Water intake, Does Tea count and Coffee???

Options

Replies

• carolmsb
    carolmsb Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    "The Panel on Dietetic Products, Nutrition and Allergies from the European Food Safety Authority (EFSA)* has issued a Scientific Opinion on Dietary Reference Values for water where the following reference values for total water intake are considered (see table). Note that the amount of water that is deemed adequate includes water from drinking water, beverages of all kind, and from food moisture and only apply to conditions of moderate environment"

Note that the amount of water that is deemed adequate includes water from drinking water, beverages of all kind, and from food moisture ."

with this criteria- the answer is YES to the op.
  • Elma1975
    Options
    Tea is practicly water as long as you don´t add milk to it.

rut roh...what happens?

does the milk drink the water?
    Ohh you are so funny....if you add milk it becomes milk thinned out with water
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

rut roh...what happens?

So? Why wouldn't it still count?
  • MissLuana
    Options
    [/quote]

DT2ru.gif

So, when you drink water with a meal, what part of the stomach does the water go into so that it doesn't mix with everything else. I don't want my body to confuse the water I drink with any of the other garbage in my stomach.

Also, what magical properties does tea have to zap all of the water out of the pitcher? I KNOW I put water in there...a whole lot of water with very little tea.
    [/quote]

:laugh: :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • Schmelvie
    Schmelvie Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Here's why I don't count tea and coffee...

Water is just very good for your body, and in my opinion you can't get enough of it. So if I'm just logging the water I drink, and I focus on getting 10-16 cups per day, then any other water I get is just bonus (from food, coffee, tea, milk, etc).
  • kmorganlfc
    kmorganlfc Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly - you're supposed to drink water for HYDRATION. Black tea and coffee contain significant amounts of caffeine, which is a diuretic and results in DEHYDRATION. Want to push this to extremes? Vodka is 60% water - want to count that too?

So, does coffee count as water? Only decaf. Same is true for tea, even green tea. Only herbal tea is caffeine free (as opposed to decaffeinated).

Sheesh.

If you drank only coffee and tea, you'd die of old age before you'd die of dehydration.
  • kmorganlfc
    Options

rut roh...what happens?

Or water thickened with milk..
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    can someone please put this thread in the death box?
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    ahaha this thread became even funnier!

"So, when you drink water with a meal, what part of the stomach does the water go into so that it doesn't mix with everything else. I don't want my body to confuse the water I drink with any of the other garbage in my stomach. "

the best!
  • kmorganlfc
    Options
    Everytime I turn the tap on to pour some water to drink, the sound of running water makes me want to pee. Is water a diuretic and will I become dehydrated if I pour too much of it?
  • mdhummel
    mdhummel Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I count my tea as water. I don't drink iced tea or sweet tea. Just hot water and a tea bag. I usually get the caffeine free kind so there are no calories or anything to log so why shouldn't it count as water?
  • trink68
    trink68 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    This is non sense...I was told by a nutritionist that I could count Crystal lite as water....Thinking I will take her advice...worked so far
  • catieishealthy23
    catieishealthy23 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I think the main thing is that you shouldn't log something like an Odwalla smoothie or a milkshake or a frappuccino as water ONLY, because you should be adding the calories. But the frappuccino has like a cup of water in it at least, so from there on out it's whatever you feel like is good and working for you to help you meet your goals. But as the person with the 78 calorie tea points out, you wanna be checking your nutrition labels, even when the food basically never has calories.

This is totally speculative, but I think the thing with tea and coffee, too, is when I drink a coffee I might drink a 20 ounce coffee in half an hour or so. Which, if I drank 20 ounces of water in that time, would cause the same issues. But people have a tendency to drink water more slowly, because it isn't the hot and delicious elixir of life, it is the cold-to-room-temperature and flavorless elixir of life.

This made me happy. Coffee is the hot and delicious elixir of life haha.
  • jennapony
    jennapony Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I was told that caffeinated beverages only act as diuretics when consumed in excess (5+ cups of coffee a day)

On the other hand I am not a doctor, a nutritionist, or any other type of expert so take that with a grain of salt
  • earlyxer
    earlyxer Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Don't be silly - you're supposed to drink water for HYDRATION. Black tea and coffee contain significant amounts of caffeine, which is a diuretic and results in DEHYDRATION. Want to push this to extremes? Vodka is 60% water - want to count that too?

So, does coffee count as water? Only decaf. Same is true for tea, even green tea. Only herbal tea is caffeine free (as opposed to decaffeinated).

Sheesh.

If you drank only coffee and tea, you'd die of old age before you'd die of dehydration.

If you drank only vodka, scotch, and beer the same would be true. But don't tell me that you would be hydrated.
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    does blood count as water

please reply asap urgent

Only if you are a vampire darlin :blushing:
  • ShanR77
    ShanR77 Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    Talked to all 3 Dr's i work for and all say Tea is to count as water. Usually though i just track my tea and coffee with my meals and water intake seperately
  • johnross1968
    Options
    Lighten Up Francis
  • yogicarl
    yogicarl Posts: 1,260 Member
    Options

Sheesh.

Coffee and tea cause old age? Oh no!
  • ann121212
    ann121212 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    For those that say only water is water and once you add tea or coffee it becomes a chemical compound - this is what may added to drinking water :-

Aluminium sulfate
    Ammonia (ammonium hydroxide)
    Ammonium sulfate
    Calcium hydroxide
    Calcium hypochlorite
    Calcium oxide
    Calcium/sodium poly-phosphate
    silicate
    Carbon, powdered activated C
    Chlorine Cl2
    Copper sulfate
    Ferric chloride