Do You Feel Sale?

Options

Replies

• TeachTheGirl
    TeachTheGirl Posts: 2,091 Member
    Options
    Nope. I don't feel safe in my neighborhood. A man was killed in the house behind ours a few years ago and even just today I had a guy come into the apartment building with a dog and have a shower upstairs when I knew the tenants that live there weren't home. That's not allowed under our tenancy rules and it was pretty damn creepy.
  • pudadough
    pudadough Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

I would argue that it is not easy. One of my college roommates got a misdemeanor ticket for drinking alcohol underage and was told that she would have to wait five years before she could even think about applying for a gun license.

Even if you are eligible, you have to go through background checks and waiting periods. Then when you do finally get approved, you cannot carry in very many places.

Ironically, schools are one of the places you are not allowed to carry. Notice how much attention a criminal intent on murder paid to that law.

But it's interesting that you'd bring up buying drugs. Heroin is 100% illegal and yeah, it is easy to get if you want it badly enough. Just like guns would be if they were banned. Once again, laws aren't stopping people from obtaining illegal items and doing bad things with them.

And yet this guy got a gun, because his mother could get a licence. The gun was easily accessible. Put it this way. If that gun wasn't just on hand, he might have killed his mother with a knife. And in that situation, it's highly unlikely that 20 children would also have died.

No, see, what he might've done instead is make plans for a propane bomb that would have killed an exponentially higher number of people if detonated correctly. Like the Columbine shooters made. But hey, let's ban propane and PVC pipe. No BBQ's for anyone!

The Colorado theater shooter had also planned and made bombs. With easily procured and perfectly legal materials. So LIKE I SAID, they will do it however they can. Eventually.
  • sm1zzle
    sm1zzle Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know:) I'm a good girl:blushing: ! His customers seem happy except last year when he apparently changed his prices. It is very surprising how people have no problem yelling at him about that?!? I get tired of having to bring my kids in when all the cop cars roll up and they all swarm his house. The police helicopter can be a bummer after I put the kids to bed. It makes me mad when it wakes them up. The caution tape kind of bummed me out too!:frown:

Caution tape is kind of festive. Almost like Halloween year round.
  • RhineDHP
    RhineDHP Posts: 1,025 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't know:) I'm a good girl:blushing: ! His customers seem happy except last year when he apparently changed his prices. It is very surprising how people have no problem yelling at him about that?!? I get tired of having to bring my kids in when all the cop cars roll up and they all swarm his house. The police helicopter can be a bummer after I put the kids to bed. It makes me mad when it wakes them up. The caution tape kind of bummed me out too!:frown:

Lol.
  • NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

What is you answer? Frogmarchers?

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.

Of course you give up. You are a 21 year old Uni student with big ideas, but no answers to questions that real adults have no answers to. It is a real problem that wont be solved with idealism. Your entire country's population is the same as one of our big cities and you were much more recently an intentionally disarmed colony. We have 100+ years worth of big boy weapons to deal with and certain freedoms that are guaranteed which you simply do not have.

My uni degree is in neuroscience and I'm studying zoology. So not politics. I have ideas about animals and brains.

This is not idealism. Idealism is that 'more guns will solve the issue'. Idealism is 'America is so free because we can all have guns'. There are much more important aspects to freedom. Like the freedom to send my children to school and not think they are going to get shot. The freedom to safely walk around my city and know that since no-one can lawfully carry a firearm, no normal citizen is going to snap and start shootin people up. You have one freedom that is not "guaranteed" to us and it's a freedom that we can forego.
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    to add its not attacking america like said befor it just seem you all are too gun happy in wake of what happened today he took the guns from his law abiding family then that mall shooting he stole the gun probaly by another law abiding person. i bet buying a gun is easy out there just like drugs. it just to easy

I would argue that it is not easy. One of my college roommates got a misdemeanor ticket for drinking alcohol underage and was told that she would have to wait five years before she could even think about applying for a gun license.

Even if you are eligible, you have to go through background checks and waiting periods. Then when you do finally get approved, you cannot carry in very many places.

Ironically, schools are one of the places you are not allowed to carry. Notice how much attention a criminal intent on murder paid to that law.

But it's interesting that you'd bring up buying drugs. Heroin is 100% illegal and yeah, it is easy to get if you want it badly enough. Just like guns would be if they were banned. Once again, laws aren't stopping people from obtaining illegal items and doing bad things with them.

And yet this guy got a gun, because his mother could get a licence. The gun was easily accessible. Put it this way. If that gun wasn't just on hand, he might have killed his mother with a knife. And in that situation, it's highly unlikely that 20 children would also have died.

No, see, what he might've done instead is make plans for a propane bomb that would have killed an exponentially higher number of people if detonated correctly. Like the Columbine shooters made. But hey, let's ban propane and PVC pipe. No BBQ's for anyone!

The Colorado theater shooter had also planned and made bombs. With easily procured and perfectly legal materials. So LIKE I SAID, they will do it however they can. Eventually.

You can not walk into Walmart and buy a bomb. There are many ingredients that make up a bomb...many are used in daily life. There is only one sole purpose for an assault rifle.
  • Doodlewhopper
    Doodlewhopper Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    NO FATALITIES. Check your own news.

By his choice. Any reasonably sized man could go into any kindergarten in this country and with a machete and a good knife, overwhelm the usually small but overweight teacher and kill the entire group. Probably easier with a knife than a gun. it is quieter. Or taking that away, someone intent on destruction just needs a uhaul, some diesel, and some nitrate. We have been there too.

To the second question.

What is you answer? Frogmarchers?

You know what, I give up. Somehow every other first world country manages to monitor it's gun use, I'm sure you can figure it out.

Today was a horrible tragedy, and the rate of tragedies such as this is too high in America. More guns obviously isn't working, since it's still happening. I feel for the families who lost their children so early to some psychopath who could lay his hand on a weapon so easily and to the survivors who have been scarred at such a terribly young age.

Meanwhile, I'll stay here in Australia and feel perfectly safe and without the need to carry a gun whereever I go. America should look to it's children and work out what it can do to stop this happening.

Of course you give up. You are a 21 year old Uni student with big ideas, but no answers to questions that real adults have no answers to. It is a real problem that wont be solved with idealism. Your entire country's population is the same as one of our big cities and you were much more recently an intentionally disarmed colony. We have 100+ years worth of big boy weapons to deal with and certain freedoms that are guaranteed which you simply do not have.

My uni degree is in neuroscience and I'm studying zoology. So not politics. I have ideas about animals and brains.

This is not idealism. Idealism is that 'more guns will solve the issue'. Idealism is 'America is so free because we can all have guns'. There are much more important aspects to freedom. Like the freedom to send my children to school and not think they are going to get shot. The freedom to safely walk around my city and know that since no-one can lawfully carry a firearm, no normal citizen is going to snap and start shootin people up. You have one freedom that is not "guaranteed" to us and it's a freedom that we can forego.

Dead is dead regardless of cause. Hope your big ole uni degree will help you absorb this.

Murders (per capita) (most recent) by country

Oz #18
    U.S. not listed
  • amandapye78
    amandapye78 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I live in Fort Collins Co, I do not feel safe in the middle of the night and I doubt I would no matter where I lived. Its been drummed into my head to not feel safe. I do feel safe in the middle of the day. In lieu of the days events however it will be hard to send my 6 yr old to school on Monday.
  • keith0373
    keith0373 Posts: 2,154 Member
    Options

And my degrees are in IT and Nuclear Engineering. That being said, I am a gun owner that is willing to listen, but not to extremists. I know you think that we should all just jump on with your ideas, but my college student daughter thinks I should pay for her partying too. Life is tough in the real world. Tell me your fix.

And tell me how to accomplish it without violating our right to illegal search and seizure.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I actually asked on Facebook about 3 hours before all of this, if anyone knew about how to start homeschooling. I just want to home school because of my daughters grades/peers/bullying etc. My daughter is becoming unrecognizable to me. It doesn't have to do with her up bringing... it doesn't have to do with her teachers... its just society in general, and her dipsh*t friends raised by people who didn't raise their kids the way I raised mine. Unfortunately ... the majority here are starting to be crazy *kitten* people and their kids running around like crazy *kitten* children.
    Not all of us live that way... and sadly ....SANE, NORMAL, PEACEFUL people are becoming the minority. Don't even get me STARTED on WHY!

I feel safe. Generally. There is always a spot in the back of my mind that reminds me we live in an effed up world. At any moment ... some crazy will come along and change everything.
    But I feel thats normal (sad to say.)
    I live in a good place. An affluent area, a decent school system. And still, the crazies come out. The bullies still bully. The sh*tty people still live here... in the end, nothing really changes. Roaches will over take this country. And that is all I'll say about that.
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options

You got me there:flowerforyou:
  • keith0373
    Options
    I recommend taking sweetnothing away from that mess. She's cute and has a sense of humor!

and that was a joke, she may be happily married and love living where she is :)
  • carryingon
    carryingon Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    :smile:
    I actually asked on Facebook about 3 hours before all of this, if anyone knew about how to start homeschooling. I just want to home school because of my daughters grades/peers/bullying etc. My daughter is becoming unrecognizable to me. It doesn't have to do with her up bringing... it doesn't have to do with her teachers... its just society in general, and her dipsh*t friends raised by people who didn't raise their kids the way I raised mine. Unfortunately ... the majority here are starting to be crazy *kitten* people and their kids running around like crazy *kitten* children.
    Not all of us live that way... and sadly ....SANE, NORMAL, PEACEFUL people are becoming the minority. Don't even get me STARTED on WHY!

I feel safe. Generally. There is always a spot in the back of my mind that reminds me we live in an effed up world. At any moment ... some crazy will come along and change everything.
    But I feel thats normal (sad to say.)
    I live in a good place. An affluent area, a decent school system. And still, the crazies come out. The bullies still bully. The sh*tty people still live here... in the end, nothing really changes. Roaches will over take this country. And that is all I'll say about that.

Contact your state board of education. Some states are better than others. Most areas have a great homeschooling community. There are so many homeschoolers in my area that palces like the zoo, art museum, childrens museum, and heritage museum offer classes for them:smile:
  • sm1zzle
    Options
    I recommend taking sweetnothing away from that mess. She's cute and has a sense of humor!

Living in a bad part of town will do wonders for a personality... Trust me.
  • teryx123
    teryx123 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    "feeling safe" is an illusion afforded to those who have never been victims.
  • keith0373
    Options

I grew up as a little white guy in Petersburg, VA. My personality learned to punch fast and run fast. Hehe. Nobody ever believed the little guy would hit and run.
  • ExplorinLauren
    ExplorinLauren Posts: 991 Member
    Options

I disagree.
    I've been a victim... I refuse to stay one.
  • keith0373
    Options

I disagree.
    I've been a victim... I refuse to stay one.

Amen Sista!
  • gauchogirl
    gauchogirl Posts: 467 Member
    Options
    Terrible things have been happening since the beginning of time. The big difference is that now we have faster communication networks so it seems like everything is happening in your own backyard. It's good to be prepared and run through scenarios in your mind once in a while to have a plan for those big, horrific events, but you can't live in fear. It's a fine line.

^^ this. I live in a town of about 40,000 in the center of Washington state and I USUALLY feel pretty safe. I don't take risky chances by nature, but I am rarely uncomfortable.
  • sm1zzle
    Options

I grew up as a little white guy in Petersburg, VA. My personality learned to punch fast and run fast. Hehe. Nobody ever believed the little guy would hit and run.

Thumbs up. I can relate.