Do you think that thin people hate fat people, and why?

Options

Replies

• primadonnah
    Options
    I know quite a few 'fat' people, some of them I really like going out with, others I can't stand communicating with, but what puts me off or makes me like someone is their personality. I wouldn't ever treat somebody bad just because of their weight, but unfortunately there are many people who do that :(
  • smsgrl2009
    Options
    I am not the one who claimed to be at a hiring level..so no, my grammar doesn't have to be perfect..and I read the post, she said she did it and assumed it would be too much..its illegal to pass on people because of weight unless there is a posted weight limit..ie equipment limitations and such..being overweight doesn't make you out of shape..and its wrong to assume it..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I'm thin, but I don't hate fat people. People who hate someone based purely on weight are sh*theads.

And actually, I'd say there's a lot of fat people who hate or feel resentment towards thin people.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I am not the one who claimed to be at a hiring level..so no, my grammar doesn't have to be perfect..and I read the post, she said she did it and assumed it would be too much..its illegal to pass on people because of weight unless there is a posted weight limit..ie equipment limitations and such..being overweight doesn't make you out of shape..and its wrong to assume it..

Only people at hiring level should have perfect grammar?

At any rate, if you're going to criticize someone's grammar, regardless of whether you hire people, yours ought to be perfect.

You don't know for what that person hires so you don't know if weight is an issue.
  • Ibelievenme2
    Ibelievenme2 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    As a person that use to interview people for jobs, I pass over heavy weight people!
    I was over weight myself and knew how hard the work would be for a obese
    person and rejected them.

As a person at the "interviewing level", one would assume you could use correct grammer...perhaps they should have passed on you!

I'm all for putting rude people in their place (though I think in this case it maybe was for a particularly physical job so weight might be a factor), but you spelled grammar wrong and the comma should be inside the quotation mark. And that ellipses really doesn't belong there.

If you're going to correct someone else's grammar in a post, you should probably be sure your correction is perfect.
    bump
  • threeonethree
    threeonethree Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I get some pretty nasty looks out in public sometimes. Kinda sucks. Not sure if its because im ugly or fat or both? lol

It drives me to work harder losing weight, but also hurts.
  • ChadB74
    ChadB74 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    People can be very judgmental. There are thin people who judge overweight people, overweight people who judge thin people, thin people who judge other thin people, and overweight people or judge other overweight people. Too often people spend time worrying about the flaws of others, instead of looking at their own flaws.

It's not fair to say thin people hate fat people. That is too broad of a generalization. We just seem to live in a world where everyone is judged.

What she said
  • SeaJenni
    SeaJenni Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    When I was skinny, I got bullied by the fat girls. A lot of big women use their size to intimidate smaller women. They can be really mean and scary. Once I gained weight, women became a lot nicer to me, socially, although the weight had a negative impact on my career and the service I receive in restaurants and stores. I've had friends in all sizes, but usually I have to practically be a total kiss *kitten* to win over the bigger girls. In real life, anyway, it can be exhausting. On MFP, I don't get that; and it has been a very nice experience.

Edited to omit quote, because it wasn't exactly what I was trying to say.
  • katemateg
    katemateg Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I get some pretty nasty looks out in public sometimes. Kinda sucks. Not sure if its because im ugly or fat or both? lol

It drives me to work harder losing weight, but also hurts

You are not ugly. Build your confidence in any way you can. Size isn't everything. :flowerforyou:
  • DawnieB1977
    DawnieB1977 Posts: 4,248 Member
    Options
    I think you will always get judgemental people, whatever their size, and for many different reasons. Putting yourself in the public eye like the news anchor invites all kind of people to think they can give their opinions. I'm sure plenty of celebs get hate mail, but just don't choose to go public about it. She chose to draw attention to it, and there was of course a massive outcry of 'OMG they've insulted someone fat'.

Of course, had they complained because of her ethnic origins it would've been seen as some sort of crime I imagine. Fat people do seem to be fair game.

Personally if I did a job where I was on TV I would make sure I was slim!

I'm a teacher at a secondary school and kids can be unbelievably rude and cruel, to each other and to teachers! I am pleased to say that I have been called 'skinny' and asked a few times where I buy my clothes by my pupils, and the vain part of me is pleased that the kids don't see anything to insult!

We recently had an issue where 2 girls had been making racist comments to a girl. This was treated seriously. The 2 girls in question are both a bit chubby (although not fat) and have red hair and both are teased for this. Funny that no-one takes that teasing seriously.

I wouldn't call myself thin now, but I wouldn't call myself fat. I don't hate fat or thin people, although since being so self-conscious I think I do notice people's flaws more now, so even skinny people who have higher body fat percentages. I just think everyone should get off their ar*e and do some exercise lol.
  • yksdoris
    yksdoris Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Weirdly, I never did judge people based on how heavy they were. Not when I was a skinny teenager and not when I was heavy adult. However, once I LOST all that weight, I do feel judgmental at heavy people who are not doing anything about it. It's really weird, it's a new emotion (maybe 4-5 months that I've been thinking like this?) that I haven't had before and I haven't (yet) gotten it processed to the point that I can look at a big person and think of them as just a person again rather than "oh what a slob, they're not even trying"

Honestly, right now I'm ashamed of myself. It is hard, I know first hand. It is hard to acknowledge the problem, to take responsibility of one's body, to work on improving it. The first step is hard, keeping it up is even harder... So why am I feeling so mean towards people who haven't gotten to that point in their lives yet? Even the ones who are genuinely happy with their weight?

Maybe it's that I lost the weight and it was not all daisies, but it wasn't nearly as hard as I had been afraid of in advance, and I just want everybody to do it too? Or could it be something uglier: that I'm now *proud* of my body and therefore think that the bodies of fatter people are not as good as mine, and therefore those people are not as good as me??? I don't know :( and it's really upsetting me that I'm thinking these things because, as I said, I never did before. But I suppose realizing that it's not ok is the way to fix it, right? And I now take extra care to not let it out where people can see!

Edited to add: though I feel exactly the same as I always did at heavy people trying to lose weight. as in, they're just people...
  • AntWrig
    AntWrig Posts: 2,273 Member
    Options
    As a person that use to interview people for jobs, I pass over heavy weight people!
    I was over weight myself and knew how hard the work would be for a obese
    person and rejected them.
    Cool story.
  • My0WNinspiration
    My0WNinspiration Posts: 1,146 Member
    Options
    people hate people for all kinds of reasons. some are legit, some are stupid. Either way, it's human nature.

THIS
  • Natashaa1991
    Natashaa1991 Posts: 866 Member
    Options
    ok I am thin. I don't hate fat people but i hate the fact that people tell me "eat! you poor creature!" (again, i am not anorexic, i just want to get a vs model's body) and always making fun of me for being too skinny, BUT if you tell a fat person "start taking care about yourself,eat less and go work out" they would get extremely angry and it's not socially acceptable for some reason!
  • alli_dalli
    alli_dalli Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I have to confess that when I was young and superslim I was obnoxious and had the cheek to believe that fat people must eat an awful lot. In those days, yes, I did look down my nose at fat people and believed they were lazy and didn't look after themselves. Then at the age of 40 when I put on about 150lbs in the space of a couple of years... well, then I learned! Its only ignorance and a lack of understanding. But generally I don't think the statement is true.. Hopefully!
  • invincible_summer
    Options
    I've always been relatively slim and I don't hate fat people.

Besides, I know that being slim has no effect on that person's quality of life or mood in reality. It's completely unimportant.

Edit: Over the years I've had two former friends who both openly hated fat people. Both of them male, one straight and one gay. I think really they hated the amount of effort they had to put into their own exercise and dieting. Both of them are obviously over weight now, which is kind of karma.
  • likepepsicola
    likepepsicola Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Some do. Some don't. I personally don't. I used to be fat and I know how much it sucks. I was mocked and made fun of when I was heavy and it's not a good feeling.
  • anemoneprose
    anemoneprose Posts: 1,805 Member
    Options
    what firedragon said.

VV
  • zachatta
    zachatta Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Being overweight does carry a negative stigma.

I know from experience, I blew up to 270 lbs and now I am where I am.

It is like night and day how people treat you. Coming from all genders.

That being said, it is reality. You simply deal with it. I don't "hate" overweight people, but people tend to look down on them.

Such is life.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    FEAR! They afraid that they may gain weight.