PUT THE DAMN PHONE AWAY!!!

Options

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    I do use it to enter stuff in MFP and listen to music. Occasionally I'll even read my homework on it. However, I NEVER sit at a machine without going full force. If I can't do both I have to pick one. Texting and social media just have to wait because I can't type and move at full speed :tongue: Hate us if you want, but some of us can't workout without music or something else to distract. Without my smartphone I wouldn't be a gym junkie.
    Listening to music (have yet to work out in a gym that doesn't have music playing in the background) for preference working out, isn't the same as doing 10 reps, stopping picking up the phone, texting conversation for 2 minutes, stopping again, do another set, pick the phone, continue conversation, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • summertime_girl
    summertime_girl Posts: 3,945 Member
    Options
    Sorry, but if the gym makes me put my phone away, I might not go. I have to be accessible to clients at all times.
    Then you live for your clients. Whatever floats your boat then.

Shrug. It pays the bills.
  • ttlmallen
    Options
    Totally agree.

Besides for me, my gym time is my ME time. During that time I am pretty much only concerned with ME. Is this terrible? Not if I want to be healthy and there for my family for a long time. In most cases the call can wait an hour, or at least long enough that I can walk away from the exercise area so I don't have to share my problems with the rest of the world.
  • ToughTulip
    ToughTulip Posts: 1,118 Member
    Options
    I'll admit, I text between sets when lifting. I text on the elliptical or while jogging too.

Let the daggers fly my way xD
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    I am torn both ways on this, I don't really like cardio but my doctor prescribed it so I read while doing my treadmill time. However, for the strength training half of my workout I hate the folks who use the machines as a social media chair, the gym has chairs, move your *kitten* to a chair and stop camping the machines.
  • VanessaHeartsMasr
    Options
    I totally agree. Drives me almost as crazy as people who walk 2.0 on the treadmill and read a freaking novel. Like, WTF?

Sorry ^ Didn't mean to insult.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options
    I have my phone when I'm working out (weights AND cardio) cause I don't always remember what weight I did the other day on which machine or free weights. So, I use it to keep track. And cause of how many I do, I can't just wait til after I finish to enter it in. It takes a few seconds and is a good thing to do in between my sets. But I'm also at the gym early (right after they open) so there aren't people waiting for for the weights or machines.
  • ARHx0
    ARHx0 Posts: 32
    Options
    Can't stand when I'm waiting on equipment and people take extremely long breaks. I like working in circuits..and I have bad anxiety, I hate slow things.. so I get flustered lol. Just freaking move out of my way!

EDIT: Breaks playing on their phone I meant.
  • YoungDoc2B
    YoungDoc2B Posts: 1,593 Member
    Options
    Lol uh..do you feel better now? Sorry that people actually do things that you don't agree with.
  • funsiiz
    funsiiz Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I agree....I leave my phone in my car.....I go to the gym to get away from craziness and seriously workout.....I do say hi and talk to people alittle at the gym....but not full blown conversations.I have a limited time to workout so I get it done :)
  • orangecrayon
    orangecrayon Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Uhh....I only play games on my phone while I'm on the stationary bike? Does that count as bad? I actually probably put more effort into my workout this way. Music is in the background that I'm listening to and my legs go to the beat. It keeps me going, and if I wasn't playing I probably wouldn't put as much time on the bike as I do. (It's only about twenty to thirty minutes in my routine, but still.)
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Am I the only one who is on MFP on my phone during sex?

You're not doing it right
  • Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    here is a quarter...

go get a pack of getoveryourself
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    Agree with OP...
    BUT, if I pay for the gym, I can do what I want there. And other ppl who pay for the gym can b*tch at me if they want bc they pay also... And most times I don't go to the gym... so... its all full circle either way. lol
  • BuckeyeBabe10
    BuckeyeBabe10 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    some people use it to listen to music though.

Or maybe their updating their MFP to show what they just completed :p

^^^^ This. When at the gym I don't do just one thing, I do a bunch of different workouts and they're all different for different times and intensities. If I don't log it after I do it or during my cool down, then it doesn't get logged because by the time I get home, all the numbers run together.

I get that you mean people who show up to the gym, text and giggle and don't break a sweat, but there are people who are there to work hard and use their phone as a necessity for their workout routine (be it to listen to music, podcasts, fitness timers, fitness website logging, etc.).

Personally, I don't really even notice what other people are doing or what's going on. I'm there to work out...I do my thing, I find my machine or execute a backup workout if the machine I was looking for is all tied up, and I get out of there. If someone wants to spend $XXX on a gym membership each month/year to just hang out and text, that's their business...unfortunate business, but still theirs alone to worry about.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Who cares. I do my thing and dont worry about others. When I'm on the treadmill I may text now and again. No more different than a woman who is on a treadmill or elliptical who is reading a magazine.

That said I do get your point. If someone is holding up equipment and not being active... They need to keep it moving.
  • AEFidgets
    Options
    I live on my phone, seriously it goes everywhere with me. That being said I switch it to silent when I'm in the gym. I do take notes for lifting in it, update MFP, and I'm a parent so....... But I don't sit on a machine and use it. And I agree if I can hear you conversation over my headphones then I give you the evil look.
  • Shaolin_Papa
    Options
    In my Wellness center our gym policy is that members can't converse on the gym floor on their phones. There are signs posted saying that if they have to talk to someone, to go downstairs and into the main lobby. Haven't had an issue with it.

What I do have an issue with is people who #$&*ing text, play, stare etc. on their phones while occupying a piece of equipment for 10 minutes to do 3 sets with lackluster effort.
    This is why I have all my clients put their phones on "SILENT".
    Do yourself a favor..............................put the damn thing away for an hour. Your personal life won't change in that hour, but your body can.
    Put it on silent, leave it in your pocket..................................and get to work!!!!

Rant done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Pointing out the errors of others only shows insecurity (as does listing all your credentials, btw).

It's very dangerous to give attention to the things we dislike in others...Once we start, how can we ever stop? Work out and go home.
  • tyraskanks_
    Options
    I use mine while I'm on the elliptical or any other machine that is used for cardio and I'm on for an extended time.
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    when i had a gym membership I use to leave my phone in my locker. problem solved