Marathon Newbies Group week three!!!

Options

Replies

• chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys dont mind me posting in your thread, its interesting to read your experiences and tips. I have my first half marathon on May 30th and I started my training about two weeks ago.

Congrats on your run girls!! Sounds like you had an amazing experience!! It makes me excited for mine.:bigsmile:

I have a question if you dont mind, I started getting some pain in my left hip joint the last time I went out for my run. Could I have prevented this by stretching more before and after my runs?? or is there something else that I could have done? Yesturday was my rest day, and I do feel quite a bit better so I figured I would go for my next run today. Any tips or ideas?? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Jay-I've had issue with hip pain for a long time and of course when I first started running it was worse BUT when I warm up (typically 10 minute walk before I run) and stretch good after - including specific hip stretches (google) I am ok.

I am heading out this afternoon for my first post race run....short slow and sweet but I am so looking forward to it
  • Chenoachem
    Chenoachem Posts: 1,758 Member
    Options
    I hope you guys dont mind me posting in your thread, its interesting to read your experiences and tips. I have my first half marathon on May 30th and I started my training about two weeks ago.

Congrats on your run girls!! Sounds like you had an amazing experience!! It makes me excited for mine.:bigsmile:

I have a question if you dont mind, I started getting some pain in my left hip joint the last time I went out for my run. Could I have prevented this by stretching more before and after my runs?? or is there something else that I could have done? Yesturday was my rest day, and I do feel quite a bit better so I figured I would go for my next run today. Any tips or ideas?? Thanks!:flowerforyou:

Jay-I've had issue with hip pain for a long time and of course when I first started running it was worse BUT when I warm up (typically 10 minute walk before I run) and stretch good after - including specific hip stretches (google) I am ok.

I am heading out this afternoon for my first post race run....short slow and sweet but I am so looking forward to it

I also have hip pain. Our roads here are really bowed to help with flash flooding. So I make sure to run in different directions in my running loops to make sure 1 foot is not always higher than another. I also find doing yoga a few times a week helps alot too.

Good Luck with your running program. What have you decided to use for training?
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Today I did an easy 2 miles to integrate back into high altitude. Didn't feel to bad after being at lower elevation for 10 days. I hope to still get in 17 miles this week but the week is getting shorter and today was my first run of the week.
  • AmyDoesIt
    AmyDoesIt Posts: 46
    Options
    Morning Girls....

Welcome Jay- Good luck to you in your training!

Cheno- Sounds like a good plan to just enjoy running. I get so excited and jealous when I just see someone else running, like when I'm driving to work. I want to be out there with them right then. Am I crazy???

Chrissy- I hope you had a good run yesterday. My first will be today due to my schedule this week. Cheerio's 10K is only 15 mins. away and cheap! Greenville is a great town- that should be fun- I'll have to check into that. There are a few 1/2's here in ATL this fall- just not sure what I want to do yet. The Rock n Roll series looks fun and entertaining.

Happy Running today everyone!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Morning Girls....

Cheno- Sounds like a good plan to just enjoy running. I get so excited and jealous when I just see someone else running, like when I'm driving to work. I want to be out there with them right then. Am I crazy???

Chrissy- I hope you had a good run yesterday. My first will be today due to my schedule this week. Cheerio's 10K is only 15 mins. away and cheap! Greenville is a great town- that should be fun- I'll have to check into that. There are a few 1/2's here in ATL this fall- just not sure what I want to do yet. The Rock n Roll series looks fun and entertaining.

Good Morning.

Your not crazy. I do the same thing. I hope to get some more trail running in when the snow clears off the mountain.

Good Luck on your run today.
  • princesspurple
    Options
    It is funny that when you see someone running-you want to be doing that instead of driving/working etc.... It is a great addiction isn't it?
    Chenoachem-I LOVE the new picture. It is so cute w/ that little one walking w/ you!
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Whew, I'm glad I'm not the only one with this addiction! It is a good one to have :love:

Love to RUN!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    It is funny that when you see someone running-you want to be doing that instead of driving/working etc.... It is a great addiction isn't it?
    Chenoachem-I LOVE the new picture. It is so cute w/ that little one walking w/ you!

Thanks. She wants to run too. But she was my cheering squad for my race a couple weekends ago. It is nice to have.
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    Morning Girls....

I totally have the addiction as well. I NEVER liked running before and now that I am training for a half marathon and I feel like I have a purpose, I find myself wanted to be running all the time. Good addiction to have tho I think.:wink:
    I looked up some hip stretches on google like you suggested, and tried them out for my run yesturday. I had very little pain this time, I could feel it was still there tho. I'll keep working on it. Thanks!:flowerforyou:
    My training program that I am using, I just got off of a marathon training website. 12 week program, M,W,F are my rest days, T and Th are my small runs and Saturdays are my long runs, Sunday being a short easy recovery run as well. I have been increasing slowly per week. Seems to be going good and it doesnt look like I have been increasing too fast. I did 4 miles for my long run on Saturday so I am getting there. Just this darn snow that we got today makes me want to cry. booo.:ohwell:
    Good luck with you all and I'll be checkin in with you guys every once in awhile, if thats alright. Later!:bigsmile: :flowerforyou:
  • chrissyh
    Options
    We're all RUNNING JUNKIES!!!!!!! I see someone running and I'm totally jealous that I'm not out there! Crazy but true. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would want to run with no one chasing me!

Amy did you see your race pictures - there up on the site. I didn't remember your bib # to look at yours. I was 14430 if you want to peek.

Looking at the timer, it is 11 minutes past what my chip time was-that means it took us 11 minutes to GET TO the start line - that's alot of runners!
  • Jay_83
    Jay_83 Posts: 446
    Options
    Never in my wildest dreams did I think I would want to run with no one chasing me!
    :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
    I almost fell out of my chair laughing. and I'm at work. hahaha.
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    That was a pretty good one Chrissy! I felt the same way- I never thought I could run because I have boobs :embarassed:

There are some great photos of you. You even look like you are singing, having a great time! Mine not so good #17016.... and I totally missed the thing at the end infront of the sign. Oh well, I'll know next time.

I ran/walked w/incline on the treadmill for 4 miles this morning 6:00 am. I've decided I've got to get up and do my morning workouts again. Then the afternoon is for fun! I want to get serious and drop these last 10 lbs. I can't seem to get rid of!

Hi Cheno.... do you do much hiking? I think I saw something about you hiking. I've planned a small trip with my son (17) for his spring break. Total 15 miles w/pack. Just wondering if I can really do this. Any tips?
  • chrissyh
    Options
    Just can't seem to get into the groove this week - rested Monday, 3 miles Tues, rested Wed, hope to do strength tonight but my son is starting pitcher for his first middle school game tonight.....guess I could pull out P90X and do that after I get home from the game. Or just run the trail near the field and keep checking in .... that might work. Supposed to be rainy - actually today's weather is almost exact to what Amy and I ran in in Atlanta Sunday - sprinkles and overcast.

Tough working around the kids schedules...I think next week I will plan ahead and if there's a conflict, I'll work out in the mornings...I hate mornings!
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    Hi Cheno.... do you do much hiking? I think I saw something about you hiking. I've planned a small trip with my son (17) for his spring break. Total 15 miles w/pack. Just wondering if I can really do this. Any tips?

I love hiking. I have hiked in Vermont, New Hampshire, Utah, Colorado, Arizona and New Mexico. I have done backpacking in Colorado and Utah. Yes, you can do it but I just make sure not to set a time goal and find things to distract myself. Do you plan on doing a 1 day or is it overnight? Send me a message and I can give you some tips.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I agree with Chrissy. Try to workout around kids and husbands schedules are really tough. I love afternoon runs this time of year in the warm sun but I just don't get a chance very often. I have to stick with my mornings unless I can plan a week ahead of time for an after work run.

Today was a rest day for me then 5 miles tomorrow with Yoga. First time I have run more than 3 miles in a week, since getting back from vacation. Having some trouble getting back into stuff.
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Girls, I totally understand working around schedules, it gets to be crazy. Mine has totally been off this week. My goal for next week is to start back my morning workouts (treadmill or Jillian strength video) and then extra outside time during lunch and after work.

Cheno- Wow, sounds like you've been around some awesome places. We are planning 2 days at Amilicola Falls (start of the App trail here in GA). Hike in about 8 (pretty strenuous), camp and hike back the next day. I'm concerned about my back because I'm not used to carrying the extra weight. If you have any helpful tips please send them to me amy_wayco@qsp.com. I would really appreciate them coming from a woman!
  • chrissyh
    Options
    I HAVE TO RUN THIS AFTERNOON! I am going crazy!
  • AmyDoesIt
    Options
    Do you feel like a caged animal? Just need to break free! I understand...

Get out there and RUN, you will feel so much better.
  • Chenoachem
    Options
    I learned a hard lessen today. Do not go out and run 5 miles at 4am when you ate at Chucky E Cheese the night before. I feel gross. I went as a fundraiser for my daughters schools and kept it simple but the food is just not what I am used to. Lack of protein didn't help.
  • chrissyh
    Options
    :laugh:
    I learned a hard lessen today. Do not go out and run 5 miles at 4am when you ate at Chucky E Cheese the night before. I feel gross. I went as a fundraiser for my daughters schools and kept it simple but the food is just not what I am used to. Lack of protein didn't help.

Chuck E Cheese where a kid can be a kid and a parent can barf! :tongue: