Giving up cheese

Options

Replies

• taem
    taem Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    Here is why I gave up cheese. I hope you have a few minutes to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bavqEcofOK0

It seems like (and I like how they left that part out) those are specialty cheeses you wouldnt find in most US stores.

Those studies are mostly US based, one was Canadian, our neighbors up north. All backed by studies published by reputable medical journals.

Eat what you like! You know my reasons, I don't want to eat cheese because the aroma and flavor is due to the mite poop!
  • Keto_Keith
    Options
    Sorry, wrong. I personally love cheese, but it is not healthy, so don't delude yourself into thinking that it is. Cheese is the most prevalent source of dairy fat and, therefore, the primary source of exposure to dioxin which even the EPA admits is the primary cause of Kant types of cancer (Charnley, et al. Human Exposure to Dioxins from Food. 1999 - 2002. Food Chem Toxicol. 2005. May; 43(5): 657-660.). Cheese is a powerful inducer of acid load, which increases calcium loss, so that blows away arguments for eating cheese to boost your intake of calcium. Cheese has 10 times more saturated fat as a chicken breast. Even low fat cheese is a very high fat food.

So, wait, you think fat is bad for you, I see where the disparity lies here.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Noooooo!! January IS coming! AHHHHH.

Also, cheese. Mmmm. I love cheese, especially blue cheese. I really do not see the harm in just.... you know... fitting it into your macros.

Absurd, I know.

Why what happens in January?
    Novice members that join and shout their new found daily knowledge from the top of the hill......
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options
    I am addicted to all food. I should stop eating.

Also, living past 55 greatly increases your chance of cancer.
  • ewells2420
    Options

Also, cheese. Mmmm. I love cheese, especially blue cheese. I really do not see the harm in just.... you know... fitting it into your macros.

Absurd, I know.

Novice members that join and shout their new found daily knowledge from the top of the hill......

Absurd, I know.
    New years resolutioners

Oh ok thanks, figured it had to be something like that. Never understood new years resolutions as no one ever keeps them.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    Here is why I gave up cheese. I hope you have a few minutes to watch the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bavqEcofOK0

It seems like (and I like how they left that part out) those are specialty cheeses you wouldnt find in most US stores.

Those studies are mostly US based, one was Canadian, our neighbors up north. All backed by studies published by reputable medical journals.

Eat what you like! You know my reasons, I don't want to eat cheese because the aroma and flavor is due to the mite poop!
    This is right up your alley........knowledge is power, this should load your gun and empty your stomach, just don't starve yourself.

http://www.insectsarefood.com/iaf.php?title=bugs-in-our-food-supply&more=1&c=1&tb=1&pb=1
  • katevarner
    katevarner Posts: 884 Member
    Options
    I gave up cheese for years and it didn't help me lose--in fact it was while I was putting on weight the last time. I have added it back in maintenance. Eat cheese almost every day. I've been maintaining for two months.

If you tend to overeat it, just make sure, like others have said, that you don't have enough around to do so. Use it as a treat if you must, but unless you have an issue with dairy or sodium, no reason to cut it out. And forget about the low-fat and fat-free because most of it has added stuff. The full fat versions are fine as long as you stay within your calorie and macro goals.
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    I will never be able to understand why people could deem a dairy product gross until people stop eating fungus and invertebrates.
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    Giving up cheese will be one of the best dietary decisions you have ever made. It does NOTHING positive for you, but it's physically addictive, fattening, cancer promoting, and causes constipation. There is no reason to ever eat it.

WTF?! I would've thought the reason people eat it is because they enjoy it and there is nothing at all wrong with it, in moderation. Like most things here, moderation.

My boyfriend used to take cheese sandwiches to work every day, and not just a little either. Like 8-10 slices of bread and imagine how much cheese goes into that.

1) He wasn't addicted to it - has started eating at work instead now, as he's less limited in what he eats this way. Doesn't particularly miss the cheese even though he likes it.
    2) He's not fat, quite the opposite in fact.
    3) Do you have any sources/links to the research that suggests it's cancer promoting?
    4) He was never constipated.

I'm not saying it's good to eat that amount. Variety and moderation is best so that you get all the vitamins and minerals you need for the day, but I'm making these points to say that cheese in itself is not bad. I have cheese regularly, probably a few times a week. I just don't have the whole block, I fit it into my daily calories/macros and I bloody well enjoy it!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options

Absurd, I know.

In january we will have an influx of New Years Resolutions.
    These folks will come on here spouting nonsensical things about weight loss and when it doesnt pan out....they drop from the site.
    Only the strong (smart) survive.

Also i'm curious if any of the cheese haters eat red meat?
    Anyone?
  • jetscreaminagain
    jetscreaminagain Posts: 1,130 Member
    Options
    Giving up cheese will be one of the best dietary decisions you have ever made. It does NOTHING positive for you, but it's physically addictive, fattening, cancer promoting, and causes constipation. There is no reason to ever eat it.

nonsense.
    Wow, what a very well articulated argument. Good point, i'll be sure to consider that.

Please don't allow yourself to believe the lie that cheese is good for you. If you want to eat cheese, eat all you want, but don't delude yourself into thinking it is good for human health.

it does not cause cancer

it is not physically addicting

ONLY a caloric surplus will make you fat...not cheese because it is cheese

it will not cause constipation if your diet is balanced with fiber

it has great protein and required fat

it tastes great

if not overly processed fake cheese, it IS a healthy food

I'd only add to this excellent post that humans have been making and eating cheese for hundreds if not thousands of years. I trust cheese to be healthy more than I'd trust Olestra or hydrogenated oils or shakeology.
  • Daysednconfused
    Daysednconfused Posts: 975 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Also i'm curious if any of the cheese haters eat red meat?
    Anyone?
    [/quote]

I am a cheese lover and a lover of red meat! Qualify?

With that said, I did switch to lower fat cheese, but exclude from my diet? Never in a million years!
  • shinkalork
    shinkalork Posts: 815 Member
    Options
    Two words - Mini Babybel! :smile:

yep

they even have cheddar now.
    low fat,low everything and still freakin' cheese.
  • dbkrantz
    dbkrantz Posts: 138
    Options
    Noooooo!

Cheese is like a staple. I am French and would rather give up anything but cheese!

Cheese is life. It's also calcium and protein!
  • Hannah645
    Hannah645 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    OP, I hope you can learn to have cheese in moderation one day!

If I listened to every post on this website about all the foods I shouldn't eat, there would be nothing left to eat. I pull out the scale when I'm about to eat cheese just to keep myself in check.
  • leomentlines
    leomentlines Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Cheese is an essential for me for protein.. Cabot 50 & 75% reduced fat cheeses have kept me chugging along. I'd only give them up if I decided to go full out vegan (which I have no current plans to)

If you want to give cheese up because you think it'll help your weight loss, go right ahead. But if you can limit your portions, I don't think you'll have to
  • lveh8lve
    lveh8lve Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I love cheese, I've moderated mine by putting in in a salad ( you would be surprised how far a tablespoon of blue cheese or gorgonzola can go in 4 cups of spinach) or making the awesome Quinoa mac and Cheese recipe I found on here. Since I am a cheese addict, I make sure if I have some, I put at minmum 4 times the amount of veggies with it.

I used to go food shopping and come home with literally cheese and some other stuff every time. I never knew how it all ended up in my cart.

And Im planning on going to a fondue restaurant when I hit my ultimate goal. Mmmmmmm cheesey goodness.....
  • mollyonamission
    mollyonamission Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I gave up all cows milk dairy products and as much as I miss them I'm glad I did it. Feel free to add me
  • jb_2011
    jb_2011 Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I've reduced my cheese intake drastically over the past 2 years and now have no problem being completely satisfied with a very small amount. I hope you're able to conquer your addiction, I know it's tough to do. Good luck!

Great subject, some real interesting replies, lol.
  • surfrgrl1
    surfrgrl1 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Ahhh dont give it all up, just have small amounts of the really good stuff.... you can do it!!!