Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options
I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Replies

• sunflowerhippi
    sunflowerhippi Posts: 1,099 Member
    Options
    Personally I think peoples reasons change with age. When you are younger you do it to look good and enjoy life, as you get older you start to think more longer term about these goals and how they will help you later in life.

I am younger I would guess at 26, and I tend to think I can't wait to be that size again blah blah, but in the back of my mind is all the health issues my parents have (neither are obese) yet they still have lists of issues, so did my grandparents and I don't want to have that happen to me because I was an idiot now.
  • Missy123556
    Options
    Nothing wrong with wanting to look good! :)
  • gypsyrose85
    gypsyrose85 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    i am losing weight so I don't die prematurely. I know many 27 year olds don't think of that but with my list of health problems and having 5 kids I need to get healthy.
  • JenniBaby85
    JenniBaby85 Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Taken from one of my many blog entries. I remembered it, but not word for word so I just found it.

"If our main concern is appearance, and we have a lack of confidence, it is not going to happen. If we are not confident, if we only want to look skinny, then we will never succeed, because there is proof right there, that we don't care enough about ourselves to succeed. If we derive our main source of motivation from people, who are not US, then the motivation is coming from the wrong place. It won't be deep enough within ourselves to get us to where we want/need to be.
    If by some chance we get our weight down based on shallow motivation, we will still NEVER be happy with ourselves, and it will only lead us to an unhealthy life. "
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about those people who think they need to drop pounds just to fit in a smaller sized wedding dress or they do it for anybody other than themselves. Seems stupid and self-defeating, you should lose weight just for yourself and to make a lifestyle change. Thoughts?

Hmm...

Considering that one of the reasons I want to lose weight is to wear "normal" clothes, then I'd have to tell you to go stuff it! Personally, I'm sick of sifting through plus-sized "mom jeans" and stretchy pants. Everyone's reasons are their own.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    There's a wrong reason? Every person is different. What seems shallow to you may mean the world to someone else.

Don't judge.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If appearance is your only concern in losing weight, you'll most likely end up a statistic who regains the weight in a year (or 5) and then some.
  • corn63
    corn63 Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    What's it to you if someone wants to look better in a wedding dress? Maybe it's motivating to them. Just because you don't agree doesn't make it wrong. And maybe it's not self-defeating for them, but rather a GOAL. We all have goals here. "Looking good on my wedding day" is a goal.

I see nothing wrong with it and it's rather petty to call someone else's goals stupid and self defeating.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The reason is only "wrong" if the weight loss isn't long-term or done healthily.
  • _Peacebone_
    _Peacebone_ Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    If appearance is your only concern in losing weight, you'll most likely end up a statistic who regains the weight in a year (or 5) and then some.
    That's your opinion, and you are entitled to it. I'm at a healthy weight, but I'd like to lose fat and gain muscle to look and feel better about myself. My motivation is almost purely physical, and I don't think that there's anything wrong with that.
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options

False. I've been maintaining for over a year and I did it for looks.

Why do you care why other people want to lose weight?
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Where's your scientific source for this? Or is this your personal opinion?

Sounds like you're one of those girls who hate on the sluts at the bar too. Don't be that girl.
  • msacurrie
    msacurrie Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I am losing weight for someone other than myself - I am losing it for God :) nothing wrong with that!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    I've been wondering the same thing about why people create posts
  • Rum_Runner
    Rum_Runner Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    There are wrong reasons to lose weight and feel better? I'm lost!!!

Your example of "lose to fit in a wedding dress" - isnt that losing for herself b/c she wants to look good on her special day? Why is that a "wrong" reason?

Please explain the true definition of the "right" reason. B/c to me, each person is different and the reason they want to lose is valid regardless of the exact reason. Deep down its for them even if they say "I want to look good for my husband" its still for them! So there is no "right" reason - just reason enough to do something.
  • Simona40
    Simona40 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think most of us have short term and long term goals. One of my short term goals is fitting into "normal" sized clothes. Long term goal....not getting diabetes like the rest of my family.

Everyone's goals will differ. There's really no "wrong" reason to lose weight. Some people may be shortsighted but that has no effect on me or my goals.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    It's only wrong to the ones who perceive it as so.
  • meggwtw
    meggwtw Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Um. I don't hate on "sluts" at a bar, and this is totally unrelated to that. My point is that there are wrong reasons to want to lose weight if it's not a long-term lifestyle change. Doing it for a short-term goal and that ALONE is not reasonable.
  • ilovemybuggy
    ilovemybuggy Posts: 1,584 Member
    Options
    There's a wrong reason? Every person is different. What seems shallow to you may mean the world to someone else.

Don't judge.

THIS.
  • nillapup
    nillapup Posts: 204 Member
    Options

Don't judge.

^^this^^