"Fat Girls"

Options
14567810»

Replies

• oregonzoo
    oregonzoo Posts: 4,251 Member
    Options
    Well, the waiter was not only rude and uncalled for. He's also an effing idiot. In today's sue happy society that was a dumb thing to do.

As much as I disagree with "fat girls" being on their bill, they do seem to be making a pretty huge deal out of it.

In my opinion, calling someone an idiot is just as bad as calling people fat. If you are going to stick up for those girls being called fat and then call the guy an idiot. Don't you think that is hypocritical.

I don't think people are "complete" idiots. Just on certain situations.
    Calling someone an idiot is basically calling him stupid, dumb, moron.
    The only different between fat and idiot is that one is physical and the other is mental.
    He just made an idiot decision that night. Truth be told, it was the truth.

As we are growing up, our parents are suppose to teach us from right and wrong. Suppose to teach us from good and bad. Suppose to teach us to tell the truth and not lie., but that isn't always the case. I have notice growing up that even as an adult. You have to sugarcoat everything for people because the lack of backbone a lot of people have.

People want the truth, but if the truth hurts then you have to use Euphemisms the whole time you speak to them

I admit that a lot of people use euphemisms when they speak to people. Maybe that is why I don't have many friends cause I prefer to tell the truth truth and not use euphemisms.

I agree that the waiter did a moronic thing with the bill, but the fact that the women took it to the news was highly outrageous. The fact is that they all are highly overweight. I personally don't think that the guy should be fired. He did a stupid thing with the check because maybe he was just having a sense of humor for the night, but to fire the guy for the truth is way out of line.

So, it is okay to ruin a guys career over something that is clearly the truth is being mean on their part. I wish the civilian world was more like the military world. Just slap a article 15 on him, take some pay and give him a little manual labor so he doesn't do it again and move on with your life.
    Except that you know a law suit and Gloria Alred is to come. And the company will very likely have to pay out a lot of money
    And I DO think it's outrageous they took it to the media. Only setting themselves up for more scrutiny then they could have ever gotten from waiter.
  • etoiles_argentees
    etoiles_argentees Posts: 2,827 Member
    Options
    you all be quiet now and listen to one of the most perfect pop songs. :P
    http://youtu.be/wGu2lu5XWE8
  • TexanThom
    Options
    He expressed his opinion. I would have expressed my opinion of him by not leaving a tip.
  • JanaCanada
    JanaCanada Posts: 917 Member
    Options
    Wow...seems the waiter was not trained properly.

When I was 16, my first job was waitressing at a local pizza parlour. I wasn't trained at all, so I wasn't aware that tables had numbers. On my first day, to keep from getting mixed up as to who's table was who's, I wrote "older couple" on one check and "college kids" on another. My manager had words with me about that...then proceeded to train me properly. Lesson learned, as I went on to waitress at a upscale restaurant in college and made huge tips...enough to fund my tuition.

My point: blame the management for not properly training the waiter, and/or for not knowing the waiter was a rookie to begin with. And yes, blame the waiter for his very rude coment on the girls' check. Bottom line: you shouldn't label people.
  • emtjmac
    emtjmac Posts: 1,320 Member
    Options
    Why don't they just do c25k and log their calories with MFP so they can get healthy and avoid type II diabetes?
  • Voncreepy2
    Voncreepy2 Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    I want to know if the ladies in question were fat.
    If it was the other way round and it had been labeled " fit girls"
    They woul have been really happy.
    So why should rhey be shocked if it was an accurate representation of them?

Maybe it will be the kick they need to get in shape.

Um, no. Whether someone is fat can be a judgement that varies widely from person to person. It's exactly the same as labeling them "ugly girls" on the receipt. Not professional, not ok.

Exactly. And this man had no idea if perhaps they had a medical condition, just had a baby or just had emotional eating issues. Its so easy to look at someone else's life nd say what could bechanged. I hope this man is ashamed of himself.
  • rubixcyoob
    Options
    Some people on this thread are so horrible.

WE have no idea why any of those women are overweight. WE have no right to judge them.

That waiter should never had done what he did, and when the manager on duty had to surpress laughter about the situation, that is when it becomes an issue - it was obviously known/joked about with the staff, if they already found it funny.

Regardless of who you are, what you weigh, your religion, the colour of your eyes/skin/hair (and the list goes on) that gives NO ONE the right to put you down about it - in any situation. We are all humans, we are all born, grow, bleed and die in the same way (details aside, I'm talking in the basic functionality of life). We are the same, and we should be treated as such.

This was unjust and is something that happens daily. People are always put down because they are 'fat', and it should be made more of an issue of. Bullying, be it in the form of physical, emotional or verbal abuse (which in this instance is both of the latter two) is never okay.

When did basic decency and common courtesy for others go out the window?
    I agree these women, in the smaller scare picture, might be trying to get as much as they can out of it. But, on the larger scale, if this is what it takes to raise awareness that people are still treated in such a manner in today's society then it should happen.

Just because something seems small and insignificant to you, it does not mean than in a million other lives the ramifications will be as unimportant.
  • halobender
    halobender Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Fat acceptance is not OK.

Nor is being needlessly rude to people.
  • spud_chick
    spud_chick Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    The waiter was probably a young kid that thought it was amusing in his own mind. His description was accurate. I don't think it was ok, and I would have been embarrassed by it, too. But, the women shouldn't be getting national news attention for something so small. I'm fat, I've been ridiculed, I've gotten over it. I don't agree that the waiter should be fired, he should get written up...maybe....but firing him would just be stupid. If it hadn't gotten national media attention, they wouldn't be firing him. Hell, if they were embarrassed by a waiter calling them fat, what do they think is going to happen by the world seeing them on the news?

I suspect that if the manager had immediately comped the meal and apologized (without smirking) for the behavior of his employee, this wouldn't have ended up going this far. I'm sure this happens a lot more than we ever hear about and the "fat people" are expected to put up with it and slink off in shame, while the offenders never have to answer for it in the least.

I haven't had something like this happen to me, but if it had, I would like to think I'd address it directly, if maybe not exactly the way these women are. At minimum I would have posted negative online reviews of the restaurant. I'd probably do that even if I just overheard this happening to another customer while I was present. The manager's response makes it pretty clear that it wasn't the result of one isolated jerk on an otherwise conscientious and respectful staff. I would want to know if a restaurant I was about to give my money to had a history of condoning this kind of behavior.

Here's what it boils down to. It's nobody else's business if you are fat, barring loved ones who may be concerned about health risks. Fat people have committed no crime, aren't bothering others simply by being fat, and don't owe anyone an explanation of whether they have a glandular disorder, or just don't care about losing weight, or work as a chef, or anything else. It may not be desirable to be fat for multiple reasons we are all familiar with here, but it is still OK to be fat.

IT IS NEVER OK TO BE AN A**HOLE. Particularly not to people who are your paying customers. A**hole behavior deliberately provokes others without cause, creates ill will, and yes, it can cause injury--and while being an a**hole in silence usually avoids these crimes, a**holes almost never keep it to themselves. A**holes are rarely "harmless". Being an a**hole is a LOT worse than being fat. And if you think that calling a girl you don't know "fat" can possibly have some salutary hope of making her Not Fat in the future, then it stands to reason that stomping on an a**hole's nuts for being an a**hole might lead to him not being quite such an a**hole in the future. In this case, the a**hole's smirking manager probably high-fived him about it after the women left. If he was or is punished or fired, it's probably ONLY because these women are making a big deal out of it.

I don't like anyone seeking out a media circus, but people are awfully quick to overlook the simple fact of this guy's a**holery and point fingers at the patrons for either being fat, having the nerve to kick up a fuss about the insult, or both. I'm not saying they're heroes but there is no way they are worse than the guy who labeled them as 'fat girls' on their dinner tab.
  • Capt_Apollo
    Capt_Apollo Posts: 9,026 Member
    Options
    To be fair they were REALLY fat... Maybe this was a much needed reality check (reality cheque)..... No puns? Too soon?

file.php?id=7457
  • Aviva92
    Aviva92 Posts: 2,333 Member
    Options
    It is unacceptable.

It is prejudice.

No, they should not let it go.

It deserves to be in the news.

The girls should consult a good lawyer.

Sometimes change comes through the stick, rather than the carrot.

a good lawyer for what exactly? calling someone fat is not against the law. :laugh:
  • Tommy
    Tommy Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I wanted to offer a brief explanation for the locking of this thread.

The forum guidelines include this item:

2. No Hi-Jacking Topics

Please stay on-topic within a forum topic. Off-topic or derogatory remarks are disrespectful. Please either contribute politely and constructively to a topic, or move on without posting. This includes posts that encourage the drama in a topic to escalate.

In many cases we are able to edit out the posts that violate this guideline, but unfortunately this particular thread has become too volatile to moderate efficiently.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

At our discretion, this locked thread may be deleted entirely in the near future.

With respect,
    Tom
    MyFitnessPal Staff
This discussion has been closed.