3 states to get to the funeral. I will be traveliing through Wyoming and Utah and Colorado over New Years and am worried about snow and blizzards too. I will keep you in my thoughts.

wow, we're just going to miss each other.
  • kah68
    Options
    @Robin~That's what its all about, finding a form of exercise you love to do and sticking with it! :smile:

@Kaye~Fantastic news!
  • Lauriek70
    Lauriek70 Posts: 2,087 Member
    Options
    The good news is that my thighs have stopped killing me and I was able to climb tonight even through I did take it somewhat easy. The bad news is that my arms are slightly sore but that is to be expected, since I used my arms to much tonight to pull myself up. I know better but sometimes it is necessary to move to the next step.

For those talking about the running-- I am impressed with your accomplishments. As for me, I run a little bit at a time as I am still attempting to build that ability. I spend most of the time working at the track so I will walk a lap 1/8 mile then run and repeat. Sometimes I stop and walk earlier it just depends on how my legs are feeling. I may one day become a runner but I am good with just attempting to run at this point. It is still not my favorite activity but it is a good way to start. You can always speed up your walking as well as you increase your endurance and ability.

Grading goals I will accomplish 2/3 this weekend but the science fair papers will wait until next week.
    70/90 science fair projects
    30/90 Who's the fastest papers
    0/90 cornell Notes papers

Exercise Goals

Sunday- Walk the track DONE
    Monday- Trainer weight trainer DONE
    Tuesday- Rest day DONE
    Wednesday-Gym DONE
    Thursday- Gym NO REST DAY
    Friday- Rock climbing DONE
    Saturday- Rest- Jingle Bell hayride will be outside most of the day. Lots of walking
  • monarchris
    monarchris Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    Good Friday evening to all. Had a great day, walked Belle, picked up in my living/dining room, went out to eat supper with family and a friend, went to Zona Rosa (an upscale, North Kansas City shopping area) where there was a pajama party for kids with stories by Mrs. Clause, Santa and live music and now home resting. My 5 yo granddaughter wasn't feeling very good but loved her ice cream cone and seeing all the babies. Going to put up my Christmas tree tomorrow with a neighbor girl who lives in my apartment bldg tomorrow, go to a support group and then church in the evening. I am going to try for 2 walks tomorrow, but it depends on how cold it is in the morning and how I'm feeling. Decided to make dr. appt. for my sinus/ear/head and will go on Monday. I have fought it all fall and it isn't getting any better. At least the diverticulitis is gone, no pumkin seeds for quite a while for me.

@Robin and toots, be careful on your western travels and to toots and hy. sorry for your losses.
    @Doug good to hear your back to the running, you are awesome.
    @jana, Skinny and all the other teachers, can't believe all those papers you and the other teachers have to grade:frown: You don't make enough to cover all your spare time you have to put in.
    @Kaye, congrats on your awesome recovery!
    @Laurie, I am impressed with all you do in addition to the teaching and grading papers!

To all those I missed, sorry, brain gave out, but I love you all and read all the posts. Take care and healthy living this weekend!

Christine