Ladies, how do u feel about your man having female friends?

Options

Replies

• LeeWorrall88
    Options
    Ive always been friendly with girls, abit like a tomgirl if you like? In primary school I was very friendly with a few girls, after school I would hang out with girls and boys. In high school I was exactly the same, and became very close with a few girls, they were my best friends.. especially one of them who really was my best friend. We would hang out together always in school and after school, always together. She would help me with my relationships and I would help her with hers, we told each other everything and shared everything.
    Even now I am in college and I sometimes find myself just with girls.

I could not live without girls in my life, lads are kinda boring.

I am no cheat. I have never cheated on a girl in my life.

Ive been with my current girlfriend for 19 months now and sometimes its hard for her to know about me being friendly with girls, but shes ok with it or pretends to be at least.

Its true and I promise you, not all lads are jerks, and it is possible for a male and female to just actually be really good friends and nothing more.

My advice to you is.... The fact you know about girls he speaks too.... At least he isnt trying to hide it from you?
    You have to trust him and stop worrying. You may begin to worry and stop trusting him when he gives you a reason too
  • karenhobkirk
    karenhobkirk Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Okay, my fiance and I both have male and female friends, and we all hang out together, text each other, post on each others facebook ect. But 90% are attached. The ones that are not attached we keep no secrets about. No private conversations. No private text messaging. And we certainly don't turn off our phones when around each other. It all about trust. And if you have any doubts, then there is probably a reason. Ask him about it. Tell him what you're comfortable with. And if you still have doubts, move on. Life is too short. Find someone that is better suited for you.
  • flatbellybella
    flatbellybella Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    :sick:

gahhh I can't get into it. Makes me literally sick lol
  • HeidiMightyRawr
    HeidiMightyRawr Posts: 3,343 Member
    Options
    I have no problem with him having female friends.

I would have a problem with these friends knowing nothing about me after 5 months, him always taking the conversation outside, him turning his phone off etc etc Sounds very odd to me.
  • Redskins76
    Options
    No disrespect but I do not have female friends outside of family and the friends we hangout together with. From the beginning of our relationship we discussed this issue and decided to NOT have opposite sex friends because eventually it will cause problems down the road.
  • aproc
    aproc Posts: 1,033 Member
    Options
    I've been with my boyfriend for a year and he has several close female friends that he hangs out with. It bothers me a little sometimes but they've been friends a long time. If he were hiding his conversations and me, then I"d be worried. You can't ask him to give up friends that he's had before you but he shouldn't be hiding you from them. That's just suspicious...
  • tidesong
    tidesong Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I have a hard time with it. I have a number of personal, mental issues that are part of the problem, including a traumatic divorce, and low self-esteem issues. I always feel threatened by female friends he has. I have no reason to worry, at least not with him. But the past sticks in my head, and I have a really hard time with it, especially if I see anything I construe as flirting. Which is silly because I'm a flirty type, so I understand that not all flirting has anything to do with pursuing someone.

My current boyfriend and I started as a LDR. We did the back and forth thing for 4 years before I finally moved to the east coast to be with him.

There were some things in the beginning that made me suspicious, but I think that was really before we'd solidified as a couple, and I've been able to (mostly) let those things go. But my own issues still remain. :/

If you ever want/need to talk about this, feel free to PM me anytime. I totally understand.
  • NewLIFEstyle4ME
    NewLIFEstyle4ME Posts: 4,440 Member
    Options
    from the movie: When Harry Met Sally

Harry Burns: You realize of course that we could never be friends.
    Sally Albright: Why not?
    Harry Burns: What I'm saying is - and this is not a come-on in any way, shape or form - is that men and women can't be friends because the sex part always gets in the way.
    Sally Albright: That's not true. I have a number of men friends and there is no sex involved.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: No you don't.
    Sally Albright: Yes I do.
    Harry Burns: You only think you do.
    Sally Albright: You say I'm having sex with these men without my knowledge?
    Harry Burns: No, what I'm saying is they all WANT to have sex with you.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: They do not.
    Harry Burns: Do too.
    Sally Albright: How do you know?
    Harry Burns: Because no man can be friends with a woman that he finds attractive. He always wants to have sex with her.
    Sally Albright: So, you're saying that a man can be friends with a woman he finds unattractive?
    Harry Burns: No. You pretty much want to nail 'em too.
    Sally Albright: What if THEY don't want to have sex with YOU?
    Harry Burns: Doesn't matter because the sex thing is already out there so the friendship is ultimately doomed and that is the end of the story.
    Sally Albright: Well, I guess we're not going to be friends then.
    Harry Burns: I guess not.
    Sally Albright: That's too bad. You were the only person I knew in New York.
  • Beastette
    Beastette Posts: 1,497 Member
    Options
    Pull a robbery. Dump him and take his girls.
  • dlyeates
    dlyeates Posts: 875 Member
    Options
    GUYS AND GIRLS CANNOT BE "JUST FRIENDS".

There is no way. If he is truly devoted to you, tell him that the female friends will have to stop. Also, if he wants to hang out with them, then ask to meet them first. If you like her, then maybe it's okay. If you don't, then he should respect and trust that you are doing what is best for your relationship.

Word it well like "you know, I just want our relationship to continue in the right direction. I trust you, and I don't want anything to come between us." say it with a smile! :)

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH THIS!!!! If you are not mature enough to handle a friendship with the opposite sex then that is just sad!! My best friend from high school, whom I still talk to and hang out with (both with and without my husband) is a guy. We NEVER liked each other. I have numerous friends from college that are guys and we, again, never liked each other.

It is sad that 2 people can't be friends with one another because of gender. Of course secrecy shouldn't happen and open communication should be a part of the relationship!!! I would be more than pissed if my husband had ever told me that I had to stop talking to/hanging out with my guy friends. With immaturity like this then you shouldn't be in a relationship because you aren't mature enough to handle a grown up relationship.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Our friends are generally shared (male and female) so I don't currently have this going on. But I can say with certainty the times I've tried to have exclusive male friends I've been burned. Even at my age (39) it recently happened. My guy "friend" ended up just wanting to sleep with me (kept doing inappropriate things--ugh had to drop him). I am the social one in my relationship, so friends usually come around via me. I have decided no more male friends unless they are friends with my DH too/first and no more of me going out with just a guy friend (he better have his SO or my DH needs to be there). I worry zero about my DH because he has built up a ton of trust with me over the years. He doesn't hide anything from me plus he is a stand up guy and a feminist. We also have a larger than usual percentage of gay friends so I don't usually worry about the girls (the guys are a different story though).

I think you should trust your instincts. You haven't been together long so there may be nothing to worry about with this friend of his. You may end up being great friends with her (and like I said shared friends are usually no problem). But of course if you think he is being a dog that is something entirely different. Why don't you all go out? You like him, he likes her, so you'll probably end up liking her too.

And last thing, my partner has a lot of other "options" because of the nature of his work. But the women there all know and like me (we also happen to represent some sort of mythological relationship to them but that is a different story entirely only relevant because they are less likely to want to see us break up). So while I know there are a lot of ladies with crushes on my man (he's gorgeous and sensitive so I totally get that) I think women (in general) find it harder to screw over other women who they know and like. Not that I think my man would do this, but I think a few of the women might at least try if they didn't know me. So yeah, get to know her.
  • CarolinaMoon76
    Options

There is no way. If he is truly devoted to you, tell him that the female friends will have to stop. Also, if he wants to hang out with them, then ask to meet them first. If you like her, then maybe it's okay. If you don't, then he should respect and trust that you are doing what is best for your relationship.

Word it well like "you know, I just want our relationship to continue in the right direction. I trust you, and I don't want anything to come between us." say it with a smile! :)

Thats just ridiculous. Anyone who says that their partner needs to get rid of their real friends deserves to be dumped.
  • gingerveg
    gingerveg Posts: 748 Member
    Options
    Pull a robbery. Dump him and take his girls.

Lol, or this^
  • kardsharp
    kardsharp Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    My husband loves me. Neither of us is the jealous type.He can have all the friends he wants - male or female. Neither of us can meet all of the others needs (not sexual) and having friends adds to our lives.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options

I COMPLETELY DISAGREE WITH THIS!!!! If you are not mature enough to handle a friendship with the opposite sex then that is just sad!! My best friend from high school, whom I still talk to and hang out with (both with and without my husband) is a guy. We NEVER liked each other. I have numerous friends from college that are guys and we, again, never liked each other.

It is sad that 2 people can't be friends with one another because of gender. Of course secrecy shouldn't happen and open communication should be a part of the relationship!!! I would be more than pissed if my husband had ever told me that I had to stop talking to/hanging out with my guy friends. With immaturity like this then you shouldn't be in a relationship because you aren't mature enough to handle a grown up relationship.

Exactly. I can have guy friends without wanting to rip their clothes off them. I mean seriously?
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    he ain't married
  • brevislux
    brevislux Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I trust him 100%.
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I was on board with him possibly just having female friends until you said the one friend doesn't even know you exist. Huge red flag.

I thought that. Sounds like he's keeping her waiting in the wings or enjoying her adoration. Make sure you're keeping 'safe' - just in case!
  • PurpleKisses85
    Options
    My boyfriend and I have been together for about 5 months. I really care about him and I am excited to see where our relationship will go. I don't have really any complaints, the only thing that I have noticed is that whenever we are together he turns his phone off. (we live about 2 hours away from each other so don't get to see each other often).

Although I appreciate him wanting to give me all of his attention I kinda quesitoned "why". Well last weekend we spent it together and I told him he could leave his phone on, that he did not have to do that for me and I found that his phone was ringing all day, all night, massive amounts of texts coming in... maybe about something happening every 20 minutes. Come to find out they were his "female friends" who he talks to often. No problem right? Well, when I would go to the bathroom or shower etc, he would go outside and call them back. I feel like if they are just friends, why hide the conversation?

Maybe I am over thinking it but I did ask him about it and he did reassure me nothing was going on and they really were just his friends. He did tell me that one in particular has told him she wants to be more than friends, but why continue to lead her on by conversating with her knowing that he's with me... but she does not know that I exist for some reason. hmmmmmm

I have zero men calling or texting my phone outside of my family. I mean should I find myself some male friends or something?. How do you ladies feel about your man having female friends? .... men you are more than welcome to add your opinion also!

In all honesty and this comes from a guy who has more female friends, if we are truly happy in a relationship and all our needs are met we tend to neglect our friends and spend all our time with our significant others. Generally when something is lacking I might go look for it elsewhere, whether it is support or a heart to heart conversation it doesn't matter.

The truth hurts, but you are right. absolutely right about that one
  • NeverGivesUp
    NeverGivesUp Posts: 960 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. When I first met my hubby he was not comfortable with one male friend in particular. That relationship with the friend eventually ended because I didn't want my hubby to feel uncomfortable. He also ended a couple female relationships because it was obvious that they had feelings for him and one was a complete ho bag lol. In our case we respect eachother enough to not want the other person to feel in the slightest bit uncomfortable with who is in our lives. I do have a very famous guy friend as a friend but he is not so attractive so I don't think my hubby is worried. We have been married 11 years now and are both very loyal to one another.