Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    ONLY WATER IS WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.png

Water is a diuretic too, though. Not true? Go drink 2 gallons of water and then try to avoid peeing.
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    It doesn't matter where you get your water from: tea, coffee, flavoured water, carbonated water, fruit, veg etc etc.
  • Oneday150
    Oneday150 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    ONLY WATER IS WATER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

image.png

Water is a diuretic too, though. Not true? Go drink 2 gallons of water and then try to avoid peeing.

Do not try that!!! You can actually die from that. Happend here in CT a few yrs ago, this man was trying to win an Xbox for his son from a radio station and the challenge was too drink as much water possible without peeing and he actually died.
    He drank 2 gallons of water.
  • honeyallen
    Options
    Nothing else counts as water; water counts as water. Many kinds of tea are caffeinated and caffeine is a diuretic. That means that it helps to eliminate water from your body, thus dehydrating you. Tea may indeed have health benefits. I would not recommend drinking tea for your daily water requirement either.
  • momsontherun001
    Options
    Tea is water and coffee is water and water is water. :)
  • myofibril
    myofibril Posts: 4,500 Member
    Options
    Nothing else counts as water; water counts as water.

Perhaps you should tell that to the Mayo Clinic:

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/water/NU00283
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Options
    Nothing else counts as water; water counts as water. Many kinds of tea are caffeinated and caffeine is a diuretic. That means that it helps to eliminate water from your body, thus dehydrating you. Tea may indeed have health benefits. I would not recommend drinking tea for your daily water requirement either.

You know what dehydrates me? Constantly debunking the myth that tea and coffee are diuretics. I'm gonna go drink some more coffee to hydrate.
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options

You know what dehydrates me? Constantly debunking the myth that tea and coffee are diuretics. I'm gonna go drink some more coffee to hydrate.
    This is driving me to drink! Whisky! Which is going to really dehydrate me.
    It's going to take quite a bit of coffee to rehydrate me after this bollocking.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    For those who keep saying that caffeine is a diuretic, you'd have to have huge mega doses of it to be effective. Caffeine is more a stimulant than a diuretic. Read actually clinical science studies on it an don't rely on "hearsay" from others who can't factually back the "dehydration" and "diuretic" statements with actual clinical studies.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    :blushing: :blushing: :blushing: Who knew this would become such a hot topic.... It even made the recent forums. I am going to be famous :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Lots of us knew this would be a hot topic. It's been argued to death. Also, every post goes to the recent list because they're just the most recent posts.
  • sahm23ladies
    sahm23ladies Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Think about this logically: Adding tea (or any flavoring) to water does not change the water into anything else.

Many people choose not to count those things, but their bodies still recognize the water.

And LMAO at classifying tea as "garbage."
    Yes. I've given up trying to convince people of this obvious fact. The logically challenged will still spout their nonsense.

No doubt!

And I had no idea my green tea was "garbage". Great.
  • fotogal7
    Options
    Most sensible reply yet.
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I've said it before on these debates, but I'll throw my two cents in again - I only count water as water. Big picture, I might look at other stuff I drink during the day as "fluid intake", but only water gets logged as water in my book, and I drink black coffee & unsweetened iced tea, no significant calories. :tongue:

But drinking coffee & tea all day does not make my urine light yellow or clear like water does. And the first time I donated blood, it was spur of the moment at a blood drive, and I had had nothing but cereal and coffee that morning. They had a rough time finding my vein, and when they finally got it, filling that pint took forEVER! They asked if I'd had any water to drink that morning, and I told them no, just coffee. They all nodded knowingly and said a-ha!

Now when I donate blood (and since I've made it a habit to drink water before I even get to my coffee in the morning), I make sure I've had plenty of water first, and I'm often in and out of the chair before people who started their pint before I did.

So yeah, drinking fluids is important, and we get water from other sources (food, other drinks, etc), but for logging, just water is water. And 8 glasses a day isn't a magic number, but a guideline - as others have said, drink enough to keep your pee the right color - if its dark yellow, you need more water, if it's clear, you could probably back off. If it's hot out, you'll need more, if it's cold, you might need less. If you're thirsty, by all means, have a glass of water. :bigsmile:
  • FredDoyle
    FredDoyle Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    I've said it before on these debates, but I'll throw my two cents in again - I only count water as water. Big picture, I might look at other stuff I drink during the day as "fluid intake", but only water gets logged as water in my book, and I drink black coffee & unsweetened iced tea, no significant calories. :tongue:

But drinking coffee & tea all day does not make my urine light yellow or clear like water does. And the first time I donated blood, it was spur of the moment at a blood drive, and I had had nothing but cereal and coffee that morning. They had a rough time finding my vein, and when they finally got it, filling that pint took forEVER! They asked if I'd had any water to drink that morning, and I told them no, just coffee. They all nodded knowingly and said a-ha!

Now when I donate blood (and since I've made it a habit to drink water before I even get to my coffee in the morning), I make sure I've had plenty of water first, and I'm often in and out of the chair before people who started their pint before I did.

So yeah, drinking fluids is important, and we get water from other sources (food, other drinks, etc), but for logging, just water is water. And 8 glasses a day isn't a magic number, but a guideline - as others have said, drink enough to keep your pee the right color - if its dark yellow, you need more water, if it's clear, you could probably back off. If it's hot out, you'll need more, if it's cold, you might need less. If you're thirsty, by all means, have a glass of water. :bigsmile:
    I hope they didn't give you juice after donating. It'll dehydrate you.
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I count herbal tea as water but if it has caffine or I'm adding milk to it I don't count it.

what she said
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options

Poking fun just for the sake of it, because...well...it's funny.

THIS JUST IN, DRINKING WATER MAKES YOU A HEMOPHILIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options

I've only been drinking coffee this morning and I'm peeing clear.
  • carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    :laugh:
    does blood count as water

please reply asap urgent
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I hope they didn't give you juice after donating. It'll dehydrate you.
    I always get the tiny can of apple juice! :ohwell: What was I thinking??? :wink:
    I've only been drinking coffee this morning and I'm peeing clear.
    Good for you! Doesn't work that way for me, and like I said, I go by pee color, so I must need more water with/before/after coffee than you do. :drinker:
    Poking fun just for the sake of it, because...well...it's funny.

THIS JUST IN, DRINKING WATER MAKES YOU A HEMOPHILIAC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :laugh: The horrors! Actually, they do usually have to ice pack my arm for a few minutes once the needle is out to stop the bleeding. :tongue:
  • 2BeFit4Jesus
    Options
    Jesus turned water into wine, so wine should definitely count towards water intake.