Over 60, I am NOT willing to give UP! Anyone my age??

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,972 Member
    Options
    :bigsmile: I started weight training using a book called "Strong Women Stay Young".......There's a lot of information about how weight training improves your all over health. It has a program that can used by anyone at any age and any fitness level.
  • Frannie1927
    Options
    New to MFP. 58 here. I am short 5' 1 1/2". 147lbs. Trying to figure the ratio of macros and the calories.
    I just started using weights and hoping that will help tone muscles and move the scale in the other direction.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I love all the success pictures, it is so inspiring, I want one to be me!! I need to know I am not alone anyone over 60? It is so different trying to lose weight when you are over 50 or 60. I want to get where I want to be, not always on the journey to get there. Does that make sense? I really hope I am not alone.....anyone. :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :blushing:

This thread will eventually stop. It will after 500 posts. So, as the OP how about starting a group?
  • Cconney74
    Cconney74 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 74 and I am not giving up. I have found aging to be difficult to accept sometimes. When I go for my physical checkups the answer to any "ailment" is "you know that comes with age" or "you know you are up in age". I do not need a reminder. Well, I have decided that since I am this age and have no plans to "check out' soon, I must take better care of myself. I have lost 16 of the 35 pounds on my bucket list. I am learning to swim item # 2 on my bucket list. I bought an adult tricycle and love packing a lunch riding to the lakefront, (I never learned to ride a 2 wheel bike, not on my bucket list).I took a class in tai chi, that was great. I am looking for others who practice in my area. Chicago. I am enjoying my journey to better health, I have no major ailments and intend to keep it that way. I would love to hear from others of like interest.
  • gigigator
    Options
    I just turned 62, and just joined. Would love some supportive friends to motivate and keep me motivated! Looking at retirement in a few years, don't want to be so out of shape I can't enjoy myself. I have a LOT of weight to lose!
    Looking forward to hearing from others who are in the same boat.

Gigi
  • otrlynn
    otrlynn Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I turned 60 this summer and have been on a journey to lose some weight and build some muscle, and have been using MFP since July (well, actually I did join well over a year ago--but after losing a few pounds, stopped using the program and regained most of the lost weight). This time, I realized I really needed to make a lifestyle change--eat less, eat healthier, exercise more about sums it up. I have been walking 1.7 miles every morning before work and I intend to continue that until it gets too cold to get out there so early. I joined Planet Fitness and have been working out 2-3 days after work. I do about 30-35 minutes of cardio (elliptical trainer and stationary bike) and about 20 minutes of lifting using the Cybex resistance equipment. I believe that I am probably fitter than I was at 50. I tend by nature to be somewhat of a couch potato, but I realized that I needed to make a change if I wanted to lead a full life when I reach retirement.
  • crazylady50s
    Options
    i use leslie sansone workout to help me get my exercise
    did 3 mile fat burning this morning first time i have done it in over a year
    hope it gets me motivated
  • crazylady50s
    Options
    greatttttt keep it up
  • MarshainSC
    Options
    HI, I'm beginning this journey at age 63. It took me 25 years to put on these extra 65 lbs, so I know it's going to take time to get it off. My obstacles are that I really don't like exercising/walking, etc, don't eat fish at all, love sweet iced tea, don't like the taste of artificial sweeteners. I have severe acid reflux, so spicey foods are out. I'd love some ideas for tasty but low cal meals.
    THANKS!
  • grammacarol1943
    grammacarol1943 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I Just turned 69 about 2 weeks ago. I love having mfp. Wish I had found it 20 years ago. Started it around the end of July and have lost 15 lbs so far. Good luck to you.
  • Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    We are only getting better !! :bigsmile:
  • crazylady50s
    Options
    i am 66
    trying to get in better shape
    add me as a friend if you want
    the more the merrier
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I'm 64, here since August and have lost 15 lbs, 7 to go, and though the weight comes off slower than in my 40s (or younger), it *does* come off, if you just follow the process. I love MFP and- it's free.

I am confident that now I can maintain my new healthy weight, too, because logging is so easy. Welcome and best wishes! I'd say "good luck" but it's not luck- it's just making the decision and doing it.
  • KathleenC12
    KathleenC12 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    PS Feel free to add me as a friend if you want.
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm 66 - will be 67 in January and it is great to see so many" over 60" people here!
  • 63 here. I'm glad to see lots of folks around my age on MFP. I've lost some weight and although it's slower than I want, the biggest obstacle is making myself exercise. Somehow the end of the day arrives and I've conveniently forgotten to exercise.
    Losing weight and getting stronger is very different now than decades ago. There's a relearning curve. And I'm in a hurry. Long, slow journeys to health...nope, it's time for health NOW.
    I'd love to be in a group of 60+ somethings for mutual support and information!
  • 228lrt
    228lrt Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I celebrated the 19th anniversary of my 49th birthday this year and climbed my first 14,000 ft. mountain. This site is great!
  • freya33
    freya33 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    65 age is just a number it is state of mind that matters. I did a 5k Race for Life a on my 60th as my children thought I could not do it ( no respect for the elderly I fear!). In the goody bag at the end was a week gym pass so I rejoined the gym and have not looked back. I have done 5k, 10k and 10 miles runs. I discovered spinning classes RPM and have recently taken up Body Pump classes which I love.
    Recently retired and have more time for exercise and gardening. Just joined Fly the World challenge, this site is great as it keeps me motivated.
  • rkennedy54
    Options
    I am nearly 59 years old and have only the last few years started to put on weight. MFP really keeps me on track as I write down everything I eat and any exercise I do. I am inspired when I am below my allocated calorie intake for the day. Keeping fit at the gym and walkiing the dog allows for more flexibility and strength too. One is never to old to start. At my gym there are quite a few older ladies in their late sixties and seventies who keep active and look amazing. Just don't give up even if you go backwards sometimes. Just get on the "horse"after you fall off and keep going. :flowerforyou:
  • rkennedy54
    Options
    Good for you for joining up. I'm addicted to this site. Hang in there and you will see results and make some friends who can inspire you.
    Good Luck.