PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I almost always text while I'm on the elliptical... It keeps me from getting bored of the monotonous movement
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,526 Member
    Options
    Never met those.
    My gym has people busting their butts.

Think about a different gym?
    I'm a trainer. I like my gym alot, but we do live in an area (high income) where some people feel a bit more "special".

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • _CowgirlUp_
    _CowgirlUp_ Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    If you think no one is waiting on the machine you're on...you could be mistaken...I wouldn't stand around waiting for someone to finish...I would try to look busy or do something else while I was waiting so anyone that thinks it's ok to text, update MFP etc. while you're ON the machine...get your *kitten* up and do it somewhere else. Someone probably IS waiting, they just aren't being an *kitten* about it by standing over you.
  • stephdeeable
    stephdeeable Posts: 1,407 Member
    Options
    When I used to go to the gym, people weren't allowed to have phones at all. You had to leave them in your locker. Didn't bother me because I am not a phone person at all...I use my cell phone to make calls when there is no other phone available. I don't text, or use any other features on my phone, besides the alarm clock. I am like an old lady, haha.
  • DrJanet98
    DrJanet98 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    If you think no one is waiting on the machine you're on...you could be mistaken...I wouldn't stand around waiting for someone to finish...I would try to look busy or do something else while I was waiting so anyone that thinks it's ok to text, update MFP etc. while you're ON the machine...get your *kitten* up and do it somewhere else. Someone probably IS waiting, they just aren't being an *kitten* about it by standing over you.
    We need some sort of signal, then. Anyone else remember kids putting a quarter on the edge of the arcade game or pinball machine to show that they had dibs on the next game? Didn't interfere with the person currently playing, but it let them know not to just keep putting in their own quarters forever. Can anyone come up with something like that? Or should we just expect people to give some sort of indication they're waiting for the machine, or accept the consequences of not speaking up?
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm a social worker and I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I get a call/text/email on my phone while working out. I don't have the luxury of NOT taking that call or answering the text or responding to the email. Sometimes I can drop my speed and deal with my work issue without having to completely interrupt my workout. Mabye before vilifying everyone as "lackluster" you could realize that some of us aren't professional exercisers and have things to attend to outside the gym. That said -- basic gym etiquette should always apply in that if you are waiting for a machine you smile and nicely ask them about how much longer they'll be. And if you aren't waiting for their machine it's really none of your business how they are working out.
    Sorry you feel offended, but I'm more than sure that I'm in a gym longer than you and see much more on how members workout on a daily basis. This is observations that I make and I am addressing people who are possibly unaware that they are doing it.
    There's no issue with people who use there phone as a tool to assist while they work out, it's the ones who use their phones and are distracted by them and not focusing on the task at hand. Point is if someone is there to workout, then workout. Save the rest for later. Put the best effort forward. I see people complain that they can't change their bodies, and they SWEAR up and down to me that they work out hard, then I see these are some of the same people jacking around on their phones during the time they are working out.
    If they aren't on call, aren't expecting a call, don't need to make a call, then all I'm saying is stow it for an hour. It's not the end of the world if one does.

IDEA Fitness member
  • anzi888
    anzi888 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    I don't think OP was talking about a 5 second use of your phones. He's talking about people who sit there forever and ever and play on their phones while other people wait for the machines. It's OK to take breaks between sets, change songs, put the timer on, etc. but not have a 10 minutes text conversation.

ADDED: If you need to take a call, that's fine but if it's longer than a 1-2 minutes please step away from the machine, have your conversation, do whatever you need to do and finish your workout after.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    We need some sort of signal, then. Anyone else remember kids putting a quarter on the edge of the arcade game or pinball machine to show that they had dibs on the next game? Didn't interfere with the person currently playing, but it let them know not to just keep putting in their own quarters forever. Can anyone come up with something like that? Or should we just expect people to give some sort of indication they're waiting for the machine, or accept the consequences of not speaking up?
    Lol, put your phone beside it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
    This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
    Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
    Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

IDEA Fitness member

So true!! Especially when I can hear the damn game your playing lol
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    yessss x a million. also just put the damn phone away in general.
  • CincinnatiDEIFan
    CincinnatiDEIFan Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p

This is me!
  • OfficiallySexyVal
    OfficiallySexyVal Posts: 492 Member
    Options
    I agree, when in the gym I leave my phone in my locker! When I work out, I really want to burn so I leave the phone behind!
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I answered a phone call at my gym once.... I was on a treadmill doing my 'cool down' walk and I only took the call because it was a work emergency... sorry lol
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    I REALLY do NOT want to hear the gossip and crap that goes on in the gym. If I can hear someone talking on their phone OVER my earbuds, it pisses me off. I want to tell them to STFU.
  • savlyon
    savlyon Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I'm a social worker and I'm on call 24/7. Sometimes I get a call/text/email on my phone while working out. I don't have the luxury of NOT taking that call or answering the text or responding to the email. Sometimes I can drop my speed and deal with my work issue without having to completely interrupt my workout. Mabye before vilifying everyone as "lackluster" you could realize that some of us aren't professional exercisers and have things to attend to outside the gym. That said -- basic gym etiquette should always apply in that if you are waiting for a machine you smile and nicely ask them about how much longer they'll be. And if you aren't waiting for their machine it's really none of your business how they are working out.
    Sorry you feel offended, but I'm more than sure that I'm in a gym longer than you and see much more on how members workout on a daily basis. This is observations that I make and I am addressing people who are possibly unaware that they are doing it.
    There's no issue with people who use there phone as a tool to assist while they work out, it's the ones who use their phones and are distracted by them and not focusing on the task at hand. Point is if someone is there to workout, then workout. Save the rest for later. Put the best effort forward. I see people complain that they can't change their bodies, and they SWEAR up and down to me that they work out hard, then I see these are some of the same people jacking around on their phones during the time they are working out.
    If they aren't on call, aren't expecting a call, don't need to make a call, then all I'm saying is stow it for an hour. It's not the end of the world if one does.

IDEA Fitness member

I work in a similar field as social work, and am frequently on call 24/7. Here's what I have learned...so this is more like professional advise in regard to health as opposed to commenting on the phone issue....

I can't always be other people's savior. Sometimes, it's just going to have to wait. I have to take care of me so that I am well enough to help other people. Feeling the need to be available to someone 24 hours a day is not healthy, it is a form of co-dependency.

There are times when you are expected to answer the phone. Maybe you have a weekend on call shift that isn't every weekend. That's understandable. But if you are available to people 24/7/365 they take you forgranted. At some point your family feels used and starts to object... and so does your body.

I'm not trying to criticize you at all. I just want to encourage you to be in the moment, focus on what you are doing and let the emergencies happen later, after you have taken care of yourself. :flowerforyou:
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Agreed OP. I workout with my iphone music and if I get " the call" I step off the eqiuipment.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I REALLY do NOT want to hear the gossip and crap that goes on in the gym. If I can hear someone talking on their phone OVER my earbuds, it pisses me off. I want to tell them to STFU.
    Glad to see me back Bry? You're looking great as usual!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Bakkasan
    Bakkasan Posts: 1,027 Member
    Options
    My peeve is people yapping loudly on their phones. I like to make a fake conversation and talk even louder while looking at them. Try it, it's fun!
  • IpuffyheartHeelsinthegym
    Options
    Glad to see me back Bry? You're looking great as usual!!!!

IDEA Fitness member

Did you disappear? If so, then, yes. And, thank you!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym.

Problem solved!

^^ This