Replies

• LaColombicana
    LaColombicana Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping again, hope some new people get inspired by this to eat more!!
  • AnnaVee84
    AnnaVee84 Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    thanks so much for the info, just started NROLFW!!! :flowerforyou:
  • jchrisman717
    jchrisman717 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    So I figured my calories from a worksheet I got off of the NROL4W group and my nonworkout days to lose is only 1290 -- so not far from the 1200 that MFP gave me. My active workout calories is 1562 -- which if I count the execise calories and I was doing is where I have bascially been for about a year. So I'm hoping that starting to lift will help finally get this weight off! I've set my MFP goals to my nonwork out days and I will add in my workouts and eat back accordingly on my workout days. I've set my macros to the recommended amounts and will try to hit them every day. I'm not actually starting the workouts until next week as I am still sick and going to the dr. tomorrow and so hoping to be feeling better next week. Any help/tips is appreciated!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    So I figured my calories from a worksheet I got off of the NROL4W group and my nonworkout days to lose is only 1290 -- so not far from the 1200 that MFP gave me. My active workout calories is 1562 -- which if I count the execise calories and I was doing is where I have bascially been for about a year. So I'm hoping that starting to lift will help finally get this weight off! I've set my MFP goals to my nonwork out days and I will add in my workouts and eat back accordingly on my workout days. I've set my macros to the recommended amounts and will try to hit them every day. I'm not actually starting the workouts until next week as I am still sick and going to the dr. tomorrow and so hoping to be feeling better next week. Any help/tips is appreciated!

Yes, if you are over 35 and not in the lower BMI range, then this method puts you at a lower calorie count. You could try other methods to calculate your TDEE that might be more accurate, like Fat2Fit Radio counter. You could try just experimenting with your calorie counts. You've been at this level for almost a year you said so if you are seeing a long plateau then I'd recommend trying to up your calories by maybe 200 for a month and just see if it helps you lose. Sometimes it works! And all you have to lose really is 1 month but you have a lot you could gain! Plus lifting is really a calorie suck it needs calories to build muscles. Good luck!
  • charliehefferon
    charliehefferon Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    bump
  • megalin9
    megalin9 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I just started reading NROL4W. I haven't gotten to this part of the book yet, but I went ahead and did my calculations based on your OP. My number is 2219 on non-work-out days and 2515 on work-out days. If I take 300 from that since I still have a lot of weight to lose, that puts my numbers at 1918 and 2214 respectively.

Up until last week, I had been eating around 1710 and eating back most of my exercise calories. I haven't lost weight in weeks, and it's extremely frustrating. At the same time, I realize that I'm lifting A LOT more (3X/week vs 1X/week) and doing a lot less cardio (1-2X/week vs 3-4X/week), so while the scale may not be moving, I'm probably changing my body composition gradually. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

But what if the reason I haven't been losing has to do something with the fact that 1700 calories still isn't what I need to be eating? I've got to admit, it scares the buhjeezus out of me to think about upping my calories anywhere from 1900-2200. I've asked for advice from numerous knowledgeable people, and I've been told that a good target calorie range for me is 1700-1900 on both work-out and non-work-out days.

At this point, I really have no freakin' clue what I should be doing. I feel like I am eating a reasonable amount of food, and I'm lifting heavy weights 3X a week with some cardio mixed in. I'm in no way throwing in the towel, but I just want the daggon scale to go down! I know that shouldn't be the standard by which I measure my success, but when you're still considered obese and still have AT LEAST 40 pounds to lose, the scale has to at some point MOVE.
  • BakerRunnerBadass
    BakerRunnerBadass Posts: 1,359 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I seem to have stalled or been loosing very slowly, but my calories were very low and subsequently I feel very hungry all the time.
  • fittiephd
    Options
    I just started reading NROL4W. I haven't gotten to this part of the book yet, but I went ahead and did my calculations based on your OP. My number is 2219 on non-work-out days and 2515 on work-out days. If I take 300 from that since I still have a lot of weight to lose, that puts my numbers at 1918 and 2214 respectively.

Up until last week, I had been eating around 1710 and eating back most of my exercise calories. I haven't lost weight in weeks, and it's extremely frustrating. At the same time, I realize that I'm lifting A LOT more (3X/week vs 1X/week) and doing a lot less cardio (1-2X/week vs 3-4X/week), so while the scale may not be moving, I'm probably changing my body composition gradually. At least, that's what I'm telling myself.

But what if the reason I haven't been losing has to do something with the fact that 1700 calories still isn't what I need to be eating? I've got to admit, it scares the buhjeezus out of me to think about upping my calories anywhere from 1900-2200. I've asked for advice from numerous knowledgeable people, and I've been told that a good target calorie range for me is 1700-1900 on both work-out and non-work-out days.

At this point, I really have no freakin' clue what I should be doing. I feel like I am eating a reasonable amount of food, and I'm lifting heavy weights 3X a week with some cardio mixed in. I'm in no way throwing in the towel, but I just want the daggon scale to go down! I know that shouldn't be the standard by which I measure my success, but when you're still considered obese and still have AT LEAST 40 pounds to lose, the scale has to at some point MOVE.

I would expect the scale to not move if you've just started lifting, it's one of those things your body has to get used to. Also you should expect plateaus that can last for a few weeks and then you'll lose a bunch at once, it's just how the body works. Also if you only recently started eating more, that might be delaying the weight loss. The other thing is I highly recommend eating more, if you are a relatively active person it might be more of a deficit than you think and that might be stalling your weight loss. Really the only thing you have to lose by eating more for a month is.. well, weight lol. I'd say give it a try!!
  • fittiephd
    Options
    Thanks for the information, I seem to have stalled or been loosing very slowly, but my calories were very low and subsequently I feel very hungry all the time.

You really should never be literally hungry while losing weight. you may think youre hungry if it's a mental thing where you're used to eating all the time, but you should not be eating so little that you're actually hungry (unless you're like due for a meal etc). But yeah so I recommend eating more!!
  • rachietuk
    rachietuk Posts: 308 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I will be very interested to see how this works out.......my range is very similar to yours.....but man, to eat those many calories.....(I sound like a broken record) ........... I will do my best to bump mine up some....... but I am lifting 3 days a week and doing cardio the other 3, and taking one day off..... so.... really.......... 2000+ calories every day????????? Is anybody else having this big of a mental struggle with this?????????
  • CSueB
    CSueB Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    psssssss to my earlier post...... I am basically at my goal weight now and want to maintain.......and have skimmed the book rather than studied it thoroughly.....assume the recommendations are fine for maintenance, and only if you want to lose is when you drop 300 calories....... (shaking my head again) but also wondering how often some of you weigh in, because I do want to build muscle, and don't want to get too fixated on what the scale says.... much rather go by how my clothes fit........ ???
  • jmosborn32
    Options
    Hey, i know Alen Cosgrove is a fantastic author and has vast knowledge in training but weight loss really comes down to how much you want to lose and in how much time

1. Fat is not metabolically active. for a kilo of fat to sit on your body you burn about an extra 2 calories a day. if someone is 30 kilos over wight that equation would let that person eat huge amounts of calories, i'm a male at 6ft and i don't need to eat any more than 2000 cals and that's on working and training days.

2.your bmr is your bmr it wont change, you will have pretty much the same resting metabolic rate and the person who is the same sex and height as you. you metabolism is largly made of of your organs, bones and yea a little bit for muscle. but for you to function frm day to day just to stay alive...thats what you are actually eating for. if you eat less you will lose fat if you eat more you will gain

i highly recomend you and anyone trying to lose weight. find out your bmr and eat 500 cals less as a bar minimum. if you want to lose fat faster it a little less each day. You will not starve!

i highly recomend reading up on Eat stop Eat by brad Pilon

Your BMR is the basic amount your body needs to function. You should eat 3-500 less than your TDEE, not your BMR. If you eat less than your BMR then your body literally does not have enough calories to function. If you include your exercise AND your lifestyle activity in your BMR calculations, then yes, you can eat less than that because that is actually your TDEE NOT your BMR!!

Everyone can believe whatever they want, but I'm just sharing the math and also I'll share some links here to multiple other threads where everyone is showing that they have eaten more and lost weight. Our bodies need food to survive, there is no reason to starve them.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/536603-lost-7-lbs-since-last-thursday-by-eating-more
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/539980-people-who-have-had-success-by-upping-their-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/518533-major-sucess-with-higher-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541091-tossing-my-scale-out-the-window-pics
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/534457-before-and-after-pics-no-starvation
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/541385-terrified-to-increase-my-calories
    http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/540701-nsv-i-upped-my-calories-from-1200-to-1456-i-m-gonna-eat-m

Everyone needs to make their own decision, but please do research on the topic and read up until you understand it and decide what is best for you. That was my biggest regret, was taking MFP's suggestions at face value and assuming they knew what they were doing. You should always research something related to your health and wellness before doing it.

Good luck everyone! xox

All my calculations have me needing to eat below my BMR in order to lose weight. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. My BMR is 1708. My TDEE is 2050 (just starting MFP and will be getting an exercise program together) and if I cut my TDEE by 20%, I end up with 1640 recommended caloric intake. Is this safe even though I am eating below my BMR?
  • lindaw66
    lindaw66 Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    All my calculations have me needing to eat below my BMR in order to lose weight. I don't understand what I am doing wrong. My BMR is 1708. My TDEE is 2050 (just starting MFP and will be getting an exercise program together) and if I cut my TDEE by 20%, I end up with 1640 recommended caloric intake. Is this safe even though I am eating below my BMR?

So you aren't doing any exercise at all?

That is the only way adding 20% to BMR for Sedentary, and then subtracting 20% for deficit, makes you end up below BMR - you picked sedentary.

I'll mention this too even if you think you are sedentary because you have 40-50 hr desk job and do no exercise.
    Those with FitBit's and BodyMedia's on non-exercise days with desk job have reported they are at BMR * 1.35 or better, which is MFP's Lightly Active level, or slightly less than Scooby's Light Active level.

While true diet is the real fat/weight loss, exercise is good for over all health - you should really find a way to do some.
    Of course this whole thread is about lifting and rules for eating to maximize that and lose weight, so if no exercise, not sure why you would be posting here.
  • grangerkelly
    Options
    I apologize because I'm sure this is redundant, but I've been reading about BMR and TDEE and trying to calculate how many cals I should be eating on workout days and non workout days, and how to input the numbers into MFP... but I think I've ended up just confusing myself with so many references!

Can someone help me? I am 5'1, 27 year old female, about 106 lbs. I workout 3-5 times a week. I think my BMR is 1267, TDEE is 1964. If I want to build muscle, what should I be eating? How should I put it into MFP? I currently eat about 1000 cals a day (this is what livestrong used to tell me to eat...and now I'm realizing this is NOT enough.)

Using the formula above, I came up with 1528 on nonworkout days and 1756 on workout days. This is waaaaaay more than what I'm used to and I am pretty afraid to over-eat calories so I want to be sure I've done my calculations right. :\
  • DeanBurrows
    DeanBurrows Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    I apologize because I'm sure this is redundant, but I've been reading about BMR and TDEE and trying to calculate how many cals I should be eating on workout days and non workout days, and how to input the numbers into MFP... but I think I've ended up just confusing myself with so many references!

Can someone help me? I am 5'1, 27 year old female, about 106 lbs. I workout 3-5 times a week. I think my BMR is 1267, TDEE is 1964. If I want to build muscle, what should I be eating? How should I put it into MFP? I currently eat about 1000 cals a day (this is what livestrong used to tell me to eat...and now I'm realizing this is NOT enough.) But, I am pretty afraid to over-eat calories so I want to be sure I've done my calculations right. :\

Katch-McArdle formula below;

-For Women to calculate BMR = 655 + (9.6 x weight in kg) + (1.8 x height in cm) – (4.7 x age in years)

...For your weight, 1 kilogram = 2.2 pounds

...For your height, 1 inch = 2.54 cm

Example #2: You are a female, 35 years old, 5 feet 6 inches tall (170.69 cm), you weigh 132 pounds (60 kg). Your basal metabolic rate (BMR) will be 655 + 576 + 307.24 – 164.5 = 1373.74 calorie intake per day!

Once you know your BMR (basal metabolic rate) then use your daily activity factor to get your total daily energy expenditure (TDEE):

-Sedentary................BMR x 1.2 (little exercise)

-Lightly active...........BMR x 1.375 (light exercise)

-Moderately active.....BMR x 1.55 (moderate exercise)

-Very active.............BMR x 1.725 (hard exercise)

-Extremely active......BMR x 1.9 (hard exercise daily)

For example #2... if you are a moderately active female, your TDEE will be 1373.74 calories times your activity level of 1.55 which equals 2129.30 calories per day.

SO!

-For YOU to calculate BMR = 655 + (462) + (109) – (126) = 1100

Then work out your TDEE and eat 10-20% MORE than that in calories while still meeting your macro (nutrient) requirements daily to gain muscle.

Bear in mind this will increase your weight on a scale, but it will be muscle rather than BF%

Make sure you hit your Protein and Fats everyday and train hard :D

Feel free to add if you need help.
  • foleyshirley
    foleyshirley Posts: 1,043 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Can someone help me? I am 5'1, 27 year old female, about 106 lbs. I workout 3-5 times a week. I think my BMR is 1267, TDEE is 1964. If I want to build muscle, what should I be eating? How should I put it into MFP? I currently eat about 1000 cals a day (this is what livestrong used to tell me to eat...and now I'm realizing this is NOT enough.)

Using the formula above, I came up with 1528 on nonworkout days and 1756 on workout days. This is waaaaaay more than what I'm used to and I am pretty afraid to over-eat calories so I want to be sure I've done my calculations right. :\

You have.

It is waaay more than you are used to eating that you are aware of a number for.

What did you used to eat before that got you in to trouble and you weren't exercising?

Compare it to that. I think you actually may be underestimating too, thinking to play it safe.