The Biggest Loser, the worst show on TV

Options
Acg67
Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
As I see all the whining and disgust at the VS Fashion Show tonight, I'm willing to bet a lot of those same posters love the Biggest Loser. Of the two, which is worse? One features those at the pinnacle of their profession, the other features a motley cast of people who lacked the will power and motivation to adhere to a simple diet and exercise program, but magically will work their *kitten* off now that there is a juicy cash prize and their 5 sec of fame of being on TV.

Here are two takes on the Biggest Loser, one is quite harsh and says exactly what the first link i'll post chastises the Biggest Loser for, but are their conclusions so much different? The show is terrible and they just find different reasons for it's terribleness

From the Center for Health Media & Policy, read the whole series

http://centerforhealthmediapolicy.com/tag/biggest-loser/
Weight is not a moral or character issue. It’s a health issue. But the Biggest Loser is relentless in characterizing contestants as initially weak, childlike, and even, in trainer Bob’s words, “broken” people.

Then, while never explaining to viewers exactly what program is being followed, making it impossible to replicate (isn’t that the opposite of “empowering?”), all credit is given to the trainers instead of the contestants.

Listen to the language in this voice-over during the finale:

“For ten seasons on the Biggest Loser, trainers Bob and Jillian have taken over 200 morbidly obese Americans and turned them into the epitome of health.”

This is the formula: in the course of each season, the trainers yell at and physically punish the contestants until they vomit and yell back and eventually cry.

That “breakthrough” allows the contestants to “find their inner warrior”, lose 100 – 200 pounds, and “become the person they always wanted to be.”

Viewers are left with nothing but breadcrumbs to trace how it happened. It seems to involve copious amounts of sponsored products Yoplait, Brita, Extra dessert-flavored gum, Subway, and Jennie-O ground turkey. And Ford vehicles.

And of course, who can ignore the messaging in the Biggest Loser Challenge Video game, endlessly promoted throughout the season?

A blonde woman, of medium weight, enters a gym. She sees intimidatingly thin and attractive women everywhere. So she leaves, saying, “Why does working out have to be so humiliating?” Then she goes home and works out to her Biggest Loser videogame instead. “This is more like it” she says.

Then trainer Bob weighs in, promising, “The new Biggest Loser Challenge will have you breaking right out of your shell.”

Working out in public is”humiliating?”

A gym full of attractive, fit people is intimidating, maybe. Why is it “humiliating? Presumably the narrative goes: it’s humiliating because our lady knows that she should look like them. She doesn’t. So she’s humiliated and is better off at home.

Thus, the fundamental unacceptability of the overweight person is the core of the brand of the Biggest Loser. She or he is a failure. Feeling too ashamed to enter a gym is normalized rather than challenged.

To take it a step further, the shame is evoked and then monetized. We have a product to help you with that.

The message is always that with the show’s help, change is possible. Otherwise, you’re just a tragedy.

The biggest irony is that proponents of the show champion its model of behavior modification over surgical intervention, but the Biggest Loser refuses to treat overeating as simply a behavior to be modified. It indulges in the constant characterization of the obese as pathetic human beings, deserving of pity and in need of intervention.

Think of Jillian’s comment about the makeover week fashion show. The contestants were not “sexy,” “glamorous,” “stylish,” or “hot.” Her take? They were “adorable.” Like children playing dress-up.

It could provide, for example, replicable meal plans and encouragement to working families trying to eat less processed, unhealthy foods in the real world of limited budgets, kids, and time constraints.

Instead, the show appears to guard its program explicitly so it can sell that information to viewers, through cookbooks, cruises, spas, videogames, supplements and hundreds of other products and platforms.

And please don't read the below from Jamie Lewis if you are easily offended. Edited a bit to clean it up a tad. Not saying I agree with the below, but it is an extreme take on the crappiness of the Biggest Loser and society
Why the **** are we sponsoring and supporting shows wherein subhumans bring themselves without shouting distance of the human form? Who the **** cares? We should put them on an island with no food and give the person who eats the rest of them a medal, then walk them off a cliff. It's a testament to our society that we champion these pathetic pieces of ****, rather than having tv shows wherein above-average athletes spent 8 weeks training their *kitten* off to compete in a variety of athletic endeavors- trying to make pro sports teams, competing in bodybuilding, etc. Shows wherein above average people attempt to become superhuman, rather than shows where our genetic dregs attempt to attain a human form. ******* pathetic.

In addition, the Biggest Loser gives their viewership totally unrealistic expectations for weightloss (I only lost 5lbs this week wtf, herp derp), anyone would lose a ton of weight undereating and exercising intensely for 6-8 hrs a day, so what the hell does that really teach people?

Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should.

In the end the show is just another crappy reality show, and should be viewed as such. It has no real world relevance and best to be avoided.

Replies

• Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    For the record, I agree completely!

Now I'll sit back with my big bag of popcorn and enjoy the inevitable social carnage! :drinker:
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    In addition, the Biggest Loser gives their viewership totally unrealistic expectations for weightloss (I only lost 5lbs this week wtf, herp derp), anyone would lose a ton of weight undereating and exercising intensely for 6-8 hrs a day, so what the hell does that really teach people?

:drinker:
  • celebrity328
    celebrity328 Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I dont watch the show anymore, I think it sets people up for failure and unrealistic expectations you could never do "In real Life."
  • Miss_Krissy87
    Miss_Krissy87 Posts: 214 Member
    Options
    Im excited for the VS fashion show i watch it every year!!;)
  • VelociMama
    VelociMama Posts: 3,119 Member
    Options
    Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should.

And that, dear sir, is why this post is awesome.

Biggest Loser is just sad beyond belief, and it just feeds into the ever-present notion that weight loss has to be a miserable 100% balls-to-the-wall-burning-2000-calories-per-workout-and-be-hungry-or-stay-fat-forever endeavor. The notions of patience, relearning a healthy relationship with food and the body, and building that new body from within are totally missing from that show. It is downright dangerous IMHO.

And, now that I've agreed with you, I'll post this nugget:

XRa82.gif
  • zaph0d
    zaph0d Posts: 1,172 Member
    Options
    Can't blame the producers for capitalizing on what people want to see. I was a friend's place once and Biggest Loser was on in the background. I was able to tolerate about 60 seconds worth before I couldn't take any more and had to go to the other room and wash the pain away with beer.
  • scottbrown78
    scottbrown78 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Never seen the show but I wouldn't miss this one for nothing...
  • anothermop
    anothermop Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I do not watch much tv but I just think it's amazing how much weight these people lose. Who cares why they're doing it or why they didn't do it before? Good for them for getting healthier and I hope they keep the weight off.
  • Bellren
    Options
    Some will say the show is so motivational, but what is motivational about someone who could not better themselves without dangling a huge cash prize in front of them, sequestering them in a remote location and having crappy trainers berate them while forcing them through exercise for 6-8 hrs a day? Why couldn't they find the motivation and will power to adhere to a diet and exercise program without all that? There are many stories here of people who did just that, those people should be commended and celebrated well before any Biggest Loser constant should..

Agreed.
  • NocturnalGirl
    Options
    Awesome post, agree with everything.

VS show all the way!! ;)
  • rebeccap13
    rebeccap13 Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    :D

I heart you, not only for dishing out a little ugly truth and tough love, but for providing me with this gem to read all night because I have no life.
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    UGH, this show - Jillian Michaels terrifies me, honestly. Also, it scares me that I used to lap up this show so much - I half wished that I were old enough to go on the show - thank God I had sensible parents.
  • morticiamom
    morticiamom Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Yes. OP, completely agree with you. The bit about disempowerment -- I couldn't have ranted it any better. As a nurse, that is what I find most harmful about the show.
  • Mellie289
    Mellie289 Posts: 1,191 Member
    Options
    I like it, but I take different things from it that others might. I see a bunch of people working out every week that are much heavier and in poorer health than I am and it makes me feel like I have no excuse not to exercise. The show also got me onto Jillian's videos, which are such are great find to me. I'm never going to join a gym. It's not me. I will do her videos at home and become stronger as I lose weight. I usually hear Jillian say things that are positive.

I don't care if someone else thinks this is the worst show on TV and I agree with several things in the Center for Health Media & Policy quote... but it's naive to not recognize that it's a TV show... produced by a business... that might want to make a profit. If the show was put together by PBS, then the gripe would be more justified. There are far worse reality shows on TV with absolutely no redeeming qualities, IMO.
  • lexibelk
    lexibelk Posts: 83 Member
    Options

And that, dear sir, is why this post is awesome.

Biggest Loser is just sad beyond belief, and it just feeds into the ever-present notion that weight loss has to be a miserable 100% balls-to-the-wall-burning-2000-calories-per-workout-and-be-hungry-or-stay-fat-forever endeavor. The notions of patience, relearning a healthy relationship with food and the body, and building that new body from within are totally missing from that show. It is downright dangerous IMHO.

And, now that I've agreed with you, I'll post this nugget:

XRa82.gif

Came for the biggest loser argument, left with this gem of a gif!!! :laugh:
  • awforrest
    Options
    I agree completely. The show is patently offensive on so many levels and I'm glad to see I'm not the only one who thinks the shows' "trainers" are just a couple of hacks.
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    I agree. I think the show is insane. The weight loss is unhealthy and unrealistic. I don't find it motivational at all. Additionally, although I don't know if it's true, I am under the impression that after the show ends, a large majority of the contestants regain the weight they lost. I'm not a big fan of the notion that you have to kill yourself to get thin....or of the notion that it would be worth it. I don't watch it and don't support any of the products it sells.

As for VS. I'm not watching it. I don't have any real heartburn about it. Love VS products but could care less about their models. Yes, they are beautiful. So what?
  • hausofnichele
    hausofnichele Posts: 531 Member
    Options
    Wow! I've never thought of it that way. What a hell of an argument. I watched the first few seasons but missed every one after that. I was planning on watching the new season when it starts. I own some of their products. Now after reading this I may not watch the new season. It's not like I didn't know that they were there for the money but their eating/exercise regimen doesn't exactly fit my personal philosophy. I just enjoy a good underdog story -- who doesn't like seeing someone change their life from obese to fit? Your point about celebrating everyone on MFP working toward their goals for no monetary gain is very powerful. I also agree with you on the idea of athletes being on tv to show their training processes. That would be great. Very interesting post, cheers :drinker:
  • many_splendored
    many_splendored Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    Note - MASSIVE TRIGGER WARNING FOR ABUSE, DEHUMANIZATION AND EATING DISORDERS - http://www.bodylovewellness.com/2010/06/09/kai-hibbard-biggest-loser-finalist-part-1-of-3/
  • stephilderton
    stephilderton Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I dont watch the show anymore, I think it sets people up for failure and unrealistic expectations you could never do "In real Life."

Precisely. But you might want to chill on the criticism for people who struggle. I'm sure there are areas of your life where you struggle, and I doubt that you'd want to be berated on a message board for it.