WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• vickim26
    vickim26 Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    Good Morning ladies,
    I know I said I would post and I haven't. Please accept my apology. Things have been crazy but no excuse. I am just not in the habit again yet. I started this on 10 weeks ago and have lost 32 pounds thus far. It is the Eat to Live Diet and it is a great lifestyle for me. All the fruits and veggies I can eat. Lots of beans and water water water. I feel great, I am losing and guess what. I weigh myself each and every morning. for those of you who do not know me the weighing in is a biggie. I hate the scale and usually only weigh weekly and sometimes longer. That is how I let this get so out of hand. I got through Thanksgiving and ate a little cornbread dressing to treat myself and the rest fruits and veggies.
    I am keeping very busy with the family, especially the grandkids. We are going to Disney for Christmas this year and am getting ready for that. The whole family 20 in all are going to spend Christmas with the mouse.
    I also have a new houseguest. My mother in law since our recent storm as not returned to her home. She is pretty healthy. She walks with a walker but does most things on her own. She is going to spend 2 weeks here and 2 weeks at her other 2 sons houses. Her 4th son is not albe to take her at this time. We are trying to work something out more permanent but for now this works. I have had her 1 full day so 13 to go. She is company for me but does cramp my style but I would'nt have it any other way. I remember a lot of you posting of caring for elderly parents and now I know a little of what you were going through. I am not promising but I will try to post more often. thanks Barbie for not giving up on me. Have a great Sunday.
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies,

Time to review the old goals and make new ones for December....

November goals-

Exercise four times a week-Either Jazzercise or home DVD’s- Yes this goal was met!! I need structured exercise
    Yoga once a week- No the yoga class at work fell through
    Daily logging-Yes I was able to do this even while on the road thanks to my phone
    8 glasses of water per day- No I get close but not to 8 every day
    Thanksgiving holiday moderation- will be out of town so need to watch portions- Yes I broke through my plateau and lost weight
    Find happiness in something every day-Yes but I still need to do this
    Be thankful for what I have and give back to others- Yes and I encourage others to try RAOK

Soooo December....

Continue structured exercise four times a week(No more Jazzercise- story for another day)
    Find a yoga class or a drop in class to try
    Continue daily logging
    8 glasses of water per day
    Maintain my weight for the month
    Continue to pay it forward even in small ways

Welcome to all the newbies!! Hope all my MFP friends find peace and happiness in their life journey....:love:

Carolyn:heart:
  • letty60
    Options
    Hello all, so happy I found this site and this board. I joined MFP last year, but didn't stick to it and didn't realize there was a support site. Now I started back 3 weeks ago and doing great, even survived a baby shower yesterday with all the treats!

I do have question, hope someone can help.. Using an iPad, and unable to add pics, or figure out how to add those cute banners with the weight loss goals.

I am over 50 like all of you,got a recent shock when tried to get into winter clothes and nothing fit! Finally got on scale and saw 180 for the first time,whew! so at 5'6" I really want to be back where I was 12years ago, 135 lbs. However, That's probably not realistic and would be happy with 145. I calculate, will take me 35 weeks to reach goal,am currently ending week 3 on target. I love your Month at a Time tactics.

So... My goals for Dec:
    MFP log daily, stay in 1200 net calorie avg for week
    Continue Zumba 3x week
    Walk/ cycle 2x week
    Weight train 2x week
    lose 1 lb week average- or at least not gain!
  • mwheatcraft54
    mwheatcraft54 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    Yesterday I had a long, rather preachy post all typed out, and the MFP gods deemed it too much :smile:. Today, I'll try for short and sweet :laugh:.

I didn't ever write out goals for November - my October goals seemed to be working for me so I stuck with them. Having said that, I lost four pounds over the month by logging my food and drinking water. However, I really didn't do as well as I should have at drinking water, so I'm putting that back into my goals for this month. I also traveled a lot during the month, which made eating right a little trickier but I managed quite well! I took advantage of the natural area to be sure to get some exercise in: hiked the buttes in AZ, walked the concourses at the airport (for miles!), skied down mountains and hiked around town in CO.

December goals:

Drink water!
    Plan my calories around special events.
    Exercise at least 60 minutes every day.
    Be pleasant and relaxed.
    Live in the moment.

About the last three goals: I'm finishing up my second round of P90X in two weeks, and I'm not planning on starting a new program until after the new year. In many ways that will make my holiday and work schedule less stressful, but it doesn't mean I won't work out - it just means I can make my workout fit my schedule and not the other way around. There are days right now where I stress too long about making sure I fit in a workout, especially if I didn't do it first thing. I realize if I don't make it work it's not going to kill me, but it's disappointing, and that's stressful in its own way. I LOVE working out, and I love more what it's doing for my body and helping me reach my goals. It's just not always the most convenient thing.

Anyway, I'm going to take the final two weeks of the month to get out and enjoy the neighborhood, walk around the local gardens with their pretty lights, ski with my daughter, run up and down hills with my granddaughter (who will be meeting snow for the very first time in her short little life), treat my nieces to some time with their Auntie, some shopping, and some skiing, and maybe even do a little gambling with DH.

What you don't see on this list? I won't be celebrating the season with food, food, food. If I've learned anything this year it's that food is fuel for my body. It's meant to provide certain nutrients and calories to spend on the activities I love to do: walk, run, work out, garden, paint, housework, etc. I still love to cook, and I love to try out new recipes and tastes and I LIVE for the cooking magazines with their suite of "traditional" cookie recipes. I also love the joy on little faces when they bite into something tasty.

I want my joy this season to come from being here, being healthy and grateful for all our blessings and bounty and the joy I can share. On the vanity front, some of my joy will come from being in pictures and not wanting to hide them later :laugh:. I'll be sure I'm drinking in all the friendship and family I have. As I take in all that life has blessed me with, I want to make sure I'm not 'celebrating' with food but rather with people. But if I choose to have a cookie, I know that I've accounted for the calories in my daily intake. I won't have a dozen - there's not room in my tummy or my daily fuel needs for that. I want to be here to enjoy my life for years and years to come - so what I want most must equal what I want at the moment too (thanks, Barbie, for that timely reminder).

Hugs to all - and happy December!

M.
  • DebMc150
    DebMc150 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I am new to the postings segment of MFP. Not so much the losing weight part. But today is a new day and a new month. I hope I am doing this correctly. . .anyway - I deleted all my history and I am starting this over - today is a new day! I am not going to loseweight as when you lose something you usually find it! I have resolved to GET RID OF all the EXTRA WEIGHT AND BAGGAGE!! I have recently found myself in a job transition and I am taking advantage of the time!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    It's me again Did my home work and found out why the 1.3 gain. There's always a reason. My friday got up to me LOL. Yes i can laugh about it. Because I did it to myself now only one way to go undo it.

Vicki
    Great weight loss in 2 1/2 months. I to weigh on my wii every morning.
    Sounds like Christmas is going to be a great one. And your so lucky all them grandkids.

Letty
    Welcome
    congrats on being good at shower
    Can't help with I pod don't own one.
    good goals Good luck

Caroj
    Good for you for reaching most of your Nov. goals.
    Dec. goals sound very doable Good luck

So might of missed some sorry.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    It's me again Did my home work and found out why the 1.3 gain. There's always a reason. My friday got up to me LOL. Yes i can laugh about it. Because I did it to myself now only one way to go undo it.

I'm glad that you were able to track down the cause of the 1.3. Now you can go forward with your plan with understanding. I hate feeling confused and since it makes me feel out of control, I imagine that is how it makes others feel, too.

On a personal level, I haven't weighed-in in almost two weeks due to lack of opportunity, so I'm flying blind. My NSV's are telling me that I'm on track. I wonder what the scales will say when I get home. Last night my daughter dragged me shopping. My son is getting married next week, and she needed some things to wear. Evidently I did too, because she talked me into buying some clothes. A one piece "jumpsuit" cocktail outfit is two sizes smaller than I've bought in a several years and a pair of black dressy slacks is one size smaller than recent purchases. I am shocked, in the good way. I need to try them on again this morning to verify that I wasn't hallucinating.
  • lentigogirl
    lentigogirl Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    November goals

1) stay consistently within 5 pounds of goal weight (mostly yes)
    2) stay within calorie goal at least 6 days a week (yes)
    3) no Thanksgiving binge! (yes)
    4) do more upper arms work (not so much)
    5) start Christmas shopping by month's end (sorta)
    6) be kind (I try)

I did reasonably well, and think I might have almost the same goals for December!

1) maintain & stay consistently within 5 pounds of goal weight
    2) stay within calorie goal at least 6 days a week
    3) no holiday binge!
    4) do more upper arms work
    5) meet annual exercise goal for elliptical (480K steps), rowing machine (1200K), and bike (3600 miles)
    6) finish Christmas shopping by month's end
    7) avoid holiday stress
    8) be kind
  • Alicia7519
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I hung in there this November. I logged my food intake everyday, did yoga as much as I could, went to my appointments with my health coach (bless that woman) and that is it. Last month was hectic and stressful, but I did not give up on my journey; I took a slight detour and almost got lost. Since I started MFP which was August 28, I have lost 22 pounds. I just have to keep in mind that some things are out of my control and as long as I did the best that I could, that should suffice. So here is to December! I am glad it is a new month which for me signals that I can go at it with gusto!

Goals for December

1. Drink 8 glasses of water. I kind of let this go. I have been forgetting my water bottle at home. I am going to buy one for my office. So screw you little voice in my head that talks me out of drinking water.

2. Give up eating so much on the weekend. Towards the end of November it had gotten to the point that I was being careful about what I ate for four days a week. I still lost weight, but I was going back to my old habits. First it started out that on Fridays, I would have whatever I wanted for dinner and that fused into Saturday because of college football; wings and beer. Then towards the end of the month, I started going to Happy Hour again because I would have a chance to see my friends and catch up. They can come work out with me at the Rec Center.

3. Cardio. I still keep blowing this off. My cardio schedule will be Tuesdays, Thursdays, Fridays, Saturdays, and Sundays. Mondays and Wednesdays are just too freaking crazy.

4. Take my lunch and snacks to work. I slacked off in November. I bought healthy food at the store for lunch, but not enough to have something to eat every two hours.

5. Limit eating out. See above.

6. Take care of myself. I am still stuck in the rut of rescuing and enabling. It's really sucking out my energy. I love my health coach for gently pointing this out to me this week.

7. Save calories. When I go to parties, I will save calories for them. Also, I am going to eat something before I go.

8. Wine. No more beer. If I go to a party, I am having a glass of wine. See above.

9. Lose a pound a week or not gain weight.

10. Be thankful for what I have.

Have a great December!
  • rjadams
    rjadams Posts: 4,060 Member
    Options
    Hi all, Welcome to so many newbies. Having been a member of this group for almost 3 years now I am overwhelmed by all the new faces.

Welcome back to some old friends as well *shouts out to Reb!*

Back when I first joined I got very involved and responded to everyone. I was a great cheerleader and I was very successful (I lost over 30 pounds) Then I went back to work.

I gained the weight back and I just don't have the time to get down to indiviual responses anymore. Especially with how this thread has grown. It really frustrates me.

So December Goals
    :love: Revel in the puppy love I get every day.
    :drinker: Drink 3 litres of water per day.
    :smile: acheive 10000 steps per day.

Keep it simple.

Much love,,
    Robin Bodi and Ritter
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options

Carol
    When your not sure whether it's hunger sometimes it's a big drink of water you need.

Yes- and thanks for the reminder. I have yet to make it to 8 glasses a day with any sort of consistency. Which reminds me-bottoms up!
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    Mcclenny
    Realease your weight to the universe. Give it to the wind, mr moon the sun whatever just give it away. As you see I didn't mention any ones names because no one here wants you to give to them. If you lose you are more apt to go looking for it. Much better to give it away.

Katla
    How great is that buying sizes smaller. Hope you like your jumpsuit.

Lentigogirl
    If your not finished your shopping by Dec. 25th. You'll be shopping for next year. lol.

4dogmom
    That's what I was last week a 4 dog mom thank god only for one week had sons two labs.
    No gain for Dec. is a great goal.

KJ Adams
    It is a big thread with a lot of us with the same problem.
    You took it off once now know how. You'll do it again
    Good luck.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies. Nice day here. It was really foggy yesterday all day and then last night, but by 7 this morning it was clearing and now it is nice and sunny. It’s going to be in the 60s today. I plan to walk the dog and do some on the elliptical.
    I have been thinking about goals for December and while I did ok in November, I really am not totally happy with only losing 18.3 pounds in 5 months…that seems a little slow to me. I feel like if I don’t kick it up some, it will take years to get this weight off. I know it didn’t get here overnight, but still…..So I am going to try something a little different. I think I do need a weight goal so I have something tangible to shoot for. But these goals are going to be for December and January and I think they are reasonable. I plan to track not only daily, but weekly too, giving myself a little wiggle room but keeping me on track at least 5 days a week, so my overall goals can incorporate eating more on some days.

We don’t have any holiday parties to speak of. The one at work is a lunch buffet and you can go or not. They do always have healthy foods in addition to lots of sweets. My boss has a holiday gathering on an afternoon, but there again, you don’t have to eat and there are always healthy choices. So Christmas isn’t really an issue for me…I don’t usually go to either event.

So anyway, here are my 2 month goals:
    1. Lose 11.7 pounds by January 31 (that would total 30 pounds). My reward is new lingerie which I need!
    2. Decrease cals to 1800/day 5 times a week average = 12,600/week (by only saying 5 days, I can eat more on 2 days if it happens but eat less on the other days to still average 1800/day for the whole week)
    3. Drink 90 ounces of water each day.
    4. Stick to my original exercise plan (lift weights 2x/week, aerobics 5x/week
    5. Log on here daily

Barbie: great goal to have a strategy for every holiday event!

Eileen: while I was gone yesterday, DH went to home depot 4 times!

Michele: I have ended up with a stomach upset the last few times I had something fried too. You get so used to not eating that grease, it really bothers me when I do.

Carolmsb: both ulcers and GERD give you that “gnawing” stomach pain that does feel like hunger. I’m hungrier each fall for several weeks after we change the clocks.

Katla: great news on the smaller pants! Yes travel eating is quite the challenge. My hubby used to like truck stops…truth is many of them do have great “home style” cooking that always involved lots of frying!

LinC: I would not weight every day. You’re right…that was not from ½ cup of corn, but more likely water fluctuations. I’d cut back to weighing weekly.

M: I love your attitude about food. Food is to nourish our body and take care of its needs, not to soothe our souls!

I’m not really sure how I did with my November goals….part good, part bad. I’m going to start paying more attention to them and keeping notes. DH says he can get the December goals to just appear on my desktop so I don’t have to open the document.

NE got blown away in last night’s football game…pretty pathetic.

Welcome to all the newbies. Keep coming back and chatting with us. To everyone else I know I missed, have a great Sunday and I am thinking of you all. Meg
  • chrispatk
    Options
    my goals for Dec is to walk 2 miles at least 5 times a week and to drop 5 lbs this month. I know I have a lot further to go but this is my first baby steps.:smile:
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I'm new to this group- tried starting one a few months ago but didn't know this one existed! I'm 66 ready to turn 67 in Jan. Coming back to losing weight after some health setbacks the last couple of years. Was on a good weight loss journey that got interrupted and now am back at it. A set back the last couple of months caused a weight gain of 6lb. So some new goals are in order.

My goal for Dec
    1. to do weight training class 2 days a week,
    2. continue my walking buddy walks 3-4 times a week (sometimes life interrupts the best laid plans)
    3. Add a vigorous cardio workout- in the past I have done kick boxing and Zumba.
    4. Make sure each day as AT LEAST 30 minutes of workouts or movement (1 day of rest can be stretching)Keep up with the reduced calories - went from 1450 to 1400 this last week. Harder than I thought to make the adjestment.
  • kalolina2
    kalolina2 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    How do i join this group....?
  • bjmcq
    bjmcq Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I just spent a good while creating my goals and a post that just disappeared! :noway:

so I will do a short hand version: :smokin:

Welcome to all the new people who just joined this thread, you will find that everyone here reflects, reinforces and rewards your struggles! I was a November newbie, and this is the place to be. :smooched:

Many thanks to Barbie for her commitment to keeping these threads going, and to her goal-oriented inspiration. :happy:

I have changed my profile picture to reflect a moonrise- I was facing due west at that magical time between sunset and dark, and from a low cloud on the horizon emerged a full moon, like a beautiful butterfly from a cocoon. That is my image for December, a physical, emotional and spiritual re-emergence into a full self. :blushing:

Today is a good example of newness - you go where the river flows, even if you meant to land the boat elsewhere: my 21 year old son sat down and thanked me for being a support, a listener, a friend, and for sharing my own life experiences for the last two weeks, as he ( and his dad and me) all sought to deal with the heartbreak of his breakup with his first true love (he was rebound guy) . We talked about many things, living and dying by the very short, unexpressive words of facebook and twitter chat, instead of interacting with real people; and it morphed into one of those great explorations of the world as it changes as it is viewed by older and bright young minds. :bigsmile:

Goals

1. Stay logged on and plan plan my meals, even if they change during the day; a plan means no worry, no guessing :happy:

2. Stay away from wheat based carbs where possible, wheat and I have a dangerous magnetic attraction,
    allergies versus cravings :tongue:

3. Stay on food plan, eat every meal, :flowerforyou: make no caloric space for all the Christmas goodies that set off the carb dance that masquerades as heaven, but is really a clouded mind in hell. :devil:

4. Stay on track with the very very brisk walking, increasing it to a steady 4X a week, and making sure there is longer and
    varied paths to take! :drinker:

Goal underpinnings:

A. Eat at least four dinners a week, en famille, at the dining room table...we can all get too busy

B. Enjoy the Christmas season for its true meaning of creative renewal, the hanging of the greenery, the bringing in of the tree,
    the glow of family and friends.

C. Ensure the major and minor academic responsibilities are fulfilled: one major paper, new term outline, and completed
    marking.

D. Enjoy, consciously thinking, about every bite! How my taste buds have changed! I can taste every dollop of oil, butter, and
    salt now, in a way I could not before....so the smallest amount is amazing,

E. Be grateful for everyone, everything, and everyday! As the cuz says, if I can get up and put my feet on the floor, it is going to
    be a great day!

:drinker: BJ
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    My resolution for December is to:
    1. Continue logging every day
    2. Get as close to that goal weight as possible (closing in on it!)
    3. Do what strength training that I can before my hip replacement in January.
  • housegirl2
    housegirl2 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Hi Calolina2- I think you just need to post! That's what I did.
  • luvsbks
    Options
    I am new to this thread but not new to MFP.

My goals for December are:

Log my food every day
    Exercise at least 3 days a week
    Not to beat myself up if I slip up

Mary