Women get BULKY from LIFTING HEAVY?!?!

Options

Replies

• Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    Lifting is often necessary to achieve the kinds of results women specifically request advice on and exercises for.
  • firstsip
    firstsip Posts: 8,399 Member
    Options
    It's like you're not allowed to be a part of this community unless you lift heavy...

Like lifting heavy is mandatory in order to achieve any results...

Really?

:huh:

It's more like the non-scientific, societal thoughts around lifting heavy don't seem to dissipate, even on a health forum with tons of scientific research linked, anecdotal success stories posted, etc.

And many of those beliefs include people not realizing that, as a female, you can lift heavy weights and get closer to your desired look quicker and faster. You can be soft and lift heavy. You can lift and not get "cut," not even have "ripped" or super "defined" abs, but lift heavy. It's all a matter of how you tackle your plan.
  • kaotik26
    kaotik26 Posts: 590 Member
    Options
    Yes, I can understand why this gets to be a frustrating topic for fitness experts. Seems like one person learns the truth then 10 more disbelievers pop up! Stealing this BTW
  • McAlyna
    McAlyna Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'll be honest, I saw this thread and thought "Not ANOTHER one?!" So glad to find out it wasn't what I was expecting. I've seen a bit too many "I've gotten bulky!" threads over the past day or 2 :laugh:

Great post btw!

^^This

Exactly what I thought. Glad it's not.:flowerforyou:
  • _stephanie0
    _stephanie0 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Are Jamie Eason's tits real.

no..
    she had breast cancer.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I don't want a channing tatum body.

I want a Marylin Monroe bod.

BRING ON THAT 36 - 34 - 36!
    really? because it sounds like you want absolutely no curves...
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    It's like you're not allowed to be a part of this community unless you lift heavy...

Really?

It's more like the non-scientific, societal thoughts around lifting heavy don't seem to dissipate, even on a health forum with tons of scientific research linked, anecdotal success stories posted, etc.

And many of those beliefs include people not realizing that, as a female, you can lift heavy weights and get closer to your desired look quicker and faster. You can be soft and lift heavy. You can lift and not get "cut,
    not even have "ripped" or super "defined" abs, but lift heavy. It's all a matter of how you tackle your plan.

Thank you. I wanted to write something like that, but couldn't quite form the words.

Great thread by the way!

Let me add the obligatory Staci reference.
    Screen-Shot-2011-07-21-at-10.03.58-AM-570x393.jpg
    http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2011/07/21/meet-staci-your-new-powerlifting-super-hero/
  • hiker359
    hiker359 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    If the following subject is considered bulky, bring it on. Those are some hot-as-hell legs right there!

Develop-Strong-And-Powerful-Legs-With-Jump-Squats.jpg
  • Midnight_Sunshine
    Midnight_Sunshine Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I don't want a channing tatum body.

I want a Marylin Monroe bod.

BRING ON THAT 36 - 34 - 36!

I think you mean 24...

SIGH.

According to measurements from Marilyn Monroe's dressmaker:
    Height: 5 feet, 5½ inches
    Weight: 118-140 pounds
    Bust: 35-37 inches
    Waist: 22-23 inches
    Hips: 35-36 inches
    Bra size: 36D
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

Really?

It's sad that you think that you must lift heavy to be part of the community. I personally went from obese to fit without ever lifting weights. If you knew me, you'd know that. I happen to love running. I actually started lifting in an effort to protect my knees from injury in long distance runs. And why I'm so in favor of lifting is because (1) I can run further/better now; (2) I am stronger- I can do pull ups, my rock climbing has improved; (3) I no longer have flat white girl butt!; (4) I can eat more; (5) my stomach is flatter; (6) my measurements went down when I started lifting; (5) it takes less time to lift than to run 13 miles; (6) I can lift at home while baking- couldn't run and watch the oven in between sets.

Asking me to not share the wonderful that is lifting is like asking me to not say coffee is great, or that MFP changed my life.
  • 05HeatherLouise05
    05HeatherLouise05 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question, I keep seeing threads about women lifting "Heavy". What weight is considered Heavy?
    I have just gone from lifting 2kg (4.4) to 4kg (8.8lb) weights. I would have imagined "Heavy" would be 10lb and up, but I'm not sure.
  • firstsip
    Options

no..
    she had breast cancer.

Damn, at 22!
  • ironanimal
    ironanimal Posts: 5,922 Member
    Options
    Just a quick question, I keep seeing threads about women lifting "Heavy". What weight is considered Heavy?
    I have just gone from lifting 2kg (4.4) to 4kg (8.8lb) weights. I would have imagined "Heavy" would be 10lb and up, but I'm not sure.
    If you can lift it more than 8 times, it's not heavy (generally speaking).
  • CorvusCorax77
    CorvusCorax77 Posts: 2,536 Member
    Options

When I say "heavy" I mean heavy compound lifts like squats, deadlifts, etc. look up strength standards and you'll find charts that go by weight. Make sure you look at a chart for the right gender because it is wildly different for men and women.
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Make sure you look at a chart for the right gender because it is wildly different for men and women.

Whatever happened to Title IX? Damn equality.... :laugh:

Seriously....LIFT. Its pretty damn sexy
  • Stormborn25
    Options

Heavy is heavy for you - I follow a 5 x 5 programme (Squats, deadlifts, bench press, over head press, bent over row etc) done 5 reps for 5 sets. If I can get through the 5 x 5 without legitimately thinking I may pop from the effort, or I don't fail, e.g. I do 5, 5, 4, 4, 3 or anything that's not 5,5,5,5,5 then I put the weight up (by 2 - 3 kgs) for the next workout. If I think I'm going to pop I keep going at that weight till I'm not going to and then move it. I'm only pretty new to it so heavy for me would be a warm up for lots of women. But as long as I keep working hard and moving my weights up I know I'm seeing progress!
  • Ghkffb56
    Ghkffb56 Posts: 263 Member
    Options

Really?

i don't think most ppl on this site lift heavy... just saying.. i have no idea tbh.. but from what i read and see.. its not a lot.

lots of cardio if anything.... : /
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,326 Member
    Options
    looking soft is more a factor of your body fat. if you like yourself at a certain body fat percentage then there's nothing wrong with that, just make that your goal. once you reach that body fat percentage you can decide from there if you want to make other goals
  • dewgirl321
    dewgirl321 Posts: 296 Member
    Options

no..
    she had breast cancer.

Damn, at 22!
    All I can find is that she had a "cancer scare" so I'm guessing she didn't actually have cancer?
  • firstsip
    Options

no..
    she had breast cancer.

Damn, at 22!
    All I can find is that she had a "cancer scare" so I'm guessing she didn't actually have cancer?

I found some interviews where she said she had chemotherapy... but to be fair, yeah, I haven't found anything that said she had a double mastectomy or anything. I only commented because it seemed unreal to have those breasts with that body! I didn't think they were necessarily fake.

It's hard to find anything legit on her... typing in Jamie Eason is opening up the interwebs of contempt apparently.