alternate day fasting

Options

Replies

• tonyrocks922
    tonyrocks922 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Hi,

Is this video available online anywhere (free or for purchase)? It looks like it has been removed from YouTube
  • electraglide1808
    Options
    Hi,

Is this video available online anywhere (free or for purchase)? It looks like it has been removed from YouTube

http://www.disclose.tv/action/viewvideo/110651/BBC_Horizon_2012_Eat_Fast_and_Live_Longer/
  • time4healthyme
    Options
    bumpp
  • humbots
    Options
    Good Morning Everyone
    I have been ADF for about two weeks and I wanted to share my weight loss process, and was hoping to others progress. I stared by reading the "1 day diet" from Amazon also and while doing research watch EAT, FAST, LIVE LONGER. I did the the 1 day diet for four days drinking only proteins waters every 2 hours, but that was HARD! so on my third fasting day I tried picking my own foods up to 500 cals, using mostly rich cakes (45 cal each and good sized), and I could get them salty or sweet. That was so much easier! I think for two reasons, one i didn't have to watch the clock for every two hours, I didn't have to eat until I really need it and I could take my mind off food or eatting all together. Anyway heres my results:
    Starting weight 273 lbs
    Day 1 - 1st fast (protein waters) next morning weighted in at 268 lost 5lbs mostly water weight
    Day 2 - Normal day next morning weighted in at 267 lost 1 lbs, eat totally normal!
    Day 3 - 2nd fast (protein waters) next morning weighted in at 265 lbs lost 2 lbs
    Day 4 - Thanksgiving next morning weight in 265 lbs
    Day 5 - Couldn't resist thanksgiving left overs so no fasting next morning weigh in 266
    Day 6, Day 7, Day 8 - no fasting, no dieting, no watching what I eat! weighted in at 270 the next morning gained 5 lbs
    Day 9 - Fast ( only 500 cal using rice cakes) next morning weight in 268 lbs lost 2 lbs
    Day 10 - Normal eating day, next morning weight in 268
    Day 11 - Fast (500 cal) next morning weight in 264 lost 4 lbs
    Day 12 - Normal eating , next morning weight in 264 1 lbs
    Day 13 - Fast (500 cal) , next morning weight in 263 lbs
    Day 14 - Fast (500 cal) , next morning weight in 263 lbs no lost
    Day 15 - Normal , next morning weight in 263 lbs
    Day 16 - Fast (500 cal) next morning weight in 262 , lost 1 lbs
    Day 17 - Normal, next morning weight in 262
    Day 18 - Fast (500 cal) , next morning weight in 261
    Day 19 - Normal, next morning weight in (This morning, today) 263 , gained 2 lbs

I started to see a pattern after I dropped the all the water weight on the first two fasting days, it was about 1 lbs after a fasting day and not weight gain or lost on normal days. Yesterday was an exception because I don't normal work out at all, and I ended up dancing for 2 hours with my kids, so that kinda counts as a workout.
    I am going to keep going, but maybe I will stop weight myself every day, I just need to know that what I am doing is work, and it looks like it is. And at a good rate. in 18 days i went from 273 to 261 that's a total of 12 lbs.
    I plan on trying to do some form of exercise each day. I will keep everyone posted on my progress.
  • RawrWolfie
    RawrWolfie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    i also reccomend alternate day fisting

LMFAO!!
  • AmberAlicia82
    Options
    I do fasting as well, and it seems to work well. I usually eat less calories M-F, about 600-900 calories a day, and I fast from 1pm to 1pm 2 days out of the week. I eat whatever I want on the weekends, and so far this seems to do the trick.
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    bump
  • b1tz3r
    Options
    I'm still digging through all of the posts, but does anyone (still following this) have any experience/anecdotes about IF/ADF with keto?
  • humbots
    Options
    I am still here and going strong!
  • lozzieemay
    Options
    I used to do something similar to alternate day fasting... I basically ate very low cals Monday to Friday, and would on average eat 900 cals a day.. then on weekends I'd eat what I wanted, literally anything & everything. I lost weight, a lot of it and very quickly - 4 stone in 4 months.

Admittedly, it's now 12 months later and I've gained 6 stone. I soon lost some willpower and when Sunday was over I wouldn't get back to 'fasting' during the week, and so days off would spiral on and on, and here I am - 6 stone heavier.

I'm torn between doing my old regime again, or just plain old calorie counting & sticking to a set limit of 1500 a day. I'm a very impatient person so I would like to lose the weight as quickly as possible, but I more than anything want to keep it off.. so it's a toughie.

I could probably manage 500 calories, I think.. But how many days would I fast for & how many days off would I have?
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    after a 26 month plateau, I lost 11 pounds in the last 6 weeks thanks to AD-IF
  • alsaxon
    alsaxon Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • Aljos
    Aljos Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I am doing the 5:2 fasting and it helped me break my plateau. After 2 weeks I have lost 2 lbs. I am eating 1000 calories on the fasting days and 1800 on regular days. Probably I will try to do 500 calories since most of you had success in doing it.
  • Jojo42
    Jojo42 Posts: 223
    Options
    Bump as I've just started today doing alternate day fasting. 500 cals on down days and up to 1500 on feast days.
  • Rumik
    Rumik Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    I'm starting this today too - I'm doing fasting 2 days, eating normally the rest. Has anyone had success with this variation? Planning to just eat dinner, so it doesn't impact my wife or daughter. Anyone else spending all the calories at once?
  • vanguardfitness
    vanguardfitness Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    I do. I can generally get about 1500 calories in about 15 minutes. To get 2000 it takes another hour or 2
  • Mcgrawhaha
    Mcgrawhaha Posts: 1,596 Member
    Options
    definately not for me... my husband says i become evil when im hungry... i think he and the kids would leave me before the week was up... ill stick to my low cal diet with 2 refeed days a month!

i do 1200 calories a day for 14 days
    then i have up to 100% over my maintenance calories, which is 4000 calories on the 15th day

it averages out to 1386 calories a day, over the month...

i designed this for myself, to fit my lifestyle, my personality, and my family... it works for me, thats whats important! ive lost a steady 2 pounds a week since september... went from 246 to 197 since september, and its still coming off!

i like it because...

1) i have learned to manage 1200 calories very well and have learned many ways to cook huge meals that are high in nutrient but low in calorie, and...

2) i like that i can plan special events around those 2 days a month, and not have to worry about counting calories. if im craving something that i normally cant eat when trying to stay within my 1200 calories, then i wait until one of those 2 days, and have something to look forward to... i have 5 kids, and they do like to indulge, and its fun that i can still do it with them... so its just planning for me...

so, while its not for me, if this alternate day fast works for any of you, more power to you! im excited to hear about everyones results! sounds very interesting, and while its definately not for me, im sure this will be perfect for others! good luck!
  • fivepence
    fivepence Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Bump for later
  • Rumik
    Rumik Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Can I ask any weight training experts out there whether I should be avoiding training on my fast days?
  • fivepence
    fivepence Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have been doing ADF for a few weeks now (not always religiously!) And I was wondering what everyone's opinion of eating back exercise calories on fast days was? Does that defeat the purpose of the fast and therefore it's health benefits or not? Any opinions would be greatly appreciated :)