does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    hydration is hydration. The many things that have water in them, including milk, tea, juice, coffee, even cola all counts towards hydration. Calories in them is another subject all together and some actually are better at hydrating than others. I have tried many times getting used to drinking water all day, but I just cannot do it. Since this is for life, I have changed to warm tea and drink a ton of it with a splash of milk. I am very hydrated. If your pee is a light yellow and not really dark then you are good as gold. We do get a lot of hydration from the foods we eat too. If you get thirsty that means your body is dehydrated, if you don't then you are most likely doing a good job.
  • GypsysBloodRose26
    GypsysBloodRose26 Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    ... I thought milk was milk? It has calories, sodium, etc...

Water is water, everything else is whatever it is.

This
  • CassieReannan
    CassieReannan Posts: 1,479 Member
    Options
    *facepalm*
  • bluechip777
    bluechip777 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    dinner_for_schmucks_movie_image_zach_galifianakis_01-600x400.jpg
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Water has one density, the density doesn't change dependent on state. The cup example is there are "less molecules" in the gas cup. If ther was the same molecules as the liquid cup then it would way the same. I think you're confused....

Quoted for the Lolz.

1 density?
    My 10 years old knows better.

Here is the question. Why does ice float?

Because Water is what is known as H2O in a liquid state, Ice is known as H2O in a solid state. Water can't change state, H2O can.
    The density of ice is 0.9167 g/cm³ at 0 °C, whereas water has a density of 0.9998 g/cm³ at the same temperature.

Notice the word "ice" and "water" so LOL

... And pressure.

You stated, "The density doesn't change dependent on state." You are now playing on semantics of water versus H2O. Nice try.
    Your statement is wrong. Own it.
  • Levedi
    Levedi Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't count it as water either because it's simply not water. Tea and coffee, however, I do count as water.

Um, no. Tea and coffee are diuretics - they make you pee more water than you take in. They do not count.

Milk on the other hand absolutely counts. It's mostly water and it contains essential nutrients. The 8 glasses of water a day isn't really 8 glasses of water - it's 8 servings of 8oz of liquid. Fruit, soup, milk - they all count. You should drink more than that if you exercise a lot, sweat a lot, are in a hot climate, are pregnant, or anything else that might tend to dehydrate you.

Honestly, what shouldn't count are diet drinks like Crystal lite. The artificial sugars in most lite drinks will make you pee at least as much as a caffeinated drink will.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    OK, my understanding is that we agree, but the initial comment was not well phrased and lead to all this discussion. Still, it's interesting and more fun than what I'm supposed to be working on right now :)

Just a couple more comments before I finally get back to work:
    If you throw in environmental factors yes. For example what is pressure? It's a force, so yes it would cause an increase in weight.
    Our environment is 1 atm as you know.

Ok, but I get the feeling from your response that you don't appreciate the importance of the "environmental factors". The density is NOT well defined unless the temperature and pressure are given or it's clarified that they are the same. This is especially true when you compare different phases (e.g. liquid/gas) of the same material.
    ((13.1326 mol.)( 0.08206 (L*atm)/(mol * K))(273.15k))/1 atm) = 292.12 liters or 1234.72cups.
    in first glance the calculation is correct but you made a small mistake at the end: 1cup=1/4L not 4L! But we agree, you'd have ~300/4, about 75 cups of steam if 1 cup of water had evaporated and the T,P remained the same.
    But Gases are just molecules that are excited, For example throw a can of soda in a fire what happens? The tempreture excites the molecules and causes them to move faster hitting the wall of the can faster with more speed, eventually it builds up enough speed to explode the can.

I won't elaborate but the statement in bold is also wrong :) Had I been grading I'd have taken some points off for that! What you mean is that molecules have higher kinetic energies, but they're not 'excited". That's something else :)
    Just clarifying how gases work, now to the topic. I think we're misinterpreting each other, what I am saying... If you do consume 1 cup of H2O(g) you're consuming the same amount of molecules of H2O(l). Yes there is more Volume within a given container with a gas, but there is also a lot more space, the molecules are just moving faster within the container taking up more volume, the volume of water doesn't change. What changes is he space between the water.

Again, your phrasing is misleading. What you mean is If you do consume 1 cup of H2O that was liquid and then was all evaporated you're consuming the same amount of molecules of H2O(l)

With that I think we all agree. In other words, the same mass of water contains the same molecules independent of what its phase is. I think this is what you were trying to say but got mixed up with volumes etc :)
    I saw the page what you posted, and yes that's not what I am talking about. In chemistry Dimensional analysis (also called Factor-Label Method or the Unit Factor Method) is a problem-solving method that uses the fact that any number or expression can be multiplied by one without changing its value. It is a useful technique. The only danger is that you may end up thinking that chemistry is simply a math problem - which it definitely is not.

Interesting, I didn't know this had a name! Actually now that I think a bit more about it, it is in some way a very simple form of dimensional analysis and I suppose that's why it got this name. But it's still a misnomer. Out of curiosity and if you don't mind me asking, at which level is this taught (high school, college)? I'm not American but I'm somewhat familiar with the educational system over there.

Edit: I was going for a couple quick comments and close the issue, but ended up with a huge sentence by sentence reply. Sorry for that!
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If tea didn't count as water my Mum would be dead lol unless wine counts? :P
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    Milk is 85-90% water. http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_percentage_of_milk_is_water

You can get "water" in many different ways.

hydrating-foods.jpg

Edit: The 8 glasses of water recommendation is an arbitrary number. It does not take into account water you get from food. The climate where you live. The energy that you expend daily. To much water can make your kidneys work harder than they need to. No one knows how much to much water is. Just like no one really knows how much water is required daily.

you're my hero.
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    The subject is the water in milk, it's not like we're going to be examining this on mars or 4 miles below sea level.

I don't agree, I think it's important to be as clear and precise as possible when we talk science so that there are no misunderstandings. It took us several posts to realize that when you wrote "volume" you meant "mass". There are many ways to have pressure different than the atmospheric one, the simplest example being the can of soda you mentioned earlier.
    The answer results in 292.12L. since all the units cancel only thing left is Liters. So the answer from the calculation is 292.12L. Type in 292.12L in to google how many cups is that?

oh, that's my bad, I mixed that up. Sorry, you're right about that.
    Excitation is an elevation in energy level above an arbitrary baseline energy state. Atoms that are excited have a higher energy state. Kinetic energy of an object is the energy which it possesses due to its motion. With out energy there would be no motion, with no motion there will be no excited state. For example melting ice with fire. There is very little kinetic energy or excitement in ice, turn up the heat and kinetic energy and excitement increases. This was an exact quote i remember from a lecture a while back from a professor who graduated from Berkeley in chemistry. "Gases are excited molecules."

In that context it is clear what you mean, but the phrase is problematic because an "excited molecule" means something very specific and completely different when you know quantum mechanics/quantum chemistry. I used to TA such courses for several years and sort of took it for granted, but If you haven't had such a class, then ignore my comment, what you said is perfectly fine.
    Well I am majoring in chemistry and computer science, so my first chemistry course was in college. It was "Introduction To chemistry." This is where we learned dimensional analysis. It was an introductory course, so I would assume they teach it in high school chemistry course.

I see, that makes sense.
  • You should not drink milk period, our bodies have not evolved yet for us to be used to this unnatural product. Also, if you are serious about working out, it increases the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Good luck.
  • StaceyJ2008
    StaceyJ2008 Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Milk is not water.
  • SheilaG1963
    SheilaG1963 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    You should not drink milk period, our bodies have not evolved yet for us to be used to this unnatural product. Also, if you are serious about working out, it increases the lactic acid build up in your muscles. Good luck.

WTF? Since when is milk an unnatural product? We didn't breed the cows to produce milk. They just do. As for that matter, is mothers milk an unnatural product?
  • BackTatJIM
    BackTatJIM Posts: 1,140 Member
    Options
    Drink Water its important
    i still drink about 2 waterbottles of water every day but i also drink 3 glasses of milk

2 bottles a day?? are you working out? I drink more then that just at the gym
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Um, no. Tea and coffee are diuretics - they make you pee more water than you take in. They do not count.

Hi. Welcome to the thread. We disproved this a few pages ago. Perhaps you and the others would like to catch up?
  • kuntry_navy
    kuntry_navy Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    i'll bump my ticker up one if i drink a ton of milk(pending on skim,2%, etc.) but, you should seriously consider drinking more water than two bottles
  • nsblue
    nsblue Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    if you are counting fluid intake.. yes you would. When in hospital and they are watching what fluids you take in, they count... water, milk, juice, pop, coffee, tea, soup, ice cream, apple sauce, jello, yogurt.
  • cookiepaws
    cookiepaws Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I would count milk as a source of water, if I drank it. Almost everything we eat/drink contains water that is counted towards your daily hydration.
    I don't count soda, coffee, some juices and some teas. Only because of the sugar/caffeine content as this can counteract some/all? (no idea which) of the hydration factor. The 8 glasses a day is a guide only and not a legit rule.
    I used to have access to a very complicated scientific calculator for water intake but alas I lost it years ago. At the time I weighed 94 lbs and I didn't even need close to 8 glasses of water. (as it accounts for a general percentage of food/liquid intake).
  • malmbr
    malmbr Posts: 26
    Options
    I think this has been commented to infinity, but I'm going to throw in my 2 cents anyway...

I don't count my skim milk intake towards my hydration intake (although I'm leaning towards the "do it" side of the argument). I don't count sodas, regular (caffeinated) tea, juices, green tea (again - caffeine), etc. However, I keep a jar of decaf artificially sweetened tea in my fridge and I DO count that and "crystal light"-type drink mixes, but only up to 4 glasses per day. I still try to make the majority of my liquids water.

Side note: I'm combining MFP with another plan that allows this type of hydration (up to 4 glasses of zero calorie, decaffeinated liquids).

And going back to the pee comparison: totally agree. If it's straw-colored or lighter, I know I'm good! (But I still don't drink it!!!)
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    when I'm on a dive boat, I try not to drink too much water as peeing in my dry suit is fun for the first few minutes and then not so good. peeing off the back of the transom during a surface interval is just too damn hard. I eat fruit instead to get fluids. Then at the end of the day I drink beer.

will I die?