1200-1500 calorie eaters...serious question...

Options

Replies

• love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight? 5'2" 142.6 currently -- started at 178

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? NO and I average 1250 calories a day

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

I have a few things that work for me. The first is that I eat every 3 hours or so. The second is that I eat a lot more protein than I used to. Also my goal is to eat all fresh foods (not quite there, but try every day) and I have found I can eat A LOT MORE fresh, natural foods than I can packaged junk type food. I have learned to make a lot of recipes from scratch so I can control what I put in them. I also plan out and prepare all my breakfasts and lunches for the entire week on Sunday night (this past Sunday that task took me only 45 minutes) and now I have no excuses to eat bad or option to eat out. Here is a normal type day for me:

7:30 am 1 hard boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon
    10:30 am 1 cup fruit (this week it is cantalope)
    1 pm 6 oz chicken breast, 1.5 cup green beans with seasoning, onion, bacon
    4 pm 1 small granny smith apple (sometimes I add 1 tbsp peanut butter if I work out on lunch)
    7 pm 1 lean protein and fill the rest of my plate with veggies ex... sirloin steak, california blend veggies with butter
    10:30 pm 1/2 oz cashews

8-10 cups water all throughout the day

Looks healthy but I could never do that--I had 4 eggs and oat bran this morning and I could have eaten much more. I'm satisfied but definitely not full.
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I have wild food days too -- I just try to keep them to the minimum :) I also find that when I have a crazy food day it doesn't affect me too much as long as I have been consistent the rest of the time. So I always tell myself -- consistency is key.

I do calistenics and strength training 3 days a week, kickboxing one day and a couple lunch break elliptical sessions as well. I do often find that the days I work hardest at the gym are the days I am the least hungry (could be in my brain -- so proud of myself that I am afraid of rewarding with food). But I always meet the food goal, I just add in extra scrumptious snacks.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    To the OP, thank you for asking this question in a serious, respectful way. I am happy to share my details with you.

Thank you for this! I appreciate you taking the time to acknowledge my well intended post! :flowerforyou:

You are welcome. This debate has been so heated since I have been on here and can get quick mean and hateful. I think it is simply because people cannot understand someone's body being so different from their own. I figured a girl's BMR one day and was shocked when it came out to 1800. That blew my mind that someone could have a BMR that high. Maybe a man, but never thought a woman could have that. THEN I finally understand why she was so adamant against anyone eating 1200 cals/day. Of COURSE she would starve on that amount. She was also very active and burned up to 3000 cals per day. For many of us, that just sounds crazy. About as crazy as those of us eating 1200-1500 sound to her.

I haven't checked your profile, but it sounds like maybe you are looking into a career in fitness and nutrition? If so, it will be very enlightening for you to see the varied calorie levels and BMR/TDEE of people outside your normal circle. I know it was very eye-opening for me to see the other end of the spectrum.

Thanks again for your respectful posts. I wish everyone would have respected your request and answered accordingly, but the anonymity of the internet often brings out the worst in people.

Wow! You are honestly one of the most polite posters I've ever encountered. I also appreciate the compliment--I'm not going into fitness or nutrition as a career but I LOVE everything about it. I'm going into law actually but I'd totally own a gym if I could. The thing about 1200-1500 calorie diets that I find the most disconcerting is that people who COULD eat more and still get results often turn to the lower number as a starting point without even giving the higher amount a chance. Their initial success makes it difficult to believe that they'd have been successful with more--then thus fear of food can develop. People often ramp up their exercise and keep the calories low--and that's where the problems lie. Now thus is NOT true for all people but it's try for enough of them that I am 100% opposed to 1200 calories as a starting point--1500 isn't do bad but less than that and I'm not on board. If the person has given it a reasonable amount of time with no success then an adjustment is in order but all too often people are seeing results but simply not FAST ENOUGH. I hope that explains my perspective a bit more.

I totally understand what you're saying (and seeing) and maybe i can offer some insight.
    On 1200 cals a day i'm losing around 1.5lbs a week. Sometimes 2 if I exercise enough. MFP figures that I'll lose 1.6lbs per week so that's pretty accurate.

So... could I eat more and still lose? yes. i could eat back my exercise calories and still lose 1.5lbs per week.
    but:
    a. I'm really not hungry. I've gotten into a routine with the foods I like that keep me satisfied. Sometimes after dinner I realized i'm 150 cals under my goal and i force myself to have something else.
    b. I'm 211lbs. Not terrible, but i still have plenty to lose so I don't feel the need to eat more and slow down the loss just yet.
    c. I go out to eat on saturday nights, and usually friday. If I'm going to have extra calories, I'd rather save them for those nights, when it's not me preparing my food. Therefore I have 1200 cals during the week and maybe 1400 on the weekends and I'm satisfied and losing at a good pace.
  • gabriellejayde
    gabriellejayde Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight? 5'2" 142.6 currently -- started at 178

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? NO and I average 1250 calories a day

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)?

I have a few things that work for me. The first is that I eat every 3 hours or so. The second is that I eat a lot more protein than I used to. Also my goal is to eat all fresh foods (not quite there, but try every day) and I have found I can eat A LOT MORE fresh, natural foods than I can packaged junk type food. I have learned to make a lot of recipes from scratch so I can control what I put in them. I also plan out and prepare all my breakfasts and lunches for the entire week on Sunday night (this past Sunday that task took me only 45 minutes) and now I have no excuses to eat bad or option to eat out. Here is a normal type day for me:

7:30 am 1 hard boiled egg, 2 pieces of bacon
    10:30 am 1 cup fruit (this week it is cantalope)
    1 pm 6 oz chicken breast, 1.5 cup green beans with seasoning, onion, bacon
    4 pm 1 small granny smith apple (sometimes I add 1 tbsp peanut butter if I work out on lunch)
    7 pm 1 lean protein and fill the rest of my plate with veggies ex... sirloin steak, california blend veggies with butter
    10:30 pm 1/2 oz cashews

8-10 cups water all throughout the day

that looks delicious and similar to how I eat (except for the nightly snack). I have an egg with 2 whites and spinach omelet a lot and I'm full for hours.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2 and weigh 117 lbs.

My calorie goal is set at 1,530. I don't always hit that amount (meaning I'm sometimes under like yesterday for example) but as to whether or not I'm always hungry the answer is no. I don't eat until I'm stuffed, I eat until I'm satisfied and IF I think I can eat more I will stop, push my plate away and wait 10-15 minutes and if I feel hungry still then I'll go back and eat a little more but usually I'm not. I also like to stop eating before I'm satisfied if I want to have dessert.

However this all might go out the window next week when I start Insanity and get back to my regular gym schedule in addition.
  • JustJennie1
    JustJennie1 Posts: 3,843 Member
    Options
    Looks healthy but I could never do that--I had 4 eggs and oat bran this morning and I could have eaten much more. I'm satisfied but definitely not full.

You shouldn't eat until you're "full". If you are then you're over eating (not being snarky either).

"THEY" say that you should eat until you're satisfied and then stop eating for about 10-20 minutes because that's how long it takes the brain to register that you're full.
  • rladd6421
    Options
    i'm 5'3'' and i was eating 1200 cal/day, i'm currently set at 1300 cal/day. I eat every 3 hrs so i never find myself getting hungry, by the time i'm feeling hungry it's time to eat again anyway. i also try to adhere to lower carb higher protein meals. I'm also currently at 134lbs.
    Options

You shouldn't eat until you're "full". If you are then you're over eating (not being snarky either).

"THEY" say that you should eat until you're satisfied and then stop eating for about 10-20 minutes because that's how long it takes the brain to register that you're full.

Okay--an hour later and I never felt FULL. I also don't think I'm overeating. Sorry--an egg and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast...that's UNDEReating if you ask me.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    I am 6'11" and eat 1300 and sometimes up to 1500 on days that I play basketball. I rarely ever get hungry. It's all about eating the right stuff that is low in calories. I fell like I am always eating and I usually stay under.
  • FightingforFit82
    Options
    I'm 5'6" and 160. I eat between 1250-1400 on Non lifting days. No I do not feel famished or like I'm not eating enough. It works for me. Everyone is do different though. What works for me, may not for you.
  • sarafay80
    sarafay80 Posts: 41 Member
    Options

Okay--an hour later and I never felt FULL. I also don't think I'm overeating. Sorry--an egg and 2 slices of bacon for breakfast...that's UNDEReating if you ask me.

Hey now...no need to dis my breakfast because someone else gives you advice. Daily meals will vary per person. I have always been a smaller breakfast eater -- but now that I fill my breakfast will protein and fats, I do not feel hungry for a couple hours. When I used to have oatmeal or toast or a banana, it didn't stay with me as long. We each have to find what works for us.
    Options

Hey now...no need to dis my breakfast because someone else gives you advice. Daily meals will vary per person. I have always been a smaller breakfast eater -- but now that I fill my breakfast will protein and fats, I do not feel hungry for a couple hours. When I used to have oatmeal or toast or a banana, it didn't stay with me as long. We each have to find what works for us.

I wasn't trying to dis your breakfast--for ME 200 calories or less is undereating. there are some people who skip breakfast altogether--I realize there are differences. I was referring to myself--my apologies for not making that clearer.
  • moosegt35
    moosegt35 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options

I wasn't trying to dis your breakfast--for ME 200 calories or less is undereating. there are some people who skip breakfast altogether--I realize there are differences. I was referring to myself--my apologies for not making that clearer.

I usually have 2 eggs and a 4oz steak or pork chop for breakfast. It's about 250 cals
  • cici1028
    cici1028 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    5 foot 7"
    Weight - between 132 - 135 pounds

I don't get hungry. I've never been a big eater and trying to eat more than 1500 calories a day feels like overeating to me. I will occasionally splurge on some food items, but generally sticking within 1300 - 1500 calories really works for me.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    Would an easier question not have been "Why are you torturing yourself?"
  • kschr201
    kschr201 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    1. What's your height/ weight?

5'4.5" and 140 pounds

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period?

No not really. I'm at about 1500 calories now, which was a gradual increase from the years I did less than 1200. 1500 seems to be a good number for me. Originally it was more than I was used to.

Lots of small snacks. They all have a substantial amount of protein. That's what gets me by.
  • softballsharie
    softballsharie Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm 5' 5" and weigh 139 lbs.

I net 1500, and usually eat around 1800-2200 calories per day. Every once in a while I get hungry during the day (usually the week before my TOM) but it's never really been an issue for me. Maybe my body is running off the reserves that I saved up for 22 years of my life by eating like 4000 cals per day and not exercising. hahaha

I eat like... everything. literally. lol small portions of everything.
  • emilydmac
    emilydmac Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I have a few questions for you...

1. What's your height/ weight? This morning it was 5'5" and 129 lbs

2. Do you get REALLY REALLY hungry during the day? If not, was there an adjustment period? No, I do not. I don't often get hungry unless I eat often, it's bizarre. There was a slight adjustment period where I could get hungry during the day but it was just generic tummy rumbles etc

3. What do you eat to prevent feeling like death (if you answered that you're not hungry)? Protein and nuts.

That is all. It's always puzzled me that at only 4'11 and pretty petite I feel like DEATH if I eat under 1800 calories (to lose weight). I just cannot understand how people adhere to less than that and not cave after 12-16 hours. I think I'd become a binge eater overnight (and I'm being 100% serious). Maybe it's just that I don't have that kind of will power--or maybe it's an adjustment that's hard for everyone in the beginning stages.

In any case, my main point in posting this is that I'm really curious if you are actually HUNGRY and you just resist or if you're fine with your intake.

It's funny because I am not hungry, I just don't feel the need to eat that much. If I am hungry, I will eat.

***I'm not attempting a 1200-1500 calorie diet...I am just curious.***
    Options
    I'm 5' 5" and weigh 139 lbs.

I net 1500, and usually eat around 1800-2200 calories per day. Every once in a while I get hungry during the day (usually the week before my TOM) but it's never really been an issue for me. Maybe my body is running off the reserves that I saved up for 22 years of my life by eating like 4000 cals per day and not exercising. hahaha

I eat like... everything. literally. lol small portions of everything.

This is basically how I eat! :)
    Options
    Would an easier question not have been "Why are you torturing yourself?"

That is assuming that EVERYONE finds it torturous--and that isn't true. So it would have been presumptuous and not have answered my ACTUAL underlying question.