Lost my beloved Running partner, my dog

Options

Replies

• Faericn_Rising
    Options
    I am very, very, very sorry. I had a dog for 18 years.... She was my best friend. My condolences. Truly.
  • dcdemocrat34
    Options
    So Sorry to hear about your loss, I don't know what I would do with out my little one!

She would want you to keep running!

Best Wishes
  • TheeGeeMarie
    TheeGeeMarie Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I'm so sorry you lost your friend. I'm betting she loved going on runs with you. Just remember how happy you were able to make her. Sounds like she had a wonderful and full life. Both of yall can always be thankful for that!
  • bluesky248
    bluesky248 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    SO SORRY TO SEE YOU LOST YOUR "BUDDY" I POSTED LAST WEEK WHEN MY BUDDY HAD TO REST FOR 2 WEEKS (INJURY) SO I FEEL YOUR PAIN, I CRIED ALOT! IT WILL BE HARD BUT GET THE FIRST WALK/RUN OUT OF THE WAY, YOUR DOG IS WITH YOU IN SPIRIT EVERY STEP OF THE WAY EVEN NOW, I'M SURE OF IT!

SOME FOLKS DON'T GET THIS BOND WE FORM WITH OUR BELOVED DOG(S) BUT BELIEVE ME I KNOW EXACTLY HOW YOU FEEL! BRING KLEENEX WITH YOU :( I AM SORRY FOR YOUR LOSS BUT WE WILL THINK OF YOU ON OUR A.M. WALK THIS WEEK!

SORRY AGAIN, BLUESKY248, RYAN AND CASEY (THE LABS)
  • miracole
    miracole Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    my absolute condolences, my Glacias is my favourite running partner too. She sends wags your way and says thank you for being a great dog owner who allowed your dog to have the very best kind of life, one with lots of running with the pack.
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    *hug*

RIP, Harley. I hope you'll watch over your mama as she goes out on her runs... :flowerforyou:
  • Songbirdcw
    Songbirdcw Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss. RIP Harley. I loss my dog Lucy in August, and it's been hard ever since. I'm sure it will be hard without your friend. Consider the good times you've shared, and know that Harley will still be running with you in spirit.
  • WrenStory
    Options
    I'm so very sorry for your incredible loss. I've lost cats before and it's hard. They become so close, like children. I'm hoping you can find motivation to run on your own now that your dog is gone...
  • ejwme
    ejwme Posts: 318
    Options
    I'm so sorry for your loss. But I'm sure Harley would definitely want you to go running anyway. Pups are selfless and loving like that. Give the winter air a good hard sniff for him, and enjoy the wind in your own fur.

I've been working half heartedly on training up my mutts to go on runs with me, they both think running is what you do to get to the good places to sniff and roll, not necessarily an end goal itself. I kind of don't want to take that away from them, they're so excited about it and I love watching them explore and have fun. So I run solo and take them on separate brisk Sniffing Expeditions (they almost count as interval runs for me, the pups barely break a pant).

*HUGS* It will get easier, but only if you keep running.
  • radhell
    Options
    Sorry for your loss. =( It is heartbreaking to lose an animal best friend/family member. Run for her! Maybe build a "shrine" to her in your house or garden, or simply a picture of her in your journal with your memories. I know this close to losing her it would be ridiculous to go out and get another dog right away, and it wouldn't feel right. But maybe when you have had some time to heal think about adopting a pup or young dog from the shelter who loves to run, and show him/her what Harley enjoyed soo much. At least you know she was lucky to have an owner who made sure she got such good excercise!
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    My sympathy. Rotties are the most wonderul dogs.
  • Dauntlessness
    Dauntlessness Posts: 1,489 Member
    Options
    We lost our golden retriever like 4-5 months ago.It was devastating but I promise you it will get better. Hang in there and I hope that in time you'll find another running partner in another dog. I am a true believer that you honor a dogs memory by giving another one a good home.

This is our new addition. Her name is Acoria :) I hope she cheers you up a little.
    Acoria12weeksold006.jpg
  • ruperthumphrey
    ruperthumphrey Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss...it is always so hard when we lose someone that we love so much and brought so much happiness and silliness in our lives. I am sure that you gave Harley a wonderful, loving and safe home, treasure your memories....
  • heaterrr
    heaterrr Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear of your loss! May your days get better as you heal. Know your buddy is still right there by your side as you run and live your everyday life <3
  • Seaglass1123
    Seaglass1123 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I am so sorry :( Reading this brought tears to my eyes. (((Hugs))) I agree with previous poster who said to bring his collar with you.
  • NavyKnightAh13
    NavyKnightAh13 Posts: 1,394 Member
    Options
    First off, I know how you feel. We adopted a basset hound and she was 5 years old when we got her (she was born and bred in a puppy mill for 5 years and when the humane society got her, she had given birth to puppies 8 weeks prior). At first, her nipples would drag on the ground and she would step on them because she had been bred so much. We had her for two years and ended up passing away the day after my birthday this year from stomach cancer (when we got her fixed, they noticed a bump in her nipples that mysteriously went away. They think that what happened was that it moved and then spread).

She was my running partner, and have very fond memories of her. I was there with her when she passed, and it still pains me. Especially when I think about the night I went into labor with our son and she had laid her head on my lap. But I also know Darcy wouldn't want me to stop running.

R.I.P. Harley, and she was lucky to have a great owner and just go running, keep her in mind.
  • mad923
    mad923 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Oh, my deepest sympathy. Nobody loves you like your dog loves you.
  • jessicathomas15
    Options
    I am so sorry for your loss, and feel your pain. My boyfriend's dog died on Friday, and she was like my own :(
    As hard as it is, it will get easier. I lost my own dog 5 years ago and time is the biggest healer! There will come a time when you can smile and think of the happy memories - I hope this brings you some comfort. It's what is helping me as I know it will be okay.

Rest in peace xxx
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I lost my little girl this year (Sept.) She was 15 and was my little kid. It's never easy to lose a loved one (person or pet) but trust me, your dog is still running with you everytime you head out for one and still smiling because you are heaven for your dog and their is no other place she'd rather be. RIP Harley
  • Defren
    Defren Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Gulp; I read all of these posts then gave my three fluffy babies a hug. My heart aches for you, I know how much I love my little friends and I can't begin to think how it will feel when I lose them.

You gave Harley a wonderful life, and as others have said, dogs are so loving and selfless, I am certain Harley will be right there with you in spirit each and every time you run.

The poem Rainbow bridge is one of the saddest but most beautiful poems around, the thought that my little fluffy friends will be waiting for me, makes whatever the future that bit easier. Just think of your girl playing with all those other fluffy babies, but leaving them when she comes to run and be with you.

I can't type any more, I can't see for tears. RIP Harley.