1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options

Replies

• AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    It's funny you mentioned. I remember reading one stating that the variance between individuals is only like 1-3%. Of course you have your metabolic "genetic" freaks. I just need to find that study.

If you used to be 315 lbs, then you're now on the other side of the looking glass Alice. Don't forget how it felt to be over on *this* side
    And empowers me even more to tell you where I came from. I am telling you that you should consume as much calories as possible and still drop bodyfat.

You have to experiment to know where your limits our. It's like peeling and onion. You drop by removing layers when you need to. You don't strip the onion out right.

There is no race in reaching your goal. Do it correctly and make "dieting" as enjoyable as possible. That is 5 years of experience all wrapped into a few sentences.
  • quirkytizzy
    quirkytizzy Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    I had not read your profile - I made a comment on a thread. This is common in the practice of participating on forums (hint hint: you're on one right now!) and often includes things such as 1) reading a poster's comment 2) forming a response and then 3) posting said response in return. While another few clicks to browse the quoted poster's profile are certainly not strenuous, it's not much of a common action.

Generally, people in forums respond to what is said, not to ghostly back stories that may or may not be in a person's profile.

Your comment about being afraid of getting fat would include 99% of us, I'm sure, and the tone it was conveyed in was mocking. Chris not willing to do things your way? Call him a scaredy-cat. That's mature and wouldn't be offensive on a website where we all come here because we dislike our own fat.

I'm sure.

Thank you for noting my profile icon. I take great pride in her. She's a Paragon, but given the right time and space, will Renegade c0ck-block a nasty comment made to a friend any day.
  • Siege_Tank
    Siege_Tank Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    given the right time and space, will Renegade c0ck-block a nasty comment made to a friend any day.

Tears in my eyes laughing my A** OFF rolling on the floor
  • nickyfm
    nickyfm Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight?
    5"5 118 pounds

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?
    Nope

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?
    It wasn't so much what I ate, it was the fact that I stopped over exercising. When I used to do intense gym workouts 6 days a week, I was ravenous 24/7 (counterproductive coz I kept putting the weight back on!!) and my dietitian suggested taking it down a notch. Now I pole dance, do pilates and sometimes weight train, and my appetite is about half of what it was.

Otherwise I just eat Low G.I. - Protein and healthy fat at every meal, and I eat every 2-3 hours. Breakfast Snack Lunch Snack Dinner. And if I'm craving at night - I have a herbal tea. Green tea during the day helps as well.

Might be the answer for you too :)
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    To the OP, thank you for asking this question in a serious, respectful way. I am happy to share my details with you.

I am 49, 5'6". My starting weight at the end of August was 228. I have lost 28 of 73 pounds to get me to 155, then perhaps on down to 140 when I get there.

I have been around 1200 since I started. The first few days were a little tough, but I think it was more mental than really being hungry. I must say that I wasn't a huge eater before. I maintained on 1600-1800 per day. It was the occasional 2000 or more day that caused my weight to slowly creep up over the years. So 1200 wasn't a huge difference for me.

Altho I wasn't really ever starving, I did just want to snack sometimes, and would crave carbs when I was tired or bored. I had cut processed sugars down immediately when I first started, and after a few weeks I started upping my proteins and good fats and lowering my simple carbs. I eat veggies with 2 meals a day, and love almonds for snacks. Especially the cocoa roasted ones.

I soon found that the lower my sugar and carb levels, the less food I needed, and often found myself at 9:00 PM with 300 calories left for the day. I honestly would not be hungry all day. Especially if I was busy, or gone out of the house running errands, etc.

I am not extremely active, but I do ride my bike 3-5 days a week and burn between 300-500 calories on a ride. I don't intentionally eat back my calories, but if I happen to go over a bit on an exercise day, I don't worry about it. I try to eat between 1100-1200, but some days are a little less and some a little more.

At my age and BF%, my BMR is only around 1350, so 1200 isn't too much below that. My TDEE is only around 1700 on non workout days, and maybe 2000 on workout days.

I can completely understand how 1200 would be way too little food for most younger, or highly active people. But for me, it works. I average about 1 1/2 pounds per week now, altho it may be 2 pounds one week and only 1 the next. I have lost 28 pounds in 105 days, and altho I might stall for a few days, I haven't hit a true plateau yet. It all evens out by the end of the month.

So that is how I do it. I just don't need that many calories, and the calories I do eat, I choose carefully. I don't drink alcohol, or sodas. I fit in a treat every once in a while when I want it.

I don't plan on eating at 1200 forever. When I get close to goal weight, I will slowly start increasing my calories. At my goal weight, my TDEE without exercise should be around 1600. I can easily live on that, and I will continue to be active to counter the occasional higher calorie days.
  • Nikki31104
    Nikki31104 Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    I am 5'5" and I currently weigh 188 pounds. I eat about 1450 calories a day. Most of the time I don't have a problem with that amount of calories. I do have my "crazy" days where I want to eat everything under the sun. But I have noticed that I get full a lot faster now than I did 3 months ago. Also if I eat healthier foods I can eat more of them and that really helps a lot.
  • Oishii
    Oishii Posts: 2,675 Member
    Options
    Hi Love!

I think you and I have the same fascination with this question.

I'm 5'4" and around 127lb. I ate between 1200-1500kcal for a few months. I thought of hunger as my friend, because hunger = loss. My stomach can be filled by all the normal tricks (soup, protein etc) but the hunger is a different kind that wouldn't go away easily.

I know some people's hunger hormones are messed up from being overweight or under eating, and I guess, having never been in either situation, mine are working fine and register any deficit very loudly.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    Hi Love!

I'm 5'4" and around 127lb. I ate between 1200-1500kcal for a few months. I thought of hunger as my friend, because hunger = loss. My stomach can be filled by all the normal tricks (soup, protein etc) but the hunger is a different kind that wouldn't go away easily.

I know some people's hunger hormones are messed up from being overweight or under eating, and I guess, having never been in either situation, mine are working fine and register any deficit very loudly.

Just because someone can do fine on less than you without becoming ravenous doesn't mean there's something wrong with them or their hormones. SMH
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Hi. I'm 5'5", 45 years old, and started at 255 exactly 4 months ago.
    I've lost 42lbs and I eat 1200 cals a day.

I have a desk job and i'm not very active. 3-4 times a week I try to get a brisk walk in, or do some interval jog/walking. I do not usually eat back my calories.

The first few days of eating at 1200, I was a little hungry, but I also knew that I was trying to lose weight, and that meant that I wouldn't always be full... being full all the time got me overweight, so I was okay with a little hunger. usually I would find that just when i'd say, "damn, i'm really hungry!" it was time for my next meal or snack anyway.

These days, I'm rarely hungry, but I eat a lot of fresh, whole foods and try to stay away from sugar and processed foods and starches, other than potatoes or brown rice.

I have a few foods that I eat when I feel overly hungry for no good reason (like days i'm home for the whole day and near the kitchen and i'm tempted to snack all day), like spaghetti squash, shiratake noodles, scrambled egg whites, apples, and I drink a lot of seltzer, which makes me feel full.

my diary is open if you want to look (um... except today was my office christmas party and I drank a lot... lol)
  • er7521
    Options
    There is definitely an adjustment period. I am 5'5 and 120, and I eat around 1540. At first, I ate around 1280 and it was really tough. I eat a lot of soup, veggie burgers with those 100 calorie buns, and LOTS of hungry girl recipes. I also drink coffee in the morning to help curb my appetite. It is really hard to restrict calories at first, but I think it gets easier. I also always make it to the gym if I know I want to eat more. 1/2 hour of running will usually earn me 200-300 extra calories.
  • sstephanrodriguez
    sstephanrodriguez Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and currently 124 lbs. I started at 140.6 with a goal of getting down to 125. In the beginning to fit into my work pants, I ate 1300 calories and it was definitely hard the first couple of weeks. Once I started getting into a workout routine (I work out daily) and saw a few lbs drop off, I increased to 1400 then to 1500. Now I'm comfortable at 1600. However, on days that I exercise really hard and burn 400+ calories, I might eat more. I don't feel like I'm depriving myself. The other day I had smaller meals and treated myself to Marble Slab, within my 1600 calorie limit. I like 100 cal English muffins, Sensible Portions veggie straws/apple straws (good alternative to chips) and cliff bars as snacks to stave off hunger :)
  • psarah
    psarah Posts: 84
    Options
    I eat 1400 cal a day, and sometimes eat some of my exercise calories back. I have found it helps me to eat 150 cal every 2 hours and 450-500 cal for dinner. I don't ever feel like I'm starving. I also try to make sure I have at least 15g of protein with every snack and at least 30g at dinner. It has worked pretty well for me.
  • NoahandPresleysMom
    NoahandPresleysMom Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    I'm a 1200 cal girl...

1. What's your height/ weight? 5 ft 0 249

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? Nope If not, was there an adjustment period? No I just eat plenty of protein

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? A really jacked protein shake for breakfast. Works like a charm!!
  • aisha1142
    aisha1142 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'11 tall girl 170 pounds
    I do get hungry
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Well, I daresay I fall into this category. Most days I eat 1,200 - 1,700 calories.

I'm 5'4 and I weigh 110-115 lbs.

I never get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day because I'm eating all day long. And I always eat when I'm hungry -- I don't stick to a set number so much.

For number three (what do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry), I don't really understand the question. I guess maybe this question is designed for someone who restricts their calories strictly to 1,200? I never get to a point where I feel like death because I eat when I'm hungry -- some days that means eating 1,199 calories and other days that means 1,999.
  • maddmaddie
    maddmaddie Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight?

I'm 5'4" at 168 lbs (heaviest at 175 lbs)

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?

I used to be obsessed with eating a meal every 2-3 hours and exercising like crazy...but I really struggled to lose weight by eating so much food! I had personal trainers tell me I need to eat more, more, more! But I finally decided to stop listening to the media and everyone and eat only when I'm hungry and eat at a calorie deficit. FINALLY I'm losing weight (huh, how simple...calories in vs. calories out. who knew!). I tried out intermittent fasting which helped with my transition (eat stop eat program). Now? I can eat 800-1200 calories a day and not feel hungry. Of course I have alot of weight to lose but once I reach my goal I will adjust my calories to maintain. I'm in nursing school where I sit on my butt 7.5 hrs a day plus study 2+ hrs a day and try to exercise 1 hr a day so I'm really not using alot of energy...so why would i need more fuel? (It doesn't take much calories/energy to sit on my butt). Besides, I'm trying to lose weight anyways.

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

What's wrong with feeling a little hungry? It's not going to kill you. The purpose of body fat is "stored fuel", your body will use your stored fuel if its not getting enough fuel from calories (which is what we want if you're trying to lose weight.) When I was cutting back calories, sipping on tea or flavored water (crystal light packets) helped but it doesn't really phase me now. I'm hardly ever hungry because my body adjusted.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    OP, why do you assume that someone would feel like "death" eating that much/little? The way you phrased that sounds very presumptious and judgmental. I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound like that.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    OP, why do you assume that someone would feel like "death" eating that much/little? The way you phrased that sounds very presumptious and judgmental. I'm sure you didn't mean it to sound like that.

Well, if you're sure I didn't mean it that way then why even pick a fight? I asked a question--unambiguously said that I FEEL LIKE DEATH and what judgment can be made from it anyhow? It's a manner of eating--not WHO a person is. It's a question about calorie intake not a judgment of character.
  • DebbieLyn63
    DebbieLyn63 Posts: 2,650 Member
    Options
    I fully believe that there can be a vast difference in metabolisms among similar people. When I was in HS, I was 5'6, and around 120-125. I watched my food intake, but didn't diet. I just ate normally. However, in the 70s, the definition of 'normal eating' was quite different than it is today.
    My best friend was 5'8 and weighed 98 pounds soaking wet. She ate like a pig, every day. Seriously, this girl could put away 2 big macs, a large fry and a large milkshake before I was even finished ordering. I watched her eat 4 hot dogs, an entire bag of chips, and a 1/4 of a whole 2-layer cake in one sitting.
    She was super skinny, had zero muscles, and couldn't run to the end of the block if her life depended on it. I, on the other hand, was naturally muscular and ran 3 miles most every night, without a problem.

She was my best friend, but I really hated that she could eat that way and get away with it. It finally caught up to her when she was 30 and got pregnant. Her metabolism finally dropped to normal, and she gained about 80 pounds. She struggled so much trying to lose the weight because she was used to eating so much and just could not restrict her calories without starving. I doubt she would ever be able to only eat 1200 cals a day. But she also will most likely never be thin again.

I have no idea what caused our metabolisms to be so different, but it was what it was.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    Hi Love!

I completely agree. I just don't UNDERSTAND it so that was my intent in posting it--hopefully it shed some light on this phenomenon for you as well. I am the same with being FULL but so hungry.