WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good evening beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`ve got just a bit of time before dinner so I`ll see how much I can do....

Carolyn:smile: "driver`s license weight":noway: , here in NC we don`t have our weight on our license...I`m sure if we did, I would have fibbed a bit about mine, or do they, heaven forbid make you stand on a scale:noway: ? Isn`t it great to be able to go outside in the fresh air in Dec. I`m loving every minute of it!!!

Katla49:smile: Hope DH is feeling better:flowerforyou: !!!! Prayers being sent your way!

Bj:smile: Congrats on hitting your first major goal!!! Beautiful profile pic!

Nancy:smile: Hope the computer is up and running soon. Sounds like your mornings are wonderful, think I could benefit from that too!

Lentigogirl:smile: 10 pounds too high:noway: , congrats on it being lower!!!

Kathy:smile: You have such a great attitude about things, I enjoy reading your posts!!!

Laura80111:smile: You are so sweet to hide those chocolates from hubby!!! How is his diet coming along? Have you "banked" any more calories for the holidays?

LinC:smile: No negative talk here! Everyone here is so encouraging and supportive, this is a great place to be!

Rebel:smile: Yay for getting rid of those 4 pounds!!!! Your profile pic is beautiful!!!

Lynn:smile: I have to say, i shed a few tears at your post:cry: , How wonderful of you to take such good care of your elderly horse:heart: ! Congrats on the 1.2 gone!!!!

Robin:smile: Been on the dreadmill lately?

M:smile: Sounds like you had a fun night last night! Sorry for being so confusing, it was about the calories confusing me:laugh: !

4Dogmom:smile: Yay for you going to ride the bike, and for getting in you water!!!

Have to go now and get my dinner finished! Will try to pop back in later and finish!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • mazaron
    mazaron Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I must get in a quick hello before I go busy...busy in the kitchen.

I am cooking (volunteered) for the staff Christmas party this Saturday. It's at my house, so what the heck. I can produce better food at $10 / person than we can get from a caterer or take-out place, and I enjoy doing it. Tonight I'm putting together "torta rustica" (layers of roasted vegetables, pesto and goat cheese between red & green tortillas). Tomorrow I will pre-bake the filling for the Moroccan chicken pie (think tagine wrapped in phyllo pastry) so I only have to heat things up on Saturday. Throw around a few platters of veggies and dip, salsa, pickles (gotta use up some of the stuff I bottled this summer), cheese and crackers (I must stay away from those), add a couple of big bowls of salad, and buy something sweet for those who want dessert.

Who needs a caterer?

I hope everyone had a great day.

If I'm lucky DH will get time to look at my computer tomorrow. We are running on reserve power now.

Have a relaxing evening and a great Wednesday.

Hasta pronto,

Nancy
  • djhobs
    djhobs Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I was internet-less since Sunday night and the pages of posts exploded!:flowerforyou:
    barbie - thanks for the reminder about nutrition dense foods...I sometimes repeat that phrasing to myself when I want to eat stuff I shouldn't even have in the house...also like the "1200 calories of nutrition before frills"...could be my new mantra...thank you:bigsmile:

Nancy - you also have a wonderful way with words..Advent is a new beginning that I will try to take to heart...sounds like you have the party well in hand..have fun

That is all I can remember after reading 4 pages!! DH thought I was in withdrawal from no fb...I was in withdrawal from my 50+ ladies...so happy to be back!:laugh:

Biked and rowed yesterday....was supposed to use kettlebells this am but was too tired and stayed in bed...tomorrow will probably be bike and row again because we have a meet and greet with the new company/office...so far (of course only day4) doing ok with limiting night time carbs. Don't seem to miss it with dinner...I was a bit of cookie monster at book club last night but am starting with fresh attitude every am!

Have a good night...hugs and high fives!
    :heart:
    Jen
  • walker54
    walker54 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    @ Brenda -- Welcome!
    You are taking an important step by checking in with this thread. Check in as often as you can for inspiration and support as you figure out how to be successful with your goals.

I'm a fellow chocolate and ice cream lover so I understand your temptations. Any plan that eliminates these two important food groups from my diet is doomed to failure. I find that if I allow myself a little bit of these when I crave them, I'm happier and more successful. I usually eat a little bit of dark chocolate almost every day. I buy small bars of dark chocolate, or the squares of Ghiardelli (sp?) since I struggle with portion control by myself. For ice cream, I buy Klondike bars (100 calories size), generic ice cream bars (also 100 calories), or sherbet.

The more mindful I am about the quality of the food I am eating (good sources of protein, fresh vegetables and fruits), the less I crave the empty calories and can be satisfied with a few bites of chocolate. Works for me...:happy:

Hope you will share your successes and questions with us,

Polly
  • c0c0nn0r
    Options
    Busy tonight but wanted to check in...

Carolyn - love the drivers license weight! So funny - My license has the weight I'd like to be on it.

DeeDee - LOL - I'd have to stop driving if I had to stand on a scale at DMV

Katla - praying DH gets better soon and you can travel

Brenda - if you love ice cream and chocolate what about having a fudgsicle? (40 calories)

Nancy - you sound like a fantastic cook...have a great party!

Barbie - thanks for the reminder about healthy eating - I was starting to fall into
    a trap of eating the 100 calorie snack packs just to get my calorie total up.

Goodnight everyone - have a great Wednesday

Colleen
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Good morning all. I posted this question on the fitness board, but so far no replies. Perhaps some of you ladies who have been doing aerobics longer can give me some idea of a safe heart rate during aerobics?

I am 52 years old and have been sedentary for several years. I have been exercising at home with weights and restance tubes for several months, no aerobics. I am on day 7, level 1 of the 30 Day Shred. I am okay with everything in the video except I have to pause during the aerobics, specifically during the jumping jacks. Not everytime, usually the 3rd or 4th set. I bought a heart rate monitor yesterday and discovered that I give out when my heart rate reaches 150 BPM. Some sites say that is too high for my age, others say it is still in the okay region. I take an aspirine about 15 minutes before starting. I am a healthy in all aspects, just out of shape. Any thoughts?

Thanks.

If it hurts, back off until you breathe faster but don't hurt. You may need to work up to it gradually. If you're worried, call your doctor.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    All is looking good in here was here early early this morning. Is anyone in here on a no wheat diet. Apparently you can lose a lot of belly fat doing this. I think I might give it a try. But need to find alternatives in what to eat. Not to many cereals with no wheat other than oatmeal and cornflakes.

That was the talk at coffee this morning. So I might look into it. Take it one day at a time.

Keep doing what your doing still no negative talk in here so all is good.

Linda

My husband is on a no wheat diet because he's gluten intolerant. The alternatives are almost always higher calorie, but he feels so much better and it is worth it. It doesn't sound like you have allergy issues, and I think you can get along well. I eat wheat sometimes, but not as often due to my husband. Eliminating wheat isn't a magic fix. It is still about calories in and calories out. Many of us feel better on a higher protein diet, including me, and on diets that minimize things that make us feel bad. I wish you well and hope you'll let us know how you're doing.
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Back to see if I can finish....

Annie:smile: Welcome to the group! We are a chatty bunch:laugh: ! Congrats on getting rid of 1.5 pounds!!!!

Jeannie:smile: Good to see you back:flowerforyou: !

JaneMartin:smile: I know you had a good day being with Violet:love: !

Meg:smile: Kids...eventually they will grow up and apologize for all they put you through...I have to say I like it when my daughter says "mom, I'm really sorry for being such a brat"! I wonder, since you lowered your calories goal if your mind is feeling deprived and trying to make up for the loss of calories and that's why you're going over....hmmmm....that really didn't make much sense did it? Sorry I'm a bit tired tonight:blushing: :yawn: !

Brenda:smile: Welcome to the group! Make sure you log your food everyday, every bite you eat, drink plenty of water, and move more, even if it's just a short walk. Keep coming back to this thread and we'll cheer you on!

Nancy:smile: Sure wish I had someone to cook those delish dishes for me:love: , I am so not a cook:sad: , even when I try it's always hit or miss. When we used to have parties we always had them catered:blushing: .

Jen:smile: A fresh attitude every morning, I love that, I just may have to borrow it sometime!

Polly:smile: I'm usually satisfied with just a bite or two of something sweet too, sometimes even hot tea will do it for me.

Colleen:smile: Like you if they made me get on a scale to get my license I wouldn't be driving either!!!

Okay...I think I am caught up! I'm really tired again tonight:yawn: ! My afternoon plans of being outside got squashed, one of my security cameras decided to stop working and I had the tech guys here all afternoon:angry: . At least it's working again, but tomorrow it's supposed to be a bit rainy and cooler:ohwell: , this coming weekend is supposed to be nice, not as warm, but still in the 60's!!!! I'm thinking I need to go to Flordia in the winter!

Have a great night everyone! Sleep well and sweet dreams! Until tomorrow....

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    There are a number of variations for the Thin Mints cookies, but I have always just made the original:

http://www.kraftrecipes.com/recipes/mint-thins-107762.aspx

They are so good! I keep them in a tin in the refrigerator or freezer. My family loves them, but apparently I love them more so it is best not to have too many around.

Gail
  • Nacho12
    Nacho12 Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I would like to join the club. I have belonged to MFP since 2007 but didn't seriously track my food for any length of time until
    four months ago. I am 63 years old, have exercized regularly for over 15 years. My highest weight was 180 when I was in my
    50s. I was about 55 when I went on a diet and got down to 150. I had slowly moved up to 165 recently and decided I didn't
    want to gain anymore so I have been trying to eat between 1200 and 1400 everyday. I also worked out with a personal
    trainer 3 days a week until about a week ago and kept up all my other workouts. My goal for December is to lose 5 pounds.
    I am currently at 150. I plan to continue all my workouts and keep tracking on MFP so that I (hopefully) can reach my goals.
    Kathy
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,986 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Here is the update on the story of the coyotes, the poodles, and the horses…….It appears that two of the three coyotes are not coming around any more. There is speculation that they may have been trapped on someone else’s property. I prefer to not think about what their fate might have been. The house sitters built an upper extension on the fence to keep the dogs from jumping over into the horse area where the coyotes were hanging around. The horses are restricted to the barn except during bright daylight hours and the poodles now have harnesses that are designed to prevent jumping so even if they can find a fence to jump over, they won’t be able to jump.

:bigsmile: Today I roasted a duck. Jake decided that he wanted to roast a duck to see how it tasted and decide if we would have a way to fix duck in case he went duck hunting and caught something. He found me a great recipe with photographs and explanation for every step of the process which allows the fat to drain out while roasting and results in a duck with tender meat and very crispy skin. The 5 ½ pound duck took longer to roast than the 18 pound turkey I roasted in November. The duck had to be poked (to let out the fat) and turned every hour for four hours. It was tasty and Jake wants to make it again some time but if I lived alone, I’d never make it again. He helped a lot. I went out to a meeting in the middle of the process and he did two of the turnings and after dinner washed all the dishes.

:flowerforyou: The recumbent bike is Crescendo Fitness model 80210 from Lion Sports Inc. We liked the feel of the bike but won’t know until the replacement bike comes and we use it for a long time whether it is the ideal bike.

:flowerforyou: A comment about drinking water……you don’t have to like it to do it.

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

Resolutions for December
    • Have a strategy for each holiday food event
    • Weight training three times a week
    • Act the way I want to feel
    • Don’t expect praise or recognition
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    Huge blow up here at home over DD#2 again. I am at my wit's end and so frustrated and angry I am not sure what I am going to do, but I do know this can't continue. Send good vibes my way please. Meg
  • linder4866
    linder4866 Posts: 11,179 Member
    Options
    Huge blow up here at home over DD#2 again. I am at my wit's end and so frustrated and angry I am not sure what I am going to do, but I do know this can't continue. Send good vibes my way please. Meg

VIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBESVIBES---All good ones my dear!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

sorry to hear. Keep thinking good and positive thoughts. Mine going your way!
  • suebdew
    suebdew Posts: 1,330 Member
    Options
    It took me a long time to catch up but it is so much fun to see what everyone is doing. Played golf today then went to a party tonight. Had a hard time trying to log food because it was a lot of bits and pieces of things. Just added quick calories and let it go.
    Barbie - love the saying, you don't have to like it just do it. So true. Some people measure out the amount of water they need for the day and then just do it.
    Brenda- think of this as a journey for your health. Take it a day at a time. It's not a sprint so don't get in too big of a hurry. You'll learn so much about yourself and what foods are good for you. You Can Do This.
    There are so many good comments but I'm so tired. BBT
  • Sasha4427
    Sasha4427 Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Meg, good thoughts and positive actions only.......
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    hen - welcome, glad you came I find that airpopped popcorn (sans butter, etc) makes me want to drink, if that helps

Lila - great NSV! I don't think I've ever passed a mirror and not recognized myself!

Did an hour of a bosu DVD today, then went to one food store to get fresh veggies to take to Mexican Train tonight then had to stop at WalMart. The other day I forgot to take the battery with me so that I'd know what size I needed, so I bought the battery for these holiday earrings that I have, they light up. I wore them to the TSO concert, but one of the batteries was dead so I didn't want to light them up. Just turned them enough so that the lights wouldn't work. Tomorrow yoga and then deep water. Oh, after buying the batteries I stopped for gas (since I forgot to do it yesterday), then went to PetSmart since the cats are out of their dry food, only the pet store doesn't open until 9 so I came home. Bryan said he was going to call, not sure when. At least we know that he won't call after 3 our time.

Amanda - glad you had such a good time, but sorry to hear about your injury. Hope it heals real soon.

DeeDee - those presents needing wrapping are calling me, but it's too nice out to be in the house wrapping. What to do? What to do?

carolyn - its really hard when classes don't fit your work schedule. I hate when they're held at a time when I can't make it, but that's life. Let's hope the zumba classes work for you.

katla - oh no, hope dh isn't in bad shape for two days!

Laura - here to renew your license you have to take an eye test and a test to be sure you can tell which sign is which. I've seen people who had a license that I have no idea how they got it. I remember once I was in a parking lot, this guy was parking in a handicapped spot (which are larger) and his wife was directing him! So glad your hubby likes his new job, that's so important.

Rebel - what are you eating for your protein? I really want to up my protein, but I really don't like having those protein bars (so many of them are nothing more than glorified candy bars, so much sugar and artificial stuff)

Went to Mexican Train dominoes tonight. Why do people bring all this yukky food? Someone brought fried chicken, someone else brought these meatballs (store bought) that they put a jam and barbecue sauce on. I brought some spinach crab dip that I made and a veggie tray. Had some of the dip along with carrots, broccoli, cauliflower and tomatoes. Also brought a fudge cake that Vince likes since it'll be his birthday Friday and the birthday of one of the gals who runs it on Monday. Gave her a piece to take home and froze the rest for another day for Vince. He has to finish the brownies that I have in the freezer first. Actually, I may take some of this cake to mahjongg next Monday. Anything to get it out of my freezer....lol I had some of the dip leftover so I'm freezing that and will see how it is for Christmas eve. I'm the only one who'll eat it, anyway.

Lynn - congrats on the weight loss!

I would take a gift to the Newcomers holiday party, but honestly, I really don't want to bring home something. Last time I took something I wound up getting a regifted gift. It had been opened and all. Plus,...it wasn't something that I even cared about...I wound up donating it to the Salvation Army. I had no use for it.

M - you're not the only one who the carbs creep in easily. I can so easily fall into the trap of wanting carbs and I know that they won't fill me for very long. I usually have a 24oz water bottle in the bathroom that I drink while I'm getting dressed. And depending on what I'm going to be doing, I may have a piece of fruit. Like if I'm working out at home, I'll have some fruit just to get carbs in me. Now tomorrow I'll have steel cut oats with some cottage cheese in them since I'll go to yoga and then deep water.

Annie - WTG on the loss!

Meg - even when you don't miss a day here, it's still hard to catch up! Kids!!!!! Can you believe when we moved to this house, I swear the oven was never used! Sending good vibes your way.

Brenda, Kathy and anyone else I may have missed - welcome!

Jen - we're happy to have you back!

You know, I've found that *I* may be very used to decent food and actually get ill from food that isn't decent, but the majority of people bring you foods that aren't decent. Yuk! It's embarassing in a sense to bring something to a pot luck and your own food is the only food that you'll eat, but so many times that's happened to me.

We have senior bowling tomorrow and then tomorrow night Newcomers bowling. Vince thinks he may have broken his toe, he says it's really sore, but he doesn't have any idea how he did it. If it were me, I'd go to an orthopaedist but he feels he wants to go to the regular MD first, they'll just order an x-ray and then probably refer him to an orthopaediest. I know when I broke the bone in my foot, I went straight to an orthopaediest.

Better get to beddybye.

Hope everyone had a great day.

Michele
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I inadvertantly clicked into the last November thread and saw the below new post from Geri sharing wonderful news! // Gail

Hello ladies what a topsy turvy couple of weeks I've had since I came back to join you again but......

MY FIRST GRANDCHILD WAS BORN THIS MORNING!!!!

Please welcome Ethan Noah to the world. He was born as 04.17 this morning weighing 6lb 12oz. Mum & babe doing well. My son is beside himself with joy.

I've only seen photos so far (hospital is very strict about visiting) but he is gorgeous. I will be able to meet him at 6.30 tonight. This day is going to be so long!!

Geri
  • DeeDee2211
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

Gail:smile: Good thing I don`t bake, those thin mint cookies sound so good!

Nacho12-Kathy:smile: Welcome to the group!!! Come in often and chat with us!

Barbie:smile: I just laughed:laugh: at the duck having to be poked to let the fat out (ick), and then turned every hour:noway: ...you can tell I`m not a cook! Sounds like too much time in the kitchen for me! I love your comment about drinking water, I`m grateful that I like water and it`s my choice of drink!

Meg:smile: Sending good vibes to you this morning!!!

Suebdew:smile: Sounds like a fun day, golf and then a party! Good for getting the quick calories logged!!!

Michele:smile: Earrings that light up:bigsmile: , I had a ghost necklace that lit up for Halloween, it was fun!!! Whenever I had to bring something to a potluck it was always a big salad, that I know I can do well:laugh: ! Hope hubbys toe gets to feeling better:flowerforyou: ! Right now on the news they`re making lemon scones....oh they sound so good (look good too), and reminded me of you and all the baking you like to do!

Well I have a Dr. appt. this morning, seems I was supposed to have gone in in Oct. for my thyroid and Vit.D test, and I just didn`t find time to do it:blushing: , so now I have to go:sad: . I hate going to the Dr. office if I`m not sick especially this time of the year, when the office is usually full of sick people:sick: . I`ll have to hold my breath the whole time I`m in there!!!

Have a great day ladies!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • texasgal22
    texasgal22 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    ♫ Morning has broken, like the first morning Blackbird has spoken, like the first bird Praise for the singing, praise for the morning Praise for the springing fresh from the word ♫ Hope you have a song in your heart all day!