Noob season at the gym already?

Options

Replies

• Zalovar
    Zalovar Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Thread made me lol, I was talking about this today with my instructor. At least there trying, some may even stick it out.

^ This

This. At least they are there. You were a noob at one time too. Instead of staring at them, help them out. Encourage them to keep coming back.

And this too ^ ... everyone starts somewhere :-)

Agreed. A gym can be an intimidating place for newbies - that may be part of the reason at least some of them quit after a few weeks. A little encouragement might actually make a huge difference to someone. Help em out! I know the crowding might inconvenience some of us but I tend to work harder when I work out if I see other people working hard too!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    we are cool as long as they dont curl in the squat rack:angry:
  • letjog
    letjog Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    it's actually quiet at my gym at the moment!
  • Brunner26_2
    Brunner26_2 Posts: 1,152
    Options
    Good for them for trying. But if they don't stick it out, hopefully they don't cancel their memberships right away. Without the noob money, rates would go up for everyone else.
  • BeingAwesome247
    BeingAwesome247 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

LOVE this!

Awesome, just awesome
    Love this
  • Maidofmer
    Maidofmer Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    How about picking out one of those noobs who looks particularly uncomfortable being there, and walking over and saying hi? It seems every day there is a post on here by someone afraid to hit the free weight area or even walk into a gym. Why don't we all be part of the solution to that and try to help rather than just being a d*ck.

you're awesome
  • _Wits_
    _Wits_ Posts: 1,286 Member
    Options
    Seems to me it is people looking for a change...hopefully they feel welcomed and confident enough to learn and stick with it...I remember being the "noob".
  • SinCity2003
    SinCity2003 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    This thread is one of the reasons why, at my new gym that I joined on December 8th, I am uncomfortable. I had to ask a question yesterday and felt like everyone was staring at me. It's a reason why I didn't join what I consider a real gym for a long time and now that I have, I don't want to ask any questions. We all start somewhere and, at least for me, I'll be sticking through it but I know some won't.
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Welcome them in - you were as useless as they were first times in - oh yes you were!
  • crissyrox
    Options

Great response! I was just thinking the same thing. Imagine how far a little kindness could go.
  • WolfPackFan13
    WolfPackFan13 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I've noticed it too. I try to stay positive: "Good for them for trying to exercise more!"

What actually happens: "Get off my ****ing squat rack."

Aaannnddd now because of the post below mine, I feel like a jerk.
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options

LOVE this!

Me, too. I remember being a noob in the gym, and it isn't easy to go into a room full of people and start sweating buckets. Noobs already suspect gym rats are judging them, so why prove them right?

It isn't easy at all to make this huge step. Instead of complaining that they don't know how to operate the treadmill, how about show them? Put out your hand, introduce yourself, and make them feel welcome. They have just as much right to the free weights and ellipticals as the ones who've been going for years.
  • caseythirteen
    caseythirteen Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I've noticed a lot more faces too but I'm assuming they aren't all new. Likely that some people are just shifting to morning workouts to account for more evening plans this time of year.
  • Fozzi43
    Fozzi43 Posts: 2,984 Member
    Options
    I wish I had a gym to go to :(
  • Yogi_Carl
    Yogi_Carl Posts: 1,906 Member
    Options
    Just out of interest - is it just weights rooms and gyms where you get this anti behaviour towards new members? does it happen when new folks join running and cycling clubs as well? I've never seen it in yoga classes, but then your own mat is your own space. How about swimming clubs?
  • EatClean_WashUrNuts
    EatClean_WashUrNuts Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Seriously? Why does it bother you? Lt the Moore on getting healthy rather than impose your thoughts
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Agreed.

But I noticed mine come in with the time change, so they probably worked out outside and now it's too dark when they get home. So then they're not really noobs.
  • stanluoser
    Options
    It will probably get more packed after christmas, because people are probably buying gym memberships for family members. But they will eventually clear out after 2-3 months when they lose motivation!
  • dare2love81
    dare2love81 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    Yep...cardio deck has been pretty packed since Thanksgiving. But the free weights and classes have been about the same, maybe even fewer patrons - which is fine by me since that's where I spend about 95% of my time! :bigsmile:
  • Division12
    Division12 Posts: 10 Member
    Options

THIS, thank you.

I was a noob this time last year, and guess what, I'm still here. It makes me so happy to see other people doing this, because I know how hard it is. Calm down, do your thing, and stop being so condescending.
This discussion has been closed.