Raspberry Ketones

Options
1235»

Replies

• onyxgirl17
    onyxgirl17 Posts: 1,721 Member
    Options
    So my sister in law is taking these and said she lost 23 pounds in a month...

well alrighty then...they really are magic...case closed

lmao she's also dieting and exercising 3 hours a day 5 days a week. Couldn't be because of that :p I was trying to tell her some of it was water weight but she would have none of that. They "are" magic!

Lol jk but yea she was so excited about it last night. She was like "let me show you all the supplements I bought!!" ... as I was thinking to myself how I lost 26 pounds over the past five months, no supplements, just calorie reduction and good ol' exercise.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I have tried a few weight loss supplements. I either feel like they dont do anything or I feel like they decrease my appetite to nothing (which gives me headaches).
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    My mom bought some of these off the puritan's pride website. I told her that everything that I have read says they don't work. She says "they are doing something, I've lost 13 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks." She does not exercise, she has very bad arthritis, knee problems, & has a hard time walking. I asked her if she is still eating the same as she was, & she said for the most part except she is trying to cut back on portion sizes.
  • SideSteel
    SideSteel Posts: 11,068 Member
    Options
    My mom bought some of these off the puritan's pride website. I told her that everything that I have read says they don't work. She says "they are doing something, I've lost 13 lbs in 2 1/2 weeks." She does not exercise, she has very bad arthritis, knee problems, & has a hard time walking. I asked her if she is still eating the same as she was, & she said for the most part except she is trying to cut back on portion sizes.

^ Bolded part being the likely cause of weight loss :)
  • Kellylynnhaynes
    Kellylynnhaynes Posts: 73 Member
    Options

^ Bolded part being the likely cause of weight loss :)

I agree as well! But I really don't think she has cut back enough for her to lose 6 lbs every week!
  • Joreanasaurous
    Joreanasaurous Posts: 1,384 Member
    Options
    I have been taking them for 6 months now. More than the weight loss which I am sure is due mostly in part to diet and exercise, I can see a definite difference in the adipose tissue (fat) under my skin. They may not work for everyone but as a registered nurse I have read the studies and tried it myself and I can tell you that it does work for me.

Does the adipose fat come off you and become an adorable little alien? I knew Doctor Who was real!
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    It depends how big you are to start with. My hubby is about 280 and dropped 12 lbs in 10 days by just cutting back a bit. I didn't even notice he'd changed anything until he got on the scale. The first few weeks of calorie reduction can lead to big numbers but it doesn't last.
  • MIM49
    MIM49 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    The following article was on WEBMD

Raspberry ketones (RK) are the chemical compounds that give raspberries their enticing aroma. And when ketones are taken from raspberries, they can be used to add fragrance and flavor to things such as colas, ice cream, and cosmetics.

But the buzz that has put raspberry ketones in the spotlight is the claim that raspberry ketone supplements can melt away fat and prevent weight gain -- even in the face of a high-fat diet. But can they really do that?

The answer is no one knows. Experts say that investing anywhere from $12 to $20 in a bottle of raspberry ketone supplements amounts to little more than wishful thinking. And doing so may or may not be harmful.

What the Science Says

There have been no human studies so far on the weight loss effects of raspberry ketones.

The only studies on the effect of raspberry ketones on fat are a handful of animal studies. The studies were done over the last 10 to 15 years. Researchers looked at the effect of raspberry ketones on rats, mice, and rabbits.

There are also a few studies on the effect of raspberry ketones on isolated cells in test tubes. But there is no way to know whether the same results would be produced in people.

The excitement over the potential benefit is understandable. In the animal studies, raspberry ketones appear to alter the animals' metabolism. As a result, the animals had a:

Speed-up in the processing of fat
    Reduction of fatty tissue, especially in the liver
    In the animal studies, raspberry ketones also seemed to affect the production of certain hormones that increase the body's ability to burn fat.

But whether raspberry ketones would have the same effect on metabolism and hormone production in humans hasn't been studied.

Until it has, experts say you're better off holding onto your money. Instead, concentrate on a healthy, balanced diet and regular exercise. Both of those have been shown to be effective ways to manage weight.

The Unknown Potential for Harm

Raspberry ketones in food and cosmetics are generally considered safe. But no one knows what short- or long-term effect raspberry ketone supplements could have on your overall health. That's because there has been no study to document potential side effects. There are also no studies that look at potential drug or food interactions.

The fact that raspberry ketones chemically resemble other stimulants suggests the potential for certain side effects. And there are anecdotal reports of jitteriness, increased blood pressure, and rapid heartbeat among people taking raspberry ketone supplements. But without the evidence, no one can say what dosage of raspberry ketone supplements, if any, might be safe to take.

The best advice is to discuss your concerns about weight and weight management with your doctor before trying any unproven method for weight control.
  • BroiledNotFried
    BroiledNotFried Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    If a TINY box of rasberries is $6.99 at the grocery store, how can it come in a pill form so cheap (i.e dehydrated meaning alot more then just a tiny box went into the bottle?).

Rasberry ketone pills are usually not from a single rasberry. They are synthetically produced to be identical to what is in rasberries.
    http://raspberryketonesite.wordpress.com/2012/02/07/raspberry-ketones-what-is-the-real-truth-about-them/

I think you'd be better served by eating a few real rasberries, watching your weight, and being on a treadmill while you watch Dr. Oz (Or just TURN HIM OFF).
  • heatherweber87
    heatherweber87 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    There are so many brands of raspberry ketones, you wonder which ones are real and which are fake...I bought from from Top Secret Nutrition L-Carnitine Plus Capsules, Raspberry-k, 60 Count but I don't actually know if they are doing anything....you would think you could trust advice from Dr.Oz but I have no idea.... any body on here had a good experience with these??
  • FatgutBgone
    FatgutBgone Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I just started taking them. My teacher said he lost 3lbs. in 3 days. I know it is not enough time to make a real judgment . I have been working out 4 to 5 times a week and staying at least 500 cals. below my goal everyday. I still only lost about 5 to 10 lbs. in 6 months. I am willing to try anything that might give a little help.