WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR DECEMBER 2012

Options

Replies

• janewilldoit
    Options
    Hi Jane from Australia, I can't get enough of this group I'd love to join this group of inspiring like minded over 50's.
    I'm 57 and a Grandma to 15 month old granddaughter who I'll see for the 2nd time this coming Christmas. Since joining MFP and doing the 30 day shred (which I almost enjoy!!) I feel great and look forward to reaching my goals over the next year. I'm a passionate gardner and animal lover ....3 dogs (Whippets) chooks and Netherland Dwarf rabbits.. Rambling on here so I can join !

OK down to my December Goals;

1. Log everything that goes down goes down!!

2. Take the dogs for more walks.

3. Be kind to myself.

4.Drop a KG by Christmas!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy Dec to you all.Welcome to ll the newbies,this site is awesome.
    Thanks Barbie for this wonderful place we can talk,connect and motivate each other.
    My goals are to continue to work on getting my legs strong.
    Not let the blues get to me this year.
    Watch the night time eating.
    Find things to be grateful for daily and concentrate on them instead of things I don`t have .
    HUGS
    jane:flowerforyou:
  • LinCharpentier
    LinCharpentier Posts: 1,122 Member
    Options
    There read a few so going to respond to those right now.. There's very good goals in here. Very reasonable ones at that. Got my food done for tonight but not charted yet. Just in case don't want to have to undo.

JB
    Love gifts from the kitchen I like doing that to. I bake a lot. Cookies and lb cakes and such. Love gifts from the heart.

Sue
    Won't be no golf in this part of the country until sometime in May that's why you get the golfers from around here for the winter lol.
    Good goals

Edraper
    Zumba have fun

JnHeff
    No gain in Dec. Great goal. But I'm still going to try and make it under 200 for Christmas my gift to me.

14 again
    Now how did you manage to get younger than your kids. Myself i'd be happy to go back to 40 lol.

Wal
    Very doable goals. Small but you know what you can and can't do. Onward forward.

My twenty minutes are over and i'm not hungry so that means I'm full lol. Babysat a very sick little grandson 4 year old. Most of the day. Mom had to go to city. While dad brought the little one to hospital I had the little girl she's six.
    So now they have the job of showing a four year old how to use puffers. No fun. But they said he did ok his first time.

Well today and even though it's Sat. I ate well and did my exercise so good day. Need to string up a few of those.

Take care see you all lighter.
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Now to reply to the rest. Nothing changed since my last post because I haven't left this chair.

Texas girl
    Any loss for Dec. would be great. Dec. can be a great month if you look at what it all means. I find over the years it just got way to monetary for my liking. But I make a lot of my gifts it's gifts from the heart.

Jane
    Zumba is fun and there's a lot of it on u tube. kind of fun. Like your goals.

Cindy
    Welcome and congrats on the many lbs lost no not lost cast out to the wind. Dont want to go find what you lost lol.
    Almost at goal. This year and if not. Won't be much work in 2013.

Carol
    Welcome to a great site.

Rebel
    Welcome

Lila
    It's a new month. Remember Nov. is done and gone. A maintain for the month of Dec. sure would be great. I want to get under 200 for Christmas and only 3.3 to go. Should be doable.

Jane
    Someone told me a long time ago be happy with what you have.
    You never will miss what you never had.

So let's have a great evening of water drinking and no food.
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hello all my dear friends and welcome to the newbies. Yesterday after getting up at 4;30, we went out to dinner and didn't get home til 9 then i fell into bed. ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZz So no posting yesterday. I did read all your posts on the last thread and here. Already 2 pages...omy! Today i went to a little town north of OMaha to spend the day with a good friend and former coworker. We had lunch at this adorable English style tea house and Peggy had pre-ordered our meal. We had "royal tea for two" which came with a three -tiered tray full of cheeses, nuts, fruit, sandwiches, little quiches, and all sorts of sweets. Everything was teeny-tiny, about the size of a cube made of quarters, so even though it was probably all rich, it was small in quantity so I think that was ok, but I have no idea how to log it! I don't know half the stuff I ate LOL. Then we did some shopping and she drove me around town, giving me the tour. It was a wonderful day and so nice to spend time with my good friend.

Tonight NE plays in the conference championship game (football) so wish us luck! I don't have time to respond to everyone personally tonight because the game starts soon, so I will wish you a wonderful Saturday evening and I'll post more tomorrow, including December goals. I have to find a way to post them on my computer home page so I can see them everyday withut having to open some document!

OK, take care all. Meg
  • Gardengail
    Gardengail Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    Marking the post. Thanks Barbie!
  • lizmil79
    lizmil79 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Happy Saturday. I was so tired the last couple of days I would read the posts but my brain could not connect to form a sentence. The weather here has been rather mild for this time of year was able to go out and take a lovely walk with Bella. Did a Costco run today it was busy but not any more than any other Saturday. I will be back with my goals for December I need to think about them.

Lately I have been so hungry I have been able to stay under but as soon as I eat its like what's next. But I am not sure if its true hunger or??

Wishing everyone a nice Saturday. Welcome to everyone who is new.

@janemartin -- I hear you on not getting blue for I struggle with that too I get down with less sunshine. Can totally relate.
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,975 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: I guess I must have been tired. I slept two hours later today than usual. It was nice to walk the dogs without needing a flashlight. I got my hair cut, went shopping for some needed underwear, went to Costco with Jake where we had a few “snacks” and bought only what was on our list. I walked the dogs in the rain and did my weight training while watching TV with Jake who was doing his physical therapy exercises. My weight training uses 13 pounds on my ankles and 5, 10, and 15 pound dumbbells. His exercises use 1 and three pound weights, a heating pad, and an ice pack. Some days I feel like I’m looking for any and every excuse to not do the weight training and then when it’s done I think “wow, that was easy and the time went so fast”

:bigsmile: I am so happy to see new faces ready to join us on this adventure. I hope you will all come back every day, read the posts for encouragement and inspiration and then share with us what’s going on with you or ask questions or respond to something someone else has said.

:flowerforyou: Renny, glad to see you back on track……usually a grocery store will have some sections with organic food and there are grocery stores in most communities that feature organic and non genetically modified foods….an internet search might help you find a store near you.

:flowerforyou: Linda, while you are wishing to be back at work, don’t forget to be grateful for the opportunities you have now that you won’t have once you are working again.

:flowerforyou: Lizzie, you are welcome to my quote….I “borrowed “ it from someone on MFP about three years ago and after using it awhile, I feel like it’s mine…..you can do the same

:flowerforyou: Katla, having fewer goals is a good idea because it’s easier to remember them and stay focused.

:flowerforyou: Lin, isn’t it great when you find that your experience can benefit others

:flowerforyou: LinCharpentie, when I started reading your post and got the part where you said it was hard to drink all the water, it inspired me to get up and pour a glass of water to drink while reading…..I exercise every day (walking my dogs) dance three days in a row, but I always leave one or two days between the days I do weight training so my muscles have a chance to rest.

:flowerforyou: Michele, I’m like you, being very picky about which holiday eating events I go to.

:flowerforyou: Jb, I admire the balance of your life between work, exercise, and creativity

:flowerforyou: Suebdew, you have such a wonderful way of responding to everyone….thank you for your kind words.

:flowerforyou: Janie, those are great goals especially the one about staying out of the bakery.

:flowerforyou: Junerbooner, I especially like your goal of staying in a positive frame of mind

:flowerforyou: Lila, keep on keeping on……you can change the goals for different nutrients on your food diary so if you want to increase fiber you can increase the goal for that…..studying your food diary can help you find ways to make positive changes.

:flowerforyou: Meg, good luck to your team

:flowerforyou: LIzmil, consider doubling or tripling the portions of vegetables if you are hungry---lots of food to eat with very few calories…..also consider leaving out cookies and bread---too many calories and adding more protein

:heart: Barbie from NW Washington

It’s not what you eat between Thanksgiving and New Years that will get you as much as what you eat between New Years and Thanksgiving.

:bigsmile: Resolutions for November (with end of the month comments)
    *yoga once a week (no yoga at all)
    *weight training three days a week (accomplished twice a week)
    *recumbent bike 60 minutes a day (60 minutes or more almost every day until the breakdown)
    *say “OK”---be agreeable (most of the time)
    *stay in the moment (only a few lapses)
    *Be Barbie (great)

Resolutions for December
    • Have a strategy for each holiday food event
    • Weight training three times a week
    • Act the way I want to feel
    • Don’t expect praise or recognition
    :bigsmile:

"The reason most people fail instead of succeed is that they trade what they want the MOST for what they want at the MOMENT."
  • carojrrn
    carojrrn Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    Marking my spot and will check in tomorrow....Happy December to all!

Carolyn
  • edraper70
    edraper70 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    What a great day. We bought our Christmas tree and got it up and decorated...Well, after a couple more trips to Home Depot. Good thing we live pretty close. Some of my light strings weren't working right so we went and switched to LED lights. They look just like the other ones.

Zumba was fun again. The new routines have a lot of jumping in them though. I know I don't HAVE to jump in those parts, but I feel like I don't get the full benefit unless I do all of it.

Then tonight we went out for pizza with our son and daughter-in-law. I had plenty of calories left after all the running around today:happy:

My December goals are: to maintain my weight...and maybe lose a little
    to keep out of the Christmas goodies (My 88 year old mom always sends me cookies!)
    to do strength training at least twice a week

Have a great weekend. Eileen
  • canadiandee
    canadiandee Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Great idea! My long term goal is to be able to keep up with my darling granddaughter (2-1/2).

I think for December, my goal will be to exercise for 30 minutes, a minimum of 3 times a week.
  • MumOfADuo
    MumOfADuo Posts: 294 Member
    Options

Mumofaduo - what's your name? If you ca walk 60 miles in 3 days you're my super hero, What a wonderful accomplishment. You go girl!

Lol sorry, my name is Kathey and I have walked the San Diego 60 mile 3 Day for 5 years now...this past year I wasnt able to take time off from work, but getting ready to register for 2013....lol.....the walking is EASY, its the fundraising that is hard Ü
  • exermom
    exermom Posts: 6,384 Member
    Options
    Lynn, Pat, cindy, Jane, canadiandee and anyone else that I may have missed - welcome!

edraper - I have the Wii zumba on my wish list from Amazon which I sent to the kids for what I'd like for Christmas. If I don't get it, I think I have enough thank you points so I'm going to get it myself. I also have a new HRM on my wish list and if I don't get that, I'll definitely be buying that.

Janie - I really like the way you are really trying. So many people would just say "oh, I can't do that", but not you.

Wol - congrats on the great loss!

suebdew - thanks so much for the compliment. I try to offer advice if I can and encouragement.

juner - you will figure out that pedometer and probably be real surprised that you're taking more steps/day than you thought you were. What kind did you order?

The other day I made some brownies for Vince from scratch. Since they're from scratch, they don't have all those preservatives in them. Since he's not really eating them that fast, what I did was cut them up tonight and froze about 1/2 of them. This way, when he does get around to finishing the ones that are out right now, I can pull out the frozen ones and they'll be somewhat fresh. Plus....that's less that I'll have to do (making them)

Renny - I'm not sure, but I think you have to assume all foods are GMO's unless it states it on the package that it isn't.

Tonight on the way home from the concert Vince stopped at a BK mainly because Lynette and I had to go to the bathroom. Ken had a migrane so we just came home and didn't stop for dinner. Anyway, he asked me if I wanted something, I really was turned off by all the fried foods. Then Jessica said "ma, they have sweet potato fries". I told her that they were deep friend and (this is true) I would have an upset stomach if I had hem. I just can't have a lot of deep fried foods or else my stomach starts to say "I don't think so..." which is difficult here in the South

Lin - I'm with you, I'd much rather give a gift that I made or one I baked rather than something that I just bought in a store. When you get something that the person made, you know that they were thinking of YOU while they were making it. So sorry to hear about your grandson.

Meg - wishing your team the best of luck

barbie - for me, an exercise class goes by much faster than if I have to do something at home myself. Well, usually that is. There are those times when I do something at home and can't get over that an hour has passed. But mostly time flies in a class setting for me. I love the quote that it's not what you eat between Thanksgiving and NewYears but what you eat between NewYears and Thanksgiving. So true, so true. You didn't do any yoga during Nov? I'm surprised. I thought you did yoga a lot

Did an hour of yoga today. Tomorrow I'll do some training games on the Wii.

Hope everyone has a great evening.

Michele
  • 14again
    Options
    Actually, the "14again" refers to my hope to become a SIZE 14 again! I just had to go out and buy two new pairs of size 18 pants, because the 16's won't zip up anymore. I was putting it off as long as I could, hoping that I could lose weight just by wishing, but it didn't happen.
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Hello Ladies,

Happy Saturday. I was so tired the last couple of days I would read the posts but my brain could not connect to form a sentence. The weather here has been rather mild for this time of year was able to go out and take a lovely walk with Bella. Did a Costco run today it was busy but not any more than any other Saturday. I will be back with my goals for December I need to think about them.

Lately I have been so hungry I have been able to stay under but as soon as I eat its like what's next. But I am not sure if its true hunger or??

Wishing everyone a nice Saturday. Welcome to everyone who is new.

@janemartin -- I hear you on not getting blue for I struggle with that too I get down with less sunshine. Can totally relate.

"But I am not sure if its true hunger or?? " I have been confused by feeling hungry when I shouldn't be-and I have come to the conclusion that what I am really feeling is the sensation of GERD. My acid reflux feels like hunger- that's the only way I can explain it.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Katla – how are you feeling? Are you over the nausea etc?

Hope you all have a good day and keep the faith (in all ways).
    Lila

Thank you for asking. I am feeling much better. I am not sure exactly which bad thing I ate got me. Was it the Mexican restaurant lunch, the Starbucks coffee "snack", the KFC, or all three? I managed to consume all that stuff and stay under my calorie goal, but I got sick anyway. That sure gives me something to think about. Quality matters. Travel is a challenge. We're staying in a motel for about two weeks, then in a hotel for about a week. Eating healthy is not easy.

Good news. I bought two new pairs of pants. They aren't the same size as each other but both are smaller than all my others. :bigsmile:
  • junekaatz
    junekaatz Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    ♫ Bump ♪
  • aneaglesoars
    Options
    I am definitely well into my 50's and happy to have found this site.

My goal for December is to maintain my weight or lose a few in this month of Christmas.

I have found menopause to be very challenging and to add to it a medication I'm on also makes losing alittle bit harder. Hoping to find people to keep me motivated on this journey.
  • DeeDee2211
    DeeDee2211 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    Good morning beautiful ladies:flowerforyou:

I`m here to review my Nov. goals....

10 glasses of water everyday....again I always got 8 in but fell short of the 10 everyday:frown:
    Fish twice a week.....I think I had a week or two or just once a week:frown:
    prelog food diary....:bigsmile: everyday!
    be grateful for every ounce that comes off....:indifferent: ....gained 3 lbs this month:sad:
    check in here once a day...:bigsmile:
    continue walking....:bigsmile:
    slow down and recharge....didn`t happen:noway: :cry:

Here it day 2 of December and I`ve not decided on my goals yet:embarassed: . Gaining the 3 pounds and not understanding why has really thrown me into a tizzy, and I just don`t know what to change, I`ve lowered my carb intake so I`ll see if that will help, so far :grumble: I gained 1.3 yesterday:noway: :huh: :sad: . So I will ponder on my goals today and see what I can come up with!

Welcome to all the newbies:flowerforyou: Please come in often and chat with us!!! This is the best group of women on MFP!!! Lots of support, motivation and great ideas!

Time for me to get ready to put on my tiara and go hold cout with my subjects this morning:bigsmile: :laugh: ! I`m feeling a bit bossy too so they better watch out today:tongue: !

Have a wonderful Sunday!!! Drink your water:drinker: :drinker: :drinker: and log your food!!!

Hugs,
    DeeDee
  • LinCharpentier
    Options
    Good morning this place and how is everyone here this morning. I'm fine but somewhat upset thought for sure I would see wii smile this morning instead I got a 1.3 loss gain from yesterday. I don't know where I went wrong and I hate gaining and not knowing the why. Hope some of my friends can check my daily intake and maybe point it out to me. No salt, no sugar just an ugly gain. I know corn is not the best of 1/2 cup corn don't weight 1.3 lbs. Oh well only one thing to do about it and that's to take care of it.

Dee Dee
    I gained exactly what you did yesterday. Might be the exercise for me. I did almost an hour. Between dancing and the wii. Maybe we will see a big whoosh for tomorrow. Let's hope.

Carol
    When your not sure whether it's hunger sometimes it's a big drink of water you need.

So today i'm going to have a super good day need to get that gained weight off for wed. tops. I want my t towel for 4 consecutive meetings. Then work for my bathtowel I need 8 good weeks for that one. Only made it once in all the years been in tops. Have a lot of dish towels.

So lets get this act together it's Dec. but that don't give us the right to gain. Let's all go line dancing with Barbie.