Do You Feel Sale?

Options

Replies

• aloranger7708
    aloranger7708 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    I feel safe where I live, but I'm aware that something out of the blue and unexpected could happen to me. I grew up in a very suburban part of Vermont and would walk around alone at 3am without being worried. I live in Maine now (in a beach town) and feel safe but less so, mostly because I just moved here and am somewhat unfamiliar with the way things are. I have no problem, however, walking around alone during the daytime.

I've read that after today, a lot of people want to home school their children. I completely understand that, but an incident like the one in CT is very isolated. My old elementary school in VT was in the news a few years ago for a school shooting and that was a huge deal, made national news. Luckily, no students were harmed but my first grade teacher was murdered while protecting her students:brokenheart:

After watching the news tonight, my dad also made remarks about how he's never once thought of owning a gun, but now he would consider it. There are too many "loose" people out there, and you never really know when you'll need to defend yourself.

I also went to college in an urban city in Mississippi where there were a few murders and deaths around campus. This is stupid, but I walked alone at night around there and still felt relatively safe. I guess it just kind of depends on the circumstances.
  • to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

I would argue that it is not easy. One of my college roommates got a misdemeanor ticket for drinking alcohol underage and was told that she would have to wait five years before she could even think about applying for a gun license.

Even if you are eligible, you have to go through background checks and waiting periods. Then when you do finally get approved, you cannot carry in very many places.

Ironically, schools are one of the places you are not allowed to carry. Notice how much attention a criminal intent on murder paid to that law.

But it's interesting that you'd bring up buying drugs. Heroin is 100% illegal and yeah, it is easy to get if you want it badly enough. Just like guns would be if they were banned. Once again, laws aren't stopping people from obtaining illegal items and doing bad things with them.

And yet this guy got a gun, because his mother could get a licence. The gun was easily accessible. Put it this way. If that gun wasn't just on hand, he might have killed his mother with a knife. And in that situation, it's highly unlikely that 20 children would also have died.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options
    to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

I would argue that it is not easy. One of my college roommates got a misdemeanor ticket for drinking alcohol underage and was told that she would have to wait five years before she could even think about applying for a gun license.

Even if you are eligible, you have to go through background checks and waiting periods. Then when you do finally get approved, you cannot carry in very many places.

Ironically, schools are one of the places you are not allowed to carry. Notice how much attention a criminal intent on murder paid to that law.

But it's interesting that you'd bring up buying drugs. Heroin is 100% illegal and yeah, it is easy to get if you want it badly enough. Just like guns would be if they were banned. Once again, laws aren't stopping people from obtaining illegal items and doing bad things with them.

And yet this guy got a gun, because his mother could get a licence. The gun was easily accessible. Put it this way. If that gun wasn't just on hand, he might have killed his mother with a knife. And in that situation, it's highly unlikely that 20 children would also have died.

Yes, A man in china didn't get 22 today with a knife. Check your news. After that, tell me how to solve the problem without the Gestapo going door to door.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    I live in the Uk.
    Things like your school shootings rarely, if ever happen here, since gun laws are so much stricted. Most people don't own guns. It just isn't a done thing. I sure have never owned a gun or even held one, and would never, ever wish to.
    I don't feel, therefore, at risk of being shot, but there are a lot of drug and alcohol addicts around on our streets, and a lot of them have violent tendencies, so that is always a concern for me. I am glad to not live in a place where just about anyone is allowed to own a gun. It is nuts.

The crime rate in the UK is higher than in the U.S., rapes, aggravated assault (using a weapon), strong arm robbery, gang attacks, harassment, etc.

A fire arm is an equalizer. It allows the physically weak to protect themselves.

I'd like to see figures please.

I live in Australia. Do I feel safe? Yes. Do I think we should have relaxed gun laws? No. Make it harder for these people to access guns. It's not rocket science.

Sorry, but you will have to do your own research; and remember, when seconds count, the police are just 15 minutes away.

btw My friends from Oz disagree with your opinion.

http://www.numbeo.com/crime/rankings_by_country.jsp

Well, there's the US right up there.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/news/datablog/2012/jul/22/gun-homicides-ownership-world-list

And if you read this interesting article.

There is a obviously some sort of connection between gun ownership and gun crimes.

The crime rate in the UK is higher than in the U.S., rapes, aggravated assault (using a weapon), strong arm robbery, gang attacks, harassment, etc.

Lets get specific:

Assault victims (most recent) by country

UK # 2
    Oz #3
    Canada #5
    US #9
    http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_*kitten*_vic-crime-assault-victims

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Oz #18
    U.S. not listed

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita

Rapes Per Capita

Ireland #10
    Canada #44
    US ?

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

More to follow on the UK

US #
  • to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

Yes, A man in china didn't get 22 today with a knife. Check your news. After that, tell me how to solve the problem without the Gestapo going door to door.

NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I live in Merced, California, US

Not having read the other comments, but honestly its ok to do whatever in my town so long as its daytime outside. We hardly ever lock our door, because I know for a fact that its safe where I actually live. When its night, there are certain streets that you absolutely do NOT use. I would say its getting better with more college peoples moving in here, but yeah, for the most part the thugs and stupid people hang out in certain areas at night.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I feel safe. I also carry a gun. We live in the mountains and my four-legged neighbors can be troublesome at times. Best to be prepared.

this is different they wont get your gun abd shoot you maybe racoons would

Raccoons are evil. And squirrels too, but they have much smaller hands.

Raccoons are nature's bandits. That's why they wear those masks...

How DARE you stereotype those raccoons.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Crime Rate UK vs US

Assault Victims

2.8% vs 1.2%
    Ranked 2nd. 133% more than United States Ranked 11th.

Rape Victims

0.9% vs 0.4%
    Ranked 6th. 125% more than United States Ranked 13th.

http://www.nationmaster.com/compare/United-Kingdom/United-States/Crime

• carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    Neighbor across the street is a really friendly drg dealer. He's been stabbed twice since I've lived here. Never bothered me though. Offered me a place to live when he saw my husband acting like an *** . Heard a young man get shot on the block behind us and saw him run in to his home for safety. I always say, "if you think globally, I live in a pretty great neighborhood".

That didn't stop me from panicking at work today and winning the most unproductive employee prize! I couldn't wait to be done and get to my kidsI was so glad that I'm in shape, because I ran to my little kindergarten boy, hugged him close, and cried on his perfect little head:heart:
  • Crime Rate UK vs US

Assault Victims

2.8% vs 1.2%

Rape Victims

0.9% vs 0.4%

And now show me gun related homicides.
  • keith0373
    Options

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

What is you answer? Frogmarchers?
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Neighbor across the street is a really friendly drg dealer. He's been stabbed twice since I've lived here. Never bothered me though. Offered me a place to live when he saw my husband acting like an *** . Heard a young man get shot on the block behind us and saw him run in to his home for safety. I always say, "if you think globally, I live in a pretty great neighborhood".

That didn't stop me from panicking at work today and winning the most unproductive employee prize! I couldn't wait to be done and get to my kidsI was so glad that I'm in shape, because I ran to my little kindergarten boy, hugged him close, and cried on his perfect little head:heart:

Does he put smiley face stickers on his bags of heroin ?
  • NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Crime Rate UK vs US

Assault Victims

2.8% vs 1.2%

Rape Victims

0.9% vs 0.4%

Provide the logic behind your request. Why not ask for the rape statistics comparing women raping men?

You should just concede that I am right and you are not. Guns deter violent crime & the numbers prove it.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know:) I'm a good girl:blushing: ! His customers seem happy except last year when he apparently changed his prices. It is very surprising how people have no problem yelling at him about that?!? I get tired of having to bring my kids in when all the cop cars roll up and they all swarm his house. The police helicopter can be a bummer after I put the kids to bed. It makes me mad when it wakes them up. The caution tape kind of bummed me out too!:frown:
  • MissJanet55
    MissJanet55 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    I live in Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

I don't feel fear, but I don't feel safe either. I'll walk a couple of blocks to the green grocer without locking my door. But I won't go after ten at night (crackhouses in my neighbourhood).

I honestly don't believe we can protect ourselves from the world. IMO, our lives are more fragile (and more precious), than we like to believe. Our lives can change in a moment, just by leaving the house. Nor do I believe we can protect ourselves from life by isolating and barricading ourselves. I don't know a single person who has gotten through life without making their way through challenges of some kind. We can't keep the world at bay, no matter how hard we try.

My heart aches for the people who lost loved ones today, and I can't imagine going on after losing a child in such a terrible and unexpected way. I've had violence in my own life, and I know a person can survive it. But it will change everyone it touches.

I feel I might not have been very clear, my head has been jumbled all day. I think our lives are more groundless than we wish them to be, and pretend they are. And I think that's okay. Hard, but okay.
  • Crime Rate UK vs US

Assault Victims

2.8% vs 1.2%

Rape Victims

0.9% vs 0.4%

Provide the logic behind your request. Why not ask for the rape statistics comparing women raping men?

You should just concede that I am right and you are not. Guns deter violent crime & the numbers prove it.

Correlation does not equal causation.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options

To the second question.

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Oz #18
    U.S. not listed
  • keith0373
    Options

To the second question.

Of course you give up. You are a 21 year old Uni student with big ideas, but no answers to questions that real adults have no answers to. It is a real problem that wont be solved with idealism. Your entire country's population is the same as one of our big cities and you were much more recently an intentionally disarmed colony. We have 100+ years worth of big boy weapons to deal with and certain freedoms that are guaranteed which you simply do not have.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Options
    Crime Rate UK vs US

Assault Victims

2.8% vs 1.2%

Rape Victims

0.9% vs 0.4%

Correlation does not equal causation.

Ever consider that you need more fiber in your diet?

Yawn