Why do people lose weight for the wrong reasons?

Options

Replies

• yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    any reason to lose weight is a good reason

what about a 16 year old starving herself so her teacher will sleep with her?

let's not go nuts with the blanket approvals kk?
  • maqsmj
    maqsmj Posts: 697
    Options
    any reason to lose weight is a good reason

what about a 16 year old starving herself so her teacher will sleep with her?

let's not go nuts with the blanket approvals kk?

in that case she got some serious issues and need to go to the management of her school to solve it out, blaming weight lost and its beneficial for a reason like that is just not acceptable

1st rule of losing weight u always do it for your self not for others

a 16 years old in case she have a normal life activity with a balanced diet and exercise can lose weight easily, but if she cant have common sense and starving her self she needs to go and get some professional help
  • Sparlingo
    Sparlingo Posts: 938 Member
    Options
    The OP might be going a little far with this, but I think we can all agree that there are a lot of unhealthy mindsets when it comes to weight-loss. For instance, one who is trying to drop pounds for an abusive partner likely should make some life (and partner) changes rather than hope that weight loss will fix their relationship.

Outside any dangerous practices or delusional beliefs, I don't really take issue with anyone's motivations. If you're losing weight because you liked how your collarbones looked when you were a normal BMI, all the power to you.

Looking better naked is a definite motivator for me. I don't think my husband takes issue with this, and I personally don't care if a stranger does, either.
  • Jmstill300
    Jmstill300 Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    It's only wrong to the ones who perceive it as so.
    Well said!
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    Ok OP, I'll throw you a bone.

When I first started posting on here, I got into a conversation with a male user saying he was eating 800-1000 calories per day, so that he could lose 10-15lbs. for 'fashion week' or something, which was a few months away. He was very upfront about not caring that he was under-eating, and not caring about what happened to his body or weight after he reached his goal for that event. He obviously did not care about his health, or improving it at all.

That is a case in which I would state someone had the WRONG reasons.

Again..... people are confusing wrong reason with improper execution. Why he wanted to do it is NOT WRONG!!! How he went about it, was not the best method, but achieved the results he wanted (maybe/ maybe not)

WHY someone loses weight is valid regardless of the reason.
    HOW they do it may lack proper judgement.

:grumble:

Ok fine, the reason in itself of wanting to be a smaller size is not inherently wrong. You got me, you win, all the cookies for you.

But I think that someone who intends from the get-go for their weight loss to be short-term, and to potentially damage their health in the process, is in the wrong. I don't understand why someone would want to yo-yo diet on purpose (outside of bulking/cutting).

YAY....I get cookies!!

Actually no, I'm going back to my first post. "WHY someone loses weight is valid regardless of the reason." <<< I don't agree that it is ALWAYS valid. That leaves out people who are at a healthy weight for their age/height, and wish lose weight to become dangerously underweight.

*takes cookies back...*
  • estrobabe
    estrobabe Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    The reasons people do it is for motivation: a way to get a jump-start. Some people might just need that jump start. Honestly, if it was not for my brother's wedding last year, my mother would have not made a "jump-start" to get her to lose weight....Now, it's a lifestyle and she is going strong and is doing it for herself. Everyone has their reasons and I think it does not really matter what their reasons are, as long as they are taking initiative to get healthy then that is what matters.
  • MemphisKitten
    MemphisKitten Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    I think people can lose weight for any personal reason they want and we shouldn't judge them.
  • Sister_Someone
    Sister_Someone Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Everyone is entitled to lose weight for whatever reason they want! There's no such thing as a 'wrong reason' to lose weight!
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    Soggy pancakes.

@ajpete, your eyeliner is absolutely to die for. just wanted to throw that out there :)
  • HiKaren
    HiKaren Posts: 1,306 Member
    Options
    I think looking good on their wedding day is a good reason.

My reason was for the possibility of less pain, & I knew my eating habits had to change, or it was going to kill me.

But whatever reason people have, thats better than no reason at all.
  • NormalSaneFLGuy
    NormalSaneFLGuy Posts: 1,344 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a wrong reason. It would make this so much easier.
  • ddt411
    ddt411 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I want to look good naked and be able to be held upside down during sex.

And if those reasons are wrong, I don't want to be right.

This one gets my vote!
  • alladream
    alladream Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    This is earth: tons of people do tons of things for really stupid reasons. It isn't good, but it is the nature of unenlightened people, according to Buddhism. According to me, it's because a lot of people don't take 'the big picture' into view in their lives and don't know how to get happiness and avoid suffering and trouble, so they do stuff that doesn't make them happy although they would do it right if they could. Actually, that's Buddhism too, which has a good philosophy: gain insight and compassion, because everyone has suffering and doesn't want to suffer, and get to be good at being wise and compassionate and being skillful at what you do. My philosophy is 'don't be a jerk, and be decent to others and to yourself'.
  • servilia
    servilia Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If by some chance we get our weight down based on shallow motivation, we will still NEVER be happy with ourselves, and it will only lead us to an unhealthy life.

Not. I was pretty damn happy when I could fit into the dress in my profile pic lol
  • TheConsciousFoody
    TheConsciousFoody Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    I'm only losing weight and getting healthy to increase my chances of surviving the zombie apocalypse.
  • yourenotmine
    yourenotmine Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    Is losing weight for a smaller vajayjay the right reason or the wrong reason?
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I'm only losing weight and getting healthy to increase my chances of surviving the zombie apocalypse.

I just want to make sure that when I get turned during the zombie apocalypse, I become a sprinter zombie, so I have more chance of getting braiiiiiinz!!
  • KatieSChaisemom
    KatieSChaisemom Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    It kind of erks me that you think there is a wrong reason. I have had a yo-yo weight all of my life not just as an adult.. I have been a size 0 hottie and I have been and currently am an obese young person after getting pregnant being put on bedrest for the majority of my pregnancy etc. I have lost weight for my wedding because it was our day and all eyes were on us. I am losing weight for my health AND for my 15 month old son so he has a proper role model. I think you need to focus on yourself OP. Keep your eyes off my treadmill Mrs. Kravitz.
  • tomomatic
    tomomatic Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    Is losing weight for a smaller vajayjay the right reason or the wrong reason?

Careful. Don't lift heavy weights too much or you'll bulk up down their. True story.
  • RobfromLakewood
    Options
    My wife and I lost weight so we could have a three way with the monkey in the picture with us (he was curious about human sex), love the hot monkey sex.