"You're so lucky,,,"

Options

Replies

• RunsOnEspresso
    RunsOnEspresso Posts: 3,218 Member
    Options
    I used to have a best friend that was obese, maybe bordering on morbidly obese at times, and when we'd go out to eat she would always tell me that I was lucky that I could eat what I wanted and not gain. The only reason I could was I watched what I ate at the time and was running.

She was always looking for that miracle cure, like a certain "diet" was going to be the cure. Problem was she still ate/binged on her gluten-free, vegan diet.
  • mommyshortlegs
    mommyshortlegs Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    They'll never understand until they've done it/been there too.
  • LadyIntrepid
    LadyIntrepid Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    The latest phrase in my family is "it is sooo much easier to lose weight when you are young." I'm not that young at 35 and it isn't easy. I've worked my butt off. I would love to see how easy they think my workouts are and watch every bite of food. It would be "easy" for them too if they did the things I have done. As you can tell, this has been driving me nuts. Frankly, I find it insulting and almost like an attempt to diminish my accomplishments.

I'm 50. And in shape. And I work hard for it. Is it harder than it used to be? Yup. But so what? Your hard work shouldn't be diminished by the excuses of others. It is insulting. When folks say that kind of thing, they just want an easy (read: lazy) way out. There are plenty plenty of people at 35 -- or younger -- that are waaaaayyyy out of shape. You work hard to stay fit and healthy at any age. Being of a "certain age" myself, I would tell those family members, gently, kindly, to stuff it.
  • ShreddedTweet
    ShreddedTweet Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    I get this all the time! And I get, 'What would you know, you've never been overweight'.... Yes, yes by all means ask the 200plus people about proper nutrition, they're the ones 'in the know' clearly. It's not luck that I go out of my way to eat well and move around...it's a choice!
  • bryanamb
    bryanamb Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well said, Jonsie86! I've done 7 rounds of P90X, 2 rounds of P90X2, rounds of Insanity, Insanity: Asylum (Vol.1), TurboFire, Body Beast, and Taapout XT. Soon I will be starting Les Mills Combat. I've been keeping a daily food journal since August 2008, keeping my caloric intake under 3,000 cals/day, and drinking a gallon of water/day. I guess I'm just REALLY LUCKY. Oh wait, maybe I just but my chops like everyone else on this board. Chance & luck favor the prepared.
  • Schraudt814
    Schraudt814 Posts: 496 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree- my favorite is "You dont need to order a salad, you're fine"...well thank you for the compliment BUT if I didnt eat the way I do I would not be fine...
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    I hear the word "genetics" being thrown around more than "lucky". I guess they're both related.

Gotta love the "genetics" remark. Let's see, an uncle died of a heart attack at 41, an aunt died during open-heart surgery at 40, another aunt died at 48 from heart and kidney failure associated with morbid obesity, another aunt died of breast cancer at 43, my maternal grandma died of heart failure in her early sixties, my paternal grandma died of diabetes-related illness in her early-sixties, my paternal grandpa died of lung cancer in his early fifties even though he never smoked a cigarette in his life, and my sister had gastric by-pass. Did I mention I had cancer?

Would love to have different genes and luck, but I don't, so hard work and dedication are going to have to do if I plan to live to see grandchildren. I'm positive that it's the same with a good number of people on this site. It's why we are on here.
  • LaMujerMasBonitaDelMundo
    Options
    No one said that to me in my whole life even when I was a thin kid.
  • quitter1973
    quitter1973 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Has anyone ever said that to you about being in shape, losing weight or the way you look in general? "You're so lucky you're skinny..it's just so easy for you..." I'm so lucky? So easy? Yes..I was so lucky that one day I watched a P90X infomercial, called and ordered it, stopped making excuses, peeled myself outta bed every effin day sore muscles and all and gave it everything I had. So lucky that I started shopping and eating different, that the 9 inches I lost just fell off with no effort (factious). I had the drive, determination and dedication to change something I didn't like. Last I checked, that was called willpower - not luck.

Sorry...I just hate when people are sitting on their *kitten* elbow deep in a Lay's chip bag drinking Coca-cola telling me "how lucky I am"....

It's a compliment- the are saying you ARE fit and pretty. Like you don't even have to work at it. Even if you really do it is a compliment. It's like telling somebody they are beautiful, you don't say "wow you really know how to apply makeup."
  • liesevanlingen
    liesevanlingen Posts: 508 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the "You're so lucky you don't have kids, you have all the time in the world to workout and cook healthy food, etc...". Really?!? What you don't know is I've lost weight because my husband and I have been trying to get pregnant and couldn't due to my weight! I don't understand how people can blame not working out and eating healthy on having kids, if you're dedicated I believe you'll find the time.

I find it horrible that someone would say that to you! You know what? I have FOUR kids and I still workout and eat (mostly) healthy. Actually my kids give me MORE incentive, (a) because I have to keep up with them, and (b) I want to be around and healthy when my grandchildren arrive.
  • jenbit
    jenbit Posts: 4,289 Member
    Options
    I get your young so its easy to lose weight at your age. I'm 32 not 12 lol... But I just nod and smile.

The one that got me happened yesterday though this lady told me she loves to eat and hates to work out which is why shes fat (her words not mine) Then she said you must not like food... I told her I love food and I love working out cause I can eat more. She just looked confused
  • PoleDancerJessica
    Options
    About six years ago, I lost 50 pounds, which I have managed to keep off within 5 pounds or so. Now I would like to tone up and lose about another 10, nothing drastic. But, if I mention to the much-larger-than-me sister and sisters in law that I am on MFP, I inevitably get responses to the tune of, "Why? You don't need to lose any more weight! I'm the one that needs to lose weight!". I always offer to help--let's join together, go to the gym together, etc....and I mean it. Not easy to do this alone, is it? But there's always some excuse about why they can't do what I did or am doing. So, the "you're so lucky" doesn't irritate me, the pious responses to the efforts I make do....as in, "Well, I would love to, it must be nice to have that much free time". Clearly indicating that although all of us have kids, spouses, and full time jobs, somehow I am shorting my family of time with me when I am taking care of myself. I believe that, "I was a woman before I was a wife, and a wife before I was a mother, and sometimes it's okay for things to come in that order", but even with a lot of perseverence and self-confidence and the support of a husband that enjoys having the "hot" wife, it's still annoying to see the "mommy wars" crop up everywhere I turn!
  • chocl8girl
    chocl8girl Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    tumblr_mcdrns3J7l1rjsq7zo1_r1_400.jpg
  • newcs
    newcs Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I've had this happen and have the same reaction...I counted my calories every single day and still do at least 5 days a week. I work out 5x a week and make sure I'm active even when not purposely working out. I lost all my weight (about 25lbs including pre-MFP) by eating healthier with smaller portions and much of the "getting into shape" was with a 20min daily workout. So I don't buy the "I don't have time" or "it's so hard" excuses. And I'm not lucky. I'm committed.
  • islandnutshel
    islandnutshel Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    Reminds me of what Michael Jordan said about being a natural. He basically said yes I am a natural talent if you consider shooting 100 free throws before anyone shows up for practice and shoot around after everyone leaves natural then I am a natural talent.

lol
    sounds like he got tired of "You're so lucky..."

I do think it is important to answer the lucky remark with "No, I work on this everyday, and when it get's easier, I add a new exercise or learn some new healthier recipe's"
  • SylentZee
    Options
    I've had that experience somewhat. A lot of my friends ask what I did and I said "I stopped making excuses" Change what you eat, go to the gym and stick to it. Quit making the excuses you've been using to avoid it and get out there.

Simple.

Now, I do have a friend, who has been skinny all his life, 6-pack, drinks beer all the time and if he wanted to, could eat anything he wanted. Is he "lucky"? Maybe, but, do you think someone like that will be lucky in their 30s or 40s? They may be skinny but are they healthy?
  • SylentZee
    Options
    Success in anything looks so easy. What people don't see are the blood, sweat, tears, and sacrifice it took to get there.

If you're not sweating, you didn't work hard enough.

*points at the women on the elliptical with all make up and the matching outfit.*

*points at the douche that came to workout in sandals*

lol.
  • LMT2012
    LMT2012 Posts: 697 Member
    Options
    This has everything to do with where they are on their journey, and nothing to do with you. There is a pervasive attitude that there is some magic formula and folks stuck in that mode just stay fat. Just nod and say "yeah, pass the mashed potatoes"
  • mdmcmillen
    mdmcmillen Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Those are the same people that want to know the secret to weight loss. What's the secret? Diet and exercise - shhhh don't tell!
  • Weebs628
    Weebs628 Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Yes!! A friend of mine told me that once. She said she wished she could lose weight as easily as I can! I've been busting my bum and she's been turning down all of my invites to go workout with me!