does milk count as water?

Options

Replies

• Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    I am friends with a few registered dieticians, and ALL of them encourage me to count fluid intake from all sources as water. I'm too lazy to calculate the water percentages in my food, but all liquids count for water for me. Also, as long as my urine doesn't appear concentrated, I really don't care how many glasses I get.

Of course, water is the best source of water :wink:
  • T1mH
    T1mH Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    Is spring water better than distilled water or should I be drinking condensed water?
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    Is spring water better than distilled water or should I be drinking condensed water?

to be safe you should probably either dig a well or catch rain water.
  • glitterjam
    glitterjam Posts: 145 Member
    Options

and then there's the pee test. As someone else said, certain vitamins turn your pee a virulent yellow. Has no one here eaten asparagus? More importantly though - if your pee is clear, you are stressing your kidneys.

I drink 4 liters of water a day (over 16 hours)...my pee is nearly clear. Am I really stressing my kidneys?
  • lovechicagobears
    lovechicagobears Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    The color of your pee can be a indicator of hydration but not always. Certain foods can influence this. For a while I was taking a multi-vitamin that made my pee a fluorescent yellow. It was kind of fun.

I'm pretty sure everyone knows asparagus and some vitamins are exceptions to the rule. I was speaking generally.
  • Jynus
    Jynus Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Holy ****, I worry about the future of humanity based on the idiocy I'm reading here....

The answer to the question of "Does milk hydrate you?" Is a straight up YES. He's NOT asking is milk water. Why you seem to think this is the question utterly baffles me.

Milk hydrates you as it contains water. /thread
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Water has one density, the density doesn't change dependent on state. The cup example is there are "less molecules" in the gas cup. If ther was the same molecules as the liquid cup then it would way the same. I think you're confused....

Quoted for the Lolz.

1 density?
    My 10 years old knows better.

Here is the question. Why does ice float?

Because Water is what is known as H2O in a liquid state, Ice is known as H2O in a solid state. Water can't change state, H2O can.
    The density of ice is 0.9167 g/cm³ at 0 °C, whereas water has a density of 0.9998 g/cm³ at the same temperature.

Notice the word "ice" and "water" so LOL

... And pressure.

You stated, "The density doesn't change dependent on state." You are now playing on semantics of water versus H2O. Nice try.
    Your statement is wrong. Own it.
    Water has one density, the density doesn't change dependent on state

I know i said it incorrectly, i won't deny it. My point of all this was that because H2O changes state doesn't mean you will get less or more molecules, it would be the same amount. You never said something you didn't mean correct?

Sure, I've said incorrect things.
    I try not to continue ...

Density is not a the number of molecules but the mass per volume or molecules per volume so actually in a given volume you do get less/more molecules. Perhaps you meant mass?

H20 changing state will result in a change in density as will H20 at different pressures / temp without a change in state.

Here

dens3.gif

I know that this has gone off on a tangent, so sorry.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    No. Milk is a solid! It gets excreted through the intestines. Water is important but I wouldn't drink too much. You can get water intoxication and mess up your electrolytes. But water is still the best thing to drink for your health and weight loss!

Good luck
    Hope

1998092-mind-blown.jpg
  • bradthemedic
    bradthemedic Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    Yes, milk counts as water.
  • cedarghost
    cedarghost Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Cows drink water, water is liquid. Cows make milk. Milk is liquid.

Therefore:

Milk = Water
    images.jpg
  • footiechick82
    footiechick82 Posts: 1,203 Member
    Options
    I didn't read through this...

answer is No.

Your body is made up of 60% (ish) water not milk.
  • KatieJane83
    KatieJane83 Posts: 2,002 Member
    Options

answer is No.

"Milk is approximately 87% water, so it is a good source of water in the diet."

(http://www.milkfacts.info/Nutrition Facts/Nutritional Components.htm)
  • florymonde
    florymonde Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    when I'm on a dive boat, I try not to drink too much water as peeing in my dry suit is fun for the first few minutes and then not so good. peeing off the back of the transom during a surface interval is just too damn hard. I eat fruit instead to get fluids. Then at the end of the day I drink beer.

will I die?

Yes. You will die. It may take 80 years or so for it to catch up to you, however.
  • MoreBean13
    MoreBean13 Posts: 8,701 Member
    Options

answer is No.

So, If milk is 88% water, and your body is 60% water, it would be true that it would be a hydrating substance, right?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options

answer is No.

I am baffled by this logic. Our body is also made up of bone. Does that mean we need to eat bone?
  • MoreBean13
    Options
    Woah. Nevermind.
  • MoreBean13
    Options

answer is No.

So, If milk is 88% water, and your body is 60% water, it would be true that it would be a hydrating substance, right?

Btw, the answer is no. This isn't true. The logic is on par with your body not being made of milk though.
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Milk does not count as water....still need to get in 6-8 eight ounces glasses a day at least!!
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Milk does not count as water....still need to get in 6-8 eight ounces glasses a day at least!!

Yes it does and no you do not.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283

http://www.bmj.com/content/335/7633/1288
  • bonjour24
    bonjour24 Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    well, didn't this turn out fun!

milk is mostly water. personally, i only count water as water. however i do drink coffee, diet soda (gasp!), and other wet things and i add them into my calorie tracker to keep track of the macros.

as far as the ice vs water argument i just read a few posts back- what effing nonsense is that?? the state of solid vs liquid vs gas is down to the speed of the vibrations of the molecules. and it is a bit daft to say that water and ice have different densities at the same temperature! it freezes, melts and vapourises at the same temperature- knowing this gave us the standardised temperature scales we have now!