Paleo eating?

Options

Replies

• Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

So you're losing weight now, on Paleo, while also eating a calorie surplus?

Nope I eat in a calorie deficit because i no longer have UNCONTROLLABLE HUNGER, bingeing, chronic pain, fatigue, etc etc etc. Is it even possible to over eat on a ketogenic form of paleo/primal? Because as long as I keep my carbs low, I don't overeat, without even trying not to. Go figure. So, no, I can't stay in a calorie deficit when I am eating lots of unhealthy food. Imagine that.

So, when you were calorie counting and eating low-fat you were binging and eating a surplus and not losing, now you are not bingeing and are eating a deficit and are losing. That doesn't really = special.

You had cravings that you felt unable to control. Now you've found a way of eating that eliviates the need to control the cravings, which makes this diet a good fit for you.

I agree. I am not special at all. But some people want to call me a "special snowflake" and now I'm embracing the idea.

The bingeing and craving did not develop until after years of low fat/low calorie dieting. At times, in my youth, it seemed that I was being "successful" counting calories and portion controlling for short period of times. But over time, it damaged my health and I have done 20 years of personal experiments to explore what I eat versus exercise versus weight loss. No, I didn't "feel" unable to control cravings. I AM unable to control cravings when eat certain kinds of foods. It's not about control and lack of willpower, but nice try.

Nice passive aggressiveness, by the way. But if it makes you feel better to think that I choose this lifestyle due to my perceived lack of control, then so be it. :drinker:

Edit: I think that you weren't trying to be passive aggressive possibly, but you did make light of my experience and tried to attribute it to issues of control, or lack of. Craving, binging, depression etc are just as physiological as the other medical issues I have resolved. It's not psychological or merely a matter of willpower for me and many others. Really.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit DOES NOT work for everyone!! Been doing that for years and I haven't lost a pound

This is false. You are not a special snowflake. Calorie deficit = weight loss. You are making a miscalculation somewhere.

Yes, I am a "special snowflake", by your standards, and so are other people that have experienced the same health improvements from a paleo/primal lifestyle. Stick to what YOU know. I did many years of low fat calorie counting and in return, I developed a body that became very effecient at NOT burning calories.

Nope I eat in a calorie deficit because i no longer have UNCONTROLLABLE HUNGER, bingeing, chronic pain, fatigue, etc etc etc. Is it even possible to over eat on a ketogenic form of paleo/primal? Because as long as I keep my carbs low, I don't overeat, without even trying not to. Go figure. So, no, I can't stay in a calorie deficit when I am eating lots of unhealthy food. Imagine that.

So, when you were calorie counting and eating low-fat you were binging and eating a surplus and not losing, now you are not bingeing and are eating a deficit and are losing. That doesn't really = special.

You had cravings that you felt unable to control. Now you've found a way of eating that eliviates the need to control the cravings, which makes this diet a good fit for you.

I agree. I am not special at all. But some people want to call me a "special snowflake" and now I'm embracing the idea.

The bingeing and craving did not develop until after years of low fat/low calorie dieting. At times, in my youth, it seemed that I was being "successful" counting calories and portion controlling for short period of times. But over time, it damaged my health and I have done 20 years of personal experiments to explore what I eat versus exercise versus weight loss. No, I didn't "feel" unable to control cravings. I AM unable to control cravings when eat certain kinds of foods. It's not about control and lack of willpower, but nice try.

Nice passive aggressiveness, by the way. But if it makes you feel better to think that I choose this lifestyle due to my perceived lack of control, then so be it. :drinker:

Edit: I think that you weren't trying to be passive aggressive possibly, but you did make light of my experience and tried to attribute it to issues of control, or lack of. Craving, binging, depression etc are just as physiological as the other medical issues I have resolved. It's not psychological or merely a matter of willpower for me and many others. Really.

I was not trying to be passive aggressive. But I do not believe there is any such thing as an uncontrollable craving. Sometimes when there is a bag of Cheetos around, I am not able to control my urge to eat the whole bag. But this is purely my lack of sef control. Were I physically restrained and unable to eat the Cheetos, I would suffer no ill effects, other than mood and possibly hunger (if I were really hungry at the time). And I don't believe you would have with whatever you were craving either. There was nothing physically forcing food into your mouth just because you craved it.

That is not meant to be agressive, passively or not. Most people who have had a weight problem at some time have food weeknesses. Some are stronger than others. But the fact that you did at some point stop eating these things pretty much proves that you could.
  • blackiris49
    blackiris49 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    I found this BBC documentary about low carb dieting on Youtube. It mainly comments on the Atkins diet and looks into the 'eat as much as you like' part of the diet. The "disappearing calories' everyone is on about. They researched the metabolic increase idea- not the answer, the ketones lost in urine idea- not the answer.
    They compared reduced calorie diets against Atkins- Atkins won hands down to their surprise.
    Then they repeated this, but this time all food eaten had to be logged. It turns out that if both groups ate the same number of calories per day weight loss was the same for both groups.
    It seems that although Atkins has no restrictions on the amount of food you eat, it in itself is self limiting as the high protein is more filling so you eat less calories, as you feel full quicker.

Anyway the link is below, I am no expert in all of this so see for yourselves and see what you think.

It comes in 6 parts if I remember rightly.

BBC Story about Low Carb Dieting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2d_wxJageqw
  • Akimajuktuq
    Akimajuktuq Posts: 3,037 Member
    Options

I was not trying to be passive aggressive. But I do not believe there is any such thing as an uncontrollable craving. Sometimes when there is a bag of Cheetos around, I am not able to control my urge to eat the whole bag. But this is purely my lack of sef control. Were I physically restrained and unable to eat the Cheetos, I would suffer no ill effects, other than mood and possibly hunger (if I were really hungry at the time). And I don't believe you would have with whatever you were craving either. There was nothing physically forcing food into your mouth just because you craved it.

That is not meant to be agressive, passively or not. Most people who have had a weight problem at some time have food weeknesses. Some are stronger than others. But the fact that you did at some point stop eating these things pretty much proves that you could.

You are not accepting that my experience is my experience. I'm not talking about "normal" craving and bingeing is never normal. It has nothing to do with willpower. This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological. Fine if many people don't agree, but this thread asked for opinions from people who have experience with this lifestyle. It would be great if people who think it is stupid, a fad, dangerous, or whatever, based on no first-hand experience would go amuse themselves with posts that fit with their own philosophies.
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    You are not accepting that my experience is my experience.

I can accept that your experience has hijacked almost every thread I've seen on the primal/paleo lifestyle
  • slbeutler
    Options
    Reading this thread has been interesting and has given me something to do to pass the afternoon away at work. I did want to add one thing.

Weight loss happens by a caloric deficit and that is a fact. Eating and overeating are different for different people and for those of us who struggle with it, it is an emotional issue. For some people, when you tell them they are restricted to a certain number of calories they feel deprived and cannot stick to it, so if say you can eat whatever you want as long as you stick to this list, emotionally they can handle it. For others, if you say you cannot eat certain things to them, it makes them feel deprived and thus a low carb diet may not work for them. When you eat Paleo , you are in essence cutting out entire food groups and as a result creating a caloric deficit. Either way, you will eventually lose weight.

My point is, do whatever works for you and don't judge others for what they choose to do.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

You are indeed a special snowflake if you think the energy balance equations don't apply to you.
    What do you think your body burns in the place of calories?
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    Eating a calorie deficit is good for weight loss

^^ This is the only way to lose weight.

Paleo is a lifestyle. You can eat at a deficit and lose weight while eating Paleo. Or you can eat too many calories and gain while eating Paleo. Or you can eat maintenance and maintain while eating Paleo.

If you like it and find it's something you can stick with, go for it. You will need to cook.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options

This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological.

Hmmm doing a quick search, I've found no recorded cases of food jumping into someone's mouth that caused them to become overweight, nor any cases of a food taking over your body and forcing you to eat more food against your will. So overeating is lack of self control/will power, there are some exceptions like binge eating disorder which is a mental disorder
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Options

You are indeed a special snowflake if you think the energy balance equations don't apply to you.
    What do you think your body burns in the place of calories?
    Excuses, vitriol, and lack of personal accountability (I CANNOT resist the evil carb mind control rays! It is not a willpower issue!)

The combination seems to generate a large quantity of calories from the ether for many people.
  • Tedebearduff
    Tedebearduff Posts: 1,155 Member
    Options
    I'm thinking about giving this a try. Is it good for weight loss? I hate cooking so will this be tough for me? Thanks for any tips, meal ideas, experiences etc

Its more of a lifestyle then it is a diet IMO. I've made my own kind of way of eating but the closet thing you would call it is paleo I guess .. I didn't even know what paleo was until after I started my journey and than my friend told me what I was doing was "paleo" I was just umm okay cool. Check my ticker for results I started in May of this year
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options

This statement is not accurate.
    As someone who is insulin resistant, I could eat at a calorie deficit by consuming mostly sugary carbs and I won't lose a pound. I will gain- a lot. I am interested in being healthy, so sugar is not my choice of fuel and I am more focused on proper nutrition. That being said, the QUALITY of the calories is just as important as the QUANTITY . ALSO- a very important point needs to be made. TOO much calorie deficit and the weight loss will also stop. Our bodies are efficient and will conserve energy. To disregard the impact of hormones and metabolic damage is unfair and unwise. The general premise that a caloric deficit is necessary is true- but it is not the WHOLE truth.
    I am a bit shocked at how snarky some people are here. I thought this was a place for support. :( If this fat loss journey was easy, we'd all be at our goals in no time. Let's be supportive of all snowflakes. ;)

On the Paleo topic-- Paleo and Primal can be very healthy ways to live. I find they help break sugar cravings/addictions. You will need to cook but there are many places to get great recipes. Many you can just throw in a slow cooker and come back to with little effort. Any goal worth achieving takes effort. Maybe you need to try something new? Everyone has their own struggles. You have to decide what things you are willing to change to reach your goals.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options

As someone who is insulin resistant, I could eat at a calorie deficit by consuming mostly sugary carbs and I won't lose a pound. I will gain- a lot. I am interested in being healthy, so sugar is not my choice of fuel and I am more focused on proper nutrition. That being said, the QUALITY of the calories is just as important as the QUANTITY . ALSO- a very important point needs to be made. TOO much calorie deficit and the weight loss will also stop. Our bodies are efficient and will conserve energy. To disregard the impact of hormones and metabolic damage is unfair and unwise. The general premise that a caloric deficit is necessary is true- but it is not the WHOLE truth.
    I am a bit shocked at how snarky some people are here. I thought this was a place for support. :( If this fat loss journey was easy, we'd all be at our goals in no time. Let's be supportive of all snowflakes. ;)

On the Paleo topic-- Paleo and Primal can be very healthy ways to live. I find they help break sugar cravings/addictions. You will need to cook but there are many places to get great recipes. Many you can just throw in a slow cooker and come back to with little effort. Any goal worth achieving takes effort. Maybe you need to try something new? Everyone has their own struggles. You have to decide what things you are willing to change to reach your goals.

So, if I fed you 600 calories a day of sugar, and just the base amount of protein and fat to keep you alive, then ran you on a treadmill for 1 hour, and we did this for 90 days. Would you weigh more or less?
  • crowunruh
    crowunruh Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I personally spent ALOT of money each week on food. It was nice to follow, I did it for about 3 months, but it was not something I could stick with long term. I did not see much weight loss either.
  • toddis
    toddis Posts: 941 Member
    Options
    My friend swears by paleo and how it makes her feel better, etc etc. I think it really helps people that have unknown food allergies/sensitivities and don't want to bother figuring out what causes them.
  • Healthgirl78
    Healthgirl78 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Now that you throw an hour of exercise in the mix you are changing the rules. I would have serious issues and be non-functional on that plan. 600 cals of sugar plus that much physical activity would burn up any muscle I had and I would be a very unhealthy individual. My blood sugar would be so whacked out. Without exercise and just eating 600 calories of sugar- that would be a toss up if I lost. I have gone that low on calories before and it didn't end well.
    I apologize. I thought we were working with healthy ideas and facts for fat loss. Your plan would have disastrous results.
    And I didn't say it wasn't true- just not totally accurate. Caloric deficit is not the whole story.

I'll go back to logging my info and ignoring the message boards.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    Caloric deficit IS the whole story. Insulin resistance changes the calories out side of the equation, so you wouldn't be eating at a caloric deficit, hence weight gain instead of weight loss.

The laws of thermodynamics always apply. Just like gravity always applies.
  • KS_4691
    KS_4691 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    Do what you want and not what some rand-ars on the internet think is best.
    I love paleo, but you gotta want it to stick to it.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options

That's not exactly true. Even with insulin resistance, you will lose weight eating at a calorie deficit. You just have to know what a calorie deficit is. You will not gain weight at a calorie deficit.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    You are not accepting that my experience is my experience. I'm not talking about "normal" craving and bingeing is never normal. It has nothing to do with willpower. This is why I comment on paleo/primal threads, because I have experience with this lifestyle (more primal at the moment) and because many paleo/primal experts, including some doctors, have actually explained why over-eating is NOT just willpower or lack of, but physiological. Fine if many people don't agree, but this thread asked for opinions from people who have experience with this lifestyle. It would be great if people who think it is stupid, a fad, dangerous, or whatever, based on no first-hand experience would go amuse themselves with posts that fit with their own philosophies.

Please don't put words in my mouth (or keyboard). I never said the diet is stupid or dangerous. There is no need to have experience with the paleo diet to know about what happens when NOT eating a paleo diet, which is what we were discussing. If you can, without becoming upset or irate, would you tell me where to find the explanations from medical professionals explaining why overeating is physiological? But if it upsets you then please don't bother.

**edited to remove some of the quotes due to length.