Why do people hide their diaries?

Options
Just wondering why people don't publicly share their food diaries on here or even lock them with passwords? I love clicking on someone's forum post name and checking out their food diaries for comparison and learning sake but many have their diaries locked or hidden from public view. I realize many probably might not know that they have their settings on private or for friends only.. but just curious anyways. I just don't see any real negative consequences for making them public versus showing them so that others can compare and learn from them based on individual goals.

Replies

• GauchoMark
    GauchoMark Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I think the default setting is closed. You have to go in and manually open it. Most people barely get through the goals setup, much less poking around in the settings...
  • chimpoforevah
    Options
    Well hopefully this brings some public awareness to this issue and more people open up ^^
  • PriceK01
    PriceK01 Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.
  • dym123
    dym123 Posts: 1,670 Member
    Options
    I see no reason to keep mine open for people who would rather profile creep than be friends.

Agreed
  • 1shauna1
    1shauna1 Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I'm not consistent or have the time to fill it out every day. Also, as above.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.
  • ChristyRunStarr
    ChristyRunStarr Posts: 1,600 Member
    Options

I third this. My diary is open to friends but that's it. Why, cause it's how I want it to be. If someone's my friend cool, they can comment but why would I want someone I don't know/talk to/support be looking at my diary? :huh: Everyone is different so to each their own and not everyone here uses their diary to log food
  • missprincessgina
    missprincessgina Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Some people feel they can't be honest if their food diary is public. When I was younger there is no way I would let anyone look at my food diary (notebook & pen back then!). Now, I'm ok with people looking at my food diary because I've maintained a normal weight for 14+ years. I'm not saying people should look at mine for inspiration, mainly because I normally just enter breakfast, lunch and snacks but for me it works. I wouldn't want people thinking I wasn't eating dinner.
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options

This! Its personal choice! I log my diary for MY benefit. I have seen WAY too much diary criticism in the forums to EVER open mine!

Live and let live!
  • doonesbury
    doonesbury Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I don't keep mine open because I don't want any advice or accountability for my diet.

And this!!!

I am accountable only to ME!
  • I_GoT_ThIs
    I_GoT_ThIs Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Fear of being judged i'm sure. I keep mine open for the simple fact that if I ask for advice, it's hard to get if your diary isn't public. But if they are doing this for themselves which is why most of us are... I don't really think it matters. I don't understand it but that's just me.
  • darrensurrey
    darrensurrey Posts: 3,942 Member
    Options
    I couldn't care less if someone wants to view my diary. I also couldn't care less if they want to criticise the crap I often eat. I do appear to be a walking advert for Sainsbury's. Perhaps they will sponsor me if I let them know.
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends.

If people want to creep it, they can at least send a friend request so we can mutually support each other.

I'm sure some people need to hide their ****ty food habits, though :)
  • wigglypeaches
    wigglypeaches Posts: 146 Member
    Options

Well said.
  • djc315
    djc315 Posts: 585 Member
    Options
    Mine is open to friends, but not to the public.

Why should I share what I eat with people who aren't my friend and see why I might have eaten what I did if it was a bad day? Or a good day even? It isn't anyones business, unless you are friends with me on here, then I share it. (And I am actually one that won't add someone with a completely closed diary, because I don't feel you can offer full support if its closed)
  • penrbrown
    penrbrown Posts: 2,685 Member
    Options
    I eat mostly clean and gluten free. All of my foods are manually entered recipes. Wouldn't help you out anyway. :P
  • GamerGurl729
    GamerGurl729 Posts: 286 Member
    Options
    I have reasons for keeping mine closed. I wrote a whole blog about it about a month ago.

But really, how does it affect you and your weight loss goals? If people want to have theirs closed that's their business. Will not being able to see everything people eat affect your efforts in any way?
  • shiseido_faerie
    shiseido_faerie Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I don't have mine open because I keep track of a lot of other things in the little notes area that are just for me :)
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Because they don't want to hear our feedback.
  • MsNewBooty83
    MsNewBooty83 Posts: 1,003 Member
    Options
    i dont because it was causing me to over eat and binge.
    i was obsessing about logging,..then my logging was becomming dishonest for fear of judgment.
    id rather it be honest and closed than not honest and open.
    at least i know where im at for myself
    everyone else can see my progress on my ticker adn if i was asked about what i ate, i tell.
    ive actually stopped logging all together now and thats why its currently closed,
    im amanaging well without it :D