How does your intelligence compare with your SO's?

12346»

Replies

• reasnableblonde
    reasnableblonde Posts: 212 Member
    Our scores were pretty similar, but I have a PhD. I think I just work harder and am more aware of what's around me. He's a little more clueless and forgetful sometimes, but he calculates things faster than I do, etc. We work well together and are each skilled enough to understand what the other is talking about (when talking about work), but not so much that we challenge each other's work and compete.
  • crimsoncat
    crimsoncat Posts: 457 Member
    I'm like 1 point higher IQ wise, but I'd say he's just as smart as me. He disagrees sometimes because I'm going to be a doctor in two years, but he's learned so much stuff just from listening to me study. Tell me who's smarter: the person who learns stuff from just listening or the one that has to study a lot.
  • mandipandi75
    mandipandi75 Posts: 6,036 Member
    He would say I am way smarter but if I say it.... I'd totally prove otherwise.
  • CoffeeNBooze
    CoffeeNBooze Posts: 966 Member
    We're on the same page. He is smarter than me when it comes to current events, world views, history, and engineering. But we're on the same page where it counts. I couldn't date someone I had to dumb myself down to, what a chore.
  • supahstar71
    supahstar71 Posts: 926 Member
    He wins. :grumble:
  • msaestein1
    msaestein1 Posts: 264 Member
    We were pretty equal. He always liked to compete with me. When I got my job, I am a history professor, instead of saying congratulations, he told me that he could do that too. And he wonders why we are seperated and I have moved to new a state. I think I will try the opposites attract thing next time. ..
  • diddyk
    diddyk Posts: 269 Member
    I'm more book smart, she's more street smart.
    I learn faster, she tries harder.
    I work IT, she works HR.
    I'm tech savvy, she has trouble with setting clocks.
    I'm an introvert, she's an extrovert.

Basically, we're two sides to one coin. She completes me.

Very Similar for my SO and I.

I'm book smart, he's street smart.
    I learn faster, he tries harder.
    I'm very technical/logical, he has the memory of an encyclopedia.
    I work in Finance, he can fix anything.
    We're both tech savvy, but him more so than I.
    I'm an extrovert, he's an introvert.

I've dated less intelligent, than I am or maybe it was less ambitious, and it never turned out well. I need to be challenged. My SO is much more intelligent than he gives himself credit for.
  • Vincentsz
    Vincentsz Posts: 407 Member
    Since my wife is a friend of mine on MFP...I'll just say that I'm smart enough to say "She is!"

This is awesome!
  • emmy3111
    emmy3111 Posts: 482 Member
    I'm more book smart, she's more street smart.
    I learn faster, she tries harder.
    I work IT, she works HR.
    I'm tech savvy, she has trouble with setting clocks.
    I'm an introvert, she's an extrovert.

Basically, we're two sides to one coin. She completes me.

This ^ is so cute.
  • I think that me and my boyfriend are both in the "same page", just our interests and how we use our intelligence is different.

I'm a master's student, he dropped out of college because he disliked the degree he was taking and for financial reasons, but if he really wanted, he could totally do it.
    He's more focused on some subjects. He loves computers, videogames and programming, and he excels at that. I love to learn about a lot of different subjects, read all the books, know everything I can possibly know about science, history, literature, geography, etc. So, sometimes it can be a bit overwhelming and sometimes I just get bored with something and so pursue the next thing.

We both pick up things very fast, but I'm more confident than him, he's very insecure about his capabilities. On the other hand, he's usually more knowledgeable about politics and economy... I know I should, but I have absolutely no interest in those areas...
  • pawnstarNate
    pawnstarNate Posts: 1,728 Member
    I'm sooooo much smarter it just isn't funny. side note...at the moment I'm very glad she's not on MFP or this would be me......

man-in-doghouse2.jpg
  • Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Weird question haha.

Academically I blow my husband way out of the water. He had the worst possible homeschooling experience with parents so he was set back A LOT.

He CANNOT spell but I can as a dictionary! Again his crappy homeschooling.

Financially I'm also much more "smart". I keep us very financially healthy where he couldn't help but bounce his bank account every week before we got married and we had him close his account down.

I'm also much better about sticking with things... working out, getting chores done, finishing homework, starting and finishing big projects, keeping plans ect. But that's just because his parents never pushed him to go through with whatever he finished.

He knows A LOT about guns, history, mechanical stuff where I have no clue.

He also is so smart with technology he got a job you usually have to go through school to get. I have to go through all the academic hoops and tests to even get an interview.

He's got it together emotionally and can read people so well. I'm pretty idiotic with that.

We balance each other out!
  • We fill each other's holes.

hahahaha, best answer EVER!
  • wbandel
    wbandel Posts: 530 Member
    My twin and her SO were both the smartest kids in high school. So I've always been used to being around smarter people. My SO is technical minded and in that regard also way smarter than me. All three had ACT scores in the 30-35 range. I'm a typical above average, A/B grade student. Sometimes it's good being the "dumber" one in the group as I tend to notice the simple answers when they're all making things more difficult than they have to be. I'm also the "creative" one in the group so I guess I find atypical solutions.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    We are both highly educated critical thinkers. I would say he is smarter and he would say I am smarter. Both are probably true since we tend to have different strengths. Neither of us could tolerate an uneducated/ignorant/or just plain dumb person long regardless of how attractive they might be. My DH is definitely above average in the looks category (I can't lie that is really nice), but his intelligence is probably the hottest thing about him.

ETA: just noticed people are talking about grades and test scores. I don't believe there is a test that accurately measures all types of intelligences. But if that is what we are talking about then we both have genius IQs. I believe the IQ test measures potential though not actual knowledge and of course it does not guarantee outcomes. But like I said, I don't put much stock in those types of tests. With regards to grades, between us we have several postgrad degrees so we've both done well there. And we are both at the top of our fields.
  • DrMAvDPhD
    DrMAvDPhD Posts: 2,097 Member
    We are both highly intelligent (he is a mechanical engineer and I am in the process of getting my PhD in chemistry). IQ wise, I am probably smarter (I usually score in the 140-160), but he has a lot more usable skills/street smarts. I can be a bit of an idiot about new situations if I don't have things uber planned out ahead of time :laugh:
  • hughtwalker
    hughtwalker Posts: 2,213 Member
    My wife is smarter than I am - I just know stuff