Paul McCartney taking Kurt Cobain's Spot

Options

Replies

• rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

I was huge into Grunge music and style long before Cobain's death and no one would ever describe me as "hard-core."

Grunge was very popular among a wide range of people at that time. Heck, even my former hippie, music-snob, Baby-Boomer mother loved Grunge.

Looking back, I see the best music, the stuff that I continue to really enjoy and listen to, is pre-1987 and post-1991. The stuff in between, well, I was young and dumb and enjoyed it at the time. But I don't like it anymore.

People don't have to be "hard core" to enjoy really good music and awesome style.

:tongue:

Well you're not hard core, unless you live hard core. But the legend of the rent was *SO* hardcore!
    lol

And to me, Black will always be the best and only REAL breakup song. :-) Ten is legen (wait for it) dary.
  • Iron_Maiden
    Iron_Maiden Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I kinda hope Sir Paul sings "Rape Me".
    This would be the only way I'd tune in!
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    It was definitely *NOT* a "pop culture" thing until *after* Kurt killed himself. The pop music people hated Nirvana. It was only the hard core rockers/punks/freaks that were into grunge and alternative rock. We were the ones wearing flannel shirts and torn jeans when the "Michael Jackson crowd" was still wearing collared shirts and khakis.

I was huge into Grunge music and style long before Cobain's death and no one would ever describe me as "hard-core."

Grunge was very popular among a wide range of people at that time. Heck, even my former hippie, music-snob, Baby-Boomer mother loved Grunge.

Looking back, I see the best music, the stuff that I continue to really enjoy and listen to, is pre-1987 and post-1991. The stuff in between, well, I was young and dumb and enjoyed it at the time. But I don't like it anymore.

People don't have to be "hard core" to enjoy really good music and awesome style.

:tongue:

Well you're not hard core, unless you live hard core. But the legend of the rent was *SO* hardcore!
    lol

And to me, Black will always be the best and only REAL breakup song. :-) Ten is legen (wait for it) dary.

Yes!!!!! I was hoping you appreciate that! :drinker:
  • grawrrrr
    grawrrrr Posts: 336
    Options
    I got $50 that says no matter what they do, it will still be better than Nickelback....:laugh:

<3!
  • _Timmeh_
    _Timmeh_ Posts: 2,096 Member
    Options
    A better fit would be put Dave Grohl out front and Ringo Starr on the drums.

Keep Dave on drums and put Jack Black as singer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25Ewd_fpETI
  • warriorprincessdi
    warriorprincessdi Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I have read few different news article now. Paul and the remaining members of Nirvana are playing a NEW song they wrote together. They are not doing Nirvana covers from what I understand.... Still; an odd choice but... I have seen stranger (Eminem meets Elton John is a good place to start.....)
  • rml_16
    Options
    I have read few different news article now. Paul and the remaining members of Nirvana are playing a NEW song they wrote together. They are not doing Nirvana covers from what I understand.

This is excellent news. I can see that being very good.
  • AJ_Pete
    AJ_Pete Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Well you were a small child when they came out so....

What's your point??

Little kids don't even find out about things until they become pop culture. Your memory is also a bit fuzzier later when you are trying to remember something that happened when you were a kid, vs remembering something that happened when you were an adult.

Your memory also gets fuzzier as you get older and senile.

All I'm saying is that I wasn't around when the Mach 1 was built, but I can rebuild the engine with my eyes closed.

Age has zilch to do with intelligence.

Music, I know. You can stick to Minnie and your college years.

:laugh:

I don't know crap about engines, but I know music! (eta: Especially the music I listened to in college.)

I think the real issue is perspective. Wendy is old enough to have been very aware of what was going on culturally at that time. A 10-year-old isn't as aware and you can't look back and understand it. You didn't live it at an old enough age to feel the real emotion of it.

It isn't about being smart or dumb or having or not having taste. You just had to experience it. If you didn't, there's nothing you can do about that.

Nirvana's music would not have endured as it has if it wasn't good, no matter if Kurt lived or died. It just wouldn't.

I agree there... and I even said that 'taste is taste' in earlier posts. She is arguing for the sake of arguing, so I will feed her.

*Sigh*, I don't care about her taste in music, but facts are facts. And age has nothing to do with how a song or band makes you feel. It is pretty closed-minded to even think such a thing. Just because one wasn't around to experience it doesn't mean they can't feel or understand it.
  • transvenouspacer
    transvenouspacer Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    At least it's not Bieber.

Good point.
  • JBott84
    JBott84 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    I don't know why Dave isn't singing with a replacement drummer, but the lead singer from Seether (Shaun Morgan) would be a closer vocal match then Paul frickin McCartney... SMH...Wow.
  • rml_16
    Options
    Well you were a small child when they came out so....

What's your point??

Little kids don't even find out about things until they become pop culture. Your memory is also a bit fuzzier later when you are trying to remember something that happened when you were a kid, vs remembering something that happened when you were an adult.

Your memory also gets fuzzier as you get older and senile.

All I'm saying is that I wasn't around when the Mach 1 was built, but I can rebuild the engine with my eyes closed.

Age has zilch to do with intelligence.

Music, I know. You can stick to Minnie and your college years.

:laugh:

I don't know crap about engines, but I know music! (eta: Especially the music I listened to in college.)

I think the real issue is perspective. Wendy is old enough to have been very aware of what was going on culturally at that time. A 10-year-old isn't as aware and you can't look back and understand it. You didn't live it at an old enough age to feel the real emotion of it.

It isn't about being smart or dumb or having or not having taste. You just had to experience it. If you didn't, there's nothing you can do about that.

Nirvana's music would not have endured as it has if it wasn't good, no matter if Kurt lived or died. It just wouldn't.

I agree there... and I even said that 'taste is taste' in earlier posts. She is arguing for the sake of arguing, so I will feed her.

*Sigh*, I don't care about her taste in music, but facts are facts. And age has nothing to do with how a song or band makes you feel. It is pretty closed-minded to even think such a thing. Just because one wasn't around to experience it doesn't mean they can't feel or understand it.
    You misunderstand what I'm saying. Sure, you can love a song written and recorded decades before you were born. But you can't appreciate the cultural phenomena surrounding that song's birth.

I will never truly know what it was like in the early 1950s when rock music first took hold because I was not there. But I can still love or hate the music that came from it.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    At least it's not Bieber.

Good point.

Maybe Bieber could duet with Kesha?
  • Dead_Darling
    Dead_Darling Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    *bangs head on desk*

That's what I think of that.

I just can't believe that Dave Grohl actually asked him.

WTF was he thinking?

:noway:

Nononononononononononononononononononononononono!!
  • _the_feniks_
    _the_feniks_ Posts: 3,443 Member
    Options
    tumblr_m60rfyP3oe1rrzxebo1_1280-1.jpg

I hope this is a joke.
  • fraser112
    Options
    All i can say is im glad their still picking chunks of kurt out of a wall so he wont have to spin in his grave

tumblr_m44v95k9Y11qjhgo6o1_250.gif
  • Derpes
    Derpes Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    Ummm WHAT? That's f*ckin terrible. :: punches wall:: Kurts rolling in his grave right now.

If Kurt is rolling in his grave I cannot imagine what John Lennon and George Harrison are doing.

A lot of Paul's solo work was not the best, but give the guy some respect, he is a former BEATLE.

It's not like the Beatles were the greatest and most influential band of all time or anything, oh wait......
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    *bangs head on desk*

That's what I think of that.

I just can't believe that Dave Grohl actually asked him.

WTF was he thinking?

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member