Who gets a Christmas bonus???

Options

Replies

• nancycaregiver
    nancycaregiver Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I work for a public school. The superintendent and his staff put recipes on a page and staple it to my December check. Thats my christmas bonus! I do get sweet little gifts and snotty hugs from the most precious students in the world! Who needs a bonus.?!?!

My husband gets a ham and a $20 walmart gift card.

Edited to add party...all the teachers bring a potluck dish. There is enough food to feed an army! Good news is, there are always healthy options plus the one I bring. Then, the special Ed dept has a potluck another day.
  • TylerJ76
    TylerJ76 Posts: 4,375 Member
    Options
    Not me :(

SUCKS TO BE YOU!!!!
  • rjcelmer
    rjcelmer Posts: 431 Member
    Options
    I get to keep my job. I guess that's a bonus in today's world.
  • angievaughn
    angievaughn Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    I work for a great company.....we get a Christmas bonus that after about 5 years with the company your bonus is about the same as an extra paycheck...which is really nice!! We also have a nice Christmas party!! I am very thankful for everything in my life!! So this extra 30 pounds doesn't seem that bad after all!!
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    No, but around this time every year I do get a rash of emails asking me to donate money to my employer, which I find to be one of the more ridiculous requests ever. We don't have a holiday party in the group I'm in, although there is an "open house" for all employees, I never bother going though.

Edited to add, it is a small improvement over my last employer in this respect though. They closed down the week between Christmas and New Years in order to save costs (heating, lights, etc.), but required you to take your own accumulated leave time over that period. Happy Holidays!
  • gailmelanie
    gailmelanie Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I sometimes get a bonus, but I don't really consider it a bonus because it's usually a very insignificant amount, more like a token Christmas present. If my company gives a Christmas party, it's usually as cheap as they can get it. My husband's company gives management employees profit sharing (quarterly) which is dependent on the companies profit, which is completely variable. They used to give lavish Christmas parties before the economy tanked, and even though things are getting better for that company, they still haven't reinstituted them.
  • mandamommy3
    mandamommy3 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    I don't work (SAHM), but my SO gets a safety bonus each year. If no one has been hurt on the job that year it ends up being a decent amount. And they put together a little buffet for the employees. They also give out hams to all the employees and at Thanksgiving they give laundry baskets filled with a turkey and other things for a thanksgiving dinner. Although working for the company is a pain in itself, they try to make up for it at the end of the year I guess.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    Pff. I'm the only hourly worker at the office in which I'm employed, so I get squat.
  • perfectingpatti
    perfectingpatti Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    We have a really nice Christmas party and we all get a bonus. The bonus isn't from the school, but the parents of the students. Instead of the students buying individual gifts, all the parents mail in money for Christmas presents to the faculty. Then the money is distributed evenly among us. It's very nice. We have awesome parents.
  • racheljonel
    racheljonel Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    Yes! I work for a small but great company...we get very generous bonuses and a nice Christmas party that involves booze and an extra half a day off! Can't complain!
  • abettercheryl
    abettercheryl Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I work in a small office and my boss actually asks for a Christmas list from us. He will never tell us how much he has budgeted so we just make him a list of things that we would like in varying amounts. On one hand, it's really nice of him, but it's really awkward because we never know what to ask for.

In years past I've received a nice set of pots and pans, a wine and cheese basket, a Kindle, and a gift certificate to a nice restaurant.
  • LoraF83
    LoraF83 Posts: 15,694 Member
    Options
    Whats a bonus?

I was wondering this as well.....

I work for the government. There's no such thing here.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    How many of you get a Christmas bonus from their work? Do you have a nice company Christmas party? We used to get an awesome bonus but due to bad economy it's been drastically reduced these last few years and there's a rumor there may be none at all this year:sad: Sighhhhh.....I'm thankful to be employed though. So many families are hurting.

Wishing everyone the best of holidays:flowerforyou:

I got a bonus, but it was just a regular annual performance bonus that just happens to be paid out around Christmastime. No Christmas party though. At my old job we had lavish Christmas parties but no performance bonus at all. I will take the money and not be forced to hang out with my stupid coworkers after hours any more than I have to, thank you very much! (Clearly I just looove my job...)
  • tomdVT
    tomdVT Posts: 30
    Options
    I get to work Christmas, that's my "bonus" LOL. Otherwise, no.
  • inside_lap
    inside_lap Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    What's a bonus?!?
  • BAMFMeredith
    BAMFMeredith Posts: 2,829 Member
    Options
    We do, they give us a percentage of our annual salary plus x amount of dollars for every year we've been with the company. That 'x' fluctuates, depending on how business has been for the year. I'm fortunate to work in an industry that's able to thrive during a recession (our company has never had to lay off employees in the 50 years we've been in business), so I'm EXTREMELY grateful for the opportunity I have to work here. We do a big Christmas party for all the employees and their families, we have a Santa come for the kids, cookie decorating, a photo booth, food, drinks (we're a beer distributor so we do the whole drink ticket thing for a couple beers). It's always a blast, our marketing team does a really great job putting it all together.

I feel VERY blessed to work for such a great company that really cares about its employees and just is generally a great place to work. I'm even more blessed that I've found a career here and know I have tons of opportunity within this company for the rest of my life.
  • alvalaurie
    alvalaurie Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I work for the great state of Texas so no bonus that comes from the employer. However, the past couple years, my bosses pooled their monies together & give the admins a nice cash gift. This year I'm in a different department, so I doubt that will be happening (not that my boss isn't great, it's just there's only one of him where the other department had several upper mgmt).

Christmas party - again the other department had one (again NOT funded by the state, of course) & it was pretty awesome! Since we're in law enforcement, there's not much drinking (fine by me since I'm not a big drinker), but I had the joy of helping plan last years event & it was fun! TONS of food (potluck style), gifts & door prizes for everyone, Santa made a surprise appearance & gave all the kids a gift, we had a sing along with randomly selected participants doing the 12 days of Christmas, then everyone joined for Silent Night sung acapela. After that we had a DJ play music & we danced till we were exhausted! I've never had so much fun!
  • thatdude3
    Options
    We do 3% of annual salary for hourly and 6% for salaried plus a minimum of 3%(of annual salary) profit sharing on December 31st, which is deposited into each persons 401k accounts
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I work for a small family-owned company (not my family) and in the 6 years i've been here there has only been one where we didn't get a bonus because things were really slow. It's not guaranteed or expected by us, If they have extra money and want to then it's greatly appreciated but if not, well, we all still have great jobs and we get 2 awesome Christmas parties - one at a fancy restaurant with all of our spouses, and one at the office, a lunch time potluck with a secret Santa. I'm thankful to work here, it's the only work environment like this that i've ever been employed in and I feel incredibly lucky and grateful to not only have a job, but to have a job at a place that goes that extra mile. Previous to this I worked in retail, no bonus, no thank you, no nothing, so I understand where the other posters are coming from as well, it makes me all the more thankful now.

I've noticed reading through that those of us answering yes, for the most part, work at small companies.
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Options
    Im the only employee other than the cleaning guy, my boss gives me his credit card and i fill my gas tank, and also 2weeks paid vacation at xmas, so i guess thats a bonus :)