• FitBeto
    FitBeto Posts: 2,121 Member
    Options
    They Cheat

Bill+Belichick+football+head+coach+(9).jpg
  • barbaramitchell101
    barbaramitchell101 Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    thanks so much...readig with great interest...but have to bump for now, gotta get ready for work....
  • dreilingda
    dreilingda Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Good information. I didn't read through all the responses so I apologize if something like this has already been posted but I think there is another big one to add.

Underestimation of calories consumed and overestimation of calories burned. I think this accounts for a big portion of people who struggle to lose. If you're struggling to lose you might need to start weighing your food with a food scale. You might be suprised how little 4 ounces really is. If you think you're burning 1000kcal an hour but you struggle to lose weight, you might want to get some expert advice.
  • explodingalice
    explodingalice Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    so true. great post.
  • MrsMaui27
    MrsMaui27 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing your knowledge! Love it!!! :bigsmile:
  • lizziebeth1028
    lizziebeth1028 Posts: 3,602 Member
    Options
    With multiple threads on people questioning why they can't lose weight, just thought I'd give some quick info. So here goes:

1. Inconsistency- Lack of being consistent on calorie intake, especially on the weekends. A couple of days of splurging (unless you're staying within your calorie deficit) WILL impede your progress.

2. Doing the same old same old- Continuing the same workout that you did 6 months to a year ago. The body adapts to routines. Unless you challenge it, it will adapt to workload. Try changing it up after a month, 8 weeks max.

3. You don't have much to lose- You can't lose if there isn't much to lose. And if you're shooting for a pound a week with just 5lbs- 10lbs to lose, then it probably won't happen. You're much better off going for 1/4 to a 1/2 pound loss a week. Adjust your deficit for that.

4. Not eating enough- Trust me when I say your body isn't stupid. It's sole purpose is to do what it need to to survive. Part of that is conserving enough energy for regular function. If you don't supply enough calories, it will lower metabolic rate. Don't just think eating the minimum is the ONLY way to lose.

5. Lack of rest/sleep- A killer. Body and mind need time to recover. Less than 5 hours a night is more than likely impeding your progress.

6. New to training- Anyone new to exercise will more than likely gain a few pounds in the beginning due to water and glycogen retention. It's natural and common.

7. High expectations- thinking that just because you're on a 1000 calorie deficit a day, that a 2lbs loss is GUARANTEED. Weight loss isn't linear. Again, your body is much smarter than you think and will do what it needs to do to survive. Look to just losing 1% of your body weight a week and stay consistent. Not every week will be the same.

These are just some of the issues. I'm sure there are more, but these are just the common answers for most.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

^^^^Spot on and so true!!!!!!!!!
  • naticksdonna
    naticksdonna Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    bump
  • calamity71
    calamity71 Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    Bump...great info.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Let me add, lack of commitment.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • marthadztx
    marthadztx Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Gramps251
    Gramps251 Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    Well done.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    bump
  • blueeyess55
    blueeyess55 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Filletsteak
    Filletsteak Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this! I've now changed my weekly loss from 1lb to .5lb, looking forward to some results!
  • sunshinesonata
    sunshinesonata Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Well said!
  • lisst87
    lisst87 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • svanzinha
    svanzinha Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you!
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Also excessive stress/high cortisol levels
  • oseinevergiveup
    Options
    Thank You..Yes I did gain at the beginnig..but now it''s falling off very slow...:wink: